Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Circuit City Crusade

The last post in this topic was posted 5137 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I recently complained online about them asking for my ID before processing my VISA payment. This is what I got in response...

"Please note that for verification purposes and for the security of the

people who shop at Circuit City stores we have a policy of asking that

the customer produces an identity card before the payment process."

I clearly explained that VISA states that they could not base the sale on my ability to produce an ID if my card is signed, and this is still how they responded. Circuit City is my new crusade. I want to see how far I can push this...

I recently complained online about them asking for my ID before processing my VISA payment. This is what I got in response...

I clearly explained that VISA states that they could not base the sale on my ability to produce an ID if my card is signed, and this is still how they responded. Circuit City is my new crusade. I want to see how far I can push this...

STORE POLICY CAN NOT OVER-RULE CREDIT CARD POLICY

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? In most cases,

merchants may not ask for an ID as part of their regular card acceptance

procedures, either when a valid card is first presented or to complete a sale.

Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder's

personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

If you are suspicious about the transaction or feel you need additional informa-

tion to insure the identity of the cardholder, make a Code 10 call.

I have been emailing back and forth with customer service and they have begun back-tracking after stating the above. I informed them that I would be printing a transcript of the emails and forwarding them to VISA, Chase and the Circuit City Headquarters, highlighting all of the instances where they admit to the willful and blatant breaking of VISA's policies. I can tell they are starting to want me to go away. I am going to keep pushing. They gave me crap the other day and ticked me off.

I'm getting tired of the "we're doing it for you" crap justifications, as if that's somehow believable and will make me say "oh, ok, go ahead". Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, but it's way overused and makes me suspicious every time I hear it. Not just on this issue, but it pops up every time I turn around, it seems.

I have been emailing back and forth with customer service and they have begun back-tracking after stating the above. I informed them that I would be printing a transcript of the emails and forwarding them to VISA, Chase and the Circuit City Headquarters, highlighting all of the instances where they admit to the willful and blatant breaking of VISA's policies. I can tell they are starting to want me to go away. I am going to keep pushing. They gave me crap the other day and ticked me off.

I'm not sure why you're e-mailing back and forth. Just report them and be done with it.

The truth is, I just enjoy watching the customer service people squirm. I want to see how high in the company I can go (already chatting directly with a cust service manager after being escalted twice).

Just go to circuit city, buy something, and then refuse to show your ID with the card. If they try not to accept the card, then let them know they are REQUIRED to accept it and make a big scene.

Just go to circuit city, buy something, and then refuse to show your ID with the card. If they try not to accept the card, then let them know they are REQUIRED to accept it and make a big scene.

I have that planned for Sunday afternoon.... really. Last time I just complained. This time, I am going in with only my VISA in my front pocket and nothing else. They are either going to let me make the purchase, call in a CODE 10, or refuse the purchase whereas the manager and I will call 911-VISA together and maybe they can explain it to them.

Go get 'em killer.

I'LL HAVE TO SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMETHING I NEED AT THAT STORE AFTER WORK ON SATURDAY...

"Because of our commitment to excellent customer service, I have reviewed

your message with the store management team. You will be contacted

shortly regarding your experience."

This is the last thing I got from them after letting them know who I was going to contact with my complaints. I knew they were starting to back-track. I will be curious what they have to say...

I thought I needed to get a life...

No kidding.

yawn... let the sheep talk smack..

If you were planning on going to the store and buying X Product anyway, that would be fine. Purposely going down to the store, to buy something you wouldn't be buying anyway, in the hopes that you can start a confrontation... you can spin that however you want, it's still silly, and shows the definite accumulation of too much idle time and not enough meaningful purpose in one's life. No way around it.

"Because of our commitment to excellent customer service, I have reviewed

your message with the store management team. You will be contacted

shortly regarding your experience."

This is the last thing I got from them after letting them know who I was going to contact with my complaints. I knew they were starting to back-track. I will be curious what they have to say...

I am curious what they'll say, but I'm kind of expecting some kind of double-speak.

No kidding.

If you were planning on going to the store and buying X Product anyway, that would be fine. Purposely going down to the store, to buy something you wouldn't be buying anyway, in the hopes that you can start a confrontation... you can spin that however you want, it's still silly, and shows the definite accumulation of too much idle time and not enough meaningful purpose in one's life. No way around it.

Tread lightly when discussing whether or not one's life has "meaingful purpose" or "too much idle time." These boards are anonymous, and you really don't know anything about anyone here. I did not take offense, but I could have. I do have a reason to go to Circuit City this weekend, and as a matter of fact, I have spent over $10,000 with thme in the past 3 years. I tend to go there quite a bit. The fact that I can get to the store in less than 5 minutes is the main reason I shop there.

I will say that I am tired of their policy. As much time as I do spend in there, and the amount of dollars I have spent justifies my time.

Edited by pastpolls

No kidding.

...AND HELLO WALL

No kidding.

SURE YOUR GOING TO BUY SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT or NEED WITH HOPES TO START A FIGHT!!!

pfffffffffff

No kidding.

SURE YOUR GOING TO BUY SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT or NEED WITH HOPES TO START A FIGHT!!!

pfffffffffff

Huh???

No kidding.

pfffffffffff

Huh???

Huh WHAT???

No kidding.

pfffffffffff

Huh???

Huh WHAT???

FIGHT--CONFRONTATION

Anyone ever thought to just tell the checker that "the card is signed, and I'd rather not show I.D."? If they persist, explain the VISA policy. Whether you think they are doing it for your best interests or not, I am convinced that that is what they think (at least the checkers do--they're mostly high school and college kids who don't know any better than what their bosses tell them). There really isn't much of a point in picking a fight with them. It happened to me at BestBuy and at Circuit City. They didn't press the issue.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CEOMoney
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines