Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

WARNING!!

The last post in this topic was posted 5141 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hey I just wanted to offer a heads up, I have a Chase card (My lowest limit card, but 0% APR til Dec '06) that I've been using to pay certain utilities and what not, I signed DW up for the Privacy Source Trial a couple of mo. ago (And cancelled with in the first 10 DAYS) and low and behold they put a $99.00 charge on the card which almost put the card over the limit.

I check these accounts religiously, but what worries my about having so many active accounts - at least 10 we'll say. What if one of these turkeys decides to auto pay or renew some garbage credit monitoring or what ever - as an example.

This type of thing could easily ruin my credit, or anyone else’s not knowing any better.

A hypothesis;

You singed up for Experian national score index credit monitoring, you paid the money and assumed or figured it was a done deal, a year later they have a card number on file - just so happens that this card becomes over the limit as a result, or worse the card has been paid in full and you've sock drawered it and have opted for the online statements, no snail mail alert and maybe even no email alert if you've switched or something, now you have a balance that you are completely unaware of, and in time you might find out in a way you wish you wouldn’t of.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience about this?

This whole concept and idea of this happening to an unsuspecting card holder is slightly scary.

Give this some thought and make a mental stamp of the possibility of this happening and just make sure it doesn’t - (Unless you have Citi) :P Even then, I'm skeptical, just be careful.

Good point there. I recently paid off an Applied Card Bank card, and lo and behold, a few days, later, there was a "finance charge" of $9! I got in touch with them and they waived it, but still, how insidious. In my e-mail, I asked them to explain just what the finance charge was ON, since there was no balance upon which to assess it. It was explained as a "residual' and waived. But Sultan makes a good point--what if I hadn't checked?

Good point there. I recently paid off an Applied Card Bank card, and lo and behold, a few days, later, there was a "finance charge" of $9! I got in touch with them and they waived it, but still, how insidious. In my e-mail, I asked them to explain just what the finance charge was ON, since there was no balance upon which to assess it. It was explained as a "residual' and waived. But Sultan makes a good point--what if I hadn't checked?

'Euterpe Thelo'; You obviously see what I'm saying here be it a dollar or a dime it could have very bad repercussions.

That PG thing seriously tripped us out, - seven ways of Sunday, I/WE cancelled and they still billed.

A fluke like this could of potentially caused serious havoc.

I feel bad for people who have never considered this type of BS and inadvertently sustain problems caused from a similar fluke. :rofl:

Edited by Sultan

The best way to sign for for autorenewing things is with a one use number or one that expires before the autorenewal date.

My only worry with one autorenewal is that it goes to a cap1 card i might either cancel or combine with another and i've heard cap1 will reopen closed cards if they are used. The autorenewal is with a company that doesn't give online management of the card used so i can't change it to one that expires before the renewal date. :(

The best way to sign for for autorenewing things is with a one use number or one that expires before the autorenewal date.

My only worry with one autorenewal is that it goes to a cap1 card i might either cancel or combine with another and i've heard cap1 will reopen closed cards if they are used. The autorenewal is with a company that doesn't give online management of the card used so i can't change it to one that expires before the renewal date. :(

To be honest I'm not sure how others can accomplish what you're saying (granted this is the best policy) but as far as I know unless others can educate the masses, Citi is the only CC I know that issues a temp one use number for purchases. ?

I'd personally highyly appreciate it if others have a solution or suggestion.

ETA: I've read on these boards of others using a Citi one time number for online purchases, etc... :(:dntknw::dntknw:

It's a good idea if you have online statements only to set up an alert so that they send you an e-mail when your statement is available so that would reduce the guesswork. Another handy thing is to have a tool like Microsoft Money or Quicken.

As for the CITI one time use numbers, I have a CITI card but I never found this feature on the site. Do I have to call to get them enabled? They seem like a very useful tool to have.

Hey I just wanted to offer a heads up, I have a Chase card (My lowest limit card, but 0% APR til Dec '06) that I've been using to pay certain utilities and what not, I signed DW up for the Privacy Source Trial a couple of mo. ago (And cancelled with in the first 10 DAYS) and low and behold they put a $99.00 charge on the card which almost put the card over the limit.

I check these accounts religiously, but what worries my about having so many active accounts - at least 10 we'll say. What if one of these turkeys decides to auto pay or renew some garbage credit monitoring or what ever - as an example.

This type of thing could easily ruin my credit, or anyone else’s not knowing any better.

A hypothesis;

You singed up for Experian national score index credit monitoring, you paid the money and assumed or figured it was a done deal, a year later they have a card number on file - just so happens that this card becomes over the limit as a result, or worse the card has been paid in full and you've sock drawered it and have opted for the online statements, no snail mail alert and maybe even no email alert if you've switched or something, now you have a balance that you are completely unaware of, and in time you might find out in a way you wish you wouldn’t of.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience about this?

This whole concept and idea of this happening to an unsuspecting card holder is slightly scary.

