Sign in to follow this  
CreditQQQ

Visa/MC with pic = waive ID req?

Are merchants that ask for ID willing to take a Visa/MC with a picture of you on it instead of ID?

MERCHANTS CAN NOT ASK FOR ID AS A TERM OF THE SALE!

As long as the back of your card is signed, they can't ask for the ID for the sale.

If your picture is on the front, that kind of is an ID... so that just helps protect you from fraud if your card is lost/stolen.

MERCHANTS CAN NOT ASK FOR ID AS A TERM OF THE SALE!

As long as the back of your card is signed, they can't ask for the ID for the sale.

If your picture is on the front, that kind of is an ID... so that just helps protect you from fraud if your card is lost/stolen.

correct!

Are merchants that ask for ID willing to take a Visa/MC with a picture of you on it instead of ID?

ONE WOULD THINK A PICTURE ON A CREDIT CARD SHOULD BE ENOUGH...

But when a business would rater LOSE A SALE than follow CREDIT CARD POLICY...WHO KNOWS???

I could care less, if Store A, asks for ID, I refuse and go buy stuff at Store B, or store C or Store D. Eventually in the city I'm near I'll find a place that won't ask.. Then I report Store A, and any others that did ask.

Rules are rules, and until the rules change my ID will stay firmly in my wallet, unless I'm buying booze.

If you do ask for ID, regardless of wether I'm using my photo card or not, you can expect me to refuse, If you insist, I'll leave, because like GEORGE, I'm plastic only.. the cash in my wallet stas there a long long time

Target used to always ask for ID a few months ago, whether the card was signed or not. Since they have this reader that takes in your whole card, this always annoyed me. I'd take the card back as fast as possible and ignore the promt to hand it to the cashier. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. However, Target then figured that they could ring up many more sales in a shorter amount of time (and accept some loss due to CC fraud) vs checking ID and verifying the card. As a result, no more hassle and a much faster moving checkout line.

Target used to always ask for ID a few months ago, whether the card was signed or not. Since they have this reader that takes in your whole card, this always annoyed me. I'd take the card back as fast as possible and ignore the promt to hand it to the cashier. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. However, Target then figured that they could ring up many more sales in a shorter amount of time (and accept some loss due to CC fraud) vs checking ID and verifying the card. As a result, no more hassle and a much faster moving checkout line.

Or mabye they were fined by Visa/MC/AmEx for VIOLATING THEIR CONTRACT.

went shopping with a girlfriend this weekend. She was making a purchase with her BOA Visa Checkcard. HER PICTURE AND SIG ARE ON THE FRONT! CARD WAS SIGNED ON BACK!

SHE WAS ASKED FOR I.D.!!!!!!!!!!

I replied, "Is that not her picture on the front?"

cashier: yes

ME: "Is that not her signature on the FRONT?"

ME: "Why do you need to see ID?"

cashier: I can't read the sig on the back clearly.

WTF???????? If it were me, I would have just walked out. But my friend really wanted that shirt. grr...

went shopping with a girlfriend this weekend.  She was making a purchase with her BOA Visa Checkcard.  HER PICTURE AND SIG ARE ON THE FRONT!  CARD WAS SIGNED ON BACK!

SHE WAS ASKED FOR I.D.!!!!!!!!!! 

I replied, "Is that not her picture on the front?"

ME: "Is that not her signature on the FRONT?"

ME:  "Why do you need to see ID?"

cashier: I can't read the sig on the back clearly.

WTF????????  If it were me, I would have just walked out.  But my friend really wanted that shirt.  grr...

SIGNATURE or NO SIGNATURE ON THE BACK I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT...(and I'm a legalist when it comes to credit cards)

NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED

VOID IF NOT SIGNED

BUT - if a signature is on the front, does that not count as signed? Or must it be on back?

What if the person didn't sign on the strip, but did it in permanant marker on the mag strip (i have seen this before)? Does that not count as signed?

What counts as a signed card where ID can't be required?

I worked at Target, and our transactions were timed. I am sure the cashier didn't want to add to her time.

The only time we ID'ed anyone is when they got instant credit at the CS desk and only had a paper card.

I worked at Target, and our transactions were timed. I am sure the cashier didn't want to add to her time.

The only time we ID'ed anyone is when they got instant credit at the CS desk and only had a paper card.

With store cards ID can be asked for, as the store sets the policy... With Visa/MC/Amex, it can't be asked for, though, as the merchant agreement would be violatied.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tianaj
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines