Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Leo

Sleep Apnea

Anyone here have sleep apnea, or are close to someone who does?

Was just officially diagnosed and am in the search for equipment and am getting extremely frustrated by the whole proceedure. There's so many variables and so many options that it's overwhelming and it doesn't help that my medical insurance provider seems to go to great lengths to make things as confusing and vague as possible regarding payment, etc. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed :rolleyes: However, once you start treatment you will probably feel tons better.

My mom has sleep apnea and wears a C-pap (I think thats right) at night when she sleeps. Basically it is a machine, partially filled with distilled water, that connects to a mask which she wears at night. The mask covers a large portion of your face, both mouth and nose. It took her a very long time to get used to it, but has had success. She says that she feels a lot more rested throughout the day. This has also cut down on her heart problems.

I really dont have much info about equiptment. Basically her doctor called her pharmacy and ordered the machine and she picked it up.

Was just officially diagnosed and am in the search for equipment and am getting extremely frustrated by the whole proceedure. There's so many variables and so many options that it's overwhelming and it doesn't help that my medical insurance provider seems to go to great lengths to make things as confusing and vague as possible regarding payment, etc. :glare:

I was tested last year for sleep apnea....didn't have it. (I have another sleep disorder where I don't hear alarms or anything in the morning -- DSPS Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome). I possibly may need some equipment as well (light box), but Dr hasn't wanted to try it just yet. I do remember reading in my health insurance information about specific equipment and remember lightbox being mentioned that it's not covered, not sure what all equipment is covered under my insurance.

DH's sinus Dr is wanting him to go to a sleep study to be tested for sleep apnea. I think he probably does have it. He has scared me a few times where I noticed it looked like he wasn't breathing. He snores horribly too.

My sister told me the other day that her DH recently got diagnosed with it (referred from his sinus Dr as well). She said the C-Pap machine or whatever it is has made such a difference. She didn't mention anything about insurance problems or anything in getting the equipment. I'll ask her. They are wanting him to have the surgery done...not sure if he'll go through with it, though.

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly as possible for ya.

My dad has it bad. But he refuses to go take that sleep test because he doesn't want to be made to wear a mask to sleep. :dntknw::glare:

It was so bad, it kinda freaked my dad's doctor out when my dad had to get the angioplasty done.

While I'm not "happy" that I have it, I am excited that it's something that is treatable, and I'm anxious to get started. When I did the sleep study I did three hours on a cpap and the next day was the first day in months/years that I didn't feel the need to take a nap. Only 3 hrs!!! It was so great. I am so tired of being so tired all day long every day.

At the moment I'm more frustrated over the degree of difficulty is trying to determine the best way to get started. I can get the necessary equipment online for a decent amount, or I can go to a local store and get better service but then they're 2-3 times more expensive... then my insurance covers different amounts according to who I get the equipment through. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

My dad has it bad. But he refuses to go take that sleep test because he doesn't want to be made to wear a mask to sleep. :dntknw::glare:

It was so bad, it kinda freaked my dad's doctor out when my dad had to get the angioplasty done.

I will admit that I was reluctant for a long time because of the mask, also. Mainly because of the way it looks, as stupid as I know that is. But, ya know, I'm getting older, and I'm tired of feeling like crap, and people can actually die from this... so I don't care anymore.

My dad has it bad. But he refuses to go take that sleep test because he doesn't want to be made to wear a mask to sleep. :blink::glare:

I will admit that I was reluctant for a long time because of the mask, also. Mainly because of the way it looks, as stupid as I know that is. But, ya know, I'm getting older, and I'm tired of feeling like crap, and people can actually die from this... so I don't care anymore.

Well, my dad is a very stubborn and proud man. He doesn't like to admit he has problems or may need help.

As it is, he can't get much more than 2-3 hours sleep at a given time...and is always tired. I'm sure the dialysis doesn't make that any easier. But I'm sure if he went for the test and used the c-pap if necessary, it would help greatly. :D

But as it is, he didn't acknowledge his diabetes until it was pretty much too late as well. He didn't start following his diet and religiously taking his medicines until our doctor looked at him at one appointment and said, "If you don't get this under control, you're not going to live to see your son graudate high school." (he was referring to my younger brother who was in probably 7th grade at the time). As it was, he was already leaking protein and stuff into his urine, but it did take until 2003(?) for him to be diagnosed with renal failure.

He really needs to take better care of himself, but I think it's extremely hard for him to admit he's not perfect and to ask for help. :glare: Sometimes, I wish he'd hurry up and grow up about it, but I too get that from him a bit so I guess I don't have much room to talk. :blush2::sorry:

My stepfather uses one of these machines, it really made a big difference for him, he doesn't get tired so early, and claims to have better stamina too.

Good luck shopping, I don't recall how much my step dad paid for his, but I do remember his whining :D

My dad had a CPAP because of apnea. He had BCBS and was totally confused by the insurance as well. Bu tsince he was also diabetic, he had a nurse case manager, basically someone at the insurance who could help him get appointments set up, make sure his meds were refilled on time, etc. So he called her and explained his dr wanted to prescribe a specific typ eof breathing machine. She got him on a conference call w/ his dr and they got it worked out so it cost him the least out of pocket. She even arranged for it to be sent overnight mail because for the machine his dr wanted, it was far cheaper online. On his sleep test, my dad had stopped breathing for as long as 3 minutes and over 50X in a 4 hr study. On the longest times, the staff actually went into the testing room and nudged him to get him breathing again, that was standard once a patient hit 3+ minutes.

Maybe you can try calling your insurance and talk to a rep and see if they can help you figure out which specific machine you need to get.

Was just officially diagnosed and am in the search for equipment and am getting extremely frustrated by the whole proceedure. There's so many variables and so many options that it's overwhelming and it doesn't help that my medical insurance provider seems to go to great lengths to make things as confusing and vague as possible regarding payment, etc. :P

My dad just got his new CPAP machine last night. He had his test last week. He wakes up 55 times an HOUR. And he stops breathing for 20 seconds frequently. And his oxygen drops to 80 during the night.

:P

I have sleep apnea, diagnosed last year. You might want to check out CPAPTALK on line, lots of people to answer questions for you.

Linda

My DH was diagnosed with it in August. The CPAP has saved our marriage :lol: I was sleeping in our spare room every night because I'm such a light sleeper, I got NO sleep when sleeping in the same room. I would close the doors to both rooms, and could still hear him snoring :(

He went to the supplier recommended by his sleep center, and they walked him thru all of the equipment and helped him to pick the machine that was best for him. We are blessed with great insurance, and we pay just $8/month while insurance pays $173/month.

The machine has helped him SO much. He is really a new person. He's not nearly as short tempered and irritable, he has more energy (even started karate with me :good:), and just feels better all around. He has not gone a single night without the machine since getting it. He woke up the first morning after having the machine, and said that he'd never slept so well in his life.

My dad had a CPAP because of apnea. He had BCBS and was totally confused by the insurance as well. Bu tsince he was also diabetic, he had a nurse case manager, basically someone at the insurance who could help him get appointments set up, make sure his meds were refilled on time, etc. So he called her and explained his dr wanted to prescribe a specific typ eof breathing machine. She got him on a conference call w/ his dr and they got it worked out so it cost him the least out of pocket. She even arranged for it to be sent overnight mail because for the machine his dr wanted, it was far cheaper online. On his sleep test, my dad had stopped breathing for as long as 3 minutes and over 50X in a 4 hr study. On the longest times, the staff actually went into the testing room and nudged him to get him breathing again, that was standard once a patient hit 3+ minutes.

Maybe you can try calling your insurance and talk to a rep and see if they can help you figure out which specific machine you need to get.

I have BCBS, also. The way they do things seems more complicated than it needs to be.

My dad just got his new CPAP machine last night. He had his test last week. He wakes up 55 times an HOUR. And he stops breathing for 20 seconds frequently. And his oxygen drops to 80 during the night.

;)

:rofl: , indeed.

I have sleep apnea, diagnosed last year. You might want to check out CPAPTALK on line, lots of people to answer questions for you.

I found cpaptalk, and have it saved, but haven't checked it out, yet.

My DH was diagnosed with it in August. The CPAP has saved our marriage :rofl: I was sleeping in our spare room every night because I'm such a light sleeper, I got NO sleep when sleeping in the same room. I would close the doors to both rooms, and could still hear him snoring :rofl:

He went to the supplier recommended by his sleep center, and they walked him thru all of the equipment and helped him to pick the machine that was best for him. We are blessed with great insurance, and we pay just $8/month while insurance pays $173/month.

The machine has helped him SO much. He is really a new person. He's not nearly as short tempered and irritable, he has more energy (even started karate with me :rofl:), and just feels better all around. He has not gone a single night without the machine since getting it. He woke up the first morning after having the machine, and said that he'd never slept so well in his life.

