Sign in to follow this  
DJ

ID theft

BofA and whoever handles the accounts for Chase....

both have called me in the last week to verify some info. When I dug a little further, it seems that someone in Cali is using my SSN for some purpose, but no cards or anything else has been put in my name, at least no yet, according to my CR. I put a fraud alert on all three reports for 90 days, I pull my file daily to check it, and I called the Social Security Admin, and they said that they see nothing wrong with my account.

What do I do now? Did some research, but didn't find much.

Thank's!

BofA and whoever handles the accounts for Chase....

both have called me in the last week to verify some info. When I dug a little further, it seems that someone in Cali is using my SSN for some purpose, but no cards or anything else has been put in my name, at least no yet, according to my CR. I put a fraud alert on all three reports for 90 days, I pull my file daily to check it, and I called the Social Security Admin, and they said that they see nothing wrong with my account.

What do I do now? Did some research, but didn't find much.

Thank's!

I use to work for SSA. Often, I noticed that the SSNs were mainly being used to obtain employment for illegal immigrants. Employers would ask for the SSN along with the card and voila. You should go to the nearest SSA office and ask if there are earnings posted on your SSN via a DEQY aka, Detailed Earnings Query. They may charge a nominal fee. If you find nothing out of the ordinary, you should be okay on the SSA end. However, if you find earnings that clearly do not belong to you, you can point that out as being erroneous. You can then call the employer yourself and notify them that your SSN is being misused. All you can really do afterwards is notify as you have already to put a fraud alert on your cr for possibly an extended period of time.

Hope this helps.

I'd just find out the next unknown address that shows up on your credit report, take a vacation over there and punch that person in the mouth.

I don't know about you, but I kind of like the idea of several illigals busting their butts to put money into my SSI account. As long as they don't try to open credit cards in my name, they can pay in all they want. Someday I'll be collecting off that income...hehehe

(I'm sure this senerio wouldn't work out the way I'm envisioning, but the concept of someone doing you a favor by stealing your identity is funny)

My mom had this same problem when she went to purchase a house about 15 years ago. She had no clue that someone was using her SSN for close to 10 years.

Shortly after she got her cr's, the IRS and others were contacting her right and left about employment, etc. Scariest was when the IRS notified that she owed some outrageous amount for taxes... that put her over the top and she was pissed.

We all kinda thought the same way... he's putting into her retirement... unfortunately not true (although his wages would have been NICE)... they remove this amount from your accumulation when they know that the real person did not work for the specified companies.

I would just keep monitoring the CRs and checking almost weekly with SSA and even the EDD offices. Believe it or not, they don't communicate with each other here in cali.

~Daizzy

I don't know about you, but I kind of like the idea of several illigals busting their butts to put money into my SSI account. As long as they don't try to open credit cards in my name, they can pay in all they want. Someday I'll be collecting off that income...hehehe

(I'm sure this senerio wouldn't work out the way I'm envisioning, but the concept of someone doing you a favor by stealing your identity is funny)

SSI is Suppmental Security Income, which is a Federal Welfare program and has nothing to do with Social Security Taxes. Fund is derived from general tax revenue.

Social Security Retirement, Disability, Survivors benefits is the program you're referencing. In the end, you attest that the earnings are in fact yours and it is correct. It's under penalty of perjury so in reality, you would be breaking the law punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. Normally, earnings that are truly not yours would be reallocated to a database. The earnings are suspended until further notice.

Sorry.

My mom had this same problem when she went to purchase a house about 15 years ago. She had no clue that someone was using her SSN for close to 10 years.

Shortly after she got her cr's, the IRS and others were contacting her right and left about employment, etc. Scariest was when the IRS notified that she owed some outrageous amount for taxes... that put her over the top and she was pissed.

We all kinda thought the same way... he's putting into her retirement... unfortunately not true (although his wages would have been NICE)... they remove this amount from your accumulation when they know that the real person did not work for the specified companies.

I would just keep monitoring the CRs and checking almost weekly with SSA and even the EDD offices. Believe it or not, they don't communicate with each other here in cali.

~Daizzy

Absolutely correct but I wouldn't check on a weekly basis. Perhaps monthly or quarterly until you've figured out that no one is really using the SSN for employment purposes.

SSI is Suppmental Security Income, which is a Federal Welfare program and has nothing to do with Social Security Taxes. Fund is derived from general tax revenue.

Social Security Retirement, Disability, Survivors benefits is the program you're referencing. In the end, you attest that the earnings are in fact yours and it is correct. It's under penalty of perjury so in reality, you would be breaking the law punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. Normally, earnings that are truly not yours would be reallocated to a database. The earnings are suspended until further notice.

Sorry.

You knew what I was talking about but thanks for the correction. Like I said I'm sure said senario would not work out. The point I was making reaping rewards from someone stealing you identity would be funny. It's usually the other way around. Obviously you have no sense of humor.

Edited by brendrek

Sorry.

You knew what I was talking about but thanks for the correction. Like I said I'm sure said senario would not work out. The point I was making reaping rewards from someone stealing you identity would be funny. It's usually the other way around. Obviously you have no sense of humor.

I actually have a great sense of humor. I wasn't trying to come off as a stiff. Just trying to make a point.

When I typed SSI, I was thinking Social Security Income. Obiously using that abbreviation caused confusion since it's actually another program. My entire post was meant to be tounge in cheek, and your reply is about the real consequences of doing what I was joking about. As far as I know there are no illegals paying into my pot. Have a nice day!

When I typed SSI, I was thinking Social Security Income. Obiously using that abbreviation caused confusion since it's actually another program. My entire post was meant to be tounge in cheek, and your reply is about the real consequences of doing what I was joking about. As far as I know there are no illegals paying into my pot. Have a nice day!

um, okay

Its all fun and games until the IRS comes knocking and wonders why someone hasn't been paying income taxes on all that money. Pocketrockits is right about this one.

A local contractor had the same idea a couple of years ago and gave his SSN out to illegal alien daylaborers that did clean up work for him. He thought he was smarter than anyone else and making money off the illegal aliens.

Then the IRS showed up and had lots of questions....