Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

$1000 Maximum at Car Dealership

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

I signed like 20 or 30 papers and one was a "FRAUD" paper that gave them the right to collect their expenses involved in a FRAUDULENT transaction (if it was fraud)

SO "IF" I DISPUTED THE TRANSACTION THEY WOULD STILL COLLECT

THEY ALSO HAVE ALL THE OTHER SIGNED PAPERS THAT WOULD BE PRESENTED TO AMEX "IF" I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO DISPUTE THE SALE!!!

I work for a grocery retail company. I can promise you that not all signed slips, even with accompanying detailed receipt of what they purchased, have resulted in us getting our money back. Even when the signature is clearly visible.

SOMEBODY IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB THEN

...and disputing a sale that is not FRAUD is itself FRAUD

...unless we are talking about a never received mail order product or when the store refuses a return when they should

Not sure if they reported. But that dealership lost over $10k that they were seconds away from getting -- far more than any fine Visa would give them, I think.

My guess is that the car dealership doesn't care about the transaction fee -- but wants to force customers to finance through them by not allowing credit cards to be used. That way they make money off the car loan interest and such.

No, I promise you it's because of the Fees. That check cost them 0 to them. The Credit costs $360 (car companies only make 500-1k on average for a vehicle btw). I work for grocery retail and last year we switched to automatically prompt VISA Debit cards to enter PIN (They can hit cancel to run as Credit) because Debits are much, much cheaper than Credit for merchants. Credit Card costs in 1 month are more than our company loses in Bounced Checks (excluding collections) in a year.

"IF" THEY PAID $360 FOR THE FEE THEY BETTER GET A CHEAPER CREDIT CARD PROCESSOR COMPANY A.S.A.P.

It's usually a flat fee (small) and then a %. AmEx has the highest, Discover is next and then MC/VISA are the cheapest. AmEx Fees can be as high as 3% which is why many merchants have stopped taking them in the last couple of years. Even if it was only $200, 0 is inifinately better than $200 which is about 20-40% of their profit margin. The reason they usually let you put $1000-$2000 down is that they STILL count it as a downpayment which lets you more likely to get a loan. That is the ONLY reason.

Look I'm noting saying they are right, but the contract they are in breach of is not a contract between you and them. It is between them and the CC company.

If you called the police, I'd be willing to bet you a steak dinner that the cops would tell you it's a civil matter, not their problem.

Actually, it's fraud...they post a sign saying that they accept a certain form of payment, then they refuse that payment, and hold your property unlawfully after you made a good-faith effort to pay. Possible implied contract issues may also come into play. But the bottom line is, they cannot hold your property after you make a bona fide effort to pay for it with a card that they are legally required to accept.

I'll take my steak rare, thank you. :grin:

I signed like 20 or 30 papers and one was a "FRAUD" paper that gave them the right to collect their expenses involved in a FRAUDULENT transaction (if it was fraud)

SO "IF" I DISPUTED THE TRANSACTION THEY WOULD STILL COLLECT

THEY ALSO HAVE ALL THE OTHER SIGNED PAPERS THAT WOULD BE PRESENTED TO AMEX "IF" I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO DISPUTE THE SALE!!!

I work for a grocery retail company. I can promise you that not all signed slips, even with accompanying detailed receipt of what they purchased, have resulted in us getting our money back. Even when the signature is clearly visible.

SOMEBODY IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB THEN

...and disputing a sale that is not FRAUD is itself FRAUD

...unless we are talking about a never received mail order product or when the store refuses a return when they should

Usually when we get charge backs, we recover the money but about 10% of the time we do not, even after faxing in a copy of the signed receipt and an Electronic Journal of the transaction and if necesary mailing them in.

Edited by rb22982

Not sure if they reported. But that dealership lost over $10k that they were seconds away from getting -- far more than any fine Visa would give them, I think.

My guess is that the car dealership doesn't care about the transaction fee -- but wants to force customers to finance through them by not allowing credit cards to be used. That way they make money off the car loan interest and such.

No, I promise you it's because of the Fees. That check cost them 0 to them. The Credit costs $360 (car companies only make 500-1k on average for a vehicle btw). I work for grocery retail and last year we switched to automatically prompt VISA Debit cards to enter PIN (They can hit cancel to run as Credit) because Debits are much, much cheaper than Credit for merchants. Credit Card costs in 1 month are more than our company loses in Bounced Checks (excluding collections) in a year.

"IF" THEY PAID $360 FOR THE FEE THEY BETTER GET A CHEAPER CREDIT CARD PROCESSOR COMPANY A.S.A.P.

It's usually a flat fee (small) and then a %. AmEx has the highest, Discover is next and then MC/VISA are the cheapest. AmEx Fees can be as high as 3% which is why many merchants have stopped taking them in the last couple of years. Even if it was only $200, 0 is inifinately better than $200 which is about 20-40% of their profit margin. The reason they usually let you put $1000-$2000 down is that they STILL count it as a downpayment which lets you more likely to get a loan. That is the ONLY reason.

MY 2 DURANGOS WERE CONTINGENT ON PIF WITH AMEX DELTA

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

ACTUAL PROFIT IS UP FOR DEBATE

Edited by GEORGE

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

SUVs, Luxury Cars and in some cases trucks have much higher profit margins than a normal car so I could imagine that dealerships would be willing to take it for those. Plus, you never know if a dealership just needs to move inventory, even if at a loss.

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

SUVs, Luxury Cars and in some cases trucks have much higher profit margins than a normal car so I could imagine that dealerships would be willing to take it for those. Plus, you never know if a dealership just needs to move inventory, even if at a loss.

...also when your going to lose a sale that is worth a little less than $18,000 IS THAT A BENEFIT TO YOU???

$18,000 vs $0

A FEE IS A COST OF DOING BUSINESS JUST LIKE...

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

GOOD THING I DIDN'T GO POTTY or USE THE PHONE!!!

Edited by GEORGE

Look I'm noting saying they are right, but the contract they are in breach of is not a contract between you and them. It is between them and the CC company.

If you called the police, I'd be willing to bet you a steak dinner that the cops would tell you it's a civil matter, not their problem.

Actually, it's fraud...they post a sign saying that they accept a certain form of payment, then they refuse that payment, and hold your property unlawfully after you made a good-faith effort to pay. Possible implied contract issues may also come into play. But the bottom line is, they cannot hold your property after you make a bona fide effort to pay for it with a card that they are legally required to accept.

I'll take my steak rare, thank you. :grin:

The POLICE will try to push the dealer to your side since you made the PIF offer on the credit card to resolve the issue...

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

...also when your going to lose a sale that is worth a little less than $18,000 IS THAT A BENEFIT TO YOU???

$18,000 vs $0

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

Those fees aren't nearly as much as CC costs. The cost per person for those is probably under 50¢ on average. Probably less. Look at financial statements from companies and look at Credit Card costs (excluding chargebacks). Most retailers, like us, up our prices probably 2% to just account for Credit Card fees.

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

$18,000 vs $0

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

Those fees aren't nearly as much as CC costs. The cost per person for those is probably under 50¢ on average. Probably less. Look at financial statements from companies and look at Credit Card costs (excluding chargebacks). Most retailers, like us, up our prices probably 2% to just account for Credit Card fees.

vs losing the sale

OK...LOSE THE SALE!!!

Edited by GEORGE

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

$18,000 vs $0

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

vs losing the sale

OK...LOSE THE SALE!!!

When you're talking about eating 20-40% of the bottom line just to pay with CC vs Check, they very well may prefer to temporarily lose the sale.

Plus, I work in upscale grocery so it doesn't affect us nearly as much but our CC Merchant fees amount to over $1 million a year out of around $500mil in sales putting it up the list on costs besides payroll, benefits and rent.

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

$18,000 vs $0

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

vs losing the sale

OK...LOSE THE SALE!!!

When you're talking about eating 20-40% of the bottom line just to pay with CC vs Check, they very well may prefer to temporarily lose the sale.

Plus, I work in upscale grocery so it doesn't affect us nearly as much but our CC Merchant fees amount to over $1 million a year out of around $500mil in sales putting it up the list on costs besides payroll, benefits and rent.

NO CHECK WAS EVER IN THE OFFER

NO AMEX DELTA--NO SALE

$18,000 vs $0

WATER

SEWER

ELECTRIC

GAS

TRASH

PHONE

vs losing the sale

OK...LOSE THE SALE!!!

NO CHECK WAS EVER IN THE OFFER

You're missing the point. Any other form of payment is going to have at most 20¢ (debit) cost [0 cash, 0 check) to them vs $150-$400. I realize its more beneficial to YOU to pay with a CC to get points/cash and such but to consumers as a whole it is not as it just usually leads to price increases or in some cases like cars a complete denial of sale.

$0 SALE IS A BENEFIT???

IT IS A GAIN OF $18,000 TO THE DEALER NEXT DOOR

CASH WAS NOT AN OPTION

CHECK WAS NOT AN OPTION

FINANCING WAS NOT AN OPTION

Edited by GEORGE

[0 SALE IS A BENEFIT???

IT IS A GAIN OF $18,000 TO THE DEALER NEXT DOOR

I don't think you understand that they will still sell the car to the next person and that 99 people out of 100 won't argue like you would about it. They aren't making $18k off of that car. The bottom line is at best 5% of that if have any debating skills whatsoever on what you will pay for the car.

You're free to your opinion but as someone who also is on the other side will say that I side with the car companies to let them freedom to limit what people can pay with a CC.

If a dealership sells a car and they lie to the customer (like say this car was never in an accident and then the customer finds it was in an acccident a few days after buying it), I think the customer is entitled to a return of the product they were sold.

Using a credit card secures that right via chargeback if the dealership refused to take it back and refund.

If a dealership sells a car and they lie to the customer (like say this car was never in an accident and then the customer finds it was in an acccident a few days after buying it), I think the customer is entitled to a return of the product they were sold.

Using a credit card secures that right via chargeback if the dealership refused to take it back and refund.

What would stop a person from buying a car with a CC, taking it to their 10th (or 15th or20th or whatever) an then deciding to return it after they are done "showing off".

If the dealer says no, can they still do a charge-back?

So what can we say to the dealership if they put a max on how much we can pay using the cc? Tell them their in violation of their agreement with Visa/MC and call Visa/MC if they still refuse? BTW, how would we call Visa/MC, would calling the number on the back of the cc work?

Also, wouldn't we be able to just do a large BT into our bank account and write a check for the car?

So what can we say to the dealership if they put a max on how much we can pay using the cc? Tell them their in violation of their agreement with Visa/MC and call Visa/MC if they still refuse? BTW, how would we call Visa/MC, would calling the number on the back of the cc work?

Also, wouldn't we be able to just do a large BT into our bank account and write a check for the car?

NO MILES!!!

Edited by GEORGE

What would stop a person from buying a car with a CC, taking it to their 10th (or 15th or20th or whatever) an then deciding to return it after they are done "showing off".

If the dealer says no, can they still do a charge-back?

1) Many dealers have a policy where you can return the car within 3 days, as long as you put less than like 300 miles on it.

2) If the dealer says no, then can't do a chargeback (provided the car wasn't defective, or was not as advertised)

If a dealership takes credit cards and refuses yours, then tell them they are required to take it. If they still refuse tell them "Sorry, I only pay by credit card. I'll be going elsewhere. You guys just lost a ___ thousand dollar sale."

tell you what.. if you pay MSRP to a dealer for any new vehicle they will take your visa or amex card as payment in full. if you make a deal at invoice I guarantee you they wont.

tell you what.. if you pay MSRP to a dealer for any new vehicle they will take your visa or amex card as payment in full. if you make a deal at invoice I guarantee you they wont.

If they do not take the credit card I present for payment (provided their dealership is displaying the sign saying they accept the card brand), then they get no sale at all.

DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH THEY WANT A SALE...

they dont want it that bad

they dont want it that bad

THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM

WITH 50+/- DEALERS IN 20 MILES...SOMEBODY GETS A SALE

Edited by GEORGE

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines