Sign in to follow this  
PsychDoc

BORROWERS BEWARE: nageneral.com

I received a communication regarding an apparently fraudulent lending site -- nageneral.com. An examination of that site certainly suggests (to my eye, anyway) a strong probability of shenanigans. As just one example of several, under "Loan News" in the right-side sidebar, the article begins, "The auguries are auspicious..." (?) and the resultant "read more" link goes nowhere.

To make the messaging sequence clear, here's the path:

-- The original victim posted this somewhere.

-- A second victim responded to that individual.

-- That second victim also forwarded her response as well as the original message to me.

Anyway, here is the message with personal identifying data for all individuals removed:

To: [name1]

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:00 PM

Subject: North American General Financial

Hi [name1], I just found your post on this company ....I guess a little too late ...I just Western Unioned them $3900.00 to receive money for business loan also. I googled the phone number to the company and found your post because noone is returning my phone calls all day today. I feel like I am going to be sick. I was wondering what steps I need to take. I have all the same thing ...loan number ...everything. This is insane! Any advise you can give me will help! I have even called the [telephone number removed] and it is saying Goodbye and hanging up! I am on my way home to contact the police dept. Have you heard anything at all? Thanks, [name2]

Copy of Complaint by [name1]

My fiance and I work hard to keep our heads above water. Usually we work between 10 and 20 hours of overtime just to make our bills. We know we are not alone in that category. We know many people who work just as hard. He works for an auto parts manufacturer and I work for GE Consumer Finance in the credit card division. I have two boys, 14 and 6 and he has two girls, 12 and 10. We were making it ok until this last week. I have always wanted to be able to spend more time with my family. I wanted my boys to be able to see that you could make something better for yourself if you tried, so I went out trying to find a loan on the Internet to start a business.I found a website promising that they could find a loan for anyone through private lenders and banks. The name of the company is North American General Financial (http://www.nageneral.com) and their email is info@nageneral.com. I recently applied and researched the company and it's background to the best of my ability. Everything checked out fine and they were even listed with the Better Business Bureau in Connecticut. They told me I was approved for a loan with a private lender and then sent me a loan packet. I sent them 2019.00 to pay for "account security" insurance against default, disability, etc. by Western Union MTCN # xxx-xxx-xxxx. It was all the money we had. I never received anything in return. As soon as the money was received by the "George [removed]" that it was sent to, Mr. Joseph [removed] my "loan rep" stopped answering my calls. The number that they list on the "loan packet" is a number based in Michigan, not in Connecticut as they claim to be. The number listed is [removed]. They also gave me a fax numberof [removed]. I have all of the proof of what I sent, the loan packet and the number that they have is still operational. They are still out there. No one will answer my calls though because you have to leave your name first. Of course, no one calls back either. My family has no money to pay our rent, food, utilities, or even gas to get to work. Our utilities will be shut off on Tuesday. They took everything out our bank account as soon as our checks were deposited this week. We are reaching out for help. Please contact me at . This is my work email address and you are also welcome to call either myself or my fiance. My number is [removed] and his is [removed]. I want to get these people/person caught so they can not steal anyone else's money, hopes, and dreams!!!! In addition to all of this, they have been using my information to apply for credit. In the time that they have had my paperwork, they have applied at over 20 places for credit. These people are operating as a scam. I told the man on the phone what was at stake for my family. He willfully disregarded my statements and assured me that the money would be deposited in 2 to three hours. Instead, I now have no money for food and was forced to go to a food bank for help. I have no bank account now at all and had to take unpaid time off for my job to have the IT team scan my computer. I have all the documents from the "transaction" if you could call it that.

Thank You,

[name1]

[email1]

[phone1]

Borrowers, remain vigilant whenever asked to provide personal information. Helpful links for others who have been victimized by similarly fraudulent creditors or unidentifiable collectors:

FBI and National White Collar Crime Coalition

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/

(fill out the complaint form)

FTC

http://www.ftc.gov

(fill out the complaint form)

Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org/complaint.asp

I hope this proves helpful to someone.

Doc

:rofl: This is awful, just horrible. I really feel for these families. I know what it's like to be scammed. Not a good feeling.

Makes me sick.

Bump. It is important that this been seen. Thanks Doc. Disgusting SOB's need to be hung.

Many warning signs on that site:

1. Poor English.

2. Many links do not work

3. Application asks for sensitive information but is not submitted via secure channel (http, should be https)

4. No contact information listed

5. Title on the some pages doesn't match content "Air Travel company"? Obviously, pages created by an amateur using a template.

6. Domain registered through a proxy service -- huge warning sign.

Another one of these fraud sites?

The first clue to anyone should be that no legitimate lender is going to ask you to send $3900 via WU as an upfront fee.

The most disturbing part of this scam is that they defraud the people who can least afford it. Looking at that site it appears the con artists are outside of the US which means nailing them will be difficult.

Scams like this are so out of control. :rolleyes:

You hear about it in the news, you read about it, yet people keep falling for these horrible scams.

My boss, an intelligent lady, kept selling our equipment to someone in Nigeria. The scammer would not call in person, but would use a telephone relay. (think that is what it's called) He would pay with a CC. If one was denied, he would offer another one. I explained to her that the minute you hear Nigeria, RUN. But it was too late. Our company took about a 60K$ hit when a month later, the credit card companies wouldn't honor the transactions.

Point of story is, ANYONE can fall victim to these types of scams. It is sometimes too hard for me to read, especially when it is happening to individual families.

Yup. The old advance fee fraud scam.

