Sign in to follow this  
zoecat

For those that get mad when asked for ID

Do you get mad when they just swipe your card and give it back to you without looking at the back? Aren't they supposed to compare the signature on the card to the signature on the credit slip? I've only seen two places actually do this on a consistant basis - the post office and Disneyland.

If it is against Visa/MC policy to require additional ID when a signed card is presented, is it also against policy to not compare the signatures?

Do you get mad when they just swipe your card and give it back to you without looking at the back? Aren't they supposed to compare the signature on the card to the signature on the credit slip? I've only seen two places actually do this on a consistant basis - the post office and Disneyland.

If it is against Visa/MC policy to require additional ID when a signed card is presented, is it also against policy to not compare the signatures?

YES...THE SIGNATURES SHOULD BE COMPARED

BUT I DON'T COMPLAIN IF THEY DON'T

If they swipe my signed card and give it back to me without comparing the signatures, that doesn't bother me much because they aren't requiring anything on my part. Asking for my ID is intrusive, and since it IS against V/MC policy, I have the right to refuse.

If they do not compare the signatures when they accept cards, THEY are held liable for fraudulent purchases, not me.

I actually prefer when they just swipe and hand it back or have a self-swipe system as it is faster and more convenient. The no-signing thing is nice too at some stores.

Do you get mad at the gas station because the attendant doesn't come out of the little store to look at the credit card you just swiped yourself at the pump?

How about at Home Depot, where you can easily rack up $1k in purchases, and ring yourself up at the self-checkout and slide through a credit card without any human employee present?

Do you get mad at the gas station because the attendant doesn't come out of the little store to look at the credit card you just swiped yourself at the pump?

How about at Home Depot, where you can easily rack up $1k in purchases, and ring yourself up at the self-checkout and slide through a credit card without any human employee present?

No... I only use pay-at-pump, and at Exxon/Mobil I have speedpass for making it even faster.

Self-checkout is nice for getting out faster when all the people who don't understand self-checkout line up at the two open registeres at Home Depot. Not needing a human employee to check out is easier/faster.

it doesnt bother me at all

and at Exxon/Mobil I have speedpass

What is this?

http://www.speedpass.com/home.jsp

Linked to credit/debit card...

You simply tap the speedpass to the reader, no card swiping, no pin, no signature needed... speeds up fueling a few seconds.

It is free... and this summer 5 cents rebate per gallon of gas.

Also, you can go inside and buy stuff, and it is faster.

If it is a Visa/MC policy for a merchant to veryify signatures, but the merchant doesn't, is that ok? A policy is a policy, right? The Visa/MC policy is that merchants are not to ask for ID to complete the transaction, but if they do, then it is not ok? A policy is a policy, right? I know some have argued that the ID issue is WRONG because it is Visa/MC policy and you have to follow policy! If it is NOT policy to verify signatures disregard this opened can of worms.

If it is a Visa/MC policy for a merchant to veryify signatures, but the merchant doesn't, is that ok? A policy is a policy, right? The Visa/MC policy is that merchants are not to ask for ID to complete the transaction, but if they do, then it is not ok? A policy is a policy, right? I know some have argued that the ID issue is WRONG because it is Visa/MC policy and you have to follow policy! If it is NOT policy to verify signatures disregard this opened can of worms.

I could care less about a policy where I am not inconvenienced and THEY suffer the loss from fraud.

The merchant agreement does not REQUIRE signatures to be checked... but it does reccomend it.

The merchant agreement does REQUIRE merchants to take the card without additional ID if it is not signed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    trulife2019
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines