Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Wal-Mart clerk asked me for ID...

The last post in this topic was posted 4769 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

...for an Amex purchase tonight. I was not purchasing any "age restricted" products, like alcohol, tobacco, or spray paint. Of course, I politely refused. The clerk then insisted, "I need to see your ID because it's a credit transaction." I responded, "No, I do not have to show ID for a credit card purchase." She gave me the expected speech about "how I should be grateful they ask for ID" and all that. I said "There is no law that says I have to show my ID on demand to anyone except a law enforcement officer." She said she'd have to call the manager to approve her selling me the items without ID or some nonsense like that. I said, "Fine...call the manager." The manager came over and proceeded to instruct the clerk to "compare the signatures" on a credit card transaction. The manager asked if my card was signed. I showed her my Amex card with my signature on the back. I then said to the clerk, "The transaction was approved. My card is signed. I have complied with my cardholder agreement and I am also in compliance with Florida state law. I would like my receipt so I can take my property and leave." The clerk handed me my receipt, I quickly checked it for accuracy, and then left with my purchase.

I refuse to be one of the SHEEPLE...

I'm surprised that GEORGE hasn't chimed in on this one... :blink:

I think he's on vacation.

Anyway, good for you. <_<

I could cut-and-paste some of George's canned responses, if that'd help. :P

I'm surprised that GEORGE hasn't chimed in on this one... :blink:

I think he's on vacation.

Anyway, good for you. <_<

I could cut-and-paste some of George's canned responses, if that'd help. :glare:

:P

What gets me is clerks who ask me for my ID when using my SIGNED American Express card, which HAS MY PICTURE ON THE BACK.

I love the signs "We check ID for your protection".

Haha, VISA/MC already protects me, check my signature and let me buy my stuff. I love how they try to "protect" me.

I stopped at circut city tonight to buy a few things.

I whipped out my visa card.. handed it to the kid, who then told me that he needed to see my ID.

Of course I told him no, that I was not required to show ID for this purchase.

At that point, the kid just up and started to walk away with my card.

No need in saying I screamed at the kid to bring my card back and hand it to me.

These guys blew my mind in trying to tell me that there is no rule that visa has saying that they cant check ID's.

Too bad they blew a 200 dollar sale at the same time.

What gets me is that these people also think it's their job to *compare* signatures (receipt with card). It's not! The signature on the back of my card is my acceptance of the cardholder agreement. The signature on the receipt is my acceptance of the transaction, and my authorization / agreement to pay.

What gets me is that these people also think it's their job to *compare* signatures (receipt with card). It's not! The signature on the back of my card is my acceptance of the cardholder agreement. The signature on the receipt is my acceptance of the transaction, and my authorization / agreement to pay.

Ah, my apologies, apparently I was mistaken. They are supposed to compare signatures...

http://usa.visa.com/download/business/acce...a_merchants.pdf

But, do read the bottom of page 29. If I could be bothered, I'd print a copy of that page, and show it to any store manager that refuses to accept my CC without ID. :)

I've always wondered about the compare signature thing. Technically, the transaction is already done and approved. Are they really going to revoke it after it's already been approved?

Ah, my apologies, apparently I was mistaken. They are supposed to compare signatures...

http://usa.visa.com/download/business/acce...a_merchants.pdf

But, do read the bottom of page 29. If I could be bothered, I'd print a copy of that page, and show it to any store manager that refuses to accept my CC without ID. :)

I've always wondered about the compare signature thing. Technically, the transaction is already done and approved. Are they really going to revoke it after it's already been approved?

Actually, the clerk should call in a Code10 afterwards if the siggys do not match.

Avoiding the confrontation should be a must for safety reasons.

I stopped at circut city tonight to buy a few things.

I whipped out my visa card.. handed it to the kid, who then told me that he needed to see my ID.

Of course I told him no, that I was not required to show ID for this purchase.

At that point, the kid just up and started to walk away with my card.

No need in saying I screamed at the kid to bring my card back and hand it to me.

These guys blew my mind in trying to tell me that there is no rule that visa has saying that they cant check ID's.

Too bad they blew a 200 dollar sale at the same time.

Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 and report them.

Circuit City must be stopped.

No one should ever have to go through what you've been through.

Never show ID for credit card purchases ever!

And sign your card!!

This ask to see ID ticks me off.

You are hurting yourself because you are breaking the card member agreement.

And you are taking entirely too much time in front of me in line. I would much rather see you fight the good fight of not showing your ID.

Haha, VISA/MC already protects me, check my signature and let me buy my stuff. I love how they try to "protect" me.

FOR MY PROTECTION...I DON'T SHOW ID

1-5 SECONDS AFTER THE CARD IS "RAN" IT IS APPROVED

Asking for ID does not make an approved sale no longer approved

Happened to me at Wal-Mart. Too bad I needed that prescription, and good thing I carried just enough cash. Card was signed and asked for ID, I told them to go screw themselves.

I just recieved a letter from my bank about my VISA card. The letter states that they believe that my card and many others may have been compromised at a local merchant. The letter said that it could not release the name of the merchant due to an ongoing investigation. The letter asked me to review a list of charges and report any fraudulent activity. Most of the charges they asked me to review were for Walmart or Sams with a few others thrown in for good measure. The thing is, one of the charges they are questioning was a charge where walmart asked for ID on my signed card. This could explain a lot of the requests for ID.

*sigh* So today I was paying for gas. They asked for ID. I was very polite and refused. The clerk asked why. I explained why. So they called the police and let me tell you, that was a fun conversation.

*sigh* So today I was paying for gas. They asked for ID. I was very polite and refused. The clerk asked why. I explained why. So they called the police and let me tell you, that was a fun conversation.

Yeah, so tell us...

I'm surprised the police even showed up for something like this. Generally, such civil matters are not important enough for their attention. They tell you, over the phone of course, to work it out on your own.

Long story short: they refused to accept the card as payment because I wouldn't produce an ID. I was very careful to be extremely polite and keep a pleasant tone and expression on my face, and I explained why I don't carry ID to show to clerks, and I sympathized with the clerk's position, and then I asked for the manager. I was told no manager of any kind was on shift. I asked for the manager's contact info, which they gave. I then said I'd be happy to provide alternate payment. I went back out to my car and got my debit card (which I nearly never use) and pulled cash from their ATM. Unbeknownst to me, she called the police during this time. Then I paid, I received my receipt, and I left the store. That was when I was approached by two uniformed officers.

I explained to the police exactly what I explained to her. I also showed my receipt for payment and my state-issued ID. Apparently the clerk told them she thought I had a stolen credit card.

I'm deliberating over this situation for a couple of days and doing more research here before I write a letter to the CEO of SuperAmerica, and the Better Business Bureau, and the state attorney general (with whom my mother-in-law has a personal business relationship) and anyone else I can think of. I need to be very careful as to what I put in this letter.

Yeah, stores actually do it for their own protection. They're trying to keep their costs down by not getting jacked by merchant fees for getting too many chagebacks.

I would sue that gas station.

I don't blame the gas station. If someone suspects a crime they should call the police. If they're not sure whether or not a crime is happening, the police should be able to help them determine that. Unfortunately in this case the police were in the wrong. As long as the girl told the police the truth (someone tried to use a credit card and refused to show an ID with it) I don't blame her too much. Now the police who decide to pull someone over for that -- yeah they're at fault there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lindiet
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines