Sign in to follow this  
Why Chat

CREDIT BLOCKS/FREEZES

I have posted a link on my website to "Creditlock".

It is under "Misc. Legal Stuff"

I am posting the link on my website ( with their permission) as they seem to offer some valuable services and up to date data on identity theft.

This is NOT an endorsement of any of their products or services, although I DID check them out before requesting their permission to link.

Illinois!!! Woohoo. Bye bye experian for $10!!! Don't even have to claim ID theft. Just request them to block and pay $10.

Sean

Edited by sean1397

do you have to go through this site to put a security freeze on, or can you do it yourself? would love to put it on experian

do you have to go through this site to put a security freeze on, or can you do it yourself? would love to put it on experian

If it is legal in your State then I believe you can do it directly with each CRA on their website.

Looking at some of the CRA websites, however, they seem to make it very difficult to do without signing up for one of their monitoring services.

The site I posted, although fairly new, seems to have simplified a lot of the procedures and has some cool surveys and news data too. :blush:

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any link to Credilock under misc. legal.

Possibly!!! :P No it's under there I think it's the second or third on down under it

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any link to Credilock under misc. legal.

Possibly!!! :P No it's under there I think it's the second or third on down under it

Where's the link?

LEGAL STUFF

FTC

Everything You Need To Know + Filing Complaint

FACTA INFORMATION & FREE CREDIT REPORTS

Roll Out Dates & FACTA Rules

FACTA RULES UPDATES

FCRA

Compiled

THE GRAMM-LEACH-BLILEY ACT

Privacy of Consumer Financial Information

LAW LIBRARY

Extensive case files on ALL topics

COURT RULES AND FORMS

Links To All County Clerk Offices

COURT PROCEDURES

Links to all State's Courts Rules & Procedures

MORE STATE COURT PROCEDURES

CIVIL PROCEDURE

State Rules Of Service

FDCPA 2004 REPORT

Latest report with updated opinions

FDIC RULES

Chargeoff and re-aging rules for ORIGINAL CREDITORS

STATE CREDIT STATUTES

Statutes Relating To Contract Changes

1099C FORGIVEN DEBT

IRS Rules On 1099C

NOTARY TERMS

Check for "back dated" fraudulent notarizations

BAD CHECK LAWS

State Bad Check Statutes

GENERAL AUTO REPO RULES

STATE AUTO REPO LAWS

Requirements For Legal Repossession

STATE'S PRIVACY & CONSUMER PROTECTION

Statutes On Privacy & Related Frauds

ENFORCING FOREIGN JUDGMENTS

Rules For Domestication and Enforcement

STATE'S TAPING LAWS

State Laws On Tel.Wiretapping

STATE INTEREST RATES AND USURY LAWS

Legal Interest Limits

STUDENT LOANS

Information on defaulted student loans

MEDICAL INFORMATION BUREAU

Free Annual Report

BANKRUPTCY INFORMATION

FEDERAL & STATE EXEMPTIONS

What Is Exempt From Seizure

BANKRUPTCY TIME LINE

Schedules & Rules

Where's the link?

Refresh your link to my website.

MISC. LEGAL STUFF

FTC

FACTA RULES UPDATES

FCRA

Compiled

CREDITLOCK

States That Allow Credit Blocks

:angel:

Where's the link?

Refresh your link to my website.

MISC. LEGAL STUFF

FTC

FACTA RULES UPDATES

FCRA

Compiled

CREDITLOCK

States That Allow Credit Blocks

;)

I've refreshed it, cleared it and nothing works. I still don't see that info. :D

www dot creditlock dot com.

Thanks Marv, I was able to get via that website.

Thanks to you Whychat also for trying to help. I don't know what's wrong with my computer.

I am updating the thread with this:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=251743

As I would really like some feedback on the success rate of improving disputes after a freeze.

I would also like to know if anyone who signs up with them for the monitoring services or uses their other services is satisfied.

The people whom I have dealt with so far have reported good results, but I would like to get a larger sampling before I can REALLY say that a "freeze" or "block" helps with credit repair.

I will "bounce" this thread from time to time to get feedback within the same thread instead of starting new ones.

( In the interest of full disclosure, I need to say that they are contributing to one of my listed charities on the basis of hits through my website) :lol:

I am updating the thread with this:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=251743

As I would really like some feedback on the success rate of improving disputes after a freeze.

I would also like to know if anyone who signs up with them for the monitoring services or uses their other services is satisfied.

The people whom I have dealt with so far have reported good results, but I would like to get a larger sampling before I can REALLY say that a "freeze" or "block" helps with credit repair.

I will "bounce" this thread from time to time to get feedback within the same thread instead of starting new ones.

( In the interest of full disclosure, I need to say that they are contributing to one of my listed charities on the basis of hits through my website) :lol:

Forgive my ignorance or naivity (word?) but can you give me an example of how this helps us? I'm sure it does..just wondering what types of scenarios it plays into............however dang it doesn't cover Oregon yet!

Forgive my ignorance or naivety (word?) but can you give me an example of how this helps us? I'm sure it does..just wondering what types of scenarios it plays into............however dang it doesn't cover Oregon yet!

The people who I have known (in Fl.) who placed the block/freeze on their credit reports were able to dispute accounts off that had seemed intractable from OC's and CA's.

They had tried before with my SOL letter and had SOME accounts stick like glue.

It seems to work particularly well when there were old leftover accounts that had someone elses name mixed in, ( NOT ID theft) by mistake.

