Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

HELP! We need a cheap homeowner's insurance policy

The last post in this topic was posted 5249 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

We *just* found out that what we had been quoted for HOI is not accurate because of the BK. The new qoutes put us OVER our debt to income ratios and we may not get the loan because of it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap and fast homeowner's insurance?

We in in FL if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

We *just* found out that what we had been quoted for HOI is not accurate because of the BK. The new qoutes put us OVER our debt to income ratios and we may not get the loan because of it.

Thanks!!

Try a local broker first........explain the situation and let them work for you so you don't get a lot of credit pulls.

Thanks!!

Try a local broker first........explain the situation and let them work for you so you don't get a lot of credit pulls.

I am surprised the bk came into quesiton--i just got an hoi quote with no problems from the bk---allstate in ga. this was after they pulled a soft to get ins. score.

Thanks!!

I am surprised the bk came into quesiton--i just got an hoi quote with no problems from the bk---allstate in ga. this was after they pulled a soft to get ins. score.

This is because you are in GA, FL residents are finding it more difficult to find reasonable HOI becase of the past hurricanes. Citizens is available but not reccomended and make sure that if you speak with Allstate etc. that you ask them specifically if they are quoting you through Citizens...as a lot of them will do this and not disclose it until its too late to switch. I was quoted through Allstate yesterday @ $3,200 /year for HOI. Check Farm Bureau Insurance...they may be the best you can do in florida right now. I'm waiting for them to call me back with a quote at this time. Other then that try calling around to the "Local" insurance companies...not the State Farms..Allstates etc. and make sure you settle for Citizens as a very last resort because that what they are....last ditch effort because they WILL insure you but at a high cost.

Hope this helps!

Not sure if you could qualify but USAA was exactly 1/2 of what we were quoted elsewhere. With our dog we didn't have many options, USAA didn't have a dog clause.

Good luck~

Not sure if you could qualify but USAA was exactly 1/2 of what we were quoted elsewhere. With our dog we didn't have many options, USAA didn't have a dog clause.

Good luck~

Agreed, USAA is about the best out there if you can get it.

I don't think we qualify for USAA, we have absolutely NO military connections.

We got a quote from Allstate for St. Johns (?), much better than Citizens (quoted from a broker).

$1400 compared to $2350.

We're hoping for closer to $1200 but I think $1400 may work.

We have a local broker checking into some other options.

StateFarm originally quoted me $1000 but then 3 weeks later they quoted $1700 and had no recollection of the original quote (and I didn't get it in writing). If we switch to Allstate it will be for both cars and some extra health insurance we currently carry. I know we're high risk because of the BK but StateFarm doesn't give anything for loyalty...we've been with them for years, no claims, and it looks like we'll be leaving them completely soon.

Thanks for all the help!

Good luck~

I have Farm Bureau right now and USAA can't beat them. I would love to have all my insurance with USAA though. No one else comes close to those two for me.

Good luck~

A Dog Clause?

HOI rates can be affected by having a dog?

Good luck~

A Dog Clause?

HOI rates can be affected by having a dog?

Sure can....Having a dog is a liability for an insurance company....someone comes near your house and your dog attacks them and they sue you your homeowners would be responsible for that. Some insurance companies will even charge you more than other dog owners if for instance your dog is a pit bull since its considered a "aggressive" dog by nature.

Edited by sammydeek

we're post BK and off to find HOI in the next two weeks. i had no idea it could be such a potential issue. we're in NC. here's hoping its not as bad as FL.

any NC suggestions?

And on a sidebar: is it me or isn't the point of insurance to "pay out" at some point? I'm with Chris Rock. If nothing happens I want my money back because insurance companies are QUICK to penalize folks when an abhorrent pay out happens. I feel so bad for the FL, LA and MS folks.

I had this same problem when I closed in December. The loan went right through but I got a quote from GA Farm Bureau(who insured my 05 Ram) and they wouldn't cover my home b'cause of my 4 year old BK. I tried a local broker and they quoted me over $800 for one year. I called Allstate and the agent told me it was based on my "credit score" and the BK didn't matter. They beat FB by $20! They wrote the policy for $370/year on my $140,000 home and when I changed the ins on my Ram to them they beat FB on that and sent me a check for $41 'cause they gave me a discount on my HOI for putting my truck on with them.

ETA my HOA costs $330 per year in the ATL area

Edited by Ben67

I live in FL and I just got HOI through Horace Mann. $645.00 . You have to be a teacher or work in a school.

They also have great rates on car insurance.

The last post in this topic was posted 5249 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.