Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice

The last post in this topic was posted 5353 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am going to be sending my final payment to a creditor that has a judgment against me. I have email correspondence but I am wondering what to ask for in writing before I send my final payment to ensure this judgment goes away and is off my credit reports. Do I ask for satisfied or vacated? I am not lawfully intelligent so I have no idea what to do to keep myself from being screwed. Anyone have any feedback? I am not sending final payment until I get something in writing by them.

I am going to be sending my final payment to a creditor that has a judgment against me. I have email correspondence but I am wondering what to ask for in writing before I send my final payment to ensure this judgment goes away and is off my credit reports. Do I ask for satisfied or vacated? I am not lawfully intelligent so I have no idea what to do to keep myself from being screwed. Anyone have any feedback? I am not sending final payment until I get something in writing by them.

You have to file a motion for it to be vacated. At this point, they probably wont be too helpful since youve almost paid it all. Be sure to get a warrant of satisfaction after the last payment. Once you get that you can file a motion for it to be vacated. A notice will be sent to whoever you paid the judgement to requiring them to respond and fight it, or whatever....most likely since youve already paid it they will not waste time on it. Since they will most likely be a no show when the court date comes, the judge will probably grant you the vacated status. Be sure not to file or mention the warrant of satisfaction to the courts though as this would most likely lead to it being listed as satisfied rather than vacated.

I would think you would want it vacated. Vacated means it doesn't exist. Satisfied means it does, but was paid and will remain on your reports. You probably should have negotiated this long before now. You may have a difficult time in getting them to agree at this point. Good luck.

This judgment was entered in the Maryland Court system in 1999. I currently live in NC and have for 6 years now. I will have to go to the court that originally issued the judgment to have it vacated, right?

This judgment was entered in the Maryland Court system in 1999. I currently live in NC and have for 6 years now. I will have to go to the court that originally issued the judgment to have it vacated, right?

Like i said, make sure you get the warrant of satisfaction from who your paying the judgement to...not the court. If all else fails, you still have proof you satisfied it. Yes, you have to go to the original court to file for it to be vacated. However, most courts have time limits on these kinds of things. If it was filed in 1999 it may be a little too late. But its still worth a try. Also, some states mandate that whoever is awarded the judgement file the warrant of satisfaction with the courts once the judgment is satisfied(if this is the case for you...they may file it and it will be harder for you to vacate)...other states say its the person who the judgement was against that has to file it (dont file it if you are trying to get it vacated). Its better to have it vacated than listed as satisfied. Let me ask you this though, is it showing on all your credit reports? And if so...have you tried disputing it? And on top of all that if its on your CR...when does it say its scheduled to fall off? If its very soon or has happened already...i wouldnt worry too much about it. Just get the warrant of satisfaction.

It is on all 3 credit reports and is due to fall of in September of this year. I am not going house hunting until January, so it will be off my reports by then.

The last post in this topic was posted 5353 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.