Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

how do you report a merchant violation at 1-800-visa-911?

The last post in this topic was posted 3645 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I had a cashier at walmart ask me for ID, and I declined, she then called the cashier supervisor for it and I declined, and then she called the shift manager who also asked me for my ID and I declined. The shift manager then said he doesn't have time for this, process it, and walked off (this is the short version of what happened). I want to report it to visa so I called 1-800-visa-911 but there is no option to report a merchant violation there. I tried pressing 0 to speak to a human (which usually works) and it said this was an invalid option. so how can I report the violation?

I had a cashier at walmart ask me for ID, and I declined, she then called the cashier supervisor for it and I declined, and then she called the shift manager who also asked me for my ID and I declined. The shift manager then said he doesn't have time for this, process it, and walked off (this is the short version of what happened). I want to report it to visa so I called 1-800-visa-911 but there is no option to report a merchant violation there. I tried pressing 0 to speak to a human (which usually works) and it said this was an invalid option. so how can I report the violation?

Once you do get through, be prepared for the very real possibility that the first person you talk to will not only have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, they may even try to tell you that it's ok for the merchant to do that. Be persistent.

You need to immediately tell them that you want to file an incident report against a merchant. After that, they will ask you what happened and if you have all of the merchant information (merchant phone number, merchant name, merchant address with zip code; if you don't have all of this they may not take the report). Immediately telling them that you wish to file an incident report (before actually telling them what happened) will speed the call up. I've had pretty good luck with these calls since I started to immediately mention that my objective of the call was to file an incident report. When I used to call and just immediately describe that my card was refused unless I would show ID, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion as to what to do and how to take the complaint. They may also try to get you to talk to your card-issuing bank about this. I've called three card issuing banks and none of them know how to take these reports and all have referred me to Visa.

You need to immediately tell them that you want to file an incident report against a merchant. After that, they will ask you what happened and if you have all of the merchant information (merchant phone number, merchant name, merchant address with zip code; if you don't have all of this they may not take the report). Immediately telling them that you wish to file an incident report (before actually telling them what happened) will speed the call up. I've had pretty good luck with these calls since I started to immediately mention that my objective of the call was to file an incident report. When I used to call and just immediately describe that my card was refused unless I would show ID, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion as to what to do and how to take the complaint.

I'll try that myself next time.

They may also try to get you to talk to your card-issuing bank about this. I've called three card issuing banks and none of them know how to take these reports and all have referred me to Visa.

I haven't run into that myself, but it makes no sense to me. It's not the issuing bank's policy, it's VISA's policy. Therefore, VISA should handle it.

They may also try to get you to talk to your card-issuing bank about this. I've called three card issuing banks and none of them know how to take these reports and all have referred me to Visa.

I haven't run into that myself, but it makes no sense to me. It's not the issuing bank's policy, it's VISA's policy. Therefore, VISA should handle it.

As it was explained to me by a local bank, Think of "Visa International" as the Federal Goverment . and Your Issuing Visa Bank card establishment as the State Government, The state needs to adhere closely to the federal mandated laws, but can ALSO modify some of its state laws. So Yes, whilst VISA has policies, the issuing bank can also have a policy that maynot be in complete alignment with the overall policy of Visa International. Most Major card issuers create catered agreements with VISA International so as to safeguard the merchants and safeguard the cardholder. Keep in mind that this was just an analogy and its NOT a law but a policy and contract that is being discussed in the above referenced statement.

If one wants to take the time to read the actual VISA International Merchant policy, it will take a day to read through. That is if you can get your hands on one. Our business has one and it was an eye opener when I sat and read the first chapter! and there were 19 chapters to this book with subsections.

On the topic note- I deal by certified letter to my bank card issuer, formally giving the violating concern with merchants name,phone,address,city,zip etc. I often CC my attorney. He gets a kick out of my letters. ;) I stay off the phone since as someone mentioned they rarely logg the issue, but a letter is a file keeper!

As it was explained to me by a local bank, Think of "Visa International" as the Federal Goverment . and Your Issuing Visa Bank card establishment as the State Government, The state needs to adhere closely to the federal mandated laws, but can ALSO modify some of its state laws. So Yes, whilst VISA has policies, the issuing bank can also have a policy that maynot be in complete alignment with the overall policy of Visa International. Most Major card issuers create catered agreements with VISA International so as to safeguard the merchants and safeguard the cardholder. Keep in mind that this was just an analogy and its NOT a law but a policy and contract that is being discussed in the above referenced statement.

If one wants to take the time to read the actual VISA International Merchant policy, it will take a day to read through. That is if you can get your hands on one. Our business has one and it was an eye opener when I sat and read the first chapter! and there were 19 chapters to this book with subsections.

I understand your analogy, but usually a state can only add to a federal law, they cannot take away from it. I would suspect that the same is generally true here.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911, press 1, then press 6, then press O twice, and ask to file an incident report.

Mastercard: Call 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases ever!

No ID required for signed credit card purchases ever!

You need to immediately tell them that you want to file an incident report against a merchant. After that, they will ask you what happened and if you have all of the merchant information (merchant phone number, merchant name, merchant address with zip code; if you don't have all of this they may not take the report). Immediately telling them that you wish to file an incident report (before actually telling them what happened) will speed the call up. I've had pretty good luck with these calls since I started to immediately mention that my objective of the call was to file an incident report. When I used to call and just immediately describe that my card was refused unless I would show ID, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion as to what to do and how to take the complaint. They may also try to get you to talk to your card-issuing bank about this. I've called three card issuing banks and none of them know how to take these reports and all have referred me to Visa.

This happened to me today! :rolleyes:

Did we REALLY need to bump a three and a half year old thread?

It's OK, we're establishing a pattern of customer abuse at Wal Mart. :)

Sheesh, I hate that place.

Now I'm wondering though....assuming Visa or MC decided to "punish" wal mart by revoking their ability to process cards....who would be hurt more by that loss, Visa/MC, or Wal Mart?

They could simply fine Walmart for every violation.

WalMart would simply stop accepting those cards for a while. They are one of the few merchants large enough to negotiate interchange fees under threat of just not accepting the card, lol.

Visa/MC are probably in a weaker negotiating position than Wally World as they have more to lose if the cards are blocked.

They could simply fine Walmart for every violation.

WalMart would simply stop accepting those cards for a while. They are one of the few merchants large enough to negotiate interchange fees under threat of just not accepting the card, lol.

Visa/MC are probably in a weaker negotiating position than Wally World as they have more to lose if the cards are blocked.

LOL...DumpMart would ignore it just like they ignore other regulations...

And yeah, they are big enough that they could tell V/MC to go sit in the corner and pout for a while...

More importantly, I guess we could say that DumpMart looks at the issue the same way as many of us do...got better things to worry about...NEXT!

Even as huge as Walmart is, they are but a tiny percentage of MC/Visa's business.

Conversely, there are only a handful of ways to pay for stuff at Walmart. Take away MC/Visa and people will walk.

MC and Visa were thriving long before Walmart existed.

If Walmart stopped taking Visa/MasterCard/AmEx, what would happen is people would go to Target (or another retailer). Some might pay cash / check, instead, so they won't lose all business.

Wal Mart's company policy is that they are not to ask for ID. The only time they are to even handle the card is when the compare signatures between card and slip prompt comes up. It has less to do with the Visa/MC rules and more to do with efficiency. However I have encountered ID problems at some Wal Marts when traveling, but the company always resolves the issues once I complain, to the right people. As one of their regional managers explained to me, with the thousands of customers that go through every day why would they do something that inconveniences 999 people to catch 1 person using a stolen card.

Even as huge as Walmart is, they are but a tiny percentage of MC/Visa's business.

Conversely, there are only a handful of ways to pay for stuff at Walmart. Take away MC/Visa and people will walk.

You've forgotten about Sam's club completely refusing VISA cards because of refusal to negotiate their processing fees, eh?

DumpMart may be a "tiny percentage" of Visa/MC's business, but they are a significant enough percentage to be able to negotiate their processing changes...the only merchant to successfully do so.

You've forgotten about Sam's club completely refusing VISA cards because of refusal to negotiate their processing fees, eh?

DumpMart may be a "tiny percentage" of Visa/MC's business, but they are a significant enough percentage to be able to negotiate their processing changes...the only merchant to successfully do so.

They haven't been able to negotiate their own deal over rules against photo ID. Walmart is actually lobbying for chip and pin.

Edited by Grizzly Bear

They haven't been able to negotiate their own deal over rules against photo ID. Walmart is actually lobbying for chip and pin.

Do you even know whether they were attempting to negotiate anything on ID or are you just interjecting more chaff into the discussion that should have been separated from the wheat?

Bottom line here is that I don't see V/MC doing anything to DumpMart other than perhaps sending a nasty letter...even if they did assess some nominal fine, DumpMart would view it as a cost of business that was off-set by the prospective savings from the rare instance of fraut that was prevented (not unlike the Home Depot incident in Louisiana that I have previously posted about).

And as a a result, many go to BJs (on the East coast) instead of Sams as they take Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover/debit/cash/check.

Costco is like Sams in that they take only AmEx for credit/debit cards (Sams is Discover only.)

Plus, they all treat customers as criminals as they place a bouncer at the door to stop people and demand receipts.

You don't have to show your receipt. Just say "sorry, I don't have time" and continue walking (polite way to do it), or just walk out ignoring the receipt checker.

Plus, they all treat customers as criminals as they place a bouncer at the door to stop people and demand receipts.

You don't have to show your receipt. Just say "sorry, I don't have time" and continue walking (polite way to do it), or just walk out ignoring the receipt checker.

Actually, at the warehouse clubs, you don't get that option if you want to be a member any longer. Their club, their rules...

Actually, at the warehouse clubs, you don't get that option if you want to be a member any longer. Their club, their rules...

My stuff, my life.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CEOMoney
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines