Sign in to follow this  
Daddy

Does having good credit make you happy?

Conversely, does having bad credit make you unhappy? I am a happy person, altogether. But I'll admit, while I was in college and going through some things with collections and late credit card payments, it was miserable. I was still the same old happy person, but the fact that I had bad credit was always lingering over my head. Now, with higher credit card limits than I could ever imagine, and only one derog on each report, I find myself feeling like a bigger man now. it seems like I can walk with my head held high now. I know people say money can't buy you happiness, but I know good credit can!

I think it's moreover the confidence that "good credit" gives you than whether or not it makes you happy. The question is along the lines of "does money make you happy?", and the answer is, having the money you NEED (not necessarily all you WANT) when you NEED it is liberating. It allows you to focus on the things that DO make you happy rather than worrying about whether or not you have what you need.

I think it's moreover the confidence that "good credit" gives you than whether or not it makes you happy. The question is along the lines of "does money make you happy?", and the answer is, having the money you NEED (not necessarily all you WANT) when you NEED it is liberating. It allows you to focus on the things that DO make you happy rather than worrying about whether or not you have what you need.

I agree.

i think liberating is a great term for this. i think i am less stressed than i was a year ago. i still think and worry about money a lot but the daily turmoil that comes with bad credit and out of control debt is gone. i don't worry about something coming up where i might need a good credit limit card (business expenses come to mind) or unxpected expenses.

our finances are still tight as we work to pay down all debt but i have a much better handle on what we're doing and how do get it done. it's not about money making me happy, it's about a plan and control making me happy.

I fully agree that having good credit makes you happy, or at lease at peace with yourself. I once had excellent credit, up til 2004, when it all began. I wasn't nervous when applying for mortgages, car loans, credit cards. I was never denied. Now, I'm miserable. Most of my friends and clients can't tell, but it's eating me alive. I'm always wondering whether my debit card will go through at the store. I can't use any credit cards, and I'm too stubborn to get a secured card. Looking at my bank account balances always puts me in a bad mood. I can't wait til this mess is all over!

Conversely, does having bad credit make you unhappy? I am a happy person, altogether. But I'll admit, while I was in college and going through some things with collections and late credit card payments, it was miserable. I was still the same old happy person, but the fact that I had bad credit was always lingering over my head. Now, with higher credit card limits than I could ever imagine, and only one derog on each report, I find myself feeling like a bigger man now. it seems like I can walk with my head held high now. I know people say money can't buy you happiness, but I know good credit can!

Old wise man told me "son, everything before the word 'but' is usually untrue". im sure your new happy person alot happier than old happy :) . i agree with peek and shar about similar words to describe the feeling of good credit. An insurance agent called me back today to follow-up on my quote shopping...i told her all the other agency quotes keep coming back to me with Travelers as the lowest premium. She said that was due in part to your good credit. :grin: Now THAT made me happy! :good:

I'll let you know when I have good credit.

Having bad credit does make me feel pretty lousy almost daily. I work to fight that as I know being a moron at 18 doesn't define who I am today (hopefully).

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

-Camus

In the words of Smokey, "I second that emotion!" :grin:

I check my scores this morning and my EQ FICO has risen from 505 on 12/07/06 to 689 today, I am writing this as I bask in the afterglow of the results of my work to rectify my situation.....EMPOWERING is a term which comes to mind.

So true --------------------> You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

-Camus

I can't say that I am happier with good credit because I am not there yet. However, I can say that I am happier because I am WAAAyyy better informed about credit matters and so when I get a nasty-gram from a CA, I am ok with it because I KNOW that I have more control over that situation than I thought before.

And because I have more control over the situation and know that it isn't a helpless struggle against scum CA's and that I CAN prevail, I can say that I am happier as a result of that. I can't wait to feel the happiness of clean credit and 5-figure CL's!

I was happy when I had bad credit because I didn't care about my credit at that time. I've always been fortunate in never having to make a choice between my thermostat setting and putting food on the table. The down side to that is I pissed a lot of money away on late fees and NSF charges. In 2005 I paid a year's worth of university tuition in NSF fees. When I started viewing it in those terms and when I needed credit to buy a car that didn't smoke or had windows that rolled down, I started to realize the impact the choices I made earlier in life were having. Not only that, my crappy credit was having a direct effect on my new wife.

I don't know if happiness is the right word, but I feel a sense of accomplishment when I think about where my situation is now and where I was just a year ago. Also, god forbid, but if anything were happen to me, my DW will not be left with a steaming pile of crap to deal with.

As with what others have said, having good credit allows me the freedom of mind when using my card to pay for things. I don't worry that it'll get denied for dinner or gas. No worry of humiliation.

Having good credit is necessary if you don't have a house and plan on buying one w/out the help of a cosigner. Having had to juggle my tiny credit limit on a sub prime card in the past, having good credit nows does give me a lot of peace of mind. If an emergency comes at me from nowhere, I know that I have plenty of credit to carry my family and myslef through the hard times.

