Sign in to follow this  
bregan

Experian Phone Dispute - medical

So I read this in whychat's post:

Prohibits a consumer reporting agency from including in any consumer report the name, address, and telephone number of any medical

information furnisher except in code, unless the report is provided to an insurance company for other than property and casualty insurance

purposes.

Thinking I had an easy removal, i called experian who is reporting the Hospital's name (Central Financial Control was the collector and it has been payed since 2002). They said they can list the original creditor, even if its a hospital, and that only means if its like a "Cancer Clinic" or something like that. They wouldn't budge on it and would not even dispute it that way. I had to find something else wrong to dispute. Is the wording above not pretty clear?

Edited by bregan

I do not know if this will help you or not. But the following is from Equifax regarding Medical information.

6. Suppressed Medical Information Accounts

Effective Date for Phase I: May 25, 2004

Effective Date for Phase II: March 2, 2005/Testing Date for Phase II will be announced at a later date.

A. What the Law Says

Effective June 1, 2004: A consumer reporting agency may not provide a consumer report containing any medical information unless such information is suppressed or coded or the user has obtained the consumer’s specific consent to receive such information.

Effective March 4, 2005: A consumer reporting agency may not provide the name, address and telephone number of any medical information furnisher.

Exception: Medical information can be provided if the user has received the consumer’s specific consent, and certifies that it has received the consumer’s consent and that the information is relevant to the transaction.

B. What Equifax is Doing

Accordingly, Equifax is making the following changes regarding medical information contained in Equifax consumer reports:

1. Effective 05/25/04 (Phase I)

Collections Agencies

The Client Name on all collections containing the name of a medical services provider will be suppressed.

Tradelines

On any tradeline with an industry code “M” or narrative ”GS,” the following suppression/masking procedures will be applied:

• Suppress the Plain Language Name.

• Mask the member number by using zeros in the last five positions (i.e., 401MH00000); masked member numbers cannot be decoded.

• Suppress the “Purchased from/Sold to Original creditor name” field if present.

Note: Collection items that appear on file as a tradeline will follow the tradeline changes outlined above.

Factoring Companies / Returned Checks

The name of the original creditor (who could be a medical services provider) is reported as part of the account number field. For those Factoring Companies/Returned Check tradelines the following suppression procedures will be applied:

• The account number (preceding the first dash) containing a medical services provider name will be suppressed.

• Suppress the “Purchased from/Sold to Original creditor name” field if present.

Equifax ePORT/DAT/Print Image Changes October 2004 Release Page 8 of 12

Public Records

The Plaintiff Name on the Judgments will be suppressed if it contains the name of a medical services provider.

Decodes

Suppressed information, as identified above, will not be decoded.

2. Effective 03/02/05 (Phase II)

Collections Agencies

• The Collections Client Name containing the name of a medical services provider will be suppressed.

• The Collection Agency that is reporting the medical collection will be suppressed.

• The Collection Agency’s member number will be masked by using zeros in the last five positions (i.e., 401YC00000 or 401YA00000); masked member numbers cannot be decoded.

Tradelines

On any tradeline with an industry code “M” or narrative “GS,” the following suppression/masking procedures will be applied:

• Suppress the Plain Language Name.

• Mask the member number by using zeros in the last five positions (i.e., 401MH00000); masked member numbers cannot be decoded.

Note: Collection items that appear on file as a tradeline will follow the tradeline changes outlined above.

Factoring Companies / Returned Checks

The name of the original creditor (who could be a medical services provider) is reported as part of the account number field. For those Factoring Companies/Returned Check tradelines the following suppression/masking procedures will be applied:

• The account number (preceding the first dash) containing a medical services provider name will be suppressed.

• Suppress the name of the company reporting the medical account.

• Mask the member number by using zeros in the last five positions (i.e., 401FY00000 or 401ZZ00000).

Public Records

The Plaintiff Name on the Judgments will be suppressed if it contains the name of a medical services provider.

Decodes

Suppressed information, as identified above, will not be decoded.

Equifax ePORT/DAT/Print Image Changes October 2004 Release Page 9 of 12

Exceptions to Suppression of Medical Information

• If the user has obtained the consumer’s specific consent to receive the medical provider information, Equifax will deliver it to the user if the user provides the applicable permissible purpose code with its inquiry, certifying that it has obtained the required consent from the consumer and that the information is relevant to the transaction, as set forth below. This exception will only be allowed for users in certain industries and only after they have signed the appropriate Equifax agreement. Contact your Equifax sales representative for details.

