Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

This is brutal!!!!

The last post in this topic was posted 5205 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi All

My 10 YO has lice. What to do?

I have boiled all the brushes. Cleaned all the pillows, sheets, toy stuffed animals etc.

She survived 4 years of school with no problem. Now a visit to a new friends and wala.

She was complaning for 2 days about her head itching. I didn't give it the proper attention.

I wrote it off to the heat. She plays alot outdoors sports, bike riding etc.

Big mistake by me.

Now, are there any good over the counter med's to use? I am starting to itch just thinking about it.

Please advice. Thanks.

acesfull

Hi All

My 10 YO has lice. What to do?

I have boiled all the brushes. Cleaned all the pillows, sheets, toy stuffed animals etc.

She survived 4 years of school with no problem. Now a visit to a new friends and wala.

She was complaning for 2 days about her head itching. I didn't give it the proper attention.

I wrote it off to the heat. She plays alot outdoors sports, bike riding etc.

Big mistake by me.

Now, are there any good over the counter med's to use? I am starting to itch just thinking about it.

Please advice. Thanks.

acesfull

Go to the store and there are some headlice kits..I want to say in the pharmacy section. It's a special (?) shampoo with comb set. Follow the directions to get rid rid of the lice..You'll have to sterilize everything again after that most likely...I believe the box says to repeat the shampoo/kit after a week or two just in case...You'll want to re-sterilize everything after that one too I'm sure.

If you are talking about ridding her head from lice, RID is a standard, but I have found that mayonnaise in the hair (really caked in, like a whole jar) for several hours (with a shower cap over it) works well, conditions the hair, and is not near as harsh. Tea Tree Oil also works. Whatever method you choose, make sure you apply it to DRY hair, as the little buggers close up when introduced to water --which is why simple shampooing will not work). If you use RID (or another chemical lice remover) it shouldn't be necessary to pick nits, just reapply in a week or two. (However, I always picked nits, just couldn't stand having them in the kids hair) I would definately pick nits if you go with a more natural method, and still reapply in a week or two.

Put stuffed animals, pillows, etc in plastic bags and seal them up for a couple of weeks (they also make a "linen spray" for lice, you might spray that in the bags before sealing for an extra measure.)

Just wanted to reassure you that you aren't a bad or dirty person if "catch" lice. They actually prefer a clean host. It is a normal rite of passage...most all kids will have lice at some point and time.

If you are talking about ridding her head from lice, RID is a standard, but I have found that mayonnaise in the hair (really caked in, like a whole jar) for several hours (with a shower cap over it) works well, conditions the hair, and is not near as harsh. Tea Tree Oil also works. Whatever method you choose, make sure you apply it to DRY hair, as the little buggers close up when introduced to water --which is why simple shampooing will not work). If you use RID (or another chemical lice remover) it shouldn't be necessary to pick nits, just reapply in a week or two. (However, I always picked nits, just couldn't stand having them in the kids hair) I would definately pick nits if you go with a more natural method, and still reapply in a week or two.

Put stuffed animals, pillows, etc in plastic bags and seal them up for a couple of weeks (they also make a "linen spray" for lice, you might spray that in the bags before sealing for an extra measure.)

Just wanted to reassure you that you aren't a bad or dirty person if "catch" lice. They actually prefer a clean host. It is a normal rite of passage...most all kids will have lice at some point and time.

I got them when I was fourteen. A friend's older sister let her 4 yo daughter with headlice go over to Grandma's without warning anyone til after the fact. The girl was all over me and of course all over the furniture.

I ended up with headlice after visiting the same day (actually it was like two-three days in a row--again without knowing the girl had headlice) :o:rofl::P I was SOOO embarrassed!

My 9 year old daughter had Lice for the first time this past Fall, from spending the night at a friends house.

We bought RID. Put on the shampoo (dry hair), let it sit the correct time, then rinsed. Then used the special comb to pick Nits for HOURS. OMG, it took so long, and let me tell you--that freaking comb HURTS.

Anyway, we had to reapply the shampoo like a week later, and I think I even did it 2 weeks later also.

We vacuumed/washed/dried EVERYTHING. Stuffed animals, blankets, pillows, etc. They do sell a spray for your furniture, but I didn't use it---had an 18 month old running around at the time.

Good luck!

d.

WASH ALL THE SHEETS AND BLANKETS

CLEAN THE BEDROOM LIKE THE QUEEN MUM WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU A PERSONAL VISIT

PUT ALL THE STUFFED ANIMALS IN THE FREEZER (IF YOU CAN) AFTER THEY GO IN ZIP LOCK BAGS

(the freezer is too cold for them to live)--UNLESS THAT IS ONE OF THOSE BOGUS DEAL LIKE THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY ASKING FOR PAYMENT ON A DEAD PERSON'S CHARGES

VISIT THE PHARMACY FOR RID LICE MEDICINE

Edited by GEORGE

Hi

I am using a product called NIX. I hope we get everything tonight.

Anyone know the name of the lice spray killer for the pillows and linens and furniture?

This is brutal because my Daughter had a sleep over scheduled for tomorrow night.

I had to call all the parents and cancel. She feels so guilty like she did something wrong.

I will try to make her feel better while I am picking out the nits!!!! :clapping:

My dd had them a few years ago and they were so bad that the stuff from WalMart wouldn't get rid of them. And apparently they can mutate somewhat and build up a resistance to it. I finally went to the health foods store and bought something from them; it worked when nothing else would.

Afterward I was told that the old type of Listerine had something in it that killed lice. I don't know if it's true, but ...

I had lice long long time ago and don't remember it being pleasant - my cat however, got fleas a while back - THAT was tragic. I didn't even know what fleas were, so DH and I went to doctors for all these bug bites!! Twice, actually,.. noone bothered to look at the cat, until a friend came over and pointed out the she scratched herself (I really dont' pay attention), and that's what her cat did when it had fleas...

Anyway, my point was - as horrible as it was (the things were EVRYWHERE apparently) I washed the cat, combed her out; washed everything, vacuumed, fumed, vacuumed again, and sprayed with the furniture stuff - that night no more bites (for me or the cat); I washed the cat and shampooed again in a few days, brushing between washings (poor cat) and kept spraying and vacuuming.. Got rid of everything, but I had taken the entire house apart - drapes/couch cushions/linen closets..

Just think - it could be worse! lol My best friend had them a little while back - she said RID took care of everything first day, second washing is just follow up.

NIX works as well as RID. Poor girl, just keep telling her everything is okay, and you are gonna reschedule that sleep over.

My neice had them CONSTANTLY while her parents were going through a divorce. Every time my brother got her for visitation we had to pick nits. BRUTAL!!! That is why we went to the natural route, we had to use the chemicals so often that we were afraid for her health. The mayonaisse thing worked really well, but was kinda smelly. I feel like kind of an expert on the subject.... (My brother has custody now, and all is well!)

I like the mayo or tea tree oil also. The chemicals in the other treatments can be so nasty. My theory is why put a chemical that is going to kill something on a childs head when you have alternative safe methods for treatment of lice such as mayo and a shower cap. Remember to vaccuum your car/childs car seats if applicable. Also remeber to throw the bag away when you are finished. Linens and clothing should be washed in hot water and dried on high heat which will kill lice.

Like someone else said, it is not dirty people that get lice...they like a clean host and thrive in clean hair. And please do not cut your childs hair off because of this...she is probably already sad/embarassed.

Good luck.

Hi All

Thanks for the help so far. Right now she is shampooing the hair.

Did I mention her hair is verrrrrrry long.

Now what about me? Should I check myself? She lays on my bed and sits at my desk.

I have meeting's this week that I can't miss. I will be using the NIX tonight.

What is the mayonnaise thing? I am trying to laugh at this for DD but I really fear that my whole house is infested. I must calm down. DD is done the shower. Off to pick nits.

Thanks again.

acesfull

Mayo Thing:

Take a full jar of Mayo (not salad dressing, though I'm not sure why) and slather it in your daughters DRY hair, make sure to cover all (if she has really long hair you might use a jar and a half). Cover entire mess with a shower cap, let her play or watch TV or whatever for a couple of hours and then wash it out. (because mayo is largely oil, you might have to wash several times to get it all out) It is less harsh than the chemical shampoos (RID or NIX) and actually conditions the hair. You should repeat in a week or two and definately pick nits both times. It is safer than the chemicals (although I have never had a child have a reaction to the chemicals, but it is an insecticide that you are putting on your child).

