• more than 10 new accounts
  5. 5. Overall utilization just prior to F/R

• Less than 10%
    • 11-30%
    • 31-50%
    • 51-70%
    • 71-90%
    • 100% or over limit
  6. 6. Do you carry a balance on at least one AmEx card?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never
  7. 7. Did you pay off a balance you had been carrying?

• Yes - all in one big payment
    • Yes - in a series of large payments
    • Yes - in regular payments over at least a year
    • No
  8. 8. Did you recently stop charging on all your AmEx accounts

• Yes - I had a special BT rate
    • Yes, I started using another card for regular purchases
    • No, I never used AmEx as my card of choice
    • No, I was charging normally
  9. 9. Did something cause a sudden drop in your score just prior to F/R

• Yes - I know what caused the drop
    • Yes - I don't know what caused the drop
    • No, my scored had not changed, or went up
    • I have no idea
  10. 10. I had high utilization

• Yes but not on AmEx
    • Yes, including AmEx
    • No, but AmEx had high utilization
    • None of my cards had high utilization
  11. 11. Reported missed payments/over limit - 6 months prior to F/R

• I had missed a payment on AmEx
    • I had missed a payment on another card
    • I had gone overlimit with AmEX
    • I had gone over limit on another card
    • Both on AmEx
    • Both on another card
    • I had perfect history the prior 6 months
  12. 12. Derogs

• I had disputed a derog in the last year
    • I had disputed derogs more than a year ago
    • I have not had any derogs to dispute in the last 2 years
    • I don't know
  13. 13. Did/did not dance

• I danced a lot
    • I dance a little bit
    • I danced once or twice
    • I never danced
    • What's "dancing?"
  14. 14. Something I don't want to talk about (i.e. lied on application, lost job, etc)

• Yes, there's something hinky not covered in this survey
    • Nothing hinky that I know of
    • Don't want to discuss it, leave me alone
  15. 15. Compliance

• I could have complied, but refused on general principles
    • I tried to comply, but something went wrong
    • I complied and AmEx is treating me like royalty now
    • I complied and my treatment by AmEx has not changed
    • Don't ask, it's all bad
  16. 16. Employment/Income

• I am self employed less than 2 years
    • I am self employed more more than 2 years
    • At the same full time job for less than 2 years
    • At the same ful ltime job more than 2 years
    • I am employed part time
    • I am not employed (housewife, student, whatever)

It also appears that after 5 years, your chances of a F/R drop drastically.

I am not surprised. American Express is very big on tracking vintages (year that customer first got card). A lot of scrutiny goes into the most recent vintages.

I am not surprised. American Express is very big on tracking vintages (year that customer first got card). A lot of scrutiny goes into the most recent vintages.

I passed the 5 year mark in March of this year.

Tell that to GEORGE.

24 people who had AMEX accounts for over five years were FRed. Customers who had obviously kept their accounts in good standing for five years or more suddenly found their accounts frozen and received demands for at least a 4506-T, and who knows what else. That's ridiculous. No other company would do that to a customer in good standing.

Edited by Shawnee

Tell that to GEORGE.

24 people who had AMEX accounts for over five years were FRed. Customers who had obviously kept their accounts in good standing for five years or more suddenly found their accounts frozen and received demands for at least a 4506-T, and who knows what else. That's ridiculous. No other company would do that to a customer in good standing.

Yeah but GEORGE didn't have an actual F/R, IIRC he had the CLD. And I'd say all members have the same CLD probability if AMEX gets freaked by something on a report. Not advocating or justifying their quirkiness. But it appears all members are receiving several ARs during the month...

Tell that to GEORGE.

Yeah but GEORGE didn't have an actual F/R, IIRC he had the CLD. And I'd say all members have the same CLD probability if AMEX gets freaked by something on a report. Not advocating or justifying their quirkiness. But it appears all members are receiving several ARs during the month...

I prefer stable lenders who underwrite before the account is opened and don't chase balances, like CUs for example.

Tell that to GEORGE.

I prefer stable lenders who underwrite before the account is opened and don't chase balances, like CUs for example.

Yep, I always advocate a CU or 2 in everyones profile...

I've read in an article that they are reviewing the accounts based on occupation.

read this from the wall street journal on this very subject. http://www.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB...0886577.html%20

Employees in the Construction industry are being hit with reductions and F/R's . Why not add industry to your poll?

Tell that to GEORGE.

My reference was to the data showing at this point that a little less than 14% of those who had their cards over 5 years were F/R'd while a little over 86% who had their card less than 5 years were F/R'd.

Tell that to GEORGE.

My reference was to the data showing at this point that a little less than 14% of those who had their cards over 5 years were F/R'd while a little over 86% who had their card less than 5 years were F/R'd.

I understand, but in my opinion (and we all know how AMEX is with retaining customer data) five years or more is enough time to judge the customer on their own credit experience with AMEX. The number of customers who should be FRed after five years should be zero.

Tell that to GEORGE.

According to George, he was never actually F/Red.

