Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Dominos delivery refused to give me my pizza!

The last post in this topic was posted 4803 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I ordered a pizza from Dominos and paid with my cc. The delivery chic came to my door with my pizza demanding to see my cc. I asked her why because no one had ever asked to see my card before. She told me she needed to see that the last four digits matched the ones on my reciept even before I had signed it. I thought it was really odd. I took the reciept and covered all the numbers on my cc except for the last four with the reciept. Then I held it out for her to look at. She tried to grab my card away from me and said she needed to see the entire card. I said No chance in hell. ( At this point I still hadn't signed the reciept) She then told me that she needed to see my ID along with the card. Again, I said no. I told her that if she was insisting on seeing my ID and the card, she didn't want to deliver that pizza. She left and I called the manager. The manager insisted that it was store policy to check ID along with the cc. I filed a complaint online with Dominos and then called 1-800-VISA 911. I'm getting ready to file an online dispute with the BBB, because they still charged me for the pizza and first thing in the AM I'm going to call the bank. I have never in my entire life had a pizza delivery person try to take my card and ask for my ID. I can see checking signatures, but nobody needs to holding a card in thier hand to look at a signature.

When I called Visa, the promts were different. I pushed 6 and was prepared to push 0, then 0, but instead I had to enter my cc number and then I was transfered to a live person who took down all the info. The first thing he asked me was "Is the card signed?" and yes, the card is signed. Has anyone else called Visa had the promts different than what has been posted here before?

A pizza delivery is initially (over the phone) processed as a "card not present" transaction. They type in your card number when you call and place the order and send the driver out with the invoice. Generally, on this type of transaction, what is done is they take your card and make an imprint of it. There are various ways to do this; my favorite is they take and put your card on top of the pizza bag, then put the receipt atop the card, then run the side of their pen across the area where the card is embossed. This copies the card number onto the receipt be it a thermal or a carbon copy receipt. This turns it into a "card present" transaction.

Basically, my opinion here is, they were within their rights to ask for your card and compare the last four numbers on it to that on the receipt. They would have also been within their rights by taking an imprint of the card. However, asking for ID is out of line.

I have refused two pizza deliveries with one particular chain out here called Round Table because the drivers have refused to complete the delivery unless I show them ID. I also nearly refused to pick up a pizza at Pizza Hut when they insited on the ID. As I was walking out, but then asked them for their information so I could report them, they agreed to accept the card without any ID. I have never had the Pizza Hut drivers ask for ID, though they do copy the card using the method described above involving the delivery bag and pen. Round Table will no longer deliver to me unless I give them a different phone number than the one which I told them when I refused the two deliveries. They also no longer require ID.

Now, how comfortable am I with someone taking a copy of my card number and my home address information in their car with them, hopefully back to the pizza place? Not very. They could easily go online, use the address verification card processing, and make charges using my card. In this case I almost don't want them to compare signatures since looking at the signature panel shows them the three digit security code which is the final piece of information needed and only thing they don't walk away with (since they already have your name, address, card number, exp date) needed to order stuff via websites... but I don't want to show them any ID either.

Maybe it is better to just pay them cash, now that I think about it.

Also with Visa I think it is 1, 6, #0, #0

Edited by thelowpriceleader

A pizza delivery is initially (over the phone) processed as a "card not present" transaction. They type in your card number when you call and place the order and send the driver out with the invoice. Generally, on this type of transaction, what is done is they take your card and make an imprint of it. There are various ways to do this; my favorite is they take and put your card on top of the pizza bag, then put the receipt atop the card, then run the side of their pen across the area where the card is embossed. This copies the card number onto the receipt be it a thermal or a carbon copy receipt. This turns it into a "card present" transaction

I have never seen this done. I wouldn't let someone copy my card like that, they don't need a copy of the card. I will sign for it and show my signature if asked, but I will not hand over my card for any reason and then give my ID.

I deliver pizza, so I'll pop in here.

I used to deliver in a REALLY rough area of town - we had to take an imprint of the card (last 4 digits only) to prove the card was present. This was put into effect after we had people using stolen credit card numbers to order pizza. Since we weren't asking for proof they actually had the card, it was easy for them to get away with it. It was grounds for termination if we did not prove physical presence of the card, and they would take it out of our pay if it came back fraudulent and we didn't take the imprint (if we did what we were supposed to, we were in the clear). However, we were NOT required to ask for ID per our store policy.

The place I deliver for now does not require the card to be presented. They also accept checks, whereas my old store did not because something like 75% of the checks were hot.

If it bothers you that much, pay with cash. Most drivers prefer that anyway - usually the tips are better. :lol:

Edited by violakat03

I delivery for Dominos and I don't think the driver meant she needed to copy the whole thing but with the OP holding the card and covering all but the last 4 digits it would make it very difficult to get the imprint.

Whatever the case may be, for someone to show up at my house with a completed, cooked pizza, and then demand to see my ID to prove that I am not using a stolen card for the purchase, is completely out of line. I have told this company my name, address, etc. If it is a stolen card, they can easily file a report with the police. Plus if they take the imprint and get a signature, they will get credit for the transaction anyway even if it is a stolen card. They can't resell the pizza. Refusing to sell to me is simply wasting both my time and their time.

The pizza chains ought to use AVS, but that would really increase the time needed to take orders (if I am at a friend's house using my card to order pizza there for instance). Also, it seems, most pizza chains I've done business with do not have their credit card processing system integrated in with the delivery/ordering system but I realize this is changing.

Edited by thelowpriceleader

where I live, it is common for them to make an imprint of the card since the order is done over the phone and could easily be disputed by you. Having the imprint of the card proves that the card was present.

