Sign in to follow this  
KristofsMom

Does anyone have a discover card?

I have one. It sucks. I broke out in a rash last time I touched it. The card is so ugly it looks like it climbed the ugly ladder and didn't miss a step.

Have you looked at the Discovery IT Miles card? It's the best travel/miles card out there that doesn't actually pay airline miles and doesn't work anywhere you travel.

I have the Discover IT. I like it.

1. Highest Credit limit of all my cards.

2. Soft pulls for additional CLI's

3. It comes in a nifty box - not an envelope - a box. Good marketing gimmick.

4. Cash back - but not as much cash as other cards that give lower percentages, but no rotating categories.

I use the Discover more than the rest of them because of the higher credit limit -- and I can get cash back at the register just like a debit card at most grocery stores - without the risk of a debit card.

:huh:

:swoon:

I have the Discover IT. I like it.

1. Highest Credit limit of all my cards.

2. Soft pulls for additional CLI's

3. It comes in a nifty box - not an envelope - a box. Good marketing gimmick.

4. Cash back - but not as much cash as other cards that give lower percentages, but no rotating categories.

I use the Discover more than the rest of them because of the higher credit limit -- and I can get cash back at the register just like a debit card at most grocery stores - without the risk of a debit card.

In other words you're knowingly giving up on rewards.

What is the actual point of continually bumping threads that are 10+ years old? Is it supposed to be funny somehow?

bump. can someone help out and answer the question? TIA

What is the actual point of continually bumping threads that are 10+ years old? Is it supposed to be funny somehow?

bump. can someone help out and answer the question? TIA
That was a rant. We don't respond to that to keep things civil here

Something productive came out of this thread though.

We learned that some people like Discover for the packaging that it comes in and knowingly give up cash rewards by earning less on their Discover card. :swoon:

We learned that some people like Discover for the packaging that it comes in and knowingly give up cash rewards by earning less on their Discover card. :swoon:

Suggestion for the credit math thread...

Feelings < Real Rewards

Suggestion for the credit math thread...

Feelings < Real Rewards

I will add it. :good:

I have one. It sucks. I broke out in a rash last time I touched it. The card is so ugly it looks like it climbed the ugly ladder and didn't miss a step.

necropostofaggalicious!

So, 10% cash back is not the best you can do without portals, etc.?

You certainly don't earn 10% cash back on most purchases.

Most are 1% and the bonus caps are low.

True, but category spend is 5% + 5% for the first year. Not too shabby for a no AF card.

If you're talking year round general spend, then yeah, you're better off with Citi DC, Blispay, or if you eat out a lot like DW and I do, Amex PRG or a 3% card like Chase AARP, Sync Marvel, or NFCU Go Rewards.

I have many tools in my tool chest. Discover is just one of them.

True, but category spend is 5% + 5% for the first year. Not too shabby for a no AF card.

If you're talking year round general spend, then yeah, you're better off with Citi DC, Blispay, or if you eat out a lot like DW and I do, Amex PRG or a 3% card like Chase AARP, Sync Marvel, or NFCU Go Rewards.

Yes, but it is a tool that earns 1% for most purchases. 5% has a low cap as well.

The point was that the person in this thread admitted to using it at 1% because they liked the card.

Yes, but it is a tool that earns 1% for most purchases. 5% has a low cap as well.

The point was that the person in this thread admitted to using it at 1% because they liked the card.

Ah...gotcha. My point still stands, though.

Yes, for category spend under the cap the 5% is a good thing. I don't think that Mendel will argue that specific point. :)

I may have a gas powered auger in my toolshed, but it doesn't have a lot of non-very-specific use.

Yes, for category spend under the cap the 5% is a good thing. I don't think that Mendel will argue that specific point. :)

I may have a gas powered auger in my toolshed, but it doesn't have a lot of non-very-specific use.

Hmmm...I can think of a few "unconventional" uses for a gas-powered auger. :grin:

Exactly. Of course I'll use the low cap after I first use 5x which is worth way more than 5%. With some redemptions at 5-6+ cpp that makes it way more valuable than 5%.

The only reason I wanted a Disco card was to avoid the line at the front gate of Six Flags. They have a special entrance for Discover card holders.

About the only action the card gets is the Six-Flags monthly membership fee and spending in the park (Both 5% cash back).

The other thing I've found out about the card is that at the grocery store I can get cash out at the register without a fee, interest or penalty. I haven't used it much for that but I'm really bad about not carrying cash, so a couple of times I've pulled out fifty bucks or so.