Sign in to follow this  
BBQ123

The Be All, End All ID For Signed Card Threat

Well someone went profane on the last thread. So here's a new one that should be on-topic.

Basically, we have established that it is against the rules for a merchant to ask for ID on a signed card.

We have established that some people are okay with showing ID... and will give in easily to their rights being violated.

Now -- what should be done to merchants in violation of policy?

Well someone went profane on the last thread.  So here's a new one that should be on-topic.

Basically, we have established that it is against the rules for a merchant to ask for ID on a signed card. 

We have established that some people are okay with showing ID... and will give in easily to their rights being violated.

REPORT THEM

FOR ALL THE GOOD THAT WILL COME OUT OF IT

Finally got to send my COMPLAINT TO SUBWAY COMPANY today (for all the good that will do)

Don't go back UNLESS you are sure they have TURNED AROUND FROM THEIR EVIL WAYS...

Well someone went profane on the last thread.  So here's a new one that should be on-topic.

and we've established that people will spend an hour in the store shopping for stuff, and then leave it at the counter because the clerk asked for an ID... which proves nothing.

and we've established that people will spend an hour in the store shopping for stuff, and then leave it at the counter because the clerk asked for an ID... which proves nothing.

...AND