****EDITED TO ADD*****

By all means, if she has been complaining about her head itching for two days, check your hair and all other house members/guests during that two days. You should treat everyone that has them, or you will just keep giving them to each other!!!

Edited by Taegus

Taegus

Thanks for your help and support. I used 2 bottles of NIX. 2 ozs cost 11.00 per bottle.

I may use the mayo for the 2nd treatment?

Your Daughter is lovely!!! :blink:

Thanks again.

acesfull :P trying my best to smile.

If you go the mayo route, be sure to leave it in for overnight. (You can also use olive oil) You want to make sure all the bugs smother. Be sure to thoroughly pick ALL the nits! Mayo will not kill the nits. Nix/Rid will kill 'most' of the nits, thats why you have to pick them all out, put them in a bag as you go along, seal the bag up and throw it in the trash outside. Either way, you must re-treat your child's head in seven days.

If she's been lying in your bed then you have to wash all your bed stuff too, throw the pillows in the dryer on hot for 30 minutes. Be sure to treat everyone in your household.

I know what a pain it is, good luck.

I like the mayo or tea tree oil also. The chemicals in the other treatments can be so nasty. My theory is why put a chemical that is going to kill something on a childs head when you have alternative safe methods for treatment of lice such as mayo and a shower cap. Remember to vaccuum your car/childs car seats if applicable. Also remeber to throw the bag away when you are finished. Linens and clothing should be washed in hot water and dried on high heat which will kill lice.

Like someone else said, it is not dirty people that get lice...they like a clean host and thrive in clean hair. And please do not cut your childs hair off because of this...she is probably already sad/embarassed.

Good luck.

On the other hand, why EAT something that kills something?? :angry::(:rofl:

Aces, don't feel bad in the least. I've been extremely fortunate to not have them myself, but I've kept plenty of kids that I've had to treat for them. You've been given excellent info all around, and it is very true that they prefer a clean host. My next door neighbor came over in tears last Christmas eve crying to my DD the hairdresser that her hubby had just screamed at her for a half hour because their daughter got headlice from a friend. DD went over and got all over him and told him how it really was. :angry:

great. Ever since I started reading this thread I've been paranoid and feeling like I gotta scratch my head/neck. :good: You gave me virtual lice! :beee::P

:rofl::rofl:

I have some virtual mayonnaise left over.

Boy that ham sandwich just doesn't taste the same anymore.

My daugther had then two years ago. I did the first treatment of NIX and then started reading about it on the internet. THe stuff I read scared the daylights out me. The first application did not work. But I decided that I would do just about anything else instead of using that stuff.

I did the mayo thing for two nights and it did not work. (She hates mayo now) :good: .

I also did olive oil in her hair at night and it worked wonders. Note that she also had long hair. The olive oil worked overnight. The people in school were amazed at how fast it worked. We did not pick out nits either. They drowned in the oil.

Give it a try.

I also recommend you read up on the information on the chemicals sold in the pharmacies to get rid of lice..

Nikki

You can always call your doctor and have him/her call in a prescription for it. I don't know if it is any better or not, though. When my son got it from daycare, I used RID, but got the script *just in case.* I didn't have to use it though.

As a side note, my step mother swears that using hairspray will help prevent lice. I guess they don't like it. :clapping:

SHAVE HER HEAD.

Just kidding... but I knew someone in elementary school who had a father who was an salamander and thought that was the only way to get rid of the lice.

My youngest DD had a horrible outbreak of them a few years back. Turns out that her cousin and her kept reinfesting each other as the treatments just never seemed to work. As my mother was the one watching them she ended up with them (in her 70's!).

The little bugs must have been a resistant strain because none of the normal shampoos seemed to work. We were finally told to find the foam in stuff and use that. It was the only thing that finally got rid of the damned things.

A little :( I just found a tick outbreak on our dogs and it's driving me nuts. I think we've got it under control now though.

One child in daycare or in a classroom can infect the whole room! My son got them at daycare once. After you shampoo, you have to check again and use a fine tooth comb to get the nits out. It is a pain in the neck. I think that everyone with kids goes through this.

Hi All

My DD is starting to relax. I just read on the net that 6-10 million people a year are infested with lice.

Now is this the reported number? I mean I'm not calling the Department of Health.

Well at least I know I'm not alone. I need a cold beer.Good night all and thanks again.

acesfull/ of lice!

The last post in this topic was posted 5205 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.