Sign in to follow this  
losangeles

Employment Verification--Advice/Analysis needed!

I accidentally posted this in General Discussion before. It properly belongs here, I believe. Sorry about the double post. My original question follows:

Hello everyone,

First off I wanted to thank everyone who participates here. I've learned a lot!

What brought me here is that about a month ago I got a phone call at my job from "Client Services, Inc." regarding a debt owed from Bank of America. I quickly blurted out that I "couldn't take personal calls at work!" and hung up. After freaking out for a couple of hours I found this website and started studying!

The next day, I received a letter in the mail from Client Services. At this point I had read enough here to draft a debt validation letter with a limited C&D that invited them to write to me about the matter but that phone calls were inconvenient for me, especially at work where I was prohibited from receiving them.

The phone calls stopped immediately and about ten days after sending the letter I received the green receipt back from the USPS.

Today my boss told me that he got a letter asking to verify my employment. We're a small company (about twenty employees) and pretty casual. He told me: "You fill it out if you want" and just left it on my desk.

My questions are as follows:

What's my best tactic? Ignore it? Send it back? Send it back accurately? or say that I am no longer employed there?

Also--what does this mean? Is this Client Services getting ready to serve me? Or is this them just trying to rattle me a little?

Thanks in advance for any thought on the matter.

Tell us what the letter said. I would personally indicate you no longer work there.

It looked pretty much like a form letter:

CLIENT SERVICES, INC.

3451 HARRY S. TRUMAN BLVD.

ST CHARLES, MO 63301

636-947-2321

11-14-05

XXXMY COMPANYXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

ATTN: Personnel Department

Regarding:  XXXXXXX ME XXXXXXX

Social Security Number:  MY-SS-NUMBER

Please confirm or correct location information concerning the above-named individual as shown by your records.  You may return this letter with your response at the bottom.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

PROBABLY MADE UP CA NAME

The above named employee:        (Please Check)

_________________ is currently employed by us

_________________is NOT currently employed by us

The employee's latest address and phone, as shown by our records

:)

Tell us what the letter said.  I would personally indicate you no longer work there.

You cannot lie. I disagree with this advice. It depends on what your goal is: if you want to catch them in violation, keep the letter and do research into what the law says about letters like this after recieving DV.

None of their business where you work. Definitely do not send the form letter back to them.

Tell us what the letter said.  I would personally indicate you no longer work there.

You cannot lie. I disagree with this advice. It depends on what your goal is: if you want to catch them in violation, keep the letter and do research into what the law says about letters like this after recieving DV.

None of their business where you work. Definitely do not send the form letter back to them.

Honestly, my goal is simply to see if they actually can/will validate. Secondarily, my other goal is not to get hassled at work because it's embarassing.

I'll start researching the law on this topic--can anyone give me any short cuts? Has anyone else ever received something like this after sending a DV letter? I live in California if it matters.

Thanks.

First question.. why would you sent that in to them?

If they got no response.. they would assume that you dont work there and that they sent it to the wrong place.

now here is food for thought

Since you DV'd them they could be in violation ( someone tell me if im off base on this )

FDCPA Section 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(:dntknw: If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

Would their letter to the employer after the receipt of the DV be constituted as continuance of the debt collection process? Are CA's Allowed to attempt to contact employers at this point in time?

One would think that it could put ones employment in jepordy.

First question.. why would you sent that in to them?

If they got no response.. they would assume that you dont work there and that they sent it to the wrong place.

now here is food for thought

Since you DV'd them they could be in violation ( someone tell me if im off base on this )

FDCPA Section 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

(:blink: If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

Would their letter to the employer after the receipt of the DV be constituted as continuance of the debt collection process?  Are CA's Allowed to attempt to contact employers at this point in time?

One would think that it could put ones employment in jepordy.

my thinking exactly...

Tell us what the letter said. I would personally indicate you no longer work there.

It looked pretty much like a form letter:

CLIENT SERVICES, INC.

3451 HARRY S. TRUMAN BLVD.

ST CHARLES, MO 63301

636-947-2321

11-14-05

XXXMY COMPANYXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

ATTN: Personnel Department

Regarding:  XXXXXXX ME XXXXXXX

Social Security Number:  MY-SS-NUMBER

Please confirm or correct location information concerning the above-named individual as shown by your records.  You may return this letter with your response at the bottom.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

PROBABLY MADE UP CA NAME

The above named employee:         (Please Check)

_________________ is currently employed by us

_________________is NOT currently employed by us

The employee's latest address and phone, as shown by our records

<_<

The last request would place your employer in violation of the law!!! Employers by law may only state employment status..(yes,employed or no,not employed ) and dates of employment or currant position in company.

and as mentioned, If they sent this out (check postmark on envelope or date of letter at top) AFTER recieving your C&D valadation request, then yes they are quite possibly in vilotation also!

I am thinking along the same lines as you that it is continued collection activity for sure.

A couple of things:

Now that I think of it, there is no way that I'll send this back.

The letter is dated 11-14-05. Which would be one day before the green tag says they signed for my DV. However, it was postmarked 11-29-05. This makes it all seem like an incredibly clumsy attempt to circumvent my DV.

For right now, I'm not going to do anything about this--it's just going to go in my file and wait. If they don't back off then I guess some sort of nutcase letter is next.

Anyone else dealt with Client Services before? Are they especially nasty?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for calming me down.

keep the envelope

don't send it in...

them asking for your location information is NOT, in my opinion, a violation (but it IS continued collection)

In the letter did they IDENTIFY themselves as a CA by name?

That could be a third-party violation...just a thought....

I would keep everything these scum bags are sending you.. keep them safe and keeep everything.. even the freakin staples. the envelop might have DNA on it that you can use for testing to prove they sent it LOL ( damn i watch too much CSI )

Second.. I would talk to your boss in confidence and explain that some company is trying to collect a debt from you..that you dont know what the hell they are talking about and that you have asked them to prove it. Then explain to him that they are trying to get him and his company to break federal law for them.

Im sure your boss wont be amused at their attempts to put him in the legal hot seat.