Sign in to follow this  
Repair Damage

Dirty Trick for a dirty business

I've seen some security features on checks where special ink with words such as void appear when copied. I thought of possibly seeing if it was possible to use this for our purposes. Using that type of ink, put a restriction on a certified check (that they would likely not be able to get the original for) that this check is considered payment in full and sent them a check for say $50 dollars. Make photocopies as usual for anything you send them, and then request a copy of the signed check from the bank. Both copies should have the restriction visible and could yield a cheap way out :grin:

ETA: I'm sure I'll get some flames for this, but surely even those who disagree will admire it's creativity.

Edited by Repair Damage

I've seen some security features on checks where special ink with words such as void appear when copied. I thought of possibly seeing if it was possible to use this for our purposes. Using that type of ink, put a restriction on a certified check (that they would likely not be able to get the original for) that this check is considered payment in full and sent them a check for say $50 dollars. Make photocopies as usual for anything you send them, and then request a copy of the signed check from the bank. Both copies should have the restriction visible and could yield a cheap way out :aggressive:

ETA: I'm sure I'll get some flames for this, but surely even those who disagree will admire it's creativity.

I'm not sure how the bank converts the paper check to an electronic instrument before they destroy it.

Do they scan it? Take a picture? I guess that mechanism would determine whether or nor the watermark would be visible in the digital image.

As for legal questions, I have no clue.

But, I agree completely that it is very creative. :grin:

Edited by darth_fico

A restrictive endorsement, even if written in blood instead of invisible ink is worthless unless it has been agreed to in writing by both parties and is legal in your State. :grin:

I'm not sure how the bank converts the paper check to an electronic instrument before they destroy it.

Do they scan it? Take a picture? I guess that mechanism would determine whether or nor the watermark would be visible in the digital image.

As for legal questions, I have no clue.

But, I agree completely that it is very creative. :grin:

I'm not even sure where to get such ink, or if it is something that needs to be embedded within the paper of the check. I also didn't even think of the fact that the recreation by the bank may not cause the ink to appear. I was just looking at a check, and a lightbulb went off. I most likely won't even bother researching further, but thought it would at least be an interesting discussion :aggressive: I have enough violations on my only real baddie that if they want to play hard ball, they'll end up owing me money anyway :aggressive:

A restrictive endorsement, even if written in blood instead of invisible ink is worthless unless it has been agreed to in writing by both parties and is legal in your State. :aggressive:

I understand that it needs to be legal in your state (it is in mine if it's not challenged on the check). But if you included something in the letter stating that by depositing the enclosed check, you agree to blablabla.... and they laugh as they see that the check has no restriction and deposit it, you'll end up with the last laugh :grin:

Edited by Repair Damage

A restrictive endorsement, even if written in blood instead of invisible ink is worthless unless it has been agreed to in writing by both parties and is legal in your State. :cry2:

I understand that it needs to be legal in your state (it is in mine if it's not challenged on the check). But if you included something in the letter stating that by depositing the enclosed check, you agree to blablabla.... and they laugh as they see that the check has no restriction and deposit it, you'll end up with the last laugh :sorry:

Well, I don't know.

Would you want this to be the legal standard?

So banks and lenders could do the same to consumers?

I wouldn't.

It's a fun thought, I but I don't think it would "hold up in court" as they say.

Well, I don't know.

Would you want this to be the legal standard?

So banks and lenders could do the same to consumers?

I wouldn't.

It's a fun thought, I but I don't think it would "hold up in court" as they say.

I certainly wouldn't want this to happen to me. I fully understand the moral implications of even suggesting this. As I said, I was just throwing out the idea because I thought it'd be an interesting discussion. More for the "stick it to them" feeling one would get in getting over on a CA who willfully violates over and over and gets away with it. It was more of just a fantasy to lighten my day knowing that I likely have a long road ahead of me dealing with a nasty CA. Obviously there are plenty of other routes to take in dealing with them.

This option could obviously lead to a lot of problems. If the CA caught this, i.e. if they made copies for their own records, I'm sure it would breaking some laws. It is likely equivalent to a forged document in terms of the law. Also as it was mentioned, the copy that the bank makes may not lead to the restriction being visible. I'm not suggesting anyone do this, and I honestly wouldn't do it myself (worst case I pay off the CA with their own money after I sue them). I certainly wouldn't want to start a precedent for this, again I was just trying to lighten my own day with the fantasy of getting over on people who get over on others day after day.

Keep in mind, also, that it isn't even advised to send a CA your personal banking information. Sure, you might be able to pull your stunt off, but it would likely be only after they've raped your bank account. Then you'd be fighting in court for how long while they have your money?

Keep in mind, also, that it isn't even advised to send a CA your personal banking information. Sure, you might be able to pull your stunt off, but it would likely be only after they've raped your bank account. Then you'd be fighting in court for how long while they have your money?

I failed to mention, but eluded to, using a bank check. Again this is all hypothetical (honestly), and I would never use a personal check to pay any CA thanks to warnings I read on here before proceeding with my repair.

I failed to mention, but eluded to, using a bank check. Again this is all hypothetical (honestly), and I would never use a personal check to pay any CA thanks to warnings I read on here before proceeding with my repair.

You have missed the whole point of the inanity of your scheme. You are proposing to PAY A CA.

It doesn't make any difference how dumb your "trick" is, the end result is that you would be paying a scum scam CA. Even a "trick" RED CENT is way too much.

Even IF they accepted your $$ as payment in full for their "claim" you would, at best get a "paid collection" on your report. And they would have EVERY right to sell your account, ( with the "kick me, I'm a sucker" label on it) to another lowlife scum CA for the balance, plus interest and fees and have it re-aged by the new CA.

I think I am going to add this thread to the "sticky" thread on "How To Pay Your Debts" ( NOT). :wave:

You have missed the whole point of the inanity of your scheme. You are proposing to PAY A CA.

It doesn't make any difference how dumb your "trick" is, the end result is that you would be paying a scum scam CA. Even a "trick" RED CENT is way too much.

Even IF they accepted your $$ as payment in full for their "claim" you would, at best get a "paid collection" on your report. And they would have EVERY right to sell your account, ( with the "kick me, I'm a sucker" label on it) to another lowlife scum CA for the balance, plus interest and fees and have it re-aged by the new CA.

I think I am going to add this thread to the "sticky" thread on "How To Pay Your Debts" ( NOT). :)

I'm in no way representing that the CA's would just back down. It would however be more leverage (if it were to hold up). A paid collection for me (since both are over 5 years old and I'm in NY) would yield a deletion. I'm certain that if I were to do this (and again I have no need to), that the balance would be sold off to another CA and the headache would start all over. You are more than welcome (not that you need my permission) to post this is "How To Pay Your Debts" :P I always trust and enjoy reading your posts, and a endorsement for this as how (not) to pay your debts would be an honor :) As I stated, I'm not suggesting anyone do this, it was purely hypothetical and fastastical.