Anytime a "lender" requires that you put up a large sum of money as "insurance" (especially if they have you wire it to an individual outside the US), it's nothing but a ripoff of those who can least afford it.

Man that scam sucks.

Never send anyone money via Western Union/MO/Check that you are not sure of. (Like sending WU to someone as a gift is fine, but to an unknonw company is bad... same for MO/Check)

Simple rule, folks. Anyone who says you are approved for a loan but asks you to send them a signigicant amount of money in order to finish processing and issue the loan is SCAMMING YOU!!!!! Legitimate lenders would deduct costs from loan proceeds. Think about it, if I am going to send you a $20,000 loan proceed check, why the heck would I need you to send me a couple of thousand first? And the scammers always want the money in certified funds, Western Union, or some other method where you can't cancel the transaction. These people prey on desperate people.

It never ceases to amaze me that scammers can still make money from the "Nigerian Letter" scam. They send people an e-mail claiming that they have millions of dollars in a Nigerian bank, and need to transfer it into a foreign bank to move it out of their country. And, Lucky You, they happened to have your e-mail address, and are willing to pay you a HUGE commission for accepting their money!!! Millions will be yours!!! They just need a few thousand dollars to bribe government officials. They have been perpetrating this fraud for years, and gullible and greedy people borrow money from relatives every day to send to Nigeria!!! Some even travel there!! It generates BILLIONS a year for the crooks!! Come on people, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Simple rule, folks. Anyone who says you are approved for a loan but asks you to send them a signigicant amount of money in order to finish processing and issue the loan is SCAMMING YOU!!!!! Legitimate lenders would deduct costs from loan proceeds. Think about it, if I am going to send you a $20,000 loan proceed check, why the heck would I need you to send me a couple of thousand first? And the scammers always want the money in certified funds, Western Union, or some other method where you can't cancel the transaction. These people prey on desperate people.

It never ceases to amaze me that scammers can still make money from the "Nigerian Letter" scam. They send people an e-mail claiming that they have millions of dollars in a Nigerian bank, and need to transfer it into a foreign bank to move it out of their country. And, Lucky You, they happened to have your e-mail address, and are willing to pay you a HUGE commission for accepting their money!!! Millions will be yours!!! They just need a few thousand dollars to bribe government officials. They have been perpetrating this fraud for years, and gullible and greedy people borrow money from relatives every day to send to Nigeria!!! Some even travel there!! It generates BILLIONS a year for the crooks!! Come on people, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

This scam is quite different from the 419 scam in many ways. This scam works by setting up web sites that use certain words to attract potential victims using internet search engines. Another major difference is that this is an advance loan fee scam, whereas the 419 scams offer to share ill gotten gains by depositing large sums in your bank account, then they tell you that local officials have to be bought off or some other such story.

Here's a similar operation shut down by the West Virginia AG:

West Virginia Shuts Down Advanced Fee Loan Scheme

Canadian Scam Artists Fleeced Consumers Through the U.S.

March 24, 2006

West Virginia Attorney General Darrell McGraw, Jr. said he has shut down a Canadian advanced fee loan scam operating under the name Global Capital Solutions.

McGraw said he learned of the scam last week after his Consumer Protection Division began receiving complaints from consumers across the country. Consumers who had been ripped off were calling the West Virginia Attorney General's Office because Global Capital Solutions represented that it was located at 180 Capital Street, Charleston, West Virginia - an address that does not exist.

Consumers complained that they were contacted by Global after submitting online loan applications. Some consumers applied for a loan directly on Global's website. Others filed applications on another major lender website who apparently referred the loan to Global.

Global told consumers they were approved for loans through "private lenders," private individuals willing to invest their money by making small loans to other private individuals.

Global also told consumers that before they could receive any loan proceeds they must wire lump sum advanced payments by Western Union to the private lender. All of the "private lenders" were located in Canada.

Global told the consumers that their loan proceeds would be direct deposited into their bank accounts after their deposit was received. However, after wiring their advanced payments, consumers said they did not receive the loan proceeds and Global stopped responding to their telephone calls and emails.

Global allegedly sent some consumers fake certified checks that appeared to be drawn on a Bank of America account. These consumers were instructed to deposit these checks into their personal checking accounts, then withdraw a portion of that money and wire it to the private lender in Canada.

At least one consumer reportedly deposited the fake check, wired the money, and is now in debt to his bank for $3,500.00, the amount of the fake check.

Working in conjunction with Allan D. Weiss, a solicitor and barrister with Kronis, Rotsztain, Margles, Cappel located in Toronto, Canada, McGraw was able to get Global Capital Solutions' toll free telephone number - 1-800-228-9861 - disconnected on Thursday, March 16, 2006. McGraw also shut down Global's website - Global-Capital-Solutions.com.

McGraw says any consumer accessing this site will now be alerted to Global's fraudulent activities and redirected to his website for more information. Global's website and telephone number had only been in operation for six weeks.

"Canadian authorities have linked the majority of advance fee loan scams originating from that country to organized crime," McGraw said.

"When consumers submitted the loan applications, they provided the bogus company with their social security numbers, bank account numbers and photocopies of their drivers licenses. These consumers are now prime candidates for identity theft."

This is REALLY sad. How terrible.

And it's SO prevalent!

I think I get a BofA or Paypal 'request for info or else account suspension' email every other week. I usually follow the link out of morbid curiosity and the first things I notice (after the EASY TO DUPLICATE look and feel) is the bogus url and the missing "lock" at the bottom of the page. BO-GUS! RED FLAG!

Oh, and I just sent something Western Union like a month ago...it's no wonder they have something like:(in big letters) "if you are sending money to get a loan or credit card, STOP!"