Sign in to follow this  
ammorgan

How do you keep track of green cards, DV letters, received letters, etc?

How does everybody keep track of what letters they have sent out and to who, what letters they've received and from who, what green cards they've gotten back and which ones they are waiting on?

How does everybody keep track of what letters they have sent out and to who, what letters they've received and from who, what green cards they've gotten back and which ones they are waiting on?

I keep a seperate file folder for each account.

I keep track of all related actions for an account in a Word document. Any time I do something, I log it. If that action includes CMRR, I log the tracking number. I also include future items in the log - if I expect to receive something like a CRA dispute with a deadline, I make an entry 30 days ahead indicating the deadline. If I plan on sending a letter on a certain date (like a second DV), I make an entry with the future date, but list it as "need to send".

I also mark future dates on my calendar so I can keep a heads up.

For keeping track of letters I've sent, I usually print myself a copy and paperclip the mailing receipt. When the letter is delivered, I print the online delivery confirmation and staple the receipt and green card to the the confirmation. Makes it a lot easier to photocopy. I also write the date sent and received on the copy of the letter.

I use a file folder and regard everything I do in Yahoo Notepad.

I've never heard of Yahoo Notepad! I'll have to check into that!

Do you guys keep seperate folders for each company? Or is it like "Green cards" "First DV letter" "Second DV letter"?

Seperate for each account (for me). i.e. if you have a CO, the OC info goes in there. If it goes to a CA, the CA info goes in there. If it's sold to a new CA, new CA info goes in there.

Makes it easier to track where the account has been.

I do the same, but I also have a folder for each CRA for my CR's, and I have another folder for disputes + responses (which I staple together).

Seperate for each account (for me). i.e. if you have a CO, the OC info goes in there. If it goes to a CA, the CA info goes in there. If it's sold to a new CA, new CA info goes in there.

Makes it easier to track where the account has been.

I do the same, but I also have a folder for each CRA for my CR's, and I have another folder for disputes + responses (which I staple together).

Sounds like a good system, btw love the letter to Equifax

I didn't write it. :blink: I can't remember who did, but I laughed out loud for like 15 minutes and just had to put it in my sig.

I didn't write it. :blink: I can't remember who did, but I laughed out loud for like 15 minutes and just had to put it in my sig.

Well if they have one of those scanning systems I don't think that one would pass LOL.

i've been keeping each tradeline in a different file folder. everything regarding that tradeline goes in the folder. i have an excel workbook set up. 1 worksheet for each credit bureau. I log ever date relevant to the situation in that spread sheet for easy reference. For particularly active items, I've started adding reminders to outlook so they pop up the day before I need to do something.

I have a three ring binder. I broke down the binder as followed: one section is for my credit reports, journal (what creditor I spoke to via phone and who called the house), dispute/validations letters along with the recepits of my green cards, settlement letters and articles that relate to credit.

I got one of those 5 Star zippered up 3 ring binders with all of the zippered pockets all over it. Got dividers with pockets to put in there and I have 5 sections.

TU

EQ

EX

DV letters

Random letters

I also bought those plastic ziploc things with the 3 rings so I could put them in the book as well. In each, I keep ALL of the green cards associated with each CRA or CA.

I print out every DV letter I send or make a copy of the handwritten ones and put it in there.

I also have a color coding system using highlighters for ON my CRs. I color coded it by importance. What I wanted to dispute first, what was the most imporant stuff to get off my CRAs first.

Also, in my binders, I keep every report I get (using the dividers to organize them by CRA).

When it came time to start bring in a lawyer, I walked into the attorney's offfice with this binder, took the paperwork out in front of him and he almost started foaming at the mouth at the prospect of all of the cases he could win with the evidence. It was in timeline format, all neatly put together for him.

Said I was the most organized client he'd ever had walk into his office. He took my binder to show the other attorneys in the office. LOL.

Edited by smush24

I have a large manilla folder for each creditor and I keep copies of all correspondence in each folder in chronological order. I have a ton of large folders...

you guys make me feel really really disorganized. I thought I was doing somewhat okay. I've got my stuff in the same folder, but sorted by month. Every letter I send, I print a copy for myself and write the dates sent/received/results expected on them. I've also got a folder on my computer that has the Word docs of all my letters, plus various things I've cut + pasted from my research so it's kind of a quick reference thing. Also, on my hard copies of the letters, I staple the CMRRR things and make notes. I need to get a better filing system it seems, 'cause I'm nowhere NEAR as organized as the rest of you posting in this thread.

I got one of those 5 Star zippered up 3 ring binders with all of the zippered pockets all over it. Got dividers with pockets to put in there and I have 5 sections.

TU

EQ

EX

DV letters

Random letters

I also bought those plastic ziploc things with the 3 rings so I could put them in the book as well. In each, I keep ALL of the green cards associated with each CRA or CA.

I print out every DV letter I send or make a copy of the handwritten ones and put it in there.

I also have a color coding system using highlighters for ON my CRs. I color coded it by importance. What I wanted to dispute first, what was the most imporant stuff to get off my CRAs first.

Also, in my binders, I keep every report I get (using the dividers to organize them by CRA).

When it came time to start bring in a lawyer, I walked into the attorney's offfice with this binder, took the paperwork out in front of him and he almost started foaming at the mouth at the prospect of all of the cases he could win with the evidence. It was in timeline format, all neatly put together for him.

Said I was the most organized client he'd ever had walk into his office. He took my binder to show the other attorneys in the office. LOL.

You're my hero Smush!

TU

EQ

EX

DV letters

Random letters

That ROCKS! I'm going to Wal-Mart (hi, George!) and get me one of those binders today! :P

I have a binder system similar to Smush's, but in addition to that I print or scan every single document, including all CRs, dispute letters, dispute results, dunning letters, DVs, green cards, receipts, etc to PDF. So I have electronic files on EVERYTHING. I use an Excel workbook to log every document and event per TL into a timeline.

With the PDF files, I can print out copies of everything to take to a lawyer in a snap - or send it to them on CD or whatever. Plus I love being able to sort for document types or dates with a click of a mouse. I'm lazy. I'd rather be organized from the start and save time and effort later than have to go digging through notebooks and paper files every time I want something :good:

I am a follower of David Allen's Getting Things Done system( GTD : www.davidco.com), and use this system for my credit disputes as well. For organizing documents, I have a 2-drawer file cabinet. Bottom drawer is for reference (things that have no pending actions or desired outcomes) top drawer is for project support material (a project is something that has a desired outcome and requires more than one action in sequential order).

For my archiving needs, I print out only what needs to be printed out. I do not print out 2 copies of a letter if im only sending one and keeping one for reference. The reference file, instead, gets printed to PDF format (searchable 2-layer) and imported into my DevonThinkPro database. From there I may add a few comments as metadata for searching, but in general I do not need to.

When I want to find a document, I will do a search of my database using, for exampe, "may validation IEI Financial." Not only will the DV letter I sent to IEI Financial in may appear, but I can use the "see also" button to search for possibly related entries. This will pull up a list of all documents sent to IEI Financial, or all documents sent a validation letters in may, or whatever. Awesome searching a classifying capabilities.

As far as reminders, once I send a letter, I record the #s from CM and RRR on a post-it and stick it on the inside cover of a plain file folder for that company/CA. Then I make an entry on my Kinkless GTD program in the "waiting for" folder that I'm waiting for a green card from them. Another waiting for will be response letter with a deadline of 30 days from receipt of green card.

All of this is synced with iCal (im a mac user) and further synced through Missing Sync to my Treo 650. That way, if Im at work, all i have to do is browse my todo lists to get a big picture of where Im at in my process.

This system is not perfect for everyone, but if you are unusually paranoid about information tracking and retrieval, and if you HATE to forget things or be late, its the best around.

If you would like to read up for your self, heres some keywords to google:

GTD, kGTD, DevonThink, and of course: www.43folders.com

I have the accordian ( spelling) and I staple everything together and file..

Some great ideas and hints on the organizing - Still a "noob" here, but I figured out after day 2 of reading the boards - I had to seriously get a binder, section dividers, neon sticky notes, and highlighters. Swear to Pete - folks that can succeed at this should seriously be given a college credit. B) I don't think I had this much "gear" or attention to detail even when writing within MLA/APA style for classes.... LOL

I have one of those small plastic locking file cabinets (you can get from Office Depot for $10) with 5 hanging file folders (the ones with sides).

In one, I keep all hard copies of my credit reports, segregated by CRA and ordered from newest to oldest. Also keep ANY responses from CRAs in this folder (sometimes they dont' send a CR)

In another, I keep all DH's hard copies of his reports, segregated by CRA and ordered from newest to oldest. Again, also keep any responses from CRAs in this folder

In another, I keep copies of all responses I receive from CAs, OCs, AGs, BBBs, etc....anyone who isn't a CRA.

In another, keep my CM tickets & green cards. I also keep copies of all the letters I send out in this folder.

In the last one, I keep my supplies - a stack of CM tickets to use, a stack of RRR cards to use, pre-printed CRA labels, pre-printed return address labels for myself & DH, envelopes, etc...

THEN....I also have a special folder on my computer where I keep soft copies of all my letters. I also have a special "Dispute" spreadsheet where I have a worksheet for each company who is reporting negs on my account, a record of all correspondance - who sent it, when it was received, logged tracking numbers, what the deadline was for their response, notes on the accounts, etc... Whenever an account gets COMPLETELY deleted from all reports, I hightlight it and move the worksheet to the back, and mark - CLOSED.

I have a separate spreadsheet for my CRA disputes....log the tracking numbers, when I sent it, when they received it, what their deadline is, what I disputed, and what their response was (verified, deleted, etc...along with reporting log numbers on the CR)

Edited to add: I also have another special folder where I keep sample letter templates so they can be easily referenced.

Also forgot to add, I have a special folder on my internet explorer where bookmark caselaw, Federal & State laws, websites (such as CB and WhyChats site) and other relevant information

Edited by LadyRelm2

I kept a folder for each account. One for each CRA as well. I put the certified mail number within the re line of each letter. I copied every letter and its attachments and filed it into the appropriate file folder. When the green cards arrived I stapled them to the top of the letter. On the front of the file folder I stapled a few pieces of legal paper and logged the date and action.

I kept a folder of sample letters I found online and printed. I also kept a research folder with applicable laws and suggestions.

I kept all of the folders in a gusset along with a legal notepad which listed my goals. I crossed off goals as I reached them and added new ones. I also logged my FICO scores there every few months.

Edited by Amberelise

Folders for each account and monthly credit reports. In/Out sheet for letters sent with date sent, reply received (if any) and follow up letters, place to mark resolution.

I also have a file where I keep all my USPS receipts (in case I need them). I keep a mileage log for trips to the post office.

I print out each letter I send (computers are only so reliable). I attach the certified part on each letter and then when I get the green card I attach that, too. ALL correspondence from each creditor is kept together. I am usually not organized, but this is priority number one.

The pencil holder things (that zip up and have holes in them already) are great for keepiing the CM cards & receipts in too - either that or staple them to a piece of paper that will be flat in the binder helps.