Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

I am so grossed out...

The last post in this topic was posted 5040 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Almost all school age kids end up getting them at some point. All you can do is go screaming out of the house to the local drug store to arm yourself with the spray, shampoo, combs etc. Those damn things run rampant through a school or daycare in nothing flat.... :)

Almost all school age kids end up getting them at some point. All you can do is go screaming out of the house to the local drug store to arm yourself with the spray, shampoo, combs etc. Those damn things run rampant through a school or daycare in nothing flat.... :)

Yep! My son's previous school was a SMALL private school, pre-K through 3rd grade. Ten kids per class, 4 classes. At one point we had almost 2/3rds out due to head lice! :D

Yes black children/adults do not get lice. It has something to do with the natural oil & texture of their hair that lice do not like.

If you google it, you'll find tons of personal anecdotes by black people who've had lice.

It's not as common as with other ethnicities, but it does happen.

[

I ended up missing about two weeks of school because of it, since my high school had a rule that if you even had dead ones or nits, you couldn't go back. So I had to go in every other day to have the nurse check it out to see if I was ok .. if she found even one dead one, it was a no. Took us forever to comb out all the dead ones, but we had it pretty much cleared up in a week. I had really long (by long, I mean waist length), very thick hair too, that's what made it take so long.

When my DD had it they did that....saying she couldnt come to school till every nit was gone. Well when I took her to her peds (just to make sure the treatment I was doing was right and if he could recommend anything else) She already had missed a week of school and me a week of work....he wrote a long note to the school saying the dead ones are not a threat...live nits yes send them home but dead ones can take up to a moth to get out of hair esp long thick hair. They did let her back on school and we always checked her hair every night and morning before school. I couldnt afford to miss another week or two of work and I had a note from the peds saying I was doing everything right and had treated my DD correctly.

DD had them about four years ago. from school of course.

I did the first treatment of the shampoo and then started googling the shampoo and what I read about it scared me to death.

I then did a search for home remedies and tried the olive oil on the hair for one whole night. Withing two days she was rid of the pests.

She had silky hair after that.

Nikki

My son got lice from daycare once. It wasn't a full infestation; only one was found on his head. Followed through with RID and had a prescription on hand *just in case.* Afterwards, he had hairspray in his hair everyday. He hasn't had them again.

Here is a question though. I've heard black people don't get lice. I always try to use my son's story to get my students not to tease anyone who gets lice, but my black children always say they can't get them. Anyone know?

It's because of the product they put in their hair, nothing else.

Also drying your hair makes a difference, too. Air-drying the hair isn't a good idea, increases an infestation.

I know a family that goes through regular infestations because they live on a farm with animals and ride horses frequently.

In October there's always a breakout because people go to the store and try on different masks and hats and transfer them that way.

The last post in this topic was posted 5040 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.