Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Question for Discussion

The last post in this topic was posted 5358 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

What interest and fees were agreed to WITH THE CA?

YOU did when you decided to use credit.  By having others extend you credit, you agreeded to the the laws that govern credit.

Section 808(1) allows "The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law."

"Authorized by the agreement creating the debt" means the card agreement or contract. 

If you disagree with this, I suggest destroying all your credit cards and make all purchases using cash.

I had a credit card go from $1200 to almost $2k because of fees, etc.  It was allowed by law, and no one's fault but mine that it got that high.  And yes, I paid the entire balance due.

ok...so if the account is stil with the OC, and not charged off, then the interest is allowed...but where does it say that a CA can tack on interest on an account for which the original contract is no longer in force?

The FCRA says that a debt collector (not just the OC) can add interest fees, etc.

Try reading the FCRA from an objective point of view, not just looking for what violations you can catch a OC/CA on.

If you disagree with it, put your efforts into getting the law changed.

Okay, lets do a hypothetical scenario here:

Let's say Acme Phone Company says I owe them $62. I know I paid that bill and refuse to pay it again. They turn the alleged debt over to ABC CA who now claims I owe $300.

Is this a legitimate debt? If you are including these type of scenarios in with your "legitimate debt" theory than I can see where you're getting your numbers. Those of us who know better are aware this exact scenario gets posted here all the time. These are not legitimate debts, no matter how much spin you try to attach.

Of course that's not a legitimate debt. Sure that happens often, but most of the problems people have with CAs do come from legitimate debts.

wow..  this is some thread...  i just had to add my two cents..  i think the biggest injustice is that if you are late just one time...  even if you pay the late fees.....  and if you go bad on a loan or cc or anything.. and you do all you can to pay it back as soon as possible...  they still screw you for 7 years!!!  doesnt matter how much you pay or anything... they want to make you screwed for 7 years...  now if they screw up and you notice it on your report...  you have to call and beg and write good will letters and dispute and pray that it gets corrected...  and if i dont.. still screwed.. still 7 years.  its like a drivers license.. they say its a privelage... but for most of us its a necessity...  and cant put a roof over my kids head without good credit...  i cant earn a paycheck if i cant get to my job..  most places you need to drive the ability to walk to work for most is not possible.  as most of us live atleast 10+ miles from work.  people commit crimes, go to prison and get out with a new life for less than 7 years.  you cant even rent a decent apt if your scores arent in the high 600's.  ok i will get off my soapbox for now... just had to vent that out... hee heee

I agree. There should be reform on the lenght of time that something is reported. Seven years is WAY too long.

I agree with that...

but there's MUCH more that should be modified when it comes to reporting and collections...there's a thread I started awhile back about talking with a state rep concerning the changes that are needed...including making FDCPA 10k PER VIOLATION...that would make the criminal CAs start obeying the law, or go out of business

I totally agree with you that CA's that violate the law should be punished.

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart. If you owe a debt, you should pay it.

Awesome glad you feel that way OP

Go back and pay the people you filed BK on . Bet they will love you for it.

Not all of us are here because of credit card debt, some are here because an OC screwed up when reporting.

Deby

BK is a right we have, and the only legal way we have to not pay a debt.

That is my whole point. The effort should be on getting things reported correctly, not on deletion/not paying.

So you agree that the CA should follow the FCRA...and when they don't, they should be appropiately called to task over their failure.

Why should I do the CAs job for them? THEY know how it should be reporting, but they're betting that we as consumers do not....that's THEIR problem...

Why are you so concerned about your BK reporting?

Why do you care if TU verifies everything? Since you DID file BK...it should report as such....who cares if it's accurate? You DID file BK, right? So why this thread?

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=137548&hl=

and why this one?

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=135963&hl=

or this one:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=136169&hl=

or this:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=134625&hl=

why is it ok for YOU to get items deleted due to a "technicality", but not others?

YOU did when you decided to use credit.  By having others extend you credit, you agreeded to the the laws that govern credit.

Section 808(1) allows "The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law."

"Authorized by the agreement creating the debt" means the card agreement or contract. 

