Sign in to follow this  
bstone

CA licensing in Mass?

Sorry to bother everyone, but after poking around the Mass Sec of State website, I cannot find exact info if collection agencies trying to collect a debt in this state are required to be license.

I ask as Allied Interstate just appeared today on my reports and I am certainly going to DV them, but looking for extra ammo.

Thanks!!

Thanks, Bandit. It seems they are licensed. Grrr. Oh well, I'll just continue with the normal DV. I never got anything in the mail from them and this just appeared on my credit report today.

Thanks again.

Are they Licenced under the name on Your report ? They have a few names , Not sure if it would help You

Bob

Do a search here. I am sure that I remember that WhyChat had a thread about CA reporting in MA. If I remember correctly CAs are not allowed to report on CRs for residents of MA. I may be misremembering but I think that's what the thread said. Good luck.

Do a search here. I am sure that I remember that WhyChat had a thread about CA reporting in MA. If I remember correctly CAs are not allowed to report on CRs for residents of MA. I may be misremembering but I think that's what the thread said. Good luck.

CAs cannot report on CRs for MA residents?

Really?

I am hoping so.

WhyChat, PLEASE chime in on this. I am whipping up the DV letter now.

WhyChat, PLEASE chime in on this. I am whipping up the DV letter now.

Look for the thread. I'm sure it'll be much faster than waiting on anyone. :good:

Here is my DV letter. Suggestions please?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Allied Interstate, Inc

A subsidiary of

IntelliRisk Management Corporation

3000 Corporate Exchange Drive

Columbus, OH 43231

5 March, 2006

Certified Mail No.: xxxxxxxxxxx

Return Receipt Requested

Account Number: xxxxXXXX (Experian); xxxxXXXX (TransUnion); xxxxXXXX (Equifax)

Greetings:

This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for the above listed accounts. Be advised that I am not requesting a "verification" that you have my mailing address, I am requesting a "validation;" that is, competent evidence that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

Additionally, according to the Massachusetts Consumer Credit Act, in the section entitled, “Massachusetts restriction on reporting by collection agenciesâ€, under prohibitions for debt collectors in paragraph (11) “For a debt collector to report to a consumer reporting agency on its transactions or experiences with a consumer in the debt collector's name. However, a debt collector may, with the express written authorization of the creditor, report to a consumer reporting agency in the creditor's name.†I am a MA resident and as of 5 March 2006, you are reporting this alleged debt as a collection agency, not as the original creditor. Your company is in material violation of Massachusetts Law and I may take measures in order to enforce this law unless your company immediately removes the listings from my TransUnion and Experian credit reports. Additionally, if your company does indeed have written authorization to report as the Original Credit (Cingular Wireless), as you have done on my Equifax report, I demand to see such agreement.

Furthermore, Allied Interstate is listing the amount as $408 and balance as $233. I have never paid your company any money and any amount listed is fully disputed.

It is inconvenient for you to contact me by phone at any time or place. Communication with me through my workplace is prohibited.

bstone

Edited by bstone

*****UPDATED DV*****

+++++++++++++++++

Greetings:

This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for the above listed accounts. Be advised that I am not requesting a "verification" that you have my mailing address, I am requesting a "validation;" that is, competent evidence that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

Additionally, according to the Massachusetts Consumer Credit Act 209 CMR 18.17 “Unfair Practicesâ€, under prohibitions for debt collectors in paragraph 11, the following conduct is a violation: “For a debt collector to report to a consumer reporting agency on its transactions or experiences with a consumer in the debt collector's name. However, a debt collector may, with the express written authorization of the creditor, report to a consumer reporting agency in the creditor's name.†Since I am a MA resident and as of 5 March 2006, you are reporting this alleged debt as a collection agency, not as the original creditor. Your company is in material violation of Massachusetts General Law and I may take measures in order to enforce this law unless your company immediately removes the listings from my TransUnion and Experian credit reports. Additionally, if your company does indeed have written authorization to report as the Original Credit (Cingular Wireless), as you have done on my Equifax report, I demand to see such agreement.

Per Massachusetts Consumer Credit Act 209 CMR 18.18: Validation of Debts, Section 1, Allied Interstate has five (5) days to validate this debt. Failure to validate will require Allied to cease all attempts to collect this alleged debt and remove any listings in any form from my credit reports.

It is inconvenient for you to contact me by phone at any time or place. Communication with me through my workplace is prohibited.

Have you tried disputing this with the CRAs first? I am in MA and I got Midland off with one dispute.

If you are a resident of Mass. then you should not waste your postage, time or paper on a DV to any CA reporting.

A simple dispute to the CRA will do it.

Send another dispute as follows:

Dear CRA

My Name is xxxx

My SS # is xxx xx xxxx

I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxx to insure it's receipt.

On my credit report # xxxxx the following account(s) is/are inaccurate

Account # xxxxx

I have no record of this/these account(s) from this/these creditor(s)

for this/these dates for this/these amount(s)

Any accounts I may have had in the past with any similar creditor(s)

would have had a date of last actvity over 7 years ago and would be

obsolete.

If this/these account(s) is/are verified, please furnish me with the

name and address of the verifying party,the method of verification, and

the reported first delinquency from the original creditor.

In addition, please furnish me with a copy of the permission

to report from the original creditor to the collection agency as required

under Mass. law.

Sincerely,

Make sure you use personalized stationery,and if you are doing it on

your computer ( hand written is best)use purple or teal italic font.

HAND ADDRESS the envelope and send it certified, but NOT RR.

Why Chat,

Thanks I appreciate all your hardwork and help. I posted in your MA collection thread a working link for the PDF. Perhaps update it on your site?

Question: Why only CM and not RRR?