Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

employment offer got pulled after credit pulled

The last post in this topic was posted 5242 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Just an update, I got the call today!!!They offered me the job, said they were willing to overlook the credit issues,impressed with the qualifications!I guess a persons personal qualifications may outweigh the credit problems. Good luck to anyone in this situation, and remember to be as honest as you can and that may help ya in the long run. Thanks hismom, for the advice.

CONGRATULATIONS JLTHACKER. ;) I'm glad it worked out and good luck with the new job!

Just an update, I got the call today!!!.......

COngrats! Your method worked. There is not a right or wrong...

As for mines?.... I briefly met w/the CFO last week...and two things happened that I thought were positive; 1. He agreed to see me w/o appt that day, and 2. Said I was still the most qualified, even after an extra week of interviewing. As per his request, I emailed him and cc the Pres. explaing my case. I basically told him and said in the letter, " Just as we make business decisions in daily business, I made a business decision not to dislose at the time." Email was about a page long, .... very well put out I believe... I told themn reason not disclosed , AFTER much thought, was b/c bky was 74 months old, almost the 7 years, and I understood their concern, etc... offering them at the end an extended probationary period, if they desired. Employment agency thought it was thorough and to the point..I should hear something this coming week.

He said their real concern was the bky, as it is written in co. policy... the slow credit in the past wasn't the real issue.

Regrets for not telling them originally? No, I wouldn't have gotten passed the first interview , I think...as that IS the person behind the BKY rule, which is retiring....so not sure how easy it will be for him, even now, to change his mind. Employment agency now has background, reason behind it, etc.. os if I dn't get this job offer, and I am put out to another client, I will confer with agency on this issue..

We'll see... :( THey are no with that position empty two weeks and definitely need it filled asap. I don't know if post Wed when I tt them, they have interviewed more or employ agy has sent new applicants....

GEORGE i was gonna reply to your post as you seem to attack my post once again however once again your own words in your own posting of numerous (QUOTES) decribe yourself,and once again your post has not one thing to do with the topic. so please refer to the topics at hand ,if i make a mistake i,m willing to acknowledge it ,we all can learn from mistakes, if we are willing. but you could be the nonwilling, from now on i will ignore any of your biased opions, nor waste any efforts to make any reply,s. thank you for your biased opion

IN ENGLISH PLEASE!!!

You puttin' me on IGNORE???

IF SO...ENJOY!!!

Like it or not, generally a credit report IS a fairly decent measure of a how a person manages responsibilities.

Sure doesn't help the case to not be honest in an interview.

BS on the first part of your post

have to agree with you on the second part.

;) So based on your response to the other poster, if a person is unemployed for X time and can't pay their bills.... credit gets s.c.rewed, that credit report is a fair assesment on how someone mgs responsiblites? In most cases I assume it is since so many companies, insurance etc use it, but there are exceptions.... I don't agree its a fair assessment, there are many reasons people don't pay their bills and credit gets shot...

Like it or not, generally a credit report IS a fairly decent measure of a how a person manages responsibilities.

;) So based on your response to the other poster, if a person is unemployed for X time and can't pay their bills.... credit gets s.c.rewed, that credit report is a fair assesment on how someone mgs responsiblites? In most cases I assume it is since so many companies, insurance etc use it, but there are exceptions.... I don't agree its a fair assessment, there are many reasons people don't pay their bills and credit gets shot...

i know youre talking to the moral minority that first posted we wont say their name. but you are right ... there are many reasons why someones credit goes to pot unemployment just being one of them. while i understand why you werent forthcoming on the bk issue i bet you would be working now had you brought it up instead of them. either way good luck on the job and unlike some other nitwits who live by "DO AS I SAY AND NOT AS I DO" I support your endeavor

Not all people file BK because they went out and racked up a lot of debt and then tried to walk away from it. People file BK for ALL KINDS of different reasons that may not necessarily have anything to do with mismanagement.

In my situation, I was in management working for Adelphia. One day out of the blue, my manager walked into my office and said the FTC was shutting down our company because John Rigas had been caught bilking millions of dollars from the company. I had two hours to clean out my desk, notify my construction crews to drop their network build in 3 major cities, and tell our customers they had to find new service. I panicked because I KNEW that without my salary my husband & I could not afford our house, cars, bills, etc... My husband (a funeral director/embalmer) applied for a job at another funeral home who would give us housing. They jumped at the chance to hire him and asked us to put our house up for sale immediately. The day before we were to move into the funeral home, they called him and said they'd "changed their minds" about hiring him. Within a heartbeat, both of us were unemployed. Because he had technically "quit" his job to go to the other funeral home, he was not eligible for unemployment. The funeral home he'd just left was angry that he'd quit and wouldn't take him back... It took us almost 6 months to find employment! Within that time, our creditors refused to work with us even though we'd never been late before... A bankruptcy attorney convinced us that our only alternative was to file CH 7. Not knowing any better...we did. In hindsight (and MUCH MORE educated...) it was absolutely RIDICULOUS because our situation could have been handled MUCH differently if we had only known... I lost everything I had but that was NOTHING compared to how I felt about myself for having to file BK. However, it just goes to show that there are a lot of reasons people file BK...and it isn't always due to mismanagement of your finances!

In my opinion, one's credit report isn't indicative of how they will perform at their job. Their have been many with good credit that have bilked their company right into the ditch. Basically, shat happens, and sometimes people's credit will suffer. A bad worker? No. Hard times? Yes. I have an enormous problem with companies abusing the public becuase of something in their credit file that isn't even related. I guess the question is, where will we, as consumers draw the line?? It is a "credit" history report, not an "employment performance" history report or "How you may operate a motor vehicle" history report. Sheesh, whatever happened to calling personal references???

:grin: So based on your response to the other poster, if a person is unemployed for X time and can't pay their bills.... credit gets s.c.rewed, that credit report is a fair assesment on how someone mgs responsiblites? In most cases I assume it is since so many companies, insurance etc use it, but there are exceptions.... I don't agree its a fair assessment, there are many reasons people don't pay their bills and credit gets shot...

Unfortunately, the above has been known to happen in the world of security clearances. More common than you would suspect, are individuals losing their jobs after a big defense layoff and unable to get security clearances due to bad credit. I know of more than one person who simply won't bother with the hassle of getting a security clearance.

In my opinion, one's credit report isn't indicative of how they will perform at their job. Their have been many with good credit that have bilked their company right into the ditch. Basically, shat happens, and sometimes people's credit will suffer. A bad worker? No. Hard times? Yes. I have an enormous problem with companies abusing the public becuase of something in their credit file that isn't even related. I guess the question is, where will we, as consumers draw the line?? It is a "credit" history report, not an "employment performance" history report or "How you may operate a motor vehicle" history report. Sheesh, whatever happened to calling personal references???

NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT

NEVER HAD A CLAIM

NEVER MISSED A DAY AT WORK IN 20+ YEARS

WON SEVERAL AWARDS AT WORK

QUIT PREVIOUS JOB BECAUSE SPOUSE WAS TRANSFERRED TO THIS NEW STATE

APPLICANT HAS POOR CREDIT DUE TO FAMILY MEDICAL REASONS (doesn't really matter why)

APPLICANT DENIED EMPLOYMENT!!!

INSURANCE RATES ARE ALSO HIGH RISK!!!

(because of all those accidents and claims that never happened)

Edited by GEORGE

NEVER HAD A ACCIDENT

NEVER HAD A CLAIM

APPLICANT HAS POOR CREDIT DUE TO FAMILY MEDICAL REASONS (doesn't really matter why)

I KNOW I'm probably going to be ROASTED for this...but the only reason the insurance industry gets away with rating you on your credit is because they've produced statistics (junk science if you ask me...) that those people with a lower credit rating most likely suffer from financial problems...and those with financial problems are more likely to file a claim. This is their reasoning - if you get into a little fender bender that costs $1000 to fix, someone with financial problems is more likely to file the claim to get that money than someone who doesn't have financial problems. Skewed reasoning...I AGREE! But that is where they are coming from...

That's why I mentioned earlier that 100% of any "quick quote" is based SOLELY on your credit score (not your FICO score, but your score after they run it through their proprietary algorithm) and has NOTHING to do with your driving record or previous claims history. It's only AFTER you agree to pursue with them further that they pull those items and "adjust" your final premium amount.

:blush2: So based on your response to the other poster, if a person is unemployed for X time and can't pay their bills.... credit gets s.c.rewed, that credit report is a fair assesment on how someone mgs responsiblites? In most cases I assume it is since so many companies, insurance etc use it, but there are exceptions.... I don't agree its a fair assessment, there are many reasons people don't pay their bills and credit gets shot...

Unfortunately, the above has been known to happen in the world of security clearances. More common than you would suspect, are individuals losing their jobs after a big defense layoff and unable to get security clearances due to bad credit. I know of more than one person who simply won't bother with the hassle of getting a security clearance.

Absolutely not true. There are people that have been able to maintain or to get security clearances with BKs. The adjudicators look for an honest attempt at reconciling your debts. If you were to live beyond your means, rack up all sorts of debt, and make no attempts to work with creditors to reconcile the debts then yes you will get denied or have your clearance revoked. Also a pattern of excessive spending will also trigger scrutiny by investigators. They are looking for a pattern of an individual where they will be susceptible to coercion by a foreign intel service. Most espianage cases were a result of monetary gains. How I know about all this? I've been in the cleared environment for most of my professional career (about 13 years now.) If you want to know who gets denied or who gets cleared, you can read through this link: http://www.defenselink.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/ This is the published records of cases that have reached a court hearing for one reason or another. These cases are on appeal. Some of the decisions get reversed some are upheld. All the reasonings for the court decisions are listed in black and white with the appropriate federal statutes listed to arrive at the decisions. Only the names of the individuals have been stripped off the records for privacy issues.

Edited by zx10 guy

Absolutely not true.  There are people that have been able to maintain or to get security clearances with BKs.

Yup...I got a security clearance back in the 1990s with a BK on my record...I disclosed it on my application for the clearance...got the clearance no problem!

zx10 guy is most definitely correct. Ironically, I'm a Staff Accountant and FSO, so I've seen plenty of this in my experience. In addition to what zx10guy said, they are also scrutinizing your honesty, so even if you've got some black spots in your history (credit or otherwise), honesty really is the best policy!

NEVER HAD A ACCIDENT

NEVER HAD A CLAIM

I KNOW I'm probably going to be ROASTED for this...but the only reason the insurance industry gets away with rating you on your credit is because they've produced statistics (junk science if you ask me...) that those people with a lower credit rating most likely suffer from financial problems...and those with financial problems are more likely to file a claim. This is their reasoning - if you get into a little fender bender that costs $1000 to fix, someone with financial problems is more likely to file the claim to get that money than someone who doesn't have financial problems. Skewed reasoning...I AGREE! But that is where they are coming from...

That's why I mentioned earlier that 100% of any "quick quote" is based SOLELY on your credit score (not your FICO score, but your score after they run it through their proprietary algorithm) and has NOTHING to do with your driving record or previous claims history. It's only AFTER you agree to pursue with them further that they pull those items and "adjust" your final premium amount.

YOU HAVE NO TICKETS...ACCIDENTS...or CLAIMS...THEY (INSURANCE COMPANY) CAN'T RIP YOU OFF UNLESS THEY GET YOU RIP YOU OFF BECAUSE YOU HAVE POOR CREDIT!!!

Edited by GEORGE

zx10 guy is most definitely correct. Ironically, I'm a Staff Accountant and FSO, so I've seen plenty of this in my experience. In addition to what zx10guy said, they are also scrutinizing your honesty, so even if you've got some black spots in your history (credit or otherwise), honesty really is the best policy!

Yup. Because they will find out things about you and will most likely catch any inconsistencies. Honesty is extremely important in the security clearance process as it also shows that you are not susceptible to blackmail due to things you are embarassed about. Also, lying is a clear sign of a willingness for deception which is also bad when you're being entrusted with national secrets.

I can't speak for others but I have seen cases of one having difficulty getting their security clearance back after a financial setback due to job loss.

While I agree that if you are honest and forthright then that will help matters but the phrase of "living beyond's one means" is correct if you trully live beyond your means when times are good, unfortunately that phrase can be interperted to be almost anything when you have no income coming in at all.

After the post cold war meltdown, more than one ex defense engineer PERMANENTLY left the field and does not want the hassle of getting their clearance back.

If you go into the cleared world then you can definitely expect your credit to be thoroughly checked. One fact that everyone probably agrees with is if any questions do come up in clearance process then you need to be honest and forthright.

Hmm, after reading some further on here... going forward and they ask me, I think I will just tell the script I emailed and see what happens....wtf...

I have something else lined up, so by mon-tues if they get back ot me, I might not want "them" now, lol... time will tell.

GEORGE i was gonna reply to your post as you seem to attack my post once again however once again your own words in your own posting of numerous (QUOTES) decribe yourself,and once again your post has not one thing to do with the topic. so please refer to the topics at hand ,if i make a mistake i,m willing to acknowledge it ,we all can learn from mistakes, if we are willing. but you could be the nonwilling, from now on i will ignore any of your biased opions, nor waste any efforts to make any reply,s. thank you for your biased opion

Does anyone have a decoder ring handy? Another George lover strikes again.

George is right, if they can't look past a financial mistake you made 6 years ago, then you don't want to work for them anyway.

If you wanted to I'm sure you could even sue them for pulling the offer like that.

Doubtable...it really depends if it's a right to work state. In VA, you or the employer can terminate the relationship at any time for just about any reason, without ramifications (other than discrimination or if other contracts like signing bonuses are in place, of course).

Um why is this thread pulled up

LOL I didn't even check the date of the OP. Just following in someone else's footprints I guess.

George is right, if they can't look past a financial mistake you made 6 years ago, then you don't want to work for them anyway.

If you wanted to I'm sure you could even sue them for pulling the offer like that.

Wow, I was getting into the story, and here it has been over for months.

Oh well, guess I gotta learn to read dates.

Edited by pksdpt

The last post in this topic was posted 5242 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.