Tell that to GEORGE.

I understand, but in my opinion (and we all know how AMEX is with retaining customer data) five years or more is enough time to judge the customer on their own credit experience with AMEX. The number of customers who should be FRed after five years should be zero.

In my opinion the number of folks who should be F/R'd is zero, regardless of when they rec'd their cards, unless they do the F/Ring before approving one for the card. Once you're approved, you should be good to go, unless you default, in my opinion.

I merely pointed out what the data shows. I believe that was the purpose in collecting it, to see if we could spot any trends. It doesn't have anything to do with whether I agree with it or not. :unsure:

Edited by Curious

Tell that to GEORGE.

According to George, he was never actually F/Red.

I think what they did to GEORGE was worse than a FR. He thought so too and told them what to do with their cards.

Tell that to GEORGE.

In my opinion the number of folks who should be F/R'd is zero ,regardless of when they rec'd their cards, unless they do the F/Ring before approving one for the card. Once you're approved, you should be good to go, unless you default in my opinion.

I merely pointed out what the data shows. I believe that was the purpose in collecting it, to see if we could spot any trends. It doesn't have anything to do with whether I agree with it or not. :lol:

I know. You've seen me around enough to know that I have some very strong opinions about this because I was one of those who got the full treatment including the demand for a notarized CPA audit and a certified copy of the deed to our house. Not only did they demand that stuff they treated me like a criminal on the phone. I recorded every one of those calls, one of these days when I'm up to it I'm going to take the large amount of time it will take to edit out the personal information and post those calls. They were almost like a criminal interrogation.

An "ideal" amex profile arises for those who don't want to work out the loose math. Roughly, of those who are F/R'd:

70% have more than 1 card.

54% have more than 10k in credit

48% have been a member less than 1 year

62% are using less than 30% of total credit <--- should only be taken in context of the other factors

60% carry a balance

So, for all the new players in the game, just play the numbers. Keep only 1 card (anecdotally it seems revolving accounts are getting hit less than the charge accounts), pif, keep less than 10k cl, get past the 1 year mark, and don't do anything strange like make cash advances or similar red flag behavior...

An "ideal" amex profile arises for those who don't want to work out the loose math. Roughly, of those who are F/R'd:

70% have more than 1 card.

54% have more than 10k in credit

48% have been a member less than 1 year

62% are using less than 30% of total credit <--- should only be taken in context of the other factors

60% carry a balance

So, for all the new players in the game, just play the numbers. Keep only 1 card (anecdotally it seems revolving accounts are getting hit less than the charge accounts), pif, keep less than 10k cl, get past the 1 year mark, and don't do anything strange like make cash advances or similar red flag behavior...

Where is the anecdotal evidence that shows credit cards are hit less than charge cards?

Where is the anecdotal evidence that shows credit cards are hit less than charge cards?

Just from casually reading posts on this and similar boards dealing with financial matters. Also, as noted in your blog on the Q2 2008 AMEX reports, the mean credit scores for charge cards as opposed to credit cards are lower by approximately 20 points.

That lends a little bit of support to the hunch.

Just from casually reading posts on this and similar boards dealing with financial matters. Also, as noted in your blog on the Q2 2008 AMEX reports, the mean credit scores for charge cards as opposed to credit cards are lower by approximately 20 points.

That lends a little bit of support to the hunch.

I guess I just haven't been reading enough. I've never felt comfortable enough to pick one product over the other when it comes to susceptibility.

But I appreciate the reply, erasmus.

Thanks.

DW has had an Amex Green for over 20 years. It has the "pay later" provision where she can elect to pay some portion of the amount due over time (at 14.99%! :blush2: ). She has carried a balance on it from time to time.

Recently, she received a pre-approved app for Blue, w/an attractive BT offer. She applied and was approved. Subsequently, she BT'd an amount roughly equal to 40% of her CL from a Chase account that was rate-jacked.

Within 2 days of requesting the BT, Amex sent a letter suspending the "pay later" priveleges on her Green card.

Guess they really DO hate BT's. :lol:

$193,000 CLD (3 AMEX CREDIT CARDS) was better than a F/R

:blush2:

"IF" you had EITHER ONE would you think it was GOOD thing???

Edited by GEORGE

I wonder if Amex has changed. Their charge card has proved exceptionally flexible for me ever since I got it two years ago. Way more purchasing power than any other of my cards. I haven't been employed in over 10 years and there is no employment history in my files so who knows what they use. I didn't vote since I've never been FRed or asked to prove income on any other CC either.

It might be interesting to start a new poll with exactly the same questions to see.

Edited by cashnocredit

Got Finacially Reviewd by amex today, 3 accounts opened in 2 months total credit line 6k...I declined the review...I purchase business and owners are reluctant to release taxes for 300k, why would I release it for 6k....dont know if it was the new accounts that triggered it or the fact my Exp was frozen, it would seem that it was the new accounts alone, but I have been told that Amex soft pulls several times after new account opening. With the Exp credit freeze I couldn't even pull my own credit report...oh well...