Sign in to follow this  
DrTre

Dealer offered, I refused, now I'm confused..

I went to a dealer to try to purchase a vehicle. My previous vehicle was totaled and I still owe 892.00 on it when my insurance tototaled it. The vehicle I went to purchase was $17,888. The dealer offered to pay the 892.00 and cut me a check for the sales tax. Given that my credit and my wife's is in the low 500's (I know, we're working on it) I figured that I'm going to get stuck by interest.

What the dealer came back and said was my payments would be between $500 & $512 /month for 72 months. If I'm not mistaken $512 x 72 = $36864.00 over 6 years. This looks like an interest rate of 89%. Am I wrong?

Needless to say I didn't take the deal, but what they said threw me for a loop. They said that I could come back in a year, after making timely payments, and refinance.

Here's my question:

If I had taken the deal, wouldn't the bill of sale had read $36864.00 and after a year's payments of $512 monthly I'd had paid out $6,144. That would leave $30720 on a vehicle that the blue book value on it is currently $21000. Wouldn't that put me in the hole almost $10000 at refinance time?

$36864.00 would have been the total amount of payments made including the amount financed, and the finance charges, not the "sale" price of the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.

So depending on the sale price determines whether or not I'd be in the hole at refinance time?

That intrest rate is high. Although my last vehicle it was 25%, I only had a year left to pay on it, although I was late 5 times in the last 2 years. I guess that's what I have to live with until the credit score goes up, if I want a dependable vehicle..

I was confused about the selling price, but I am more clear on that now. Any more info that I need to know about?

Thanks.

They said that I could come back in a year, after making timely payments, and refinance.

That's not possible, They cannot finance a vehicle they no longer own.

Ohhh.... I missed that part, thanks.. But I have the option to refinance it right? Or is refinancing a bad option for a vehicle?