Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

What little steps do you do/take to save money?

The last post in this topic was posted 5090 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Im interested in little things you do to save money here and there. Like shopping at the dollar store for cleaning stuff, etc. They may not be any big deal alone but if we can all use several little steps to save money, then they can add up to some bigger savings.

Let's see:

1. Stopped watering/sprinkler system every 3 days - now water 1x per week. We live in Phoenix, it's 101 outside already, but, our grass in the backyard & citrus need watered.

2. Turned the pool pump & vacuum to only run between 10:30pm and 4:30 pm - even during the summer. Just means we need to get the scrubbrush out more, but physical labor never hurt anyone.

3. Live in the dark - seriously. We rarely use the kitchen & table lamps/lights. If we do, they get turned off as soon as we leave the room.

4. I re-use fabric softener sheets. I can get at least 2 drying loads out of one. But, then I keep them after running them 2x's, when I have 2 or 3 that I've used twice - I'll put them all together and run them in a load.

5. Use the swamp cooler instead of the AC. This is the first year we are doing this. The few times it started up in the beginning, I hated it, and never felt cool. But, now that we've been using it about 30 days, I'm use to it. I'll see in June how much $$ we saved, it will be our first month with just the swamp cooler. (normally I'd have the AC on already)

6. This is probably going to be considered gross - but, we have 2 dogs. One is a Siberian Husky who sheds every day, 365 days a year. So, I go through vacuum bags like crazy. I empty out my vacuum bag into a trash bag and re-use them. I just add some baking soda and then spritz the bag with Fabreeze.

7. Speaking of Fabreeze - buy a bottle, then pour 1/2 of the bottle into an empty container. Add about 1/3 water - just to water it down. I also do the same thing with liquid potpourri. Water it down.

8. Our Albertson's has a ton of 10 for $10 sales. When I see them coming up, I will buy things in bulk - namely cereal, jello, 1/2 gallons of milk, butter, ketchup, bbq (grill seasonings).

9. I cook on the grill ALL the time. I dont think I've used my stove or oven since January. Cuts way down on electric. Thermostat is set to 78 right now with the swamp cooler - but using the AC it's set to 80 or 82 degrees. I just wrap a blanket around me if I get chilly!

10. We love coffee. (not starbucks mud, yuck). I insist on having a "freshly brewed" first cup of coffee that - that's my wake up. However, if there's coffee still in the pot from the previous morning, my husband pours it into a cup, then, after I get my first "fresh cup", I will re-heat the old, pour it into the newly made coffee, and doesn't bother me. *laugh*

I'm sure there's a lot more stuff we do - but these were off the top of my head. Whether-or-not they are money-savers, I can only guess!

KH

- shop at crash & dent stores for lots of grocery deals

- homemade laundry detergent (grated bar soap, borax, and washing soda)

- homemade fabric softener (diluted downy, spray on a washcloth, use as a dryer sheet)

- vent dryer into the house in the winter

COUPONS, COUPONS, COUPONS

I cannot say enough about the free money in the Sunday's paper. People don't pay attention. It just like throwing $.25, $.50, & and $1.00 in the garbage.

My friend always says.... I don't have time to clip coupons and I reply.... I have more time than I have money.

COUPONS, COUPONS, COUPONS

I do track my savings....and show them to non-believers. We now have a Coupon Exchange...I have started a mini-coupon cult at work.

I just finished going through a money management class and it made me see how much money we were throwing away ...

1. stopped eating out as much. We spend way too much eating out. Who really "needs" the appetiser, meal, *and* dessert??

2. sold a car that is only used for commuting approximately 6 miles each way (and had a $375/mo payment) and bought a $500 used car. It runs great!

3. switched from SBC (at 80.00 a month for phones we never used) to Vonage for 27.00 a month that includes unlimited long distance

4. contacted the electric company and had them switch us to "averaged" bills (so we pay the same amount every month). It reduces the sticker shock of the summer months, and helps me budget the right amount every month.

5. reduced cable package - (we had a 130. cable bill for channels that we hardly ever watched. We dont even miss them now that they're gone)

6. We got a loan from a family member for $5000. at 5% to pay off all of our credit card debt (at between 13 and 25%). We put a payment every month into an ING account so they earn extra interest on the money we're paying them back.

It's a start - but it freed up over $500 a month!! Not having that car payment is HUGE!

It's a start - but it freed up over $500 a month!! Not having that car payment is HUGE!

I simply DETEST car payments. I've spent over half of my adult life without one. I'll drive a car into the ground until it's virtually worthless before I'll buy another car on credit.

Let's see:

1. Stopped watering/sprinkler system every 3 days - now water 1x per week. We live in Phoenix, it's 101 outside already, but, our grass in the backyard & citrus need watered.

2. Turned the pool pump & vacuum to only run between 10:30pm and 4:30 pm - even during the summer. Just means we need to get the scrubbrush out more, but physical labor never hurt anyone.

3. Live in the dark - seriously. We rarely use the kitchen & table lamps/lights. If we do, they get turned off as soon as we leave the room.

4. I re-use fabric softener sheets. I can get at least 2 drying loads out of one. But, then I keep them after running them 2x's, when I have 2 or 3 that I've used twice - I'll put them all together and run them in a load.

5. Use the swamp cooler instead of the AC. This is the first year we are doing this. The few times it started up in the beginning, I hated it, and never felt cool. But, now that we've been using it about 30 days, I'm use to it. I'll see in June how much $$ we saved, it will be our first month with just the swamp cooler. (normally I'd have the AC on already)

6. This is probably going to be considered gross - but, we have 2 dogs. One is a Siberian Husky who sheds every day, 365 days a year. So, I go through vacuum bags like crazy. I empty out my vacuum bag into a trash bag and re-use them. I just add some baking soda and then spritz the bag with Fabreeze.

7. Speaking of Fabreeze - buy a bottle, then pour 1/2 of the bottle into an empty container. Add about 1/3 water - just to water it down. I also do the same thing with liquid potpourri. Water it down.

8. Our Albertson's has a ton of 10 for $10 sales. When I see them coming up, I will buy things in bulk - namely cereal, jello, 1/2 gallons of milk, butter, ketchup, bbq (grill seasonings).

9. I cook on the grill ALL the time. I dont think I've used my stove or oven since January. Cuts way down on electric. Thermostat is set to 78 right now with the swamp cooler - but using the AC it's set to 80 or 82 degrees. I just wrap a blanket around me if I get chilly!

10. We love coffee. (not starbucks mud, yuck). I insist on having a "freshly brewed" first cup of coffee that - that's my wake up. However, if there's coffee still in the pot from the previous morning, my husband pours it into a cup, then, after I get my first "fresh cup", I will re-heat the old, pour it into the newly made coffee, and doesn't bother me. *laugh*

I'm sure there's a lot more stuff we do - but these were off the top of my head. Whether-or-not they are money-savers, I can only guess!

KH

Just moved here to Chandler......dont have a swamp cooler........wondering if they actually work>>>??

Work outside in this heat ALL day.....kinda getting used to it a little......except for my contacts!!!!!!!! Damn sand storms

#1 My own car maintenance. Friends kid me about this, but it adds up over time. Oil changes for example, I could get it done for something like $15 at walmart, or I can do it myself for maybe $10. It's a small amount of money for 20 minutes of my time, but like someone else wrote I have more time than money.

#2 I have just discovered bulk dried beans. I don't know why I never did this before. My pantry is now stocked with like 10+ different kinds of beans. There are a whole world of things to cook, and I have brought my food budget down yet again - just when I feared it was no longer possible.

#3 Review fixed expenses. Like insurance - I decided to drop some of the "optional" coverages (like comprehensive for our older car and also roadside assistance). Savings is only a little each month, but everything counts right?

And nods to the idea bout grilling all the time. I have been doing that for the last year or so - propane is way cheaper than the alternative and the food is great.

Ditto on the grilling. We have always enjoyed grilled veggies, so the only things we really ever cook inside is rice, pasta, and bread.

Ditto on the car maintenance. Not only do you save money, but you also know the work is done and done right. You can also find many deals to get oil for very little or free. The last oil changes I did on our 2 vehicles only cost us the couple of bucks for a filter, because I had FAR deals on the oil.

If you buy the same things all the time (as most do), try to stockpile when things are on sale. Maybe even make yourself a spreadsheet or write down the retail and sale prices of those items you buy most, so you know when a sale is really good. Also, make use of coupons. It's a no-brainer, but so many people don't "fool with them".

Let's see:

KH

Just moved here to Chandler......dont have a swamp cooler........wondering if they actually work>>>??

Work outside in this heat ALL day.....kinda getting used to it a little......except for my contacts!!!!!!!! Damn sand storms

OceanLakes....

Gads! Do they work! It's 5:16am, and I'm sitting here with a blanket wrapped around me because I'm FREEZING!

We've noticed two "downsides" with the Swamp cooler at this point (it's been running about 30 days right now). We are over in Glendale, our house was built in 78, and our AC unit is probably about 10-12 years old - so it's not as energy efficient as ones that are put in recently or in new homes. (getting this info from DH as I'm typing...)

1. Doors are swelling - because of any humidity in the air. So, once it starts to get into monsoon season, you do have to shut them off. I'm not happy with that, it's leaving marks in the door frames.

2. Maintenance you need to watch - dust storms are playing havoc on the filter, and you need to watch for calcium buildup depending on your water. DH just said that you can't use cheap filters either.

BUT - the upside more than pays for the downside. Let's see..... Our SRP bills usually run right around 125 at this time of year.. the last 2 bills we had were 89 and 79. From mid-May through mid-September our electric bills are around 250. (yeah, I know that's high, last year we had my oldest son living at the house, and my laundry & water bill shot up like you wouldn't believe - he added 3 loads of washer/dryer time weekly! I miss not having a clothesline for outside - too damn dusty here)

I thought Florida heat was bad.. *LOL*.. but it's a killer out here. I'm so glad we have the pool - being able to jump in in the middle of the day is a life saver!

KH

OK, two questions.

what kinds of things can you make with bulk dried beans besides soup?

what is a swamp cooler? ( was raised in MN...no need to cool anything up there)

I think typically the area most people can attack is food.

Lots of ways to improve there, and most have already been mentioned. However, one thing I'm trying, and struggling with is just eating less in regards to portions. If you eat 4-6 oz of meat, more than likely you will end up with double amount of food for leftovers. We found out we typically ate double that...

Buy fresh, and do more things from scratch. It's more time consuming, but better for you and much cheaper. My goal is to cut our grocery budget from $400 a month to $200. It can be done with the right amount coupons and purchasing decisions.

When you eat out, split an entree or appetizers.

Fool.com has a Living Below Your Means board that use to be great, but I think you now how have to pay to read it. It might have driven away some people. Fatwallet is good for ideas also.

Edited by lacala

Spaghetti

Netflix instead of cable

Indoor beer rather than that fancy BAR beer :o

DH travels an hour to work, his van was eating up his paychecks--now my more gas economical car is his and I take the bus :swoon:

Cloth diapers

Cloth wipes

Cloth toilet paper

Cloth tissues

Cloth kitchen wipes (aka paper towels)

Cloth napkins

No paper plates or cups.

Actually, I don't buy disposable products.

HUGE savings.

Cloth toilet paper

?? I've never heard of this. I don't think I'm willing to try it.

It's kinda giving me the shivers too. :grin:

ohh, i like the ones about the fabric softener and febreeze....excellent ideas.

I think typically the area most people can attack is food.

Lots of ways to improve there, and most have already been mentioned. However, one thing I'm trying, and struggling with is just eating less in regards to portions. If you eat 4-6 oz of meat, more than likely you will end up with double amount of food for leftovers. We found out we typically ate double that...