I have had great credit in the past. But, I was married to a person I hated. So, I had good credit and was unhappy.

Credit and money have little to do with happiness. But, having good credit and more money makes things easier!!!

I check my scores this morning and my EQ FICO has risen from 505 on 12/07/06 to 689 today, I am writing this as I bask in the afterglow of the results of my work to rectify my situation.....EMPOWERING is a term which comes to mind.

So true --------------------> You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

-Camus

Ahhh one of my favorite... ironically he also said, "But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?"

Albert Camus

To sum it up, good credit can be associated with a whole bunch of words and/or feelings. FREEDOM is another that comes to mind.

Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.

Albert Camus

Again that old wise man saying comes through.

I wouldn't consider my own credit "good" just yet, just "ok" but it's sure better than what it was & yes, it makes me happy... It makes me happy knowing that my debts are paid, that I don't have to be afraid to answer the phone or check the mailbox, AND that nobody is going to come knocking on my door to arrest me. (Sounds silly now but I was having those thoughts years ago.)

I think of my credit as something like my dishes. When they're all clean & put away, nobody notices ~ but when they're all stacked up & dirty around the sink, it sure does stand out. For now, it's like my credit is going through the dishwasher cycles... with new trade lines aging and old baddies falling off. But at least they're not all piled up dirty around the sink anymore :blush2:

It THRILLS me to discover that we have RIGHTS, that there ARE laws, and that it's free to find out what they are & how they can help us all & I share my discoveries with those nearest & dearest to me, family & friends alike.

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

-Camus

true dat, dawg

Having bad credit makes me unhappy.

1) I can't get 99% of apartments. Forget trying to rent a house. Most apartments won't take co-signers.

Then I have to pay a HUGE deposit even though my rent has NEVER EVER been late.

2) I can't get an auto loan from anyone except a "buy here, pay here" scam. Then they want like $2,000 and charge 30% for crap cars.

3) I can't get 99% of credit cards.

4) I can't even THINK about buying a house.

5) I can't get bank accounts at 99% of banks.

6) Forget any kind of real personal or medical loan...it won't happen.

7) More and more jobs are closed to me due to bad credit.

8) I can't get a private student loan to finish my master's.

9) When I get credit, I pay ridiculous rates and fees.

I would do anything (legal) not to have bad credit. The sad part is, if I had filed BK instead of trying to pay my debts, I'd be better off. That's not really an option now because then it would be on my reports until 2017 (and most of the big debts are from 2003).

Life in the U.S. is downright difficult without good credit.

Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something,

nothing;

T'Was mine, 'tis his, and has been slaves to

thousands;

But he that filches from me my good name robs

me of that which not enriches him, and makes

me poor indeed

Othello, III,iii,157-61(Iago)

Today credit ratings are the equivelant of a personal reputation, having a good credit rating equates with having a "good name".

The TRUTH about a person's REAL reputation or "good name" has been lost in the "score driven" information age that gives us loads of data and little knowledge.

No it sux having decent-good credit. My new years resolution will be to close all my CC's but first charge at least a dollar on all of them and not pay them for at least 180 days, also I'll opt back in and fill out a buncha mortgage apps. :wub:

Edited by RacieRacer

Having bad credit makes me unhappy.

1) I can't get 99% of apartments. Forget trying to rent a house. Most apartments won't take co-signers.

Then I have to pay a HUGE deposit even though my rent has NEVER EVER been late.

2) I can't get an auto loan from anyone except a "buy here, pay here" scam. Then they want like $2,000 and charge 30% for crap cars.

3) I can't get 99% of credit cards.

4) I can't even THINK about buying a house.

5) I can't get bank accounts at 99% of banks.

6) Forget any kind of real personal or medical loan...it won't happen.

7) More and more jobs are closed to me due to bad credit.

8) I can't get a private student loan to finish my master's.

9) When I get credit, I pay ridiculous rates and fees.

I would do anything (legal) not to have bad credit. The sad part is, if I had filed BK instead of trying to pay my debts, I'd be better off. That's not really an option now because then it would be on my reports until 2017 (and most of the big debts are from 2003).

Life in the U.S. is downright difficult without good credit.

The more I have improved my credit the more liberating it feels. At least now there is hope after some small improvements. Most of these 9 points mentioned apply to me as well. My medical is from 2001/2002 and BK would have left me better off.

Good credit would make me happy just knowing if I wanted an in-store I could, even if I don't. Having a major CC would ease my mind next time I have a blow-out on I-35 and need a set of tires and am crossing my fingers that my debit goes through in case of an emergency.

Good credit would make me happy because it reflects the person I am today, and not the person 5 years ago who couldn't pay medical bills.

Good credit would make me happy because of the sense of empowerment I have knowing I proactively made things better for me and my daughter.

-Camus

So true!!!