Amex One Revolving Suspended

The last post in this topic was posted 5495 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

WTF????? I was approved and received my Amex One in October/2005. I had charged about $1,300 on it, nothing crazy and since then been making all my payments on time and paying $200-$400 a month (way over the minimum). All of a sudden, I got a letter saying the revolving feature has been suspended indefiniately and this is now a Pay In Full acct. I also have to call when getting ready to make a purchase of even $30. This is BS!!! Anyone have the same problem or could shed some light on this?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF????? I was approved and received my Amex One in October/2005. I had charged about $1,300 on it, nothing crazy and since then been making all my payments on time and paying $200-$400 a month (way over the minimum). All of a sudden, I got a letter saying the revolving feature has been suspended indefiniately and this is now a Pay In Full acct. I also have to call when getting ready to make a purchase of even $30. This is BS!!! Anyone have the same problem or could shed some light on this?

Sounds like it's worth a call to find out the real meaning. What's the current balance on the card?

They did it to me last month on 3 cards; one of them I activated then got declined the same day then I was told that I am going to letter to say all 3 will be closed.

Last week, they reactivated and kept calling me on ID and said "Happy to have u as a customer"

Ya know if I have to worry about this account like that. I don't think I need it. I am not a pif kind of person. I make regular payments. I do though make more than min on them though. So, I don't know if that helps. This is just to crazy for me.

I agree. I don't PIF often, either. My blue was reduced due to overall utilization I guess they thought was too high, so I just put it up until I pay it down. They didn't touch my other card. :blink:

Nothing changed. Largest charge was $610.00 I did call and they said it is my EXP info. Nothing has changed since I applied, except for 2 new TL's that brought my score up. They said they feel comfortable keeping the revolving portion open with scores of 650-700. Then when speaking with the exec.office they said to be a good AMEX customer, they look for 700's and above. Then why approve me in the first place???

I don't think it's all that weird. They're just managing risk. In most of these stories there's some kind of contributing factor. Your scores were borderline to get approved for Amex and then you added some more accounts. Were you PIF with Amex any of those months?

Yuarse, you received 3 Amex in a short time and added quite a few more others. That sends up a red flag. Especially with Amex who are hypervigilant and sometimes do ARs every week.

I wouldn't look at Amex as a place to carry debt. Their APR isn't that good for many people, unless it's a BT only card. Their cards are better used for the rewards and PIF.

I don't think it's all that weird. They're just managing risk. In most of these stories there's some kind of contributing factor. Your scores were borderline to get approved for Amex and then you added some more accounts. Were you PIF with Amex any of those months?

Yuarse, you received 3 Amex in a short time and added quite a few more others. That sends up a red flag. Especially with Amex who are hypervigilant and sometimes do ARs every week.

I wouldn't look at Amex as a place to carry debt. Their APR isn't that good for many people, unless it's a BT only card. Their cards are better used for the rewards and PIF.

I think it's weird the way they manage risk. They give you a revolving feature then abruptly take it away? They approve you for a card and when you activate it, they decline your purchase? If they want you to PIF, then why do they give you the option of carrying a balance.

They think you may not be able to make minumum payments so they ask for PIF :wave: ? There is a logic problem with that. It almost assures default for a lot of people ..

My quote from a previous thread ""

Irresponsible behavior, often perceived as responsible (i.e, "I didn't do anything wrong!") usually leads to CLD (added or account suspension etc). I've had my two stupid Juniper cards for a month and had no problem (then again I havent used them and don't plan on it).... 95% of the time CCCs take adverse actions like CLD or closing accounts, its in response to something the account owner did (yeah yeah flame on). The other 5% could be a fluke and something that can be fixed with a phone call!

Some actions that could lead to CLD:

cash advances

excessive BTs

charging over 50% on a card you just got

making huge payments

lying on your app

cash advances

hitting the 'luv' button like a horny fool

applying for numerous cards in a short period

cash advances

using your hooters card at KFC

cash advances

etc etc

"

"

Interesting, though, that they did this to the Amex One card. Since it was supposed to be a hybrid credit-charge card in the first place, I wonder if they are rethinking their strategy. Rather than CLD or submit people to FR, I suppose it could be Amex's position that they can change the terms to a PIF card at any point.

Will be interesting to see if they do this to other folks. Something tells me that this will be more widespread among ONE cardholders than we might otherwise think.

I don't have ONE...no real interest in it...but it STILL is a rather unknown card.

Interesting, though, that they did this to the Amex One card. Since it was supposed to be a hybrid credit-charge card in the first place, I wonder if they are rethinking their strategy. Rather than CLD or submit people to FR, I suppose it could be Amex's position that they can change the terms to a PIF card at any point.

Will be interesting to see if they do this to other folks. Something tells me that this will be more widespread among ONE cardholders than we might otherwise think.

I don't have ONE...no real interest in it...but it STILL is a rather unknown card.

I've only had mine a month and am now mostly charging on Hhilton Honors now but I paid in full my $850 balance the first month and will continue to pay AMEX in full. I know that at heart AMEX is a charge card company, not a credit card company.

I just don't get it. They are a charge card company, not a credit card company? They give you the option to pay monthly and tell you it is quite all right. But when you do they suspend or reduce or tell you to pay in full.

And how many cc are to many to apply for in their eyes?

Even though they offer credit products, consider that they used to only offer charge cards. It's what they're used to. Many AMEX threads mention that even if they give you a credit card, they like it better if you PIF. As another poster said, there are other companies that offer much better cards for carrying balances on.

wow. So far since I've had my two cards I'vd PIF each of them. And I've made big payments. My One card I put my dental payment on it and paid it off within the month so I'll be PO'd if they decide to do that to me...and I am one of those 'borderline' score people that they approved.

Well this has answered my question about bt's. I was going to charge up half my limit with bt's.I won't be putting anymore on them. I have a very small balance from two bt's and I won't be paying them off in full this month or anytime real soon, maybe 6 months to a year. So I will keep it low for now. If they cancel or whatever than so be it.

Well that SUCKS! Had my first AR on 3/16 and of course my EX score is my lowest- 629. 662 at TU and 655 at EQ. Should go up soon. I have not heard anything yet about my ONE account becoming a PIF account. I will tell them to check out my TU and see if they will give me a break, of that happens. Damn.

The last post in this topic was posted 5495 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.