Give this some thought and make a mental stamp of the possibility of this happening and just make sure it doesn’t - (Unless you have Citi) :blink: Even then, I'm skeptical, just be careful.

PG did this to me and Trilegent also tried to charge me for other services of theirs. :lol:

It's a good idea if you have online statements only to set up an alert so that they send you an e-mail when your statement is available so that would reduce the guesswork. Another handy thing is to have a tool like Microsoft Money or Quicken.

As for the CITI one time use numbers, I have a CITI card but I never found this feature on the site. Do I have to call to get them enabled? They seem like a very useful tool to have.

When you log in look at the top for virtual account numbers

This wouldn't happen to me. I check every one of my 26 accounts at least every other day, and am nowhere near 10% utilization on any card.

As an added layer of protection, I only use Citi virtual numbers for these types of things. Been there done that with MLBTV.

Download the VAN software from Citi's site. The major advantage in using the VAN software is that once you generate a virtual number it will automatically fill in the web payment form.

Download the VAN software from Citi's site. The major advantage in using the VAN software is that once you generate a virtual number it will automatically fill in the web payment form.

Hey Shawnee, Thx for chiming in on this! - Good deal!

Citi seems to have the edge on this gig - no? Why doesn't any other bank or CC offer this service like travelers checks except for those of us who travel in cyberspace?

Seriously, why hasn't anyone thought of this before? there has to be a way for them to make a merchant fee and not incur a fee for the consumer.

Something for to think about any way.

Edited by Sultan

ETA: I've read on these boards of others using a Citi one time number for online purchases, etc... :wave::good::P

discover and mbna offer it for sure - i thought BOA does too.

Hey Shawnee, Thx for chiming in on this! - Good deal!

Citi seems to have the edge on this gig - no? Why doesn't any other bank or CC offer this service like travelers checks except for those of us who travel in cyberspace?

Seriously, why hasn't anyone thought of this before? there has to be a way for them to make a merchant fee and not incur a fee for the consumer.

Something for to think about any way.

That's a good question. I've heard that MBNA has something similar, but other than that I don't know of any other companies that do.

Virtual account numbers would be even more beneficial to those who have to use debit cards. Sure, most debit cards now carry zero liability, but that doesn't cover you if checks or ACH payments hit your account while the funds are missing.

This wouldn't happen to me. I check every one of my 26 accounts at least every other day, and am nowhere near 10% utilization on any card.

As an added layer of protection, I only use Citi virtual numbers for these types of things. Been there done that with MLBTV.

:lol:

Hey, as far as accounts you've got me beat hands down, what about vacation time though? - seriously with all due respect my friend isn't that why we strive so hard to be viewed as financially responsible by the numbers? so we can go after what we want and not be a slave to it? Just thinking out loud.

Nothing wrong in my book with being excessively responsible - don't get me wrong, just being devils advocate.

*Edit* so I could throw up the :offtopic:

;)

Edited by Sultan

Hmm I just logged in and I see it now. This is the first time I saw it because it looks like an ad. I'll download that software it seems like the best option. Thanks.

Hey, as far as accounts you've got me beat hands down, what about vacation time though? - seriously with all due respect my friend isn't that why we strive so hard to be viewed as financially responsible by the numbers? so we can go after what we want and not be a slave to it? Just thinking out loud.

Nothing wrong in my book with being excessively responsible - don't get me wrong, just being devils advocate.

;)

It's not hard to do once you get into a routine. Some days I'll check all 26, takes me less than ten minutes. I don't have to log in 26 separate times, I have multiple accounts with some who show account summaries:

AMEX x 8

Citi X 4

Bof x 2

You ought to ask some of the hardcore CWs how they do it with 50-60 accounts. ;)

;)

Actually more than anything, I was thinking about those who may unfortunately be hit with Murphy’s law and have something slip through the cracks - because of something completely unexpected, - something not in the plans.

I check all of my accounts regularly and I even once had a dream I slipped on a payment, (I woke up with a sinking feeling) - this was actually shortly after the hundred dollar auto bill, I'm thinking the temporary number is a better fail-safe then staying on top of it relentlessly?

Opinion Shawnee?

(NM - you answered above, I'm trying to have multiple conversations at once, DS is pissed off at me now) lol - UG ! a good credit discussion takes concentration. ;)

Edited by Sultan

Actually more than anything, I was thinking about those who may unfortunately be hit with Murphy’s law and have something slip through the cracks - because of something completely unexpected, - something not in the plans.

I check all of my accounts regularly and I even once had a dream I slipped on a payment, (I woke up with a sinking feeling) - this was actually shortly after the hundred dollar auto bill, I'm thinking the temporary number is a better fail-safe then staying on top of it relentlessly?

I'd like to publicly ask you're opinion.

Having this many accounts is certainly not for everyone. Heck, I've seen some with only four or five accounts miss a payment.