• Four new permissible purpose codes have been created, which will be required for users to input with their inquiry in order for them to be able to receive this uncoded medical information:

26: “In connection with a credit transaction involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account of, the consumer, where the medical information to be furnished is relevant to process or effect the transaction, and specific consumer consent was provided for the furnishing of the consumer report that describes the use for which the medical information will be furnished.”

27: “For employment purposes, where the medical information to be furnished is relevant to process or effect the transaction, and specific consumer consent was provided for the furnishing of the consumer report that describes the use for which the medical information will be furnished.”

28: “In connection with the underwriting of insurance. Specific consumer consent was given for the release of medical information contained within the consumer report.”

29: “In connection with a transaction where the credit file, including any medical information in it, is only to be provided directly to the individual consumer to whom the information relates and specific consumer consent was received for the receipt and furnishing of the consumer report, including medical information, to the consumer.” (For ZC resellers only)

C. What Users Must Do

Put procedures into place

If users wish to take advantage of the exception to receive medical information, the user must put procedures in place to obtain the consumer’s specific consent to receive medical information, make the appropriate certifications regarding obtaining the consumer’s consent and the relevance of the information, and sign the appropriate Equifax agreement.

Equifax ePORT/DAT/Print Image Changes October 2004 Release Page 10 of 12

As of the date I got the memo, this was the Equifax procedure. One would believe that the other CRA's would interpret similarly.

Are you seeing the report they sent you, or that they sent to a creditor?

they CAN put it on the reports they send YOU

and why the HE** are you PHONING in a dispute anyway?

how does the entire TL list? (minus Identifying information of course)

Are you seeing the report they sent you, or that they sent to a creditor

lol sorry! I just phoned it in because I figured it would be an easy delete. Yes, its the report they sent me and on the truecredit one.

On my Experian report, it says

CENTRAL FINL CONTROL

PO BOX 6605 1

ANAHEIM CA 92816

xxxxxxxxx

Original Creditor: KENNER REGIONAL MEDICAL CTR

This is what it looks like on my 3-1 from truecredit:

Creditor Name: CENTRL FINCL CONTROL

Account No.: xxxxxxx

Responsibility: Individual

Condition: Paid

Original Balance: $1410

Balance: $0

Date Opened: 10/01/2001

Date Reported: 11/01/2005

Edited by bregan

Are you seeing the report they sent you, or that they sent to a creditor

lol sorry! I just phoned it in because I figured it would be an easy delete. Yes, its the report they sent me and on the truecredit one.

On my Experian report, it says

CENTRAL FINL CONTROL

PO BOX 6605 1

ANAHEIM CA 92816

xxxxxxxxx

This is what it looks like on my 3-1 from truecredit:

Creditor Name: CENTRL FINCL CONTROL

Account No.: xxxxxxx

Responsibility: Individual

Condition: Paid

Original Balance: $1410

Balance: $0

Date Opened: 10/01/2001

Date Reported: 11/01/2005

Truecredit is still "your" report, rather than one a creditor would see...so that wouldn't be a violation

have you DV'd the CA? What's the history of this? Have you disputed it as "not mine" at all with the CRAs?

I too have Central Finance Control on my reports. I DV them, and they sent me copies of my hospital bill. What's funny though is that #1 they are not licensed in AR and #2 they claim that they are NOT a CA. They are the billing part of St. Francis Hospital (the OC for my bill). Funny, under "Loan type" it says COLLECTION AGENCY........

So, if you figure out how to get rid of them, let me know, okay?

Doh, I did just realize that I had 2 accounts with them. I paid one (before CB) and disputed it as not mine and it came off. The one that was unpaid is sticking.

I too have Central Finance Control on my reports.  I DV them, and they sent me copies of my hospital bill.  What's funny though is that #1 they are not licensed in AR and #2 they claim that they are NOT a CA.  They are the billing part of St. Francis Hospital (the OC for my bill).  Funny, under "Loan type" it says COLLECTION AGENCY........

So, if you figure out how to get rid of them, let me know, okay?

Do their letters contain the FDCPA required wording?

I've disputed "not mine" online, and through mail... many many times. I actually have two paid accounts with these folks and have managed to remove the 2nd one from 2 reports... both were showing on all three reports at one time.

