Sign in to follow this  
TNPATL

So I got some cheap gas this morning $2.29

The fact I was excited over getting gas for $2.29 is bad considering last year this time I was paying about $1.45!!!

Anyway NBC news is doing this Cheap Gas special this week in GA and they are going to different Racetrack gas stations and you get some gas for about 111 min. The line was long, but I got my gas this morning!!!

I paid $2.19/gal for 87 octane this past weekend. Pump price was $2.29 gotta love rewards cards! :swoon: You're right about the price, and it was around $1.65 in this area this time last year. Kind of funny they lower the price the week they release their earnings numbers. Sad part is we're all happy about the price, when in reality it still sucks!

Edited by Fallon

Sad part is we're all happy about the price, when in reality it still sucks!

Ain't it the truth!

The conpiracy theorist in me says that's how they want us to feel. We're now used to it, so there's no real reason to lower it any further. We've fallen for their trap <insert evil laugh here> :swoon:

I wonder that myself (I am perhaps the biggest conspiracy theorist since that Mel Gibson character I can't think of the name of :P ). It's basically them conditioning us to a higher price point. I have heard rumor it may drop down to or even just below the $2.00 / gallon mark by the end of this year. They said the national average will probably remain above, but we should see at or slightly below $2 here. I wonder if the "winter formulations" is having a slight play in this. I also heard that, although pump prices are dropping, wholesale price has dropped 2 to 3 times what pump price has. Meaning: Even though we're all happy to be paying a little less, the oil companies profit margins are larger now than ever.

:good::dntknw:

Edited by Fallon

I wonder that myself (I am perhaps the biggest conspiracy theorist since that Mel Gibson character I can't think of the name of  :P ).  It's basically them conditioning us to a higher price point.  I have heard rumor it may drop down to or even just below the $2.00 / gallon mark by the end of this year.  They said the national average will probably remain above, but we should see at or slightly below $2 here.  I wonder if the "winter formulations" is having a slight play in this.  I also heard that, although pump prices are dropping, wholesale price has dropped 2 to 3 times what pump price has.  Meaning:  Even though we're all happy to be paying a little less, the oil companies profit margins are larger now than ever.

:good:  :dntknw:

Ya know, maybe I should just give up and buy oil company stock. Then, I'd be happy when they do this stuff.

I was HAPPY that diesel was only $3.09 yesterday when I filled up, it actually cost less than a hundred bucks to fill up ,,,,maybe there's hope yet!

Where did you get it? The night before last, I believe it was, I got gas for $2.33 (nonwalmart card price- $2.36). MOST places around my area of Austin seem to still be at about $2.56-2.59, so I thought that was an AWESOME deal. In fact I was so stunned when I got the gas, that I thought maybe the price had for some reason unbeknownst to me dropped dramatically all over town, and it was not just a WM thing.

Edited by angeleyeskkhr

Diesel is still fairly high across the country Angel. It hasn't fallen with gasoline. Sad, because diesel actually takes less refining and hence you'd think would cost less. :good:

Edited by Fallon

I want to see gas and diesel go back to $4 and $5, maybe $6 gallon. I love watching all the 'expedition' (and the like - SUVs and stupid NASCAR truck drivers) owners CHOKING!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I want to see gas and diesel go back to $4 and $5, maybe $6 gallon.  I love watching all the 'expedition' (and the like - SUVs and stupid NASCAR truck drivers) owners CHOKING!!!  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Just remember that if you see diesel stay at its current levels or increase significantly, it is going to impact you at the cash register...those trucks that move the product mostly use diesel. And if you live in the East Coast areas using mostly heating oil in the winter, that is also otherwise known as DIESEL ;)

But hey, if you don't mind the negative impact of inflation upon your standards of living, wish away...

Personally, the cost per gallon doesn't impact which vehicle I use locally...in fact I just bought another one that probably won't see 18 in town. Not really a big deal since that is roughly two trips to the office and home again.

ETA: And to keep this on topic, I noticed that Texas has been the one getting screwed on pricing lately. When I picked the car up in Ohio last week, unleaded up there was in the low $2.40's, and I paid $2.37 in Missouri before filling up in OKC for $2.13 at the FlyingJ. Get back into Texas and it was over $2.65 in most areas, although I did fill up in Ft Worth for $2.53.

Edited by centex

As usual, Scott Burns always has a thought provoking perspective on things.

Scott Burns: Driving your gas use lower

05:28 PM CDT on Monday, October 17, 2005

What's your GPY?

That's gallons per year. Not MPG, miles per gallon.

The ultimate measure of how we respond to our new energy crisis is how much energy we consume. Efficiency helps, but not if our absolute consumption continues to rise. This is important.

Why?

Because gasoline has been, and remains, a minor cost of transportation. As a consequence, we have to spend a lot of money to save a little money.

According to the American Automobile Association's 2005 transportation cost study, the average annual cost of owning a car is 51.6 cents a mile if you drive 15,000 miles a year, or $7,740. The study figured the cost of gasoline at 8.2 cents a mile.

If you reduce your driving to 10,000 miles a year, your cost per mile rises to 68.2 cents a mile, while your total cost declines to $6,820, a savings of almost $1,000.

That's good money.

Say, instead, that you try to cut costs by trading in your low mpg vehicle. Unfortunately, you've probably "paid" in advance for any improvement in mileage you could achieve.

The proof is in the Hummer H2/Prius ratio, which I introduced in spring. The ratio has declined with a vengeance in the last six months.

The Kelley Blue Book wholesale value of a good-condition 2003 Hummer 2 with 30,000 miles was $30,285 at the end of the quarter. That's down a whopping $5,115 since March, or 14.6 percent. The value of a 2003 Prius with comparable mileage, on the other hand, had declined only $640, from $15,450 to $14,810.

Alas, that probably understates the hit that low mpg car owners will eventually take. Six months ago, Autotrader.com listed 1,007 2003 Hummer 2s for sale. Recently, the number listed had soared to 1,296. During the same period, the number of 2003 Priuses offered declined from 187 to 98.

Furthermore, few car owners will be in a position to buy anytime soon because more people are further upside down on their loans. Detroit didn't take the money straight out of consumers' pockets. But every dime, and then some, of "employee pricing" that benefited new car buyers came at the expense of existing car owners. Detroit's summer sales came at the expense of future sales.

Meanwhile, although gasoline is a minor part of our cost of transportation, it is growing compared with average grocery spending. According to the Food Marketing Institute, average weekly spending on groceries is now $92.50. Anyone with a long commute in a gas guzzler may now be spending as much on gasoline as on food.

Talk about hard choices.

Prius put to work

So what can we do?

In the Burns family, we've managed a little bit of fuel efficiency and a lot of consumption cutting. We're driving fewer miles and trying to do it in the most fuel-efficient vehicle.

As reported in 2003, we traded a turbocharged New Beetle (22 mpg, premium gas) for a 2003 Prius (45 mpg, regular gas). We drive the Prius whenever possible. And we try to reserve our aging Jeep for its primary purpose: hauling stuff.

I now work in my home office most of the time, a 30-foot "commute." My wife has retired, so she is no longer driving all over Dallas six days a week.

We don't leave the house just to buy a pint of ice cream. We combine our trips as much as possible.

No rocket science. But simply paying attention has big results.

We've cut gasoline consumption from about 1,100 gallons a year to about 565 gallons.

Forming habit

Could we do more?

You bet. Invest more, and we could cut our gas consumption in half again.

Were there an inexpensive retrofit for the 2003 Prius, we could convert it to an overnight plug-in car, double the mileage and eliminate 140 more gallons. But there is no inexpensive retrofit – and our electric bill would be higher.

Similarly, we could sell the Jeep and get on the waiting list for a Ford Escape Hybrid, spending at least $27,000 on the new car, plus sales tax and collision insurance – just to save 130 gallons.

Bottom line: The big energy savings will come from changing habits, not from big purchases.

I want to see gas and diesel go back to $4 and $5, maybe $6 gallon.  I love watching all the 'expedition' (and the like - SUVs and stupid NASCAR truck drivers) owners CHOKING!!!  :clapping:  :yahoo:  :yes2:  :rofl:

higher gas prices mean higher airline ticket prices.

I want to see gas and diesel go back to $4 and $5, maybe $6 gallon.  I love watching all the 'expedition' (and the like - SUVs and stupid NASCAR truck drivers) owners CHOKING!!!   :clapping:  :yahoo:  :yes2:  :rofl:

Unless your Southwest Airlines

I want to see gas and diesel go back to $4 and $5, maybe $6 gallon.  I love watching all the 'expedition' (and the like - SUVs and stupid NASCAR truck drivers) owners CHOKING!!!  :good:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Unless your Southwest Airlines

Even with their hedge contracts, it will still have an impact...just not as sharp as other airlines buying mostly on the spot markets.

Diesel is still fairly high across the country Angel.  It hasn't fallen with gasoline.  Sad, because diesel actually takes less refining and hence you'd think would cost less.  :lol:

Sorry, I was actually asking the "where'd you get it" to the OP who got his gas cheap....it was a reference to maybe it's a WM thing (prices MUCH cheaper than the area to lure in customers).