Buy fresh, and do more things from scratch. It's more time consuming, but better for you and much cheaper. My goal is to cut our grocery budget from $400 a month to $200. It can be done with the right amount coupons and purchasing decisions.

When you eat out, split an entree or appetizers.

Fool.com has a Living Below Your Means board that use to be great, but I think you now how have to pay to read it. It might have driven away some people. Fatwallet is good for ideas also.

Doesn't it cost more to make fresh food? Plus it takes longer time.

Example: Ramen soups for 3 meals a day x 4 people = $2.00 a day

Whereas to make a fresh dish (say chicken with vegetables and pasta) is going to run like $10-$15 in groceries for one meal. ($4 for chicken, $1 for pasta, $4 in vegetables, $2 in herbs and such).

One good idea - grow your own vegetables/herbs...

Cloth diapers

Cloth wipes

Cloth toilet paper

Cloth tissues

Cloth kitchen wipes (aka paper towels)

Cloth napkins

No paper plates or cups.

Actually, I don't buy disposable products.

HUGE savings.

But you now have to add in the costs of washing all that stuff properly...

Whereas to make a fresh dish (say chicken with vegetables and pasta) is going to run like $10-$15 in groceries for one meal. ($4 for chicken, $1 for pasta, $4 in vegetables, $2 in herbs and such).

Partly you are right, but I think your example here is skewed. I can get the dry ramen soups for about .10 per, so if a family of four ate them for three meals a day, it would be 1.20. The fresh dish you list is a lot more complex than noodles in salted water. Still, I couldn't argue it would be cheaper than the all ramen diet. Healthier maybe. :glare:

Food isn't always the best place to apply the hatchet. So much of your future health depends on what you eat today. Save a couple bucks now on food, spend a couple thousand later on cardiac rehab.

That can be false economy.

Food isn't always the best place to apply the hatchet. So much of your future health depends on what you eat today. Save a couple bucks now on food, spend a couple thousand later on cardiac rehab.

True... that's why I think it is better to spend more money buying higher quality, healthier foods than buying cheap stuff.

I know of families that spend half of what mine spends on groceries each month... except they eat lots of instant/prepared food

1) Like instead of making real pasta and a real sauce they'll get the pasta that comes in the pouch that you just boil for 8 minutes and serve.

2) Instead of getting real eggs (like you have to crack the shell to get the egg out) they get that liquid ez-egg stuff

3) Instead of good organic vegetables... frozen/canned.

Edited by BBQ123

ohh, i like the ones about the fabric softener and febreeze....excellent ideas.

I've been doing that for years, as I don't care about the smell, just the softness. Another thing if I have a small load I cut the sheets. BTW did you know those sheets will sofften hand washables? Just cut a small portion and run your water for final rinse with the sheet in the water and it works. :P

Cloth toilet paper

?? I've never heard of this. I don't think I'm willing to try it.

It's kinda giving me the shivers too. :rolleyes:

:grin:

I tend to agree with ya there, Radi8. That is probably why I don't save as much at the grocery store as i'd like to. I buy a lot of fresh veggies and fruits and foods that usually don't have coupons. I steer clear of the junk food aisle and the prepackaged, preprocessed foods. It is more expensive to buy these types of foods. But the meals you can make are way better and healthier than eating Lean Cuisines or what not every day. And you can actually make the food stretch a lot. Cook up a batch of marinara and freeze it. It freezes well and then you can thaw it out and have homemade spaghetti at the drop of a hat. It tastes better than Ragu and is healthier. :wave:

MSN internet homepage had an article about how to cut the cost of electric bills this summer.

One of them was getting an attic fan to draw the hot air out of the attic. It said that it could save $200-$300 on cooling bills this summer.

Another tip was to shade the outside air conditioning unit.

I asked my bf yesterday if he would build a shade for my A/C unit. It has been sitting out in the sun since I have lived here! I didn't realize the benefits. I am also going to check into the attic fan. The article said that the fan would cost $100 - $400.

The last post in this topic was posted 5090 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.