Personally, I think you over-reacted. I would have taken the pizza back too. I mean, all they were asking was to see your card. You are acting like they were trying to break into Fort Knox or something. People need to start calming down with all this stuff already. Sheesh...

That's standard around here too. They take the number over the phone and make an imprint on delivery. It's also standard practice to make sure your ID matches the name on the card.

You over-reacted. The driver became suspicious when you wouldn't let her see the card. I would have been suspicious of you too.

where I live, it is common for them to make an imprint of the card since the order is done over the phone and could easily be disputed by you. Having the imprint of the card proves that the card was present.

Personally, I think you over-reacted. I would have taken the pizza back too. I mean, all they were asking was to see your card. You are acting like they were trying to break into Fort Knox or something. People need to start calming down with all this stuff already. Sheesh...

Yeah, at some point it gets absurd. The only way to protect yourself 100% is to never remove the card from your wallet. At some point you have to take it out and use it.

That's standard around here too. They take the number over the phone and make an imprint on delivery. It's also standard practice to make sure your ID matches the name on the card.

You over-reacted. The driver became suspicious when you wouldn't let her see the card. I would have been suspicious of you too.

Even the argument that that don't need to know your address when they see your ID is moot... they're there. If you're at your own home, of course.

Im a delivery guy......we make an imprint of the entire card.

The OP covering up most of the card like that would have struck me as odd behavior.......

Im a delivery guy......we make an imprint of the entire card.

The OP covering up most of the card like that would have struck me as odd behavior.......

Agreed ... it would be very odd. Make me believe there was something fishy about the card. I'd probably refuse to take it on grounds it was possibly fraudulent.

I think it's different per-store on the imprints. The store is probably safer with an imprint of the WHOLE card, that way they can prove it was the same 16 digit number, but we were only told to get the last 4 since that's all we could match on the receipt (X'd out first 12).

Why should I let any delivery person take an imprint of my entire credit card number? I've ordered pizza many times from Papa Johns with a credit card and they just ask me to present the card on delivery. If they dared imprint the numbers I'd tell them to take a hike.

Why should I let any delivery person take an imprint of my entire credit card number? I've ordered pizza many times from Papa Johns with a credit card and they just ask me to present the card on delivery. If they dared imprint the numbers I'd tell them to take a hike.

But it's okay for them to swipe it at the register?

Swiping proves to the CC company that you had the card physically. Imprinting does the same - remember the days before magnetic swipes everywhere? You have to prove the card was there physically, that way the cardholder can't come back and say it was a fraudulent charge because the card was not present at the time of the transaction. Covers the company's rear, covers the driver's rear, and if you don't like it .. start paying cash for your pizza.

Swiping proves to the CC company that you had the card physically. Imprinting does the same - remember the days before magnetic swipes everywhere? You have to prove the card was there physically, that way the cardholder can't come back and say it was a fraudulent charge because the card was not present at the time of the transaction. Covers the company's rear, covers the driver's rear, and if you don't like it .. start paying cash for your pizza.

Why should I trust the delivery person with my credit card number? Swiping your card at the register goes through a different system in which the card information is encrypted through a network, the clerk isn't handling my information directly.

Why should I trust the delivery person with my credit card number? Swiping your card at the register goes through a different system in which the card information is encrypted through a network, the clerk isn't handling my information directly.

Actually whether the clerks have access to CC info depends on the system being used. In the store I work for, clerks do have access to CC info on past transactions.

besides...imprinting a receipt like that COULD be a violation of Federal law...since receipts can NOT have more than the last 4 digits on them

IIRC, there is a thing at the bottom of the Dominos (and Pizza Hut) delivery page if you order online that the card and ID may be required when the pizza is delivered.

All you did was screw yourself out of a pizza.

ETA: If someone filed a report like this with the BBB and I worked there, I'd roll on the floor laughing.

Edited by TxQuiltGirl

besides...imprinting a receipt like that COULD be a violation of Federal law...since receipts can NOT have more than the last 4 digits on them

I'd be interested to know that. Not because I really care one way or the other as I keep a pretty close watch on all of my accounts and would see fraud almost right away.

But I still see places that use those imprint machines (when the phone lines are down and they can't run cards automatically) and also some department stores still make imprints of cards.

I personally think it is a silly thing to get upset about. If a person is that paranoid then they should use cash. Otherwise, simply checking your accounts from time to time should be sufficient.

If you're ordering over the phone the clerk is typing your card number into the computer (at least at my store) so if they really wanted it they have your full card number and address right in front of them.

I paid my way through college delivering pizzas. Your argument is silly. The drivers take most of the phone orders. You have no problem giving the delivery driver your name, address, phone number, credit card number and credit card expiration date on the phone but then say you don't "trust the delivery person with my credit card number" 25 minutes later at your door?

Maybe it is better to just pay them cash, now that I think about it.

Wait until they outlaw cash. :dntknw:

Actually whether the clerks have access to CC info depends on the system being used. In the store I work for, clerks do have access to CC info on past transactions.

What store do you work for? :dntknw: I just want to be sure I never shop there.

IIRC, there is a thing at the bottom of the Dominos (and Pizza Hut) delivery page if you order online that the card and ID may be required when the pizza is delivered.

All you did was screw yourself out of a pizza.

Maybe the store just screwed themselves out of a good customer. Plenty of other pizza places in town. :dntknw:

I order from Papa John's online weekly and use my cc and I've never been ask to present it OR ID upon delivery.

Another local pizza place asks for ID and the credit card and they copy ALL the information down from your DL. I don't order from them anymore.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Smoothblak
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines