Sign in to follow this  
longhorn76

AMEX Clear Denied but Starwood Approved

Just a heads up for those thinking about applying for AMEX's new card. I have been an AMEX cardholder (Gold charge and Delta----I'm okay with the risk for F/R) for eight months. I charge about 2000 to 2500 a month on the Gold, and haven't been late on anything. My TU score is 664 with several lates from 2003-2004 on an auto loan. One paid collection on EQ and EX for 58 dollars, but they only pulled TU.

I thought I would be good to go after six months, but no love. My utilization is at 32% overall, with no cards over 50%. I filled out the short application on both. Just wanted to pass the info along to others.

The starwood is a good card. If you take good care of the starwood, in a few months you will most likely get the clear card.

When was your last late on the auto loan?

Forgot to mention. If i had applied for the clear i would not have gotten it since ive only been an amex customer since july. I called and offered to trade in my starwood and hilton cards. They agreed and still gave me a good credit limit.

Edited by thedimeman

It appears that the underwriting requirements for the Starwood are not quite as high as the CLEAR.

As Amex's new premier product, CLEAR is their hot new card.

Give it a few months...

If you have the requisite history with Amex, it probably is wiser to apply FIRST for the CLEAR, then for the Starwood (or Hilton).

Talked to an amex rep earlier and they said that clear was their most difficult card to get(not counting the centurion card) with blue being tied as a close second. She said the clear card is generally more difficult to get than the platinum charge card except under certain situations.

Talked to an amex rep earlier and they said that clear was their most difficult card to get(not counting the centurion card) with blue being tied as a close second. She said the clear card is generally more difficult to get than the platinum charge card except under certain situations.

Thought so. Also appears that they are playing to those who already have Amex.

The only difference for me was the CREDIT LIMITS as low as $2,000 and as high as $25,000

I had to wait longer for approval for some to show on the APPROVAL WEB PAGE

(not all INSTANT)

I THINK IT HAD TO DO WITH THE TIME OF DAY MORE THAN HOW HARD THE CARD IS TO GET (like after 11pm NYC TIME)

Oh yeah, the rep did mention that current amex customers have a better chance at approval.

IS or WAS NO MINIMUM INCOME REQUIRED FOR RETURN CUSTOMERS

"SHORT" APPLICATION FOR 6+ MONTHS OF BEING A CUSTOMER

MAYBE I DON'T WANT TO TRY THEN..."IF" IS SO SPECIAL

IT "WAS" TO ME MY FINAL CARD TO GET ME PAST THE $200,000 MARK

anybody else getting the 90 day appication crap? :) i ve had starwood and applied for clear and optima plat and they cancelled the clear because theysaid i couldnt apply for another card for 90 days.

anybody else getting the 90 day appication crap?  :aggressive:  i ve had starwood and applied for clear and optima plat and they cancelled the clear because theysaid i couldnt apply for another card for 90 days.

Very odd. I applied for Clear two weeks after getting IN:LA, and there was no problem.

Just for the record I applied for Clear first, then Starwood. I figured I might as well get something out of the inquiry, since AMEX would go back and get rid of multiple inq's (which they did). I really thought I would be eligible for any AMEX product after six months, but I guess it really is a tough card to get if you don't have above average score.

Just for the record I applied for Clear first, then Starwood. I figured I might as well get something out of the inquiry, since AMEX would go back and get rid of multiple inq's (which they did). I really thought I would be eligible for any AMEX product after six months, but I guess it really is a tough card to get if you don't have above average score.

The good thing is that you only ended up with one inquiry.

Best thing you did was apply for both the same day!

Give it another 6 months of age, payment history, etc.

Best of luck!