Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Do you morn when you read that people are killed in foreign wars, storms and floods

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

A friend of mine always cries when she hears about major events that kill thousands of people overseas. Recently she has been affected by the terrible news from Nigeria, Chad and Somolia. Thousands have died from war, explosions, terror attacks and starvation.

I tell her that she should not worry about what goes on in Africa and spend her emotional capital on issues closer to home. Africa and much of the third world will always be a land of killing and disasters. Huge wars have killed millions there since the dawn of time. Death is just part of the human condition. She tells me that that view is an indication of how cold I am to fellow human beings.

Your thoughts about morning the deaths of people you do not know.

I think it is sad, but I don't get all teary eyed.

The Nigerian explosion that killed a few hundred - I saw the pics of that. Hell on earth.

Empathy for others even close to home is lacking. Let alone abroad. Just do a search on serious issues on boards and you will find more than a few who can care less about others.

Do I mourn for others abroad? I pray for others here & abroad alot, then leave it in God's hands. I think you have to be somewhat careful, because the heart can only take so much.

. Africa and much of the third world will always be a land of killing and disasters. Huge wars have killed millions there since the dawn of time. Death is just part of the human condition. She tells me that that view is an indication of how cold I am to fellow human beings.

as if the third world has a monopoly on death from war. get on the clue bus roach.

I don't think I "mourn" but it does affect me in numerous ways......I hurt for those people and often wonder why this has to happen and I am grateful that I live where I do and that these issues are not an every day fact of life for me......I do get teary though when I see the pics of the children that suffer and die. I don't understand it and I don't know why it has to happen.

I think your friend is a very compassionate person, but I dont think that means that you cold because you dont mourn or get emotional.....

Well, I don't get teary over every disaster, but I do very often ponder the state of the world and try to have compassion for those who are suffering. I believe empathy is the key to most goodness in the world. Empathy causes you to look at the big picture and not think only of yourself. It leads to kindness and charity. Afterall, if you don't allow yourself to consider another person's suffering, you will feel no human responsibility to them. You may not donate money or time to those less fortunate here and abroad. You may not help a neighbor going through a rough time. You may not feed the skinny stray cat that comes to your door. You may not even understand or be compassionate with your spouse or family members.

Empathy can also help you be happier by allowing you to see your own good fortune. I'm lucky that I'm living in relative comfort and I know it. I could have been born into poverty. I could have been born in a Third World country. I could have been born in a different time and suffered though the Plague or the Spanish Inquisition or the Civil War or World War II, etc. There but for the grace of God go I.

Anyway, you could drive yourself crazy if you let every piece of tragic news devastate you. However, I think letting yourself think about the world and feel empathy for others can only lead to good things.

But that's just my own opinion.

Edited by DebtGirl

Your thoughts about morning the deaths of people you do not know.

Only if there are free donuts and coffee at the wake.

Sorry, that's policy. :clapping:

I couldn't cry when my great-aunt died. She was closer to me than my own maternal grandmother and just as close as my paternal grandmother. I love my great-aunt very much and have always admired her. It tore me up when she died, but I still couldn't cry.

No I don't cry over every war and disaster (man-made and natural) that happens in which men, women, and children die. I empathize, I fee a bit of sorrow that people lost their loved ones, children orphaned, and the hell they'd live with; however, I do not truly sit in mourning over the tragedies.

Now that's not to say I've never cried. I have, and lately more than I'd like to admit; however, it doesn't come easy, and many times even when I feel like crying I can't..So I really couldn't imagine crying over every single tragedy that ever struck. I'd think I'd never be able to get anything done, because somewhere in this world tragedy is striking all the time. Be it a child that is being abused, a woman raped or murdered, or a mudslide/tsunami/etc. And in my opinion, the smaller tragedies are no less horrifying than the largest natural disaster...Only the amount of people affected change. :P

If Joseph Stalin, one of the most repugnant men in history, got anything right, it was probably this quote that has been attributed to him...

“A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.â€

Edited by playthecreditgame

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.