Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Question for Discussion

The last post in this topic was posted 5349 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)

I understand what you're saying about CAs. I don't think that was the point the OP was making.

For example, say I loan you $20. You end up blowing me off. I have to ask you to pay me back.

Are you going to make me prove it even though you still remember borrowing that $20?

I totally agree...but where has anyone here ever said "You owe the money, but don't bother paying it back"

no one has said "Hey, I bought furniture, now I don't want to pay it" (well, actually, the other day someone wanted to get out of a 4500 Visa debt...we slapped him down) and gotten help doing it...but if a CA or OC adds illegal interest/fees, darn tootin we're gonna try to point that consumer in the right direction to enforce his or her rights...

You obviously haven't been a victim of a JDB yet.

Sort of but that's beside the point. The point is the bulk of the debts discussed here aren't due to being "a victim".

I disagree. I can find plenty of posts where CAs have tacked on ridiculous amounts to debts. I recall one Capital One account that the OP owed $352 on. By time a CA got a hold of it, they were demanding over $2000. That's the type of abuse most people here deal with day in and day out.

I won't disagree that there are debtors who abuse the system (my sister is one of those) but to characterize the majority of CBers as people trying to get out of "legitimate debts" is just plain wrong.

"I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)"

Valid to the letter of the law.

Again, let's get real. If people paid their debts, the CAs would be out of business.

Most CA contact stems from people not paying their debts. Sure the CA might not be following the law or have the figures screwed up but in almost all cases, it can all be traced back to an actual valid debt.

I totally agree...but where has anyone here ever said "You owe the money, but don't bother paying it back"

no one has said "Hey, I bought furniture, now I don't want to pay it" (well, actually, the other day someone wanted to get out of a 4500 Visa debt...we slapped him down) and gotten help doing it...but if a CA or OC adds illegal interest/fees, darn tootin we're gonna try to point that consumer in the right direction to enforce his or her rights...

Again, nobody is going to outright say that here. Because it'd make them look bad. It's pretty much implied most of the time.

"I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)"

Again, let's get real.  If people paid their debts, the CAs would be out of business.

Most CA contact stems from people not paying their debts. Sure the CA might not be following the law or have the figures screwed up but in almost all cases, it can all be traced back to an actual valid debt.=

And if a CA would follow the law, this board wouldn't be necessary...

if more consumers were educated about their rights, CAs would be out of business too, which would be a WONDERFUL thing

the red bolded part is IMPORTANT...

if the CA would follow the law, and not screw up the figures, and be able to prove it...then the consumer SHOULD pay it...however, I have NEVER seen that...in the THOUSANDS of CA TLs/accounts I've seen...NEVER...not once...therefore, it is NOT a valid debt...not by ANY stretch of the imagination...

Edited by pryan67

Again, nobody is going to outright say that here. Because it'd make them look bad. It's pretty much implied most of the time.

I haven't even seen it implied...can you provide links? Something where the CA/OC has been able to legitiamtely prove the alleged debt...

Again, let's get real.  If people paid their debts, the CAs would be out of business.

Most CA contact stems from people not paying their debts.  Sure the CA might not be following the law or have the figures screwed up but in almost all cases, it can all be traced back to an actual valid debt.

You are way off here. A lot of people get contacted by CA/JDBs on bills they don't even owe. In my case, I had a vehicle that was destroyed. My auto insurance paid a good part of the loan off, my gap insurance covered the rest. Then eight years later I start to be hounded by JDBs for the entire amount of the loan plus obscene interest.

If you did some reading here, you would find mine is not an isolated case.

I haven't even seen it implied...can you provide links? Something where the CA/OC has been able to legitiamtely prove the alleged debt...

Do you remember the smackdown the one guy got for trying to get advice on how to get out of a debt he rung up playing the stock market?

Most who show up here trying to manipulate the system are caught onto right away. Trying to imply most CBers are trying to get out of legitimate debts is a stretch.

the FACT is that 2/3s of people that file BK are middle class and do so because of medical bills.

That is not a FACT. The BK refrom opponents tried to make it sound that way but the truth was that medical bills were just included in many BKs, not the reason for them.

Look, I'll spare you the details of my life but I feel if I can pay my way, anyone can. I'm a firm believer in that.

Most CA contact stems from people not paying their debts.  Sure the CA might not be following the law or have the figures screwed up but in almost all cases, it can all be traced back to an actual valid debt.

You are so not getting the point. ;)

The OC is the entity for which the debtor (consumer) should have a valid contract. When the OC mistakenly sells or assigns a debt to a CA, the debtor does not necessarily have an obligation to pay that new company. So...that debt is not valid anymore. The original debt may actually have already been paid, incorrectly handled, mistakenly assigned, or abused enough by the OC making it impossible to repay. Then what about JDB's who illegally sell a paid collection to another JDB and try to reage and collect again? There are not enough laws governing the actions of CA's and JDB's to prevent fraud. So, we use what we have, the FCRA and the FDCPA.

You are way off here. A lot of people get contacted by CA/JDBs on bills they don't even owe. In my case, I had a vehicle that was destroyed. My auto insurance paid a good part of the loan off, my gap insurance covered the rest. Then eight years later I start to be hounded by JDBs for the entire amount of the loan plus obscene interest.

What percentage of cases do you think fall into what you're describing? 1%? 5%?

The majority of debt disccusions here are related to consumer debts. Valid debts at that.

I fully understand where you're coming from but I don't think that's the issue the OP(however ironically) was trying to make.

Is everyone's motivation either not to pay their debts, or to get stuff off their CBR when it actually is a debt they didn't pay?

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.  However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

Shouldn't the real movtivation be to fiqure out how to pay things and to make sure they are being reported correctly to the CRAs? 

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right.  You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

We all made the decision to use the credit we were given, and we agreed to the interest, late fees, overlimit fees, etc. 

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills.  I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions.  I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

WHO IS CBR???

I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)

I understand what you're saying about CAs. I don't think that was the point the OP was making.

For example, say I loan you $20. You end up blowing me off. I have to ask you to pay me back.

Are you going to make me prove it even though you still remember borrowing that $20?

WHAT??? Didn't you post earlier that if a CA can't "prove" a debt to you, it isn't valid.

So let me use your "logic". Prove to me that I owe you and I will pay you. You are a joke.

Here is a way to avoid interest and fees that may have been tacked on to your balance, pay on time and never let it get to a CA in the first place.

You sound like a professional "victim" who believes nothing is his fault.

Is everyone's motivation either not to pay their debts, or to get stuff off their CBR when it actually is a debt they didn't pay?

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.  However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

Shouldn't the real movtivation be to fiqure out how to pay things and to make sure they are being reported correctly to the CRAs? 

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right.  You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

We all made the decision to use the credit we were given, and we agreed to the interest, late fees, overlimit fees, etc. 

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills.  I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions.  I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

WHO IS CBR???

Credit Bureau Report

WHAT??? Didn't you post earlier that if a CA can't "prove" a debt to you, it isn't valid.

So let me use your "logic". Prove to me that I owe you and I will pay you. You are a joke.

Here is a way to avoid interest and fees that may have been tacked on to your balance, pay on time and never let it get to a CA in the first place.

You sound like a professional "victim" who believes nothing is his fault.

and I'll use YOUR logic (and that of every CA I know of) You KNOW you owe it...so pay it...

here's a way to avoid getting sued for all the CAs out there...follow the laws...and be able to prove what you claim...

I'm not a joke...but I DO know some funny ones...

I'm not a professional victim...on the contrary...I take full responsibility for my actions...always...I know you haven't been around here much...possibly you've been at CI, but this place is different...we respect the law here...and do our best to follow it, and to enforce our rights...unlike CAs of course...

Tell me...imagine you're a CA...what "logic" would you use to claim that a debt for 500 bucks is now 1500...after a year...interest? Fees? What interest and fees were agreed to WITH THE CA?

What percentage of cases do you think fall into what you're describing? 1%? 5%?

