Sign in to follow this  
blackberry74

Planning A Trip To Hawaii

I'm so excited!!! DH & I were discussing our daughter's trip to the Bahamas in May and what we would/should do for 10 days while she's gone. After tossing around some ideas, we've decided on Hawaii - we've never been, we won't feel guilty about not taking DD 'cuz she'll be too busy having fun w/out us, we've never had a *real* honeymoon, t's around the time of our 5th year of being together - so it's a pretty big trip for us.

We've talked to a travel agent and decided to split the trip between Oahu & Kuaui. Booking it tomorrow. Anybody have suggestions for things we definitely should do while we're there? I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that we won't do Hawaii again for at least another 2 or 3 years (if then - DD will be about ready for college), so we want to do as much as possible. We're staying for 8 days. TIA!

snorkeling, scuba diving, horseback riding, luaus. I have some friends who just came back from there. They took tons of pics and had a blast!

You will love it

I've also heard that Pearl Harbor is something not to be missed.

Edited by hlburi

You'll love Kauai! If you have 10 days why not squeeze in another island? Really only need 2-3 days in Oahu. You won't need a car in Oahu, but will want one on the other islands.

The helicopter tours from Lihue to see Waimea Canyon and the Napali Valleys and the MT Waialeale crater is awesome in Kauai.

I'm so excited!!!  DH & I were discussing our daughter's trip to the Bahamas in May and what we would/should do for 10 days while she's gone.  After tossing around some ideas, we've decided on Hawaii - we've never been, we won't feel guilty about not taking DD 'cuz she'll be too busy having fun w/out us, we've never had a *real* honeymoon, t's around the time of our 5th year of being together - so it's a pretty big trip for us.

We've talked to a travel agent and decided to split the trip between Oahu & Kuaui.  Booking it tomorrow.  Anybody have suggestions for things we definitely should do while we're there?  I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that we won't do Hawaii again for at least another 2 or 3 years (if then - DD will be about ready for college), so we want to do as much as possible.  We're staying for 8 days.  TIA!

Go see the USS Missouri, and The USS Arizonia Memorial...take lots of sunscreen! Good Luck and have fun! :D

I love Kauai! :D

DH and I were there for a couple of weeks in January 2001. We stayed at the Marriott on Kalapaki Beach. It was fantastic. There is a restaurant there called Duke's... great food, right on the beach.

We stayed mainly in the south part of the island where the water was more calm (for boogie boarding and snorkeling), but did drive up north to Princeville a couple of times. If you keep driving up north, there is a beach park with a pretty challenging hike trail that leads to a secluded waterfall. The hike itself was quite tasking (especially for a non-athlete such as myself), but the waterfall was well worth the hike.

Definitely do a helicopter tour. The island is mostly mountainous, with spectacular views. I believe Jurassic Park, among many other movies, was filmed there.

Also, at certain times of the year, you can take a boat tour to watch the whales off the south coast...

Last but not least, make sure you try a Bubba Burger... They're delicious! <_<

Happy Trails!! :yahoo:

Lihue to see Waimea Canyon and the Napali Valleys and the MT Waialeale crater is awesome in Kauai.

I challenge anyone to say that 3 times fast!!! :D

I believe Jurassic Park, among many other movies, was filmed there.

Watch out for the Velociraptors!!!

Ok...I'll behave now...

I need more wine

I live in Hawaii - on the island of Oahu. This island is VERY crowded but it does have the most places to go as far as tourist spots are concerned. All of the other islands are more "country" They are islands of relaxation for all the "hustle and bustle" that goes on here on oahu.

Yes, I would suggest Pearl Harbor- Arizona Memorial. It's one of America's historic battles!

If youre into extreme/active activities....we also offer parasailing,

you can charter a boat and catch Marlin (of course all catch belongs to the captain).

Skydiving on the north shore.

Learn to surf.

You can go to a luau.

Shop your butts off at Ala Moana Shopping center (once held the record for the largest open air mall)

Go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. (Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday Mornings only)

...and others people have mentioned...like horseback....or even ATV's.

I'll post if I come up with more good ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody...I'll be printing this off. We were gonna stay the entire 8 days on Oahu, but our travel agent discouraged us from doing that - said we wouldn't get the "true" flavor of Hawaii 'cuz Oahu is so commercialized. I'm an urban kind of girl (LOL), so we opted to spend the first 4 days on Oahu and the last 4 on Kauai (I spelled that wrong in the OP :aggressive:) to sort of wind down. We're really looking forward to it.

I've been to Hawaii a bunch, but only Maui and Oahu. If you are into adventures, you can go non-stop. If you want to hang, that's cool, too.

In Oahu, Pearl Harbor is a must-see to do, but I know many people on vacation don't want to spend a 1/2 day doing that, so if you don't want to go there, don't beat yourself up about it. I've known several people who went to Oahu and just didn't get around to it.

If you like snorkeling or scuba, get on the net and find a few places. Hanauma Bay on Oahu is a national preserve and is accessible by land. You'll need a car, shuttle or taxi to get there if you are in Waikiki. It is worth going to. Check out the scene in Waikiki, the beach, shops, bars, restaurants, etc.

Here are some cheap things to do on Oahu (the expensive ones are easy to find): There is an open-air international market between Kuhio and Kalakaua where you can buy "tchachkies." If you can, hike Diamond Head early in the morning, the hike through the crater is cool and the view of Waikiki from the top is great (take water and sturdy shoes - the afternoons can be hot (you'll be on the dry side of the island)). Take a surf lesson right on Waikiki. Go to the statue on main drag at the beach: there are board rentals and lessons - they pretty much guarantee that you'll get to stand-up and ride a wave. Get on one of the catamarans at the beach and take a 1 hour "MaiTai" cruise in the bay (costs like $10 pp, MaiTais on board are like $2-$4). The views, waves, boat ride...can't be beat for the price. Drive over to the north shore and check out the small towns, the shrimp trucks (the garlic shrimp plates are highly recommended), deserted beaches and cool folks surfing and wind-surfing. You can keep yourself busy on Oahu for several days.

I can talk about Maui but not Kuaui...great snorkeling/scuba on all of the islands. If you like to snorkel, get yourself a set and head out on your own based on net searches, info from dive shops and locals. A lot of these places are accessible by foot directly from the beaches. Maui's got the volcano, Haleakala with the bike rides, et al, the infamous "Road to Hana," Wailea/Makena, nude beaches, Molikini excursions, etc., - it is an adventurer's paradise.

I've heard that Kuaui is probably the most beautiful...but that's probably like comparing diamonds to rubies, emeralds and saffires!! Have a fantastic time!!

I don't know why I didnt mention Hanauma Bay. Thats a really good one BUT....it does have some drawbacks. If you have your own car....you need to go SUPER EARLY or the parking lot gets full, and they tell you to turn around. There is nothing near Hanauma bay so you can't just park and walk there. Go early, like 7am. Sometimes that may be too late. Make sure to call first cause I know it is closed one day of the week. Taxi to the bay from Waikiki can get expensive though. You might want to catch the bus instead!

Oh, and a walk through the "strip" at Waikiki is alright too. A lot of activiities on the sidewalk except for the occasional "need a date tonight?" with clear stiletto's!

Enjoy your trip. I'm somewhat disappointed that you're not visiting my favorite island The Big Island. It is truly very diverse with a variety of activities. Since you plan to return, perhaps you can include it on a future trip.

I'll be returning in a month, so I'm looking forward to the peaceful atmosphere of "Aloha."

Also if you plan on going to Hanauma Bay, don't plan that trip for a Tuesday. They are closed Tuesdays. We found that out when we went on a Tuesday :yahoo:

But it's well worth going. It's just like something out of National Geographic.

DH and I just had our vacation in Hawaii at the end of August. He now wants to move there :(:D

This is great info, guys...thanks!

Kona, our travel agent told us we could fly to other islands for about $70 pp if we wanted to do daytrips...so we may get to The Big Island. I'm not counting anything out; I want to do as much as possible while we're there.

And if you forgot to pack something you can find it at an ABC Store. They are addicting!

For the uninitiated, the ABC store is the place to go for odds and ends, snacks, cheap gifts, etc. It is a neat little place, some larger than others. There are over 20 in Waikiki alone. There are jokes that "ABC" stands for "All Blocks Covered," or "All Bring Cash," but do not fear for all credit cards are accepted.

Can I stow away in your luggage??? :)

If I ever get to Hawaii, I'd have to try to find Dog the Bounty Hunter's office. I think he's a hoot.

Hey Kona- I have not been to the Big Island yet, but my parents just returned from Kona Village. It is their favorite getaway.

This is great info, guys...thanks!

Kona, our travel agent told us we could fly to other islands for about $70 pp if we wanted to do daytrips...so we may get to The Big Island.  I'm not counting anything out; I want to do as much as possible while we're there.

The Big Island is very big, so if you are doing a day trip, you might want to consider doing one of those "Circle the Island" tour deals so that you can get a narrated insight into the sights and culture of the island. The majority of the climates on the Earth are found on the Big Island.

It really takes more than a day to experience the diversity. I usually spend a minimum of a week there when I go back, and each day is packed with activities. Everyone goes to the volcano, but a really neat trip is the Stargazing trip. You go from the high temps and sand of the beach to over 13,000 ft. where you experience snow and cold. You can also see some of the constellations of the Southern Hemisphere.

Many of the world's telescopes are located on the Big Island, and if you drive near the Kona area, you will discover the lights are not as bright as they are in other islands, etc. The reason for this is because of the location of the telescopes.

The Big Island is the island of the Hawaiian Royalty. There is much history and culture packed into that island, along with the physical attractions. It just takes a long time to drive it and be able to experience many of the highlights.

BB I hope you and hubby have a wonderful, wonderful time!!! :) Hawaii will be one of my future destinations upon finishing school in the next couple of years. :blink:

And if you forgot to pack something you can find it at an ABC Store. They are addicting!

For the uninitiated, the ABC store is the place to go for odds and ends, snacks, cheap gifts, etc. It is a neat little place, some larger than others. There are over 20 in Waikiki alone. There are jokes that "ABC" stands for "All Blocks Covered," or "All Bring Cash," but do not fear for all credit cards are accepted.

ALREADY

BEEN

CHEWED

as in "GUM"