I also tried the HIPAA letter using one of your examples and sent it directly to the original creditor... They sent the letter to Central Financial Control and they responded with this:

Dear me,

This office has completed its investigation in reponse to your letter disputing and requesting validation of the aforementioned accounts. Please note this office has updated its records with the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) to reflect a disputed status as well as conducted a thorough investigation of the accounts in question with our client, Kenner Regional Medical Center. The accounts in question arise from services rendered by our client on dates... Further, the account in question and the outstanding balance have been verified by our client. The accounts are now paid in full.

XXXXXXXXX: On the above listed date, and individual with youer demographics, name, address and social security number presented himself at our client's facility and received services. No insurance infomration was provided. A copy of the UB/92 (statement of charges) has been provided for your convenience.

Our records indace that your account XXXXXXXXX was billed to your insurance carrier Blue Cross in the amount of xx.xx. The insurance paid xx.xx and per the contractual relationship between Blue Cross and our client, xx.xx was adjusted off the account. The balance of xx.xx was listed by Blue Cross as patient deductible and co-payment. A copy of the UB/92 (statement of charges) has been provided for your convenience.

Further, utilizing the information provided to our client, this office did make every attempt to contact you and advise you of this outstanding obligation. This office never received notice of a fowarding address or change of address for the USPS. Further to this office's attempt to advise of your obligation via mail, our records indicate on several occassions, we attempted to contact you via telephone: again, with the information provided to our client.

Additionally, our records show that this office did make telephone contact with you on date, date, and date. On date, you accounts were referred to the Law Offices of Some Lawyer, where the accounts were paid in full on date.

Under this office's obligation to and with the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) we are contractually obligated to report delinquent accounts. As stated above, this office made every attempt to advise you of this accounts, as such, our reporting of the same to the CRAs is justified. Therefore, we shall not remove our derogatory reporting from your credit report. Upon receipt of the balance owed, this office updated its reporting with the CRAs to indicate as paid in full.

Forgive any types... i just typed all that from the letter!

Edit: I saw your response about the FDCPA wording, I'm not sure what that is, but it says this at the bottom of each page:

This has been sent from a collection agency, Central Financial Control. This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Edited by bregan

I've disputed "not mine" online, and through mail... many many times.  I actually have two paid accounts with these folks and have managed to remove the 2nd one from 2 reports... both were showing on all three reports at one time.

I also tried the HIPAA letter using one of your examples and sent it directly to the original creditor... They sent the letter to Central Financial Control and they responded with this:

Dear me,

This office has completed its investigation in reponse to your letter disputing and requesting validation of the aforementioned accounts.  Please note this office has updated its records with the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) to reflect a disputed status as well as conducted a thorough investigation of the accounts in question with our client, Kenner Regional Medical Center.  The accounts in question arise from services rendered by our client on dates...  Further, the account in question and the outstanding balance have been verified by our client.  The accounts are now paid in full.

XXXXXXXXX:  On the above listed date, and individual with youer demographics, name, address and social security number presented himself at our client's facility and received services.  No insurance infomration was provided.  A copy of the UB/92 (statement of charges) has been provided for your convenience.

Our records indace that your account XXXXXXXXX was billed to your insurance carrier Blue Cross in the amount of xx.xx.  The insurance paid xx.xx and per the contractual relationship between Blue Cross and our client, xx.xx was adjusted off the account.  The balance of xx.xx was listed by Blue Cross as patient deductible and co-payment.  A copy of the UB/92 (statement of charges) has been provided for your convenience.

Further, utilizing the information provided to our client, this office did make every attempt to contact you and advise you of this outstanding obligation.  This office never received notice of a fowarding address or change of address for the USPS.  Further to this office's attempt to advise of your obligation via mail, our records indicate on several occassions, we attempted to contact you via telephone: again, with the information provided to our client.

Additionally, our records show that this office did make telephone contact with you on date, date, and date.  On date, you accounts were referred to the Law Offices of Some Lawyer, where the accounts were paid in full on date.

Under this office's obligation to and with the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) we are contractually obligated to report delinquent accounts.  As stated above, this office made every attempt to advise you of this accounts, as such, our reporting of the same to the CRAs is justified.  Therefore, we shall not remove our derogatory reporting from your credit report.  Upon receipt of the balance owed, this office updated its reporting with the CRAs to indicate as paid in full.

Forgive any types... i just typed all that from the letter!

you should have followed the 1-2 punch and DV'd before you disputed (as with all CA's)