Sign in to follow this  
skemo

Question for Discussion

Is everyone's motivation either not to pay their debts, or to get stuff off their CBR when it actually is a debt they didn't pay?

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart. If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR. However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

Shouldn't the real movtivation be to fiqure out how to pay things and to make sure they are being reported correctly to the CRAs?

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right. You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

We all made the decision to use the credit we were given, and we agreed to the interest, late fees, overlimit fees, etc.

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills. I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions. I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

Edited by skemo

Is everyone's motivation either not to pay their debts, or to get stuff off their CBR when it actually is a debt they didn't pay?

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.  However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

Shouldn't the real movtivation be to fiqure out how to pay things and to make sure they are being reported correctly to the CRAs? 

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right.  You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

We all made the decision to use the credit we were given, and we agreed to the interest, late fees, overlimit fees, etc. 

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills.  I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions.  I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

another day another []

Well, I've ALWAYS paid debts that can be proven are mine as reported (well, since my BK)...however...I have yet to see a CA account on a report that's reporting 100% correctly, completely, and verifiably

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.

I think the REAL motivation for the CAs and OCs and CRAs is to report things as required by law...which, as we all know, they do NOT do the VAST majority of the time. If they'd just follow the laws, it wouldn't be an issue

If the debt is yours and you try to get it removed based on a technicality, that just doesn't seem right.  You should be working to get it reporting correctly.

What do you mean by "technicality"? Do you mean the blatant, intentional and repeated violations of a consumer's rights? Why is it OUR job to tell a CA how it should be reported? Shouldn't they already know that? If they don't, then why are they in that business? Is it your job to tell a surgeon how to preform a bypass operation? What about telling your mechanic how to change your brakes?

and the CA made the decision to break the law and violate our rights.

Everyone hates having to deal with CAs and collectors, but it isn't their fault that we didn't pay our bills.  I am in no way condoning the tactics that some of them use.

no...it's NOT their fault that they CLAIM that a bill wasn't paid...but it IS their fault that they decide to not follow the laws that govern their chosen profession

I know my view will be unpopular, but I hope to cause some thought about taking responsibility for our past actions.  I am sure the vast majority will continue to feel justified in "cheating the system".

BTW, you owe me 1509.43....it's for an old credit card....I accept paypal....now pay up...after all, YOU made the decision to not pay your bill...

come on...practice what you preach....

Well, I've ALWAYS paid debts that can be proven are mine as reported (well, since my BK)...however...I have yet to see a CA account on a report that's reporting 100% correctly, completely, and verifiably

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.

I think the REAL motivation for the CAs and OCs and CRAs is to report things as required by law...which, as we all know, they do NOT do the VAST majority of the time. If they'd just follow the laws, it wouldn't be an issue

What do you mean by "technicality"? Do you mean the blatant, intentional and repeated violations of a consumer's rights? Why is it OUR job to tell a CA how it should be reported? Shouldn't they already know that? If they don't, then why are they in that business? Is it your job to tell a surgeon how to preform a bypass operation? What about telling your mechanic how to change your brakes?

and the CA made the decision to break the law and violate our rights.

no...it's NOT their fault that they CLAIM that a bill wasn't paid...but it IS their fault that they decide to not follow the laws that govern their chosen profession

BTW, you owe me 1509.43....it's for an old credit card....I accept paypal....now pay up...after all, YOU made the decision to not pay your bill...

come on...practice what you preach....

Like I said, the vast majority will keep their same views.

well...are you gonna follow your own advice? Are you going to pay the 1509.43 (1785.45 now, with interest and fees since I first notified you of the debt)

NO ONE here (well, VERY few exceptions, and they're shot down quickly) suggests not paying valid, proveable, legitimate debts...

Your ideas have been posted before...and each time I see them, I ask the poster to please show where anyone ever said to not pay a legitimate, proveable, valid debt...

I'll ask you the same question...please show me where anyone has said to blow off a legitimate debt that's been fully validated (for a CA), and that is within SOL

I have 3 baddies on my CR's. YOU tell ME why I should be responsible for paying them:

Voluntary Repo - OC did an illegal reposession. Auctioned off the vehicle during my 10 day right to redeem. By law, I could've redeemed my vehicle. The OC left me no choice but to have a repo reporting on my CR. Now I have a judgment for an illegal repo. CB's helped me realize my rights were violated. Had I known at the time what was happening, I wouldn't have a repo or a judgment!

Medical Collection - OC screwed up the bill. The bill was only paid in part by financial assistance, but somehow left a balance outstanding. Not my fault.

Landlord Collection Agency - Landlord replaced the carpet in my apartment when I moved out. My DW and I spent two whole days scrubbing that apartment spotless when we moved out. Landlord just decided to charge me for a remodel. Not exactly my responsibility.

------------

The point is, you do not know everyone's situation or all of the details. I don't think in general anyone is trying to avoid paying their bills. On the contrary, as Pryan pointed out, we want our rights protected.

I have to admit that I was thinking the same way, but I am starting to have a change of heart.  If you owe a debt, you should pay it. And yes I have no unpaid collections or unpaid closed accts on my CBR.  However, I was trying to get items off my CBR when they really were mine.

I took the time to read your prior posts before responding.

Since YOU apparently chose BK to "get out of the responsibility of paying your debts" I am confused about your present post.

As to those who choose NOT to take BK, and choose NOT to pay a CA for a debt that was NOT incurred with the CA and where NO agreement on interest late fees etc. was ever made with the CA, and where NOTHING paid to any CA will serve any purpose other than to enrich whatever coffers the CA pays their profits to,I see NO problem-- in fact I say NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY ANY CA A RED CENT

I hate to ask such an obvious question, but do you work for a collection agency or junk debt buyer? Your post sounds a lot like the CA/JDB standard spiel, i.e. pay your bills, blah blah blah.

Let's get real. Most of the contact from CAs is for valid debts. Most people know exactly what debt it was, no matter how they can fake amnesia.

In most cases, very little stands in the way of them paying the OC or otherwise settling the debt, even with a PFD.

You're talking a good game Pryan but I know you know the truth of the matter.

In most of the discussions here regarding unpaid debts, even when the poster states it belongs to them, paying it is the last thing on anyones mind. How come I don't see anyone talking about putting the same efforts into paying the debts?

I think if you spent the money, used the services, or otherwise became indebted, you need to pay for it. It doesn't matter how old it was or what your circumstances were. I'm one of the few here glad we had BK reform and think we need a lot more.

I took the time to read your prior posts before responding.

Since YOU apparently chose BK to "get out of the responsibility of paying your debts" I am confused about your present post.

As to those who choose NOT to take BK, and choose NOT to pay a CA for a debt that was NOT incurred with the CA and where NO agreement on interest late fees etc. was ever made with the CA, and where NOTHING paid to any CA will serve any purpose other than to enrich whatever coffers the CA pays their profits to,I see NO problem-- in fact I say NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY ANY CA A RED CENT

Well that sure does make it interesting. The OP can bail on his debts by filing a BK, but the rest of us are supposed to "pay our bills"?

"please show me where anyone has said to blow off a legitimate debt that's been fully validated (for a CA), and that is within SOL"

Of course nobody is going to say that here. However, it seems to be a given anytime unpaid debts are brought up.

Let's get real.  Most of the contact from CAs is for valid debts.  Most people know exactly what debt it was, no matter how they can fake amnesia.

In most cases, very little stands in the way of them paying the OC or otherwise settling the debt, even with a PFD.

In most of the discussions here regarding unpaid debts, even when the poster states it belongs to them, paying it is the last thing on anyones mind.  How come I don't see anyone talking about putting the same efforts into paying the debts?

I think if you spent the money, used the services, or otherwise became indebted, you need to pay for it.  It doesn't matter how old it was or what your circumstances were.  I'm one of the few here glad we had BK reform and think we need a lot more.

You obviously haven't been a victim of a JDB yet.

Well that sure does make it interesting. The OP can bail on his debts by filing a BK, but the rest of us are supposed to "pay our bills"?

LOL. Well that sure is ironic.

:)

Ironic? How is that? I've never filed a BK.

or what your circumstances were. 

:) Good one. Are you for real?

Yup. I personally know plenty of people who've gone BK or otherwise not paid their debts. In fact, I'm owed money by a few. Not a one of them, even the BK'ers truly had circumstances where they couldn't have paid their debts if they really wanted to. Not a one happened through some horrible misfortune like medical problems. They were all through irresponsibility, living above their means, or just outright screwing the system.

Not a one sold anything they bought on credit or got a second job. Filing BK was so much easier. About 1/3 have filed or are working on their 2nd BK.

Let's get real.  Most of the contact from CAs is for valid debts.  Most people know exactly what debt it was, no matter how they can fake amnesia.

If they're for "valid debts", then why can't the CA prove it? Why do they have to resort to "chaudry letters" or affidavits of debt? Why can't they produce legitimate documentation? When did ANYONE open an account with ANY CA? You say the CAs have valid debts...and that people know that...how CAN they know it unless the CA can prove it? You owe ME the same debt that skemo does...now pay up...

I'm not "talking a game"....I DO know the truth of the matter...and so do you...the VAST majority of CAs are at best ignorant when it comes to the knowledge of the laws that govern them...typically though the CA is KNOWINGLY violating the rights of consumers...and they just don't care, because most consumers don't understand thier rights...

If the CAs would just follow the law...it wouldn't be an issue...but they CHOOSE not to...and so they lose...time and time again

In most of the discussions here regarding unpaid debts, even when the poster states it belongs to them, paying it is the last thing on anyones mind.  How come I don't see anyone talking about putting the same efforts into paying the debts?

WHAT debts? You still haven't paid me the 2565.28 you owe me (if you had paid me earlier tonight, it would have been less, but you chose to ignore your valid debt)

Unless a CA can prove it, it's not owed...

I think if you spent the money, used the services, or otherwise became indebted, you need to pay for it.  It doesn't matter how old it was or what your circumstances were.  I'm one of the few here glad we had BK reform and think we need a lot more.

I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)

I agree...you SHOULD pay valid, proveable, legitimate debts...unfortunatley for CAs, virtually NONE of them are (that I've seen)

I understand what you're saying about CAs. I don't think that was the point the OP was making.

For example, say I loan you $20. You end up blowing me off. I have to ask you to pay me back.

Are you going to make me prove it even though you still remember borrowing that $20?

It is great you feel this way. I am glad you are in the financial position to handle anything that comes your way. I, for one, was not prepared for the over $10,000 bill from the hospital that came after a doctor admitted my son to the hospital when it really was not necessary. I hope you do not live in an area that is so small that you could not sue the doctor or the hospital because you could possibly get substandard care in the future. I, personally, was not prepared for the hospital to sue ME after they rejected my offer of $200/mo., which is really all my family could afford.

Hopefully, one day, I will be in the same position as you. Your topic is not controversial, just ignorant. the FACT is that 2/3s of people that file BK are middle class and do so because of medical bills.

Edited by pastpolls

"please show me where anyone has said to blow off a legitimate debt that's been fully validated (for a CA), and that is within SOL"

Of course nobody is going to say that here.  However, it seems to be a given anytime unpaid debts are brought up.

You mean like the debt you owe me?

Nobody's going to say that here because it's not what this board is all about...it's about consumers rights...and how they're regularly violated...

Sort of but that's beside the point. The point is the bulk of the debts discussed here aren't due to being "a victim".

intriguing answer...."sort of"...not sure what that means...but it's likely not pertinant....

EVERYONE that's contacted by a JDB or CA and has their rights violated (the vast VAST majority that is) is a victim...

what we NEED is CA reform...there needs to be STRONGER laws governing the CA industry...right now there's no teeth in the law...and JDBs and CAs constantly get away with using deception and intimidation to steal from consumers...

I once had a good credit rating, then guess what, I got sick and could no longer work. All that hard work I did in trying to keep my credit rating good went down the drain, into a black hole whatever.

I had even put a 2nd mortgage on my place to pay some of the bills.

I have cut out all the luxuries in life in the past 4 years, no cable, no video rentals, no going out to eat, using the fireplace for heat in the winter to keep my elec. down, doing without phone and internet for almost 2 years. And, with the exeption of the phone and internet, I still do not have those luxuries and probably will not for a very long time.

Now, you tell me, when the hospital and doctors DO NOT file their claims with the insurance company and send the accounts to a CA, am I liable for that?????

If you had insurance and the the doc or hospital fails to file with the insurance, would you pay it??? I think not.

I guess I should have just filed BK, then I wouldn't be in your "deadbeat list"

Of course nobody is going to say that here.  However, it seems to be a given anytime unpaid debts are brought up.

Almost All of my "CR" derogs were mediacl account.

I carry Good insurrance, HMO/PPO type.

Means their is a contract between the HCP and my Insurrance companies..

I receive discounts that I am not to be charged/collected on.

They are required to code and bill the Insurance claim correctly (I only use in network providers so they file the claims as per agreements).

Is it my fault someone drops the ball on thier side? Codes it incorrectly..(example: a Annual Exam covered 100% as a "Office vist" not so covered 100%), or forgets to file the insuarance claim and then sends it to collections for either of those reasosn?

Then on my report they are listed as "Paid After Charge Off, setled for Less the full Balance, past due installment"? etc..

For their errors I get low credit scores and higher cost of credit via interst rates etc..?

I challenge the listeings with the CR's and asked for validaiton..never receive the later but they veriy the former..So whos wrong here? surely not me...

Took me to either threaten to sue or to finailly sue if they called my bluff and I was nto bluffing!

IF thet are going to report to a Credit Agency information that has a DIRECT effect on someones life, then they better do it correctly and withinthe law.

Why do they not do so? Because 99% of the cinsumers in this county do not know any better and pays up hoping false info on their rport willbe better but in fact it just continues to harm it tioll they "realiaze" their rights.

I agree with pryan, if it is not correct then how can it be mine?

For what it is worth..I do pay by bills/debts, but only to a OC and never to a CA.

BG