I border on being obsessive with my accounts, not only credit cards but bank accounts and utility bills. For my credit cards, I have alerts set up to notify me when the statement has cut and I immediately make a payment. I stay one month ahead in funds so I never have to wait until the last few days before the due date to make the payment.

OMG lol, you're going to keep quoting me and my posts have changed becuase I keep editing and you are quicker on the draw, I'm lagging behind.

Don't mind me buddy. I'm just looking to get my Util lower so I can get a Citi CARD! Damnit!

lol

Hey I had a 799 Fico on EQ when I left CFIC and joined CB over a year ago, I'm no slouch :swoon:

I check all cards every week. I was hit with this piece of work

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16110787

Note that also this happens to cards that have been never used and sock drawered - so don't assume they are safe because you've never used a card.

I will always and forever check at least once a week now. I have a spreadsheet with all my accounts and I enter the last day I check that account in there. It takes no more than 10-20 minutes.

I'd like to publicly ask you're opinion.

Having this many accounts is certainly not for everyone. Heck, I've seen some with only four or five accounts miss a payment.

I border on being obsessive with my accounts, not only credit cards but bank accounts and utility bills. For my credit cards, I have alerts set up to notify me when the statement has cut and I immediately make a payment. I stay one month ahead in funds so I never have to wait until the last few days before the due date to make the payment.

Excellent and well spoken.

I realize we're all different, some file bills in order and some file them under the bed and wait for a disconnect notice indeed.

I still think the auto bill is very dangerous for those who live with in a minor margin of their means, - I mean If I had 20K to float in my bank account (actually that much would be invested but you know what I mean)

My credit monitoring service (PG) renews annually,

but last year they were decent enough to warn me

the renewal would happen, and even reminded me

that I could cancel. (Perhaps they needed to improve

their image?)

I do not have a good system for tracking renewing

fees, especially a year in advance. So I try to put

these on my Amex Green card. I always check this,

since DW carries it for a reserve, plus there is no

over-limit penalty. Years ago, I was not so smart.

My old monitoring service posted charges annually,

gave no notice, and seemed to pick the day that my

card account closed for the month. (So, I had already

paid ... and in those days, I paid just enough to stay

ten dollars under the limit.) Just about the time I was

wondering if they renewed in July or August, and was

hunting down the paperwork to cancel, the new credit

card bill would come. Yep, $60 monitoring charge,

$39 overlimit charge, and a interest rate increase.

The next summer, it happened again. I had just found

the paperwork to cancel, oops, my bad. Fool me twice,

shame on me. I picked up the phone and cancelled on

the spot. (Even that took some argument, and I did not

get a credit.) Education is sometimes expensive.

I still do see an annual fee on some of my cards. And

I still do not track that process too well. Low utilization

is the best defense, if you have the money. (Hah! If I

had the money, I would not be here!) Those few cards

that are still near the max get my close attention.

Another trap for those near the max: Interest charges

get billed on the monthly closing date. Not the date that

payment was due. Some companies delay that closing

date for quite awhile. And if you call the automated line

to see your "available credit," it treats your interest charge

as "available." (Not as a "pending charge," not even like

the reservation that motels put on your card.)

That one caught me, when I was new to credit trouble.

I thought that available meant you could spend it. But

it really meant that somebody had smeared honey on

the old over-limit trap.

Third trap for the newbies: If you get a credit line decrease,

you probably will be notified by US Mail. Meanwhile, your

limit already dropped, so all of the above can happen before

you know it. Even the phone system can be a day behind.

DW wonders why I can't just read my bills once a month,

like normal people. Seems way too risky to me.

ER

OMG lol, you're going to keep quoting me and my posts have changed becuase I keep editing and you are quicker on the draw, I'm lagging behind.

Don't mind me buddy. I'm just looking to get my Util lower so I can get a Citi CARD! Damnit!

lol

Hey I had a 799 Fico on EQ when I left CFIC and joined CB over a year ago, I'm no slouch :blink:

Citi doesn't like high utilization or a lot of recent inquiries. I went through this until I finally managed to get the Dividend card.

lol

Hey I had a 799 Fico on EQ when I left CFIC and joined CB over a year ago, I'm no slouch :lol:

Citi doesn't like high utilization or a lot of recent inquiries. I went through this until I finally managed to get the Dividend card.

I have 3 inquiries to my name at this point, but my util is keeping me in check, like PSP says the lesson-

If I had 200K instead of close to 100k I may indeed be in better shape but where would it stop and how deep would I dig the whole? (not to deep for the sake of hope)

OK Citi turned my down for a fraud alert - if you can imagine! I would have had 20K more from them utilizing the CB knowledge I had at the time I applied.

OK we've taken this through a process, and I still cannot stand AUTO BILLING! :blink: I even edited my Equifax CC onfile info, - BECAUSE I didn't feel like jumping through hoops or retention to cancel my credit watch gold.

As soon as American Express or Visa offers a cyber-travelers check I'll be their first customer.

Edited by Sultan

The last post in this topic was posted 5141 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.