If you disagree with this, I suggest destroying all your credit cards and make all purchases using cash.

I had a credit card go from $1200 to almost $2k because of fees, etc.  It was allowed by law, and no one's fault but mine that it got that high.  And yes, I paid the entire balance due.

ok...so if the account is stil with the OC, and not charged off, then the interest is allowed...but where does it say that a CA can tack on interest on an account for which the original contract is no longer in force?

The FCRA says that a debt collector (not just the OC) can add interest fees, etc.

Try reading the FCRA from an objective point of view, not just looking for what violations you can catch a OC/CA on.

Ok...so the FCRA!?!?!? Says they can add interest? Can you show me WHERE that is?

Let's say Acme Phone Company says I owe them $62. I know I paid that bill and refuse to pay it again. They turn the alleged debt over to ABC CA who now claims I owe $300.

Is this a legitimate debt? If you are including these type of scenarios in with your "legitimate debt" theory than I can see where you're getting your numbers. Those of us who know better are aware this exact scenario gets posted here all the time. These are not legitimate debts, no matter how much spin you try to attach.

Of course that's not a legitimate debt. Sure that happens often, but most of the problems people have with CAs do come from legitimate debts.

but that's MOST of the CA "debt" that's discussed here...

wow..  this is some thread...  i just had to add my two cents..  i think the biggest injustice is that if you are late just one time...  even if you pay the late fees.....  and if you go bad on a loan or cc or anything.. and you do all you can to pay it back as soon as possible...  they still screw you for 7 years!!!  doesnt matter how much you pay or anything... they want to make you screwed for 7 years...  now if they screw up and you notice it on your report...  you have to call and beg and write good will letters and dispute and pray that it gets corrected...  and if i dont.. still screwed.. still 7 years.  its like a drivers license.. they say its a privelage... but for most of us its a necessity...  and cant put a roof over my kids head without good credit...  i cant earn a paycheck if i cant get to my job..  most places you need to drive the ability to walk to work for most is not possible.  as most of us live atleast 10+ miles from work.  people commit crimes, go to prison and get out with a new life for less than 7 years.  you cant even rent a decent apt if your scores arent in the high 600's.  ok i will get off my soapbox for now... just had to vent that out... hee heee

I agree. There should be reform on the lenght of time that something is reported. Seven years is WAY too long.

I agree with that...

but there's MUCH more that should be modified when it comes to reporting and collections...there's a thread I started awhile back about talking with a state rep concerning the changes that are needed...including making FDCPA 10k PER VIOLATION...that would make the criminal CAs start obeying the law, or go out of business

I totally agree with you that CA's that violate the law should be punished.

Then what do you disagree with? MOST of the CAs violate the law on a DAILY basis...

That is my whole point.  The effort should be on getting things reported correctly, not on deletion/not paying.

So, if BK is a right, and deletion is a right (per the FCRA), why are you even posting?

I am posting because most people on here seem to be more interested in getting something deleted than paying it.

Come on now, you go buy something at Dillards that costs $2k. You don't pay and it goes to a CA. The CA reports the open date on the account as 10/01 when it was really 11/01. Can you honestly say that justifies (a) not paying the debt and (B) getting it deleted?

I had a credit card go from $1200 to almost $2k because of fees, etc. It was allowed by law, and no one's fault but mine that it got that high. And yes, I paid the entire balance due.If you paid the "entire" balance due-- was this BEFORE you did your BK-- or were these debts you ran up AFTER your BK??

It was after...when I was laid off. Not that it is any of your business.

I think the OP is entitled to voice their opinion, however, they are not entitled to judge others, which is what they are doing. I personally filed CH 13, so I am paying my debts. My battle with the CRA's is simply to assure that my reports are accurate now that I have a chance to rebuild my financial life the right way. Having a record removed from your CR has to do with accuracy not payment.

but that's MOST of the CA "debt" that's discussed here...

Exactly. Case closed, I'm done debating this. If I want to read threads with this type of slant I'll go over to ci.com.

I guess CB was due for this same carbon copy thread of the month. It's been what, a month since the last same original post get thrown on this board and the same responses followed?