I deal mostly with seniors, and the block/freeze for them is free in Fl. so I am interested in seeing how it works for you "youngsters". :angry::cry2:

In Identity Theft Protection, Does Credit Freeze or Credit Monitoring

Make More Sense?

April 30, 2007

As Identity Theft threatens the privacy, financial security, and freedom of individuals throughout the world, pro-active and prudent citizens are turning to Credit Freeze (also known as Credit Lock and Security Freeze).

Does Credit Freeze, or Credit Monitoring make more sense?

There are almost no inconveniences associated with Credit Monitoring,other than the cost which in most cases can range between $100 and $150 per year.

Credit Freeze is typically free for victims of identity theft,( and senior citizens in Florida) and for non-victims, it can cost as little as nothing, as in Colorado, New Jersey and New York,or as much as $20 per Credit Bureau($60 for all three Credit Bureaus) as in Delaware.

From a cost perspective, a Credit Freeze seems cheaper. On the other hand, consumers may find a Credit Freeze inconvenient in case they are actively looking for credit, employment or a rental.

A Credit Freeze does not prevent consumers from securing such services,as it can be removed on a permanent or temporary basis (either for a specific period or specific creditor).

It is possible consumers do not want to wait a few days for removal. Some States, such as Utah, are starting to require that a removal be implemented in no more than 15 minutes. If this trend continues, then the associated inconvenience is practically gone.

It is also possible that consumers find the multitude of Credit Freeze laws, requirements and fees hard to follow and implement.but a new service, Credit Lock Down Proâ„¢, offered at creditlock.com,streamlines such information, procedures, and requirements, using an interactive color-coded U.S. map, and

Print & Fill kits.

Many consumers may still be unaware of the availability and details of a Credit Freeze. Credit Monitoring has become a multi billion dollar business, and is actively promoted by all CRA providers, Credit Freeze is not promoted by them at all.

Despite the current wider acceptance of Credit Monitoring than Credit

Freeze which service makes more sense?

Credit Freeze is both an Identity Theft Deterrence and Defense tool. Credit Monitoring is an Identity Theft Detection tool.Since unauthorized access to a Credit Report is blocked through the initiation of a Credit Freeze, criminals are mostly unable to secure credit in the name of their victims.

In the case of Credit Monitoring, consumers will be able to tell if someone has already accessed their Credit Report, or requested and possibly received Credit in their name. However Credit Monitoring will not be able to prevent the unauthorized issuance of credit in their name, unless they follow ID theft

detection with Fraud Alerts, and a Credit Freeze .

A Credit Freeze is more effective in preventing the issuance of unauthorized credit. If, despite a Credit Freeze , a criminal is capable of securing unauthorized credit (a highly unlikely scenario), the victim will need Credit

Monitoring to discover the unauthorized activity.

What makes most sense is for consumers to possibly utilize both services. A complete Identity Theft Protection strategy requires all three components of Deterrence, Detection and Defense. An analogy is a home security system. It is important to have a locked door and secure windows at your home to deny access to intruders. It is important to have motion detection sensors inside the house, in case an intruder is able to bypass the locked door and secure window. It is also important to have an alarm, to notify the owners, police, and neighbors of a forced entry. The locked door and secure windows are the Credit Freeze,the motion detection sensors are the Credit Monitoring. The alarm is the Fraud Alerts.

Most individuals have a home security system and a car security system.

Damages associated with burglary and auto theft are frequently less than damages associated with Identity Theft. It makes sense to have Identity Theft Protection .Credit Freeze Credit Monitoring and Fraud Alerts all an integral part of such protection.

For those who are concerned with credit REPAIR, remember that the block/freeze possibly prevents unauthorized "pulls" also :dntknw:

how does this credit lock help us with credit repair...

does it block a creditor from confirming a dispute... does it lock the report from creditors....?

how does this credit lock help us with credit repair...

does it block a creditor from confirming a dispute... does it lock the report from creditors....?

I do not know for sure, which is why I am asking for feedback.

I have only 3 people who have had freeze/blocks put on their reports who had left over credit dispute problems, shortly after the freeze/blocks were in place I helped them redispute the "sticky" derogs, they ALL got immediate deletions.

Now, they were all seniors,( free freeze) and they all had prior trouble getting deletions with only ONE CRA of the 3, so I do not know how it would work with the other CRA's or with younger ( fee paying) folks.

Thanks Why Chat! :blush:

I assume TC, CS and PM sevices will still function, only blocking hard pulls correct? I am also opted out to take care of the softs.

Thanks Why Chat! :lol:

I assume TC, CS and PM sevices will still function, only blocking hard pulls correct? I am also opted out to take care of the softs.

I can make NO assumptions on this topic. As I said before, I BELIEVE it will help in credit repair, but I have NO "real-time" knowledge of how it will affect things like pre-existing monitoring services.

I assume that the monitoring service offered by the credit block service linked on my website would allow for constant monitoring. They have advised me that they have toll free #'s and e-mail customer service so any questions about any of their services will be answered promptly. :)

I'm in California and have a freeze on EX and EQ for 1 month now.

I have had TC for 6 months.

EX file no longer shows under TC with the freeze. File is blank and says it's frozen.

EQ was unaffected on TC with the freeze.

Not sure about PM or any other monitoring services.

Hope that helps.

I'm in California and have a freeze on EX and EQ for 1 month now.

I have had TC for 6 months.

EX file no longer shows under TC with the freeze. File is blank and says it's frozen.

EQ was unaffected on TC with the freeze.

Not sure about PM or any other monitoring services.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, but from what I am reading in other posts TC is rather unreliable all around.

I hope someone with some OTHER monitoring service chimes in. :blink: