Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

oddball cards

oh my goodness I thought you were making that up. yes, I did click the link.

that is a good one...but it IS a real bank...LOL

http://www.bbnb.com/

I dont see an offering for a credit Card after surfing the site and registering..

BG

Web site as per link is dead. Is that bank still around?

oh my goodness I thought you were making that up. yes, I did click the link.

that is a good one...but it IS a real bank...LOL

http://www.bbnb.com/

I dont see an offering for a credit Card after surfing the site and registering..

BG

Web site as per link is dead. Is that bank still around?

You obviously failed to read much of this thread....

https://www.popular.com/en/cards/black-dual/

Interesting Dual card offer with a Visa Infinite/Amex $150.00 yearly fee.

I've dealt with them before. You have to be a resident of Puerto Rico, and they will ask for proof of residency and proof of income. They're pretty conservative if you have a limited credit history, but if you're more established, they're relatively generous. I opened my second card ever with them, and they gave me $1000 limit - I applied four years later for a new card, and they gave me $27.5k (highest limit at the time was 32k)

They annoyed me - I applied for the platinum plus, but they approved me for the platinum with $9k. Useless and sockdrawered.

State Bank of India (California) debit card.  The bank is good for people who have family and/or financial connections to India.  I don't (I've never been to India) but I'm tempted to apply online for their Easy Checking (no fee if $250 balance is maintained).

https://www.indiawest.com/news/business/sbi-introduces-debit-card-for-california-customers/article_a68e2b29-d253-5211-a14c-32a5a42b8514.html

https://www.sbical.com/Checking.aspx

Ollo Optimum

https://www.ollocard.com/Optimum-Card

2.5% cash back on all your purchases
No limits
No minimum to redeem

-no SUB so it requires at least 20k 'spend' before break even vs. a $500 SUB alternative
-invitation only

Less restrictive alternative to Alliant?

1 hour ago, Occam said:

Ollo Optimum

https://www.ollocard.com/Optimum-Card

2.5% cash back on all your purchases
No limits
No minimum to redeem

-no SUB so it requires at least 20k 'spend' before break even vs. a $500 SUB alternative
-invitation only

Less restrictive alternative to Alliant?

YJQZkYN.jpg

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

YJQZkYN.jpg

Amen to that!

I have yet to be able to converse with anyone ever on the phone @ Citi who even has a basic rudimentary command of the English language and I always make several HUCA attempts.  Inevitably for issues I must go into a branch, however that is not much better....

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

YJQZkYN.jpg

However when you call you are sent to voicemail...

Oddball cards are just not worth it in my opinion anymore.  Between past bad experiences (OCCU anyone...) and lenders becoming more restrictive about # of applications, new accounts, etc to try to reduce churners I don't get a card unless it has a long term plan in my portfolio, which is a shame because it limits my ability to get some oddballs now and then.

5 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

However when you call you are sent to voicemail...

At least that is less frustrating, LOL!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Oddball cards are just not worth it in my opinion anymore.  Between past bad experiences (OCCU anyone...) and lenders becoming more restrictive about # of applications, new accounts, etc to try to reduce churners I don't get a card unless it has a long term plan in my portfolio, which is a shame because it limits my ability to get some oddballs now and then.

Absolutely agree. I was going to get a JCB card purely for the novelty factor as I don't travel to Japan and they were notoriously stingy with credit limits.  Fortunately I never did app the JCB card since they have now subsequently exited the US market and shut down all of their outstanding cards with no grandfathering.  A JCB card would have been a total waste!

Edited by Rogue

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Rogue said:

Absolutely agree. I was going to get a JCB card purely for the novelty factor as I don't travel to Japan and they were notoriously stingy with credit limits.  Fortunately I never did app the JCB card since they have now subsequently exited the US market and shut down all of their outstanding cards with no grandfathering.  A JCB card would have been a total waste!

I had the JCB card until they closed them all. No biggie. I'm keeping the card as a collectible. I consider the ICBC USA UnionPay card I got a couple years ago as its replacement. Maybe try for that, if you don't already have it.

Edited by Burgerwars

28 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

I had the JCB card until they closed them all. No biggie. I'm keeping the card as a collectible. I consider the ICBC USA UnionPay card I got a couple years ago as its replacement. Maybe try for that, if you don't already have it.

same. I have ICBC UP card and the Brazilian thong card just for the oddball factor.

for someone rebuilding, oddballs from regional and community banks can still be helpful.