Sign in to follow this  
pryan67

Why NOT to dispute online

I've been seeing post after post about how people are disputing online...and that's fine if you want to...good luck to you...but think about this:

you did half the work for the CRAs...

you input the dispute into their system

you coded it properly for them in the two digit code necessary to send the dispute to the furnisher.

you transmitted it electronically to the "furnisher"

the response is done electronically, so the CRA has to do NOTHING...it's ALL automated...the only human involvement is YOU.

How much are they paying you to work for them like that?

What's the benefit to you? You save a couple bucks in postage? Is your credit worth THAT little to you? If fixing your reports isn't worth 5 bucks, then at what point is it worth the money? 4 bucks? 3? 2? what's a clean report worth to you?

You think you're saving time? How so? You're saving the CRAs and CAs time, certainly...they don't have to do ANYTHING as far as your dispute goes since you've done all the work for them.

How often have people disputed something online only to have it "verified" the very next day...why do you think that is?

How many people have sent CMRRR letters (As suggested here) and gotten a letter back the very next day saying the item was verified?

SERIOUSLY folks...there's absolutely NO valid reason I've heard for disputing online. Convenience? Big whoop...it goes back to what's your credit worth to you? Isn't it worth the couple mile trip to the post office? (that you probably go past a dozen times a week anyway)

If you're here, you likely have a computer. How tough is it to type up a simple dispute letter, put it in an envelope, and mail it off? Heck, go to the post office and get a stack of the CMRRR forms...have them all pre-filled out so when you get to the PO you just hand it over and pay the couple dollars...

it's just frustrating to see so many people making the mistake of disputing online, then wondering how the CRAs verified in a day or two.

pryan, although you make a lot of very good points, valid points for snail mail disputes, disputing my baddies online for the most part has been very successful. I recently mailed (certified) out a dispute to EX and two weeks later I got the "previously investigated" letter.

Not to say EVERY dispute online came back deleted, but the majority has. Yes, it is convenient and easy. What can I say, I'm a little lazy. :yahoo:

As with any experience, YMMV. :angry:

Oh, I'm not arguing that people haven't had deletions using the online form...many people have....

but many people have also won the lottery...does that mean that people should be encouraged to play it if they can't afford it?

you got the previously investigated response in writing, which is good, since that letter is a violation of FCRA...you wouldn't have gotten that online...

Oh, I'm not arguing that people haven't had deletions using the online form...many people have....

but many people have also won the lottery...does that mean that people should be encouraged to play it if they can't afford it?

you got the previously investigated response in writing, which is good, since that letter is a violation of FCRA...you wouldn't have gotten that online...

Exactly, EX won't even let you start a dispute with something they've "verified" in the past.

Writing is the way to go if you're serious. Deletions can occure if you dispute online, but not often. I got a deletion this morning, but I think it was a case of the item being so old they didn't bother with it.

I think this is a valid topic. I know I didn't realize until a few weeks ago the consequences of doing it online. I have had major success, got a FC off, removed 2 judgements off of 3 CRs, along with many other baddies. BUT....I will no longer do it that way.

Yes, I have paper records, all of the stuff I disputed I printed off the reasons why etc and all that BUT there is some doubt whether that holds up in court. That is worth the extra $5 for each dispute etc because in the end, $1000 is more than what I would pay for all of my disputes to be MAILED CMRRR. Just my .02 cents

Great post Pryan

I had two Deletions in two days by disputing online so...YMMV. No, its not the answer but hell, it made one of my Fico scores jump 17 points so I'm not against it either. I can't tell anyone what to do especially if it works in some cases. Is it always the answer? No but it got results for me.

Can you tell me where in the FCRA this is a violation, I want to use it. Thanks :blush2:

I don't even know what to do with the (previously investigated) letter EX sent me. I was thinking of just putting one of those consumer statements on my report saying EX refused to reinvestigate. :cry2:

I'm sorry, can someone please explain to me in plain English why doing it online is a problem? I'm not talking about saving the CRA work, I couldn't give a flip about that. I want to know why it's actively bad for me.

I'm sorry, can someone please explain to me in plain English why doing it online is a problem? I'm not talking about saving the CRA work, I couldn't give a flip about that. I want to know why it's actively bad for me.

There are two reasons in my opinion:

1) It allows the CRA to automate the entire process. A lot of times items will be "verified" in a couple of days. By mailing your dispute you force them to actually do some work. In some cases, especially with older items, they just assume delete instead of going to the trouble to actually verify items.

2) Your choices in your online dispute are limited to "not mine" "inaccurate" or the payment status. In a written dispute you can dispute in your own words, not a multiple choice one size fits all.

Edited by Shawnee

Can you tell me where in the FCRA this is a violation, I want to use it. Thanks :grin:

Well, did they REASONABLY determine that it was frivolous or irellevant? Did they notify you of such within 5 days of their determination of that?

Really? So you're willing to help and encourage the CRA to verify the negative information? I'd think that a consumer would want to make it as difficult as possible for them...

Really? So you're willing to help and encourage the CRA to verify the negative information? I'd think that a consumer would want to make it as difficult as possible for them...