The majority of debt disccusions here are related to consumer debts. Valid debts at that.

I fully understand where you're coming from but I don't think that's the issue the OP(however ironically) was trying to make.

actually, that scenario is VERY common...I'd venture to say more than 25%...and even 1% is FAR too many...

How about another percentage or two...just a guess from you or the OP will suffice...

what percentage of debts in the hands of CAs are fully validated upon request from a consumer?

What percentage of CAs follow the law 100% (or even 90%) of the time when called on to do so by consumers?

Wasnt My INTENTION to BLOW OFF DEBT just increase a scoring system which I find UNJUST and INCOMPETENT  as If I did such a poor job in my office I am sure I would be unemployed quickly!!!

Your bleeding heart philospohy is great in your point of life BUT some of us who are just starting repairing as YOU ALREADY DID than should we not be able to dispute or ask for validations as you did from the CRA's??? I NEVERborrowed ant money nor agreed to pay ANY Collection Agency for such transactions so since I didnt borrow I dont pay...they violate I am learning to stand my ground and voice my rights and flex my lawyer suit happy letters and learn to take the power away from their incompentent little hands and put it back where the power of MY REPORTS BELONG!!!!! IN MY CONTROL ITS MINE DARNIT!!!!!!!

Show me a report that is 100% correct and I would pay it!!! Now let me show me MINE and you pay all the INCORRECT ONES?????

Violating my rights is NOT A TECHNICALITY to ME !!!! Thats UNJUST, UNFAIR, INCOMPETENT, IRRESSPONSIBLE, IGNORANT AND AGAINST THE LAW!!! Sorry but Dudley Do Right left the building and aint coming back until CRA"s can do something more responsible and be accountable for the inaccuracies and incompetence that they are showing me as THEIR mistakes COST ME AND MY FAMILY MONEY which being a blue collared worker trying to provide a university savings account and buy a home for my children at outrageous interest rates DUE TO THEIR FALSE INACCURATE RECORDS is a true blessing for some JUST NOT ME!!!!!!!

LET ME CALL YOUR HOUSE AT 3 AM to ask about whether you are working and living at such as such address using this such service and owing this person that amount??

OR Let me call them at their supper time to do this just because we know they would be home from a hard days work and be sitting down with their families BEFORE they have to return to work or off to their SECOND JOB because all the wrong informaation on reports making their interest rates almost to a point where the kneecappers comin over and looking good in comparison

Unpopular with some MAYBE... with me YES!!!! I think you have become overinflated with ego after you did your righteous moves of correcting your reports FIRST THEN making such a LUDICRIOUS statement as I should pay a CA!!! ;)  :rofl:  Now you should go into stand-up comedy with this act :rofl:  :rofl:

More than 25%? No way.

The bulk of debts people are having problems with come from credit cards. Again you are dragging the issue of the CA following the letter of the law into this when that's not really the point.

If people paid their debts, there'd be little need for CAs - true of false?

Most people who always pay their debts will never been contacted by a CA ever in their life - true or false?

Most of the debts CA get involved in are actual valid debts that weren't paid - true or false?

Most of your suggestions never include paying off the debt(even to the OC) - true or false?

When contacted by a CA, most people know exactly what the debt is from no matter how much they can play amnesia - true or false?

What percentage of cases do you think fall into what you're describing? 1%? 5%? Easily 50%. The alleged debts either were never owed, or the CAs tacked on ridiculous penalties and interest.

The majority of debt disccusions here are related to consumer debts. Valid debts at that. And how do you know that? You aren't reading many threads if you are attempting to tell me that the majority of debt threads involve legitimate debts.

I fully understand where you're coming from but I don't think that's the issue the OP(however ironically) was trying to make. I agree with Pryan. Both your and the OPs posts sound like something I would expect to read on ci.com.

Edited by Shawnee

Geez...why come on the credit discussion board if you have those views? Must be a collector or have a serious antagonistic personality disorder.

Pryan you are very funny!

The last post in this topic was posted 5349 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.