Sign in to follow this  
milesandmiles

I can't believe I did this!

I have 2 Bank of America cards. I have one which is about a year old, and a second which I received in September, on which I have a BT balance. I PIF the other card several days ago.

The second card was issued on 9/1/05, and I cannot believe that I somehow missed the bill. My heart nearly stopped this afternoon after visiting the website, when the notice that I was $10 past due popped up.

I have never been late before on anything.

I made a payment immediately, and then called Customer Service. The very nice man there told me that the bill was generated on 9/6, due on 9/26 (does 20 days sound right?).

Anyway, I made an additional payment over the phone. He very kindly removed the late charge.

Will this report to the CRAs?

He said it would not, as it would only report if I were 31 days plus past due.

My heart is pounding a mile a minute. Anybody know if this is true?

Usually they'll forgive the first late if it's not *too* late and if you go out of your way to make it right. Sounds like yours should be ok.

Hope they don't ding you with a late, miles.

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month. So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T! I was so vexed. I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte. So I got a 30 day late. And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job. Back to the drawing board. :rofl:

Hi, Idare,

I called, and they put me through to the Tech Support department. It turns out that I did not set up the e-bill process until after the bill had been cut, so that we crossed paths.

The very nice rep told me that she would also notate the account to remove the internal notation of late on the account.

I still can't believe I did this.

My experience is that if you pay it before the next statement is generated you will be okay. If you pay it after the next statement its too late and you'll see a late on your reports.

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month.  So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T!  I was so vexed.  I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte.  So I got a 30 day late.  And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job.  Back to the drawing board.  :rofl:

It's really disheartening, especially when you are so careful.

I know exactly how you feel!

My experience is that if you pay it before the next statement is generated you will be okay. If you pay it after the next statement its too late and you'll see a late on your reports.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will not ding me with this. They said they wouldn't.

I worked at Citibank for some time in customer service and early stage collections and what BOA told you is what was true for Citibank at the time I worked there. We didn't report until you went 30+ days behind. Though, you might get a rate-jack, check on that. We didn't at the time, but it's been some years and I think a lot of c/c companies do this on day 1 late. I'd also be very careful to not be late again, if you can help it, because they usually note in the system when they remove a late.

Don't stress it too bad! :swoon:

I think you have to be at least 30 days past due before it goes to CRA as a late. So, hopefully you'll be O.K.

I think you have to be at least 30 days past due before it goes to CRA as a late.  So, hopefully you'll be O.K.

Incorrect. You miss the due date they can list you as late. However, if you can sneak in before the next statement is genterated, usually 3 days max, you can get away with being ontime.

Oh, I didn't realize they could do it so quickly! Our mortgage company told us that it had to be at least 30 days past the due date before they reported it as late, so that's what I was going on.

I didn't either until I let a payment to Total miss the due date by 5 days. I thought I already submitted it online. :(

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month.  So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T!  I was so vexed.  I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte.  So I got a 30 day late.  And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job.  Back to the drawing board.  :cry2:

It's really disheartening, especially when you are so careful.

I know exactly how you feel!

Found out the magnitude of my mistake today when I get an alert from EQ Scorewatch...42 point drop. I'm so discouraged. I don't know why I didn't just do a check by phone as soon as I realized I hadn't mailed the payment. There's no way I can do a goodwill, not with all the lates I have on that account from when I got laid off. :rofl:*sigh*

I guess I am terribly naive, but I don't understand how they can report someone 30 days late if they aren't 30 days late.

Does 30 days late really mean "late, but 30 days or less"?

I would have thought that 30 days late means "30 or more, but less than 60."

30 days late should mean 30 days after the due date but that's not how they do it. They will report you 30 days late on day 1 after the due date supposedly because there is no option for less than 30 days late. :search:

I have over fifty TLs on each of my reports and have NEVER had a creditor report me to the CRAs as 30 days late unless I actually was 30 or more days late (two missed payments). Some companies only update at the end of the month, so I got extra time to get the payment in...they wouldn't report as late if I got the payment in by the end of the month. :grin:

YMMV...

I think you have to be at least 30 days past due before it goes to CRA as a late.  So, hopefully you'll be O.K.

Incorrect. You miss the due date they can list you as late. However, if you can sneak in before the next statement is genterated, usually 3 days max, you can get away with being ontime.

Your wrong! This has been discussed MANY times in threads. On EQ, TU, EX it a 30 date late means that.. PAST 30+ late! NO LENDER can mark you late on one day late, it means 30+ if they do you can easily get that changed if you dispute.

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month.  So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T!  I was so vexed.  I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte.  So I got a 30 day late.  And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job.  Back to the drawing board.  :)

I don't understand how they can give you a 30 days late when you were only late 3 days? I'm confused by this. :blink:

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month.  So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T!  I was so vexed.  I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte.  So I got a 30 day late.  And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job.  Back to the drawing board.  :)

I don't understand how they can give you a 30 days late when you were only late 3 days? I'm confused by this. :blink:

I was late a few days with MBNA one time when I was dealing with family illness and hospitalizations. I completely forgot about the due date in the process. This was at a time I was dealing with paper statements only as I did not have Internet at that time. (several years ago). It was not reported to the CRAs, but it is on record with MBNA. Since then, I have made a practice of scheduling online payments to take place just after statement posting.

In my experience, you can get hit with late fees if you are 1+ day late, but you shouldn't be charged with a 30-day late until you are past 30 days after the due date. YMMV...

Could you tell me where it says this? The research I've done indicates that it's supposed to be literally 30 calendar days, though I didn't save the specific links.

I guess internally they can do whatever they want. Late is late.

However, for purposes of reporting to a CRA, I would imagine that you have to be 30 days+ late to be reported as a 30.

I just made the same mistake - thought I'd mailed my car note, turns out it was stuck in the pages of my planner in a future month.  So I'm sitting here thinking it's mailed off, figured out the day before the payment was due that it WASN'T!  I was so vexed.  I overnighted the payment and it got there the next day, but didn't post 'til 3 days after the due dte.  So I got a 30 day late.  And I'd been doing so well - no lates or anything in a year after a HORRENDOUS time I had after I got laid off from my job.  Back to the drawing board.  :blush:

I don't understand how they can give you a 30 days late when you were only late 3 days? I'm confused by this. :swoon:

I was late a few days with MBNA one time when I was dealing with family illness and hospitalizations. I completely forgot about the due date in the process. This was at a time I was dealing with paper statements only as I did not have Internet at that time. (several years ago). It was not reported to the CRAs, but it is on record with MBNA. Since then, I have made a practice of scheduling online payments to take place just after statement posting.

Right I understand that. I mean it happens, sometimes you are caught up with other things, and you forget. But I'm trying to understand how if you are late by 3 days, it shows up on your CRA as 30? That does not make sense. Yes you are late to the creditor, and you get zinged that way, but 3 days to show up as 30 + does not seem right. :swoon:

Could you tell me where it says this? The research I've done indicates that it's supposed to be literally 30 calendar days, though I didn't save the specific links.

I actually asked the creditor I was 4 days late with. Their excuse is that there is no option for less than 30 days late with the CRAs so the only option they have is 30 days late or pays as agree. They will choose 30 days late if the next statement has cut.