That's why I wanted to know WHY, in plain english. If it's just a matter of saving some processor a couple of hours of work and you think that's stupid just on principle, I have other things to worry about. However, if as a result of that it's less likely to get them to delete, then that IS different. Please remember that some of us on this forum are not as savvy about this stuff as others.

Today, I got a 35 point jump on Trans U from disputing online and getting 1 CO & 1 CA deleted. I can see why it's not the way to go all the time though. One online dispute was from Macy's from the 1999 so that one was due to drop off in December of this year anyway but I'm glad I disputed online because now both of them are GONE from ALL of the CRA's. Most of my CA's are due to drop off because of 7 years but I can see at least one or two that I will probably have to validate.

Shawnee, you're explanation was helpful, thank you.

Edited by CandyLadyNJ

Exactly, EX won't even let you start a dispute with something they've "verified" in the past.

Writing is the way to go if you're serious. Deletions can occure if you dispute online, but not often. I got a deletion this morning, but I think it was a case of the item being so old they didn't bother with it.

Shawnee I sure HOPE that was your Kalifornia tax lien!!!??

disputing online has always worked best for me and DH with TU, then EQ. Not so much for EX. I cleaned up most of my TU report with online disputes. I've done snail mail as well. I have some old stuff on EX that won't budge. Letter writing definitely works best with them IMO.

Shawnee I sure HOPE that was your Kalifornia tax lien!!!??

Yes, off TU. Where I really need it to go is off EQ, and not for credit reasons.

PRYAN, thanks for the info. Your post was very well-written.

For those of you who are posting on here about your successes while disputing online, please re-read Pryan's posting.

YES, you can be successful when disputing online.

NO, disputing online is not the smartest thing to do.

NO, you will not ALWAYS be successful when disputing online.

YES, if you dispute online and are not successful, then you should have listened to Pryan.

I think the point that Pryan is trying to make is that when you dispute online, you make it EXTREMELY easy for the CRAs to verify information QUICKLY and without moving a finger. If you dispute CMRR, real humans have to actually process your dispute. This takes more time and is to YOUR advantage. Also, you will have a PAPER trail, as well as WRITTEN communication from the CRA. This is LEVERAGE, folks. When done online, CRAs can always use excuses for any violations (system shut down, didn't receive dispute, bla bla bla).

I have to agree with Pryan...if you're not willing to go the extra mile to make sure your disputes are documented (because let's face it...an e-mail just doesn't hold as much water as a signed letter), then your credit may not mean as much to you as you think.

Edited by CreditDespair

PRYAN, thanks for the info. Your post was very well-written.

For those of you who are posting on here about your successes while disputing online, please re-read Pryan's posting.

YES, you can be successful when disputing online.

NO, disputing online is not the smartest thing to do.

NO, you will not ALWAYS be successful when disputing online.

YES, if you dispute online and are not successful, then you should have listened to Pryan.

I think the point that Pryan is trying to make is that when you dispute online, you make it EXTREMELY easy for the CRAs to verify information QUICKLY and without moving a finger. If you dispute CMRR, real humans have to actually process your dispute. This takes more time and is to YOUR advantage. Also, you will have a PAPER trail, as well as WRITTEN communication from the CRA. This is LEVERAGE, folks. When done online, CRAs can always use excuses for any violations (system shut down, didn't receive dispute, bla bla bla).

I have to agree with Pryan...if you're not willing to go the extra mile to make sure your disputes are documented (because let's face it...an e-mail just doesn't hold as much water as a signed letter), then your credit may not mean as much to you as you think.

I found Shawnees explanation much more helpful then Pryan's post to be honest. He seemed to be argumentative as well.

Unfortunately, I've learned just recently that Pryan is right. I had always disputed by mail, but less than 2 weeks ago I disputed on line. Got results back in about 5 days - now I'm getting a call from a lawyer for the same debt I disputed. Damn!!!

:)

Wait a minute. I'm not in competition with Pryan. We both said the same thing, just worded differently.

I recently dsputed 4 SL baddies on TU and they were deleted in two weeks. Granted, they were due to fall off August of this year. Maybe not the "smartest" thing to do, but in this case it worked for me. I tried with EX online, but of course I got the "previously investigated" line. I would snail mail them, but I have a feeling I'd get another PI letter so I'll wait it out. Haven't tried with EQ because they take the full 30 days even disputing online...in my personal experience. In April, I will be purchasing another house so I can't have an investigation in progress at this time.

No one is disputing the fact that having a paper trail is a good thing. I think online disputing is especially good for the "low hanging fruit." For me, online disputing has worked well. Stubborn baddies warrant more blood, sweat, and tears. Then, send it in writing. However, as I said earlier, my one and only written dispute earned me a PI letter from EX aka the devil. Now I have to figure out what to do next. Thank goodness for CB and it's members! :dntknw:

As always...YMMV.

:dntknw:

Wait a minute. I'm not in competition with Pryan. We both said the same thing, just worded differently.

no one said you were, I personally, found your explanation which was worded differently alot more to the point. :blink: