Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Cooking club dilema

The last post in this topic was posted 5036 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi everyone:

I have not posted in this forum before, but today I have a problem which I hope to get some advice on:

back in July we moved into a new home which has a killer kitchen. Since this kitchen is great I decided to form a cooking club as I am lacking the good cook gene and want to learn to cook while having fun with friends.

DH and I recruited five other couple friends, several of them we have been friends for over six years.

On our first meeting we set the schedule to meet and the meal everyone was responsible for. Tonight will be our third meeting and this just could not be going worse.

Here are a couple of the issues which are bothering me:

1. on our last meeting the couple in charge of dessert just walked into a BJ's and BOUGHT :lol: a creme puff cotainer and placed it on the table as her assigned dish was dessert. This of course bothered me as the point of the "cooking": club is to cook things yourself. The couple in charge of mixing drinks brought beer??!!!

2. One of the rules for the club was to bring a print out of the recipes to the meeting only about four of the couples did so.

3. before a meeting the couple who hosts the meeting should send out an e-mial indicating what type of food they will be preparing so that the rest of the dishes everyone brings in goes with their dish. Well; for our meeting tomorrow the host did not bother to do so. To top it off, I found out from my DH, who heard it from another friend, that the couple hosting the meeting today are having another thirty people invited tonight!!!! They decided to combine the husbands new years office party with the cooking club meeting without telling anyone. This couple actually asked to swap their turn with another couple and they did this because they did not want to have two occassions in their house so they figured they would kill two birds with one stone.

This couple has totally hijacked the club. They have not done any of the things they were supposed to do at all.

Now I and some of the other couples are irated about the turn of events and one couple even quit the club. I will not address these issues today(in front of another 30 people) but I will definately send out an e-mail and address them later in the week.

I need advise as to how to word me e-mail as these are dear friends of ours and I do not want to lose them. I just want then to either comply with the club's rules or quit the club.

It just seems some of us need a lot more structure to this club that others.

Do any of you out there have a successful cooking club? if so what are your rules and can you share them with me as maybe they can help me out.

Help??!!!

Nikki

First I'd like to say that I LOVE the idea. Never heard of it before.

Second, I don't think it'd work with people that I know. They are the kind of weenies that'd bring store bought stuff too.

The couple that combined the parties are totally out of line. Personally, I'd consider not going.

I can't help with the wording of the email because I'd be very harsh and I don't think that is the route you want to go. Sowwy :(

Hi Nikki,

I'm in a supper club here in Houston.

The issues you wrote about would frustrate the hell outta me!

I think you need to tell them exactly what you outlined in your post.

The purpose of the club is to get together and cook dishes that everyone can share and that you can swap recipes with each other.

The lady who combined parties, well, I'd just flat out NOT go. So now you are expected to prepare a dish for 30 instead of 12??

That is just plain BS. Sounds like she is wanting to have a party and not pay for it.

Tell these people to either get with the program, get a life or get lost.

The couple that combined the parties are totally out of line. Personally, I'd consider not going.

I can't help with the wording of the email because I'd be very harsh and I don't think that is the route you want to go. Sowwy :blink:

GMTA!! :(

Nikki,

I love our cooking club and would not trade it for anything.

Have you considered "breaking off" from your cooking club and taking the few members who have their crap together and just doing your own thing? Let the others do whatever the heck it is they are doing. :(

Also, you say you want to learn how to cook. Have you looked into cooking classes in your area? I'm not necessarily talking about cooking school (which is time consuming and expensive). But one-night type classes that prepare a 4 or 5 course meal along with wine and you get to watch and ask questions as they prepare the meals? They give you the recipes too. And some of the classes are hands on. I've been taking these types of classes for the past 4 years at a local gourmet grocery store. They've even brought in some big name chefs to teach classes here (We've had Alton Brown, Emeril, Jamie Oliver, Anthony Bourdain, Michael Chiarello, Giuliani Bujali, Rachael Ray, Sarah Moulton, to name a few, come and teach) as well as a host of local chefs and caterers. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and I really have learned a lot!

Hiburi I have definately thought of that, I have looked into A Southern Season for these classes which also include wine tasting ect. and they invite cooks from the cooking channel as well. Last month they had the barefoot contessa. I think that will be my next step.

Unfortunately this will make it difficult for me as it is only my husband and I here in the state and we have an 11 year old who needs supervision. These classes take place during the day and I am working. We will consider going to the night classes but DH and I will have to alternate. I wanted to experience these things together. You know quality time etc. Plus my child would have learned too. (We are the only ones who have a kid a in our group).

I do like the lets "dissolve this club" idea and institute a new club with the couples who have been more responsible, specially because the husband in one of the couples is a chef and I think we could learn a lot from him. Not to mention saving some money in the process by not having to pay for classes. However these are people who work together and they will find out about the new club. Since they are dear friends of ours I do not want to jeopardize our friendship. Frankly, I am very surprised they did this, they were never like this before.

Thanks for every one's input.

When I heard about the extra people I just got so infuriated and then I began to wonder if I was exagerating. Your posts illustrate to me I was not.

Nikki

Hiburi I have definately thought of that, I have looked into A Southern Season for these classes which also include wine tasting ect. and they invite cooks from the cooking channel as well. Last month they had the barefoot contessa. I think that will be my next step.

Unfortunately this will make it difficult for me as it is only my husband and I here in the state and we have an 11 year old who needs supervision. These classes take place during the day and I am working. We will consider going to the night classes but DH and I will have to alternate. I wanted to experience these things together. You know quality time etc. Plus my child would have learned too. (We are the only ones who have a kid a in our group).

I do like the lets "dissolve this club" idea and institute a new club with the couples who have been more responsible, specially because the husband in one of the couples is a chef and I think we could learn a lot from him. Not to mention saving some money in the process by not having to pay for classes. However these are people who work together and they will find out about the new club. Since they are dear friends of ours I do not want to jeopardize our friendship. Frankly, I am very surprised they did this, they were never like this before.

Thanks for every one's input.

When I heard about the extra people I just got so infuriated and then I began to wonder if I was exagerating. Your posts illustrate to me I was not.

Nikki

Nikki,

I completely understand about the wanting to do this with your husband. If you can't find a sitter, then I would not give up on the cooking club idea. However, you need to make everyone realize what the purpose of the club IS. Then, let them decide if they want to be a member or not. But I would lay it out for them in no uncertain terms that they are expected to cook their dish and that you are not "caterers". :blush2:

Good luck!

It sounds like some of the members are saying to heck with cooking -- Let's just have a beer bust! I guess they were thinking that maybe no one would notice or say anything....

thanks for the replies.

As of this moment I decided that I will be using the words beer bust and caterers on my e-mail. I am sure it will put my point accross. I will be using as they describe exactly how some of us are feeling.

thanks guys.

Nikki

Just a question, but on the "drinks" thing I understand beer isn't necessarily that great...But would you have also been as upset if the people had gone to the trouble of finding a really good wine to pair with the main course that would compliment it? Or did it have to be "mixed" drinks so there was an actual recipe? And did everyone know that prior? <_<

Of course those who weren't cooking/bring the recipes for dishes, and the ones making a party without telling the club (what would they do if there was only food enough to feed the twelve in the group and not the other 30 people????) should be beaten. :blink::blink:

I agree with just dropping the group as far as most are concerned, and just continuing with the four or so other couples who really tried.

I'm curious - did each couple get a list of the "rules"?

Maybe you could go about the email by saying that you think the club hasn't exactly ended up as what you intended, and you feel you should clarify your expectations for the club, then give them a list? And, of course, offer them the option to back out if they feel this isn't what they signed up for.

I wouldn't be able to write, because I would be too busy shoving beer cans and cream puffs in some interesting places.

I wouldn't be able to write, because I would be too busy shoving beer cans and cream puffs in some interesting places.

:good:

;)

:rofl: I could see people walking really funny back to the car...... :good:

;)

:rofl: I could see people walking really funny back to the car...... :good:

Hey, I'm with OC! :lol:

The problem is, the OP said these are friends of hers so she has to be tactful.

:rofl:

The last post in this topic was posted 5036 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.