That is so encouraging, and what I hope for. Thanks. :rofl:

I'll be paying $148/mo, or buying outright, though. I hope I can be up and running tomorrow night.

For those you you who don't like the idea of a mask, there is the option of "nasal pillows" (at least that's what I believe they are called) Anyway, they are more like the little oxygen thingies like they use when you're in the hospital. They are way more comfortable than using the full mask!

I have BCBS, also. The way they do things seems more complicated than it needs to be.

I'll be paying $148/mo, or buying outright, though. I hope I can be up and running tomorrow night.

We have BCBS too, and they've given us no problems. That $148 isn't out of your pocket is it?

We have BCBS too, and they've given us no problems. That $148 isn't out of your pocket is it?

Yes, the $148/mo is my part. I'm not sure what amount the insurance company will be paying. My coverage is "just ok", not great. I have a $1000/yr deductable and this is the beginning of the year, but everytime I ask how this stuff breaks down and what goes where it's like they're talking a foreign language.

I've been on CPAP for a few years. I just bought a new machine this summer online. I got the model I wanted with a heated humidifier. Its all in one unit, easy to travel with, I got it for about 450.00. I just used BCBS to get the sleep study redone then bypassed it to buy the machine. I have a 750 ded. and I could not choose the machine I wanted, all they offered were the big bulky machines. I got free head gear and a few different kinds of masks because the girl at the clinic felt sorry for me and gave me a few samples they had, so I lucked out there.

DH had SA for over 40 yrs. We went through a sleep test together and they estimated that I was waking up over 300 x a night and would hold my breath every time he stopped breathing whether I was awake or not.

I was suffering from exaustion and oxygen deprivation.

It isn't enough that you stop breathing, but then do the loud snort at the start of breathing again :dntknw:

He's been SA free since 2003, but our diet has been very bad and he's starting to snort and snore again.

When my dad started using a CPAP machine it made a big difference. He no longer napped most of the day away. Before the CPAP we would have a family get together with a house full of rowdy kids and he would be sleeping. The kids enjoyed hiding Easter Eggs in his pocket, under his collar, etc without him knowing it. :wub:

I do remember once he said he woke up with a sneezing fit. He thought his eyes were going to blow out of his head because the mask kept his mouth shut and the oxygen going into his nose didn't allow anything to come out. :blush2:

I swear that my DH has this. He refuses to go the dr though and actually ask about it. He snores constantly and does the snort thing - and I swear he's stopped breathing. He does a little better sometimes with Breathe Right strips - but still snores sometimes with those and still has the breathing issues. He's always tired - which has gotten worse since he works nights 3 days per week.

Everything I read sounds like he has it except his weight. He's super skinny. I know that there is definitely something wrong though. I think it is either sleep apnea or a deviated septum.

My DH thought he had it and had the sleep study. The study said he didn't have it but that there was something wrong with his nose.

He had to have surgery and is fine now.

Edited by BrwnEyedGirl

I swear that my DH has this. He refuses to go the dr though and actually ask about it. He snores constantly and does the snort thing - and I swear he's stopped breathing. He does a little better sometimes with Breathe Right strips - but still snores sometimes with those and still has the breathing issues. He's always tired - which has gotten worse since he works nights 3 days per week.

Everything I read sounds like he has it except his weight. He's super skinny. I know that there is definitely something wrong though. I think it is either sleep apnea or a deviated septum.

There are many skinny people who still have a dense "fat pad". It's the reason why America's top geriatric care centers use change of diet as the first fight against some of the symptoms attributed to "old age".

SA is one of them as well as extra flatulence, indigestion, acid reflux, exzema, insomnia, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis.......the list goes on.

My DH had a deviated septum and had surgery on it. Now he sleeps great. Of course, the surgery wasn't cheap.

Yeah - I know it probably wouldn't be cheap. I had a friend who had surgery for that - and had a nose job to remove a bump she had - DH would love that (he has a fairly large nose). Our insurance sucks now where we have to pay the first 2500 for everything - so I'm not jumping in to that surgery anytime soon. If I ever get a raise or a new job though - it would help a lot with his sleep deprivation I think.

My DH had a deviated septum and had surgery on it. Now he sleeps great. Of course, the surgery wasn't cheap.

I had a deviated septum too. When they did my brain surgery (went through my nose and upper lip) they fixed it. I got a twofer!