B)

Edited by TrevorHere

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart. If you owe a debt, you should pay it.

Awesome glad you feel that way OP

Go back and pay the people you filed BK on . Bet they will love you for it.

Not all of us are here because of credit card debt, some are here because an OC screwed up when reporting.

Deby

That is my whole point. The effort should be on getting things reported correctly, not on deletion/not paying.

So you agree that the CA should follow the FCRA...and when they don't, they should be appropiately called to task over their failure.

Why should I do the CAs job for them? THEY know how it should be reporting, but they're betting that we as consumers do not....that's THEIR problem...

Why are you so concerned about your BK reporting?

Why do you care if TU verifies everything? Since you DID file BK...it should report as such....who cares if it's accurate? You DID file BK, right? So why this thread?

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=137548&hl=

and why this one?

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=135963&hl=

or this one:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=136169&hl=

or this:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=134625&hl=

why is it ok for YOU to get items deleted due to a "technicality", but not others?

If you had bothered to read my original post carefully, I admitted that I was like you people and wanted to get things deleted, when in fact they were mine. I also said that I am having a change of heart.

Ok...so the FCRA!?!?!? Says they can add interest? Can you show me WHERE that is?

I already did. READ Section 808 paragraph (1).

FCRA

A newbie's opinion

The government needs to enforce the regulations that are on the books for collections of debts and debtor abuse.

Also, the FICO scoring should be "Unpaid collection/charge off = BAD" "Paid collection/charge off = GOOD". This seems more reasonable. It shows the debtor ran into problems and then did the responsible thing.

I tried (before I found CB) to call my original creditors and offer to pay in full for favorable reporting. Guess how many took me up on my offer? NONE!!

I will NEVER pay a penny to a CA. I don't care if the put me in debtor's prison, boil me in oil and then throw me in a dumpster!!

(I'm very brave now that all my accounts are past SOL!!!

Is everyone's motivation either not to pay their debts, or to get stuff off their CBR when it actually is a debt they didn't pay?

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.  However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

Shouldn't the real movtivation be to fiqure out how to pay things and to make sure they are being reported correctly to the CRAs? 

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right.  You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

We all made the decision to use the credit we were given, and we agreed to the interest, late fees, overlimit fees, etc. 

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills.  I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions.  I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

I took the time to read your prior posts before responding.

Since YOU apparently chose BK to "get out of the responsibility of paying your debts" I am confused about your present post.

As to those who choose NOT to take BK, and choose NOT to pay a CA for a debt that was NOT incurred with the CA and where NO agreement on interest late fees etc. was ever made with the CA, and where NOTHING paid to any CA will serve any purpose other than to enrich whatever coffers the CA pays their profits to,I see NO problem-- in fact I say NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY ANY CA A RED CENT

:grin::blink::blink::)

Ok...so the FCRA!?!?!? Says they can add interest?  Can you show me WHERE that is?

I already did.  READ Section 808 paragraph (1).

FCRA

That's not the FCRA. That's the FDCPA. And they are referring to the OC's original contract. It doesn't say that the CA can add interest, fees, etc...Those fees must already be intact/accrued by the OC before reaching the CA.

IMHO.

Edited by tmimages

Well, this brought on some lively debate. That was my intention. Thanks to all that posted. Remember to thank a vetern who served our country and remember those that gave their life doing so. We are truely blessed to live in a country where we can express our opinions.

Well, this brought on some lively debate.  That was my intention.  Thanks to all that posted.  Remember to thank a vetern who served our country and remember those that gave their life doing so.  We are truely blessed to live in a country where we can express our opinions.

I thank Veterans everyday for people like you.

I already did. READ Section 808 paragraph (1).

FCRA

ummm...FCRA doesn't have anything to do with consumer debt or the interest...

Well, this brought on some lively debate.  That was my intention.  Thanks to all that posted.  Remember to thank a vetern who served our country and remember those that gave their life doing so.  We are truely blessed to live in a country where we can express our opinions.

Actually you should remember to thank the moderating team who allowed this travesty of entertainment continue for your Saturday evening entertainment.

The last post in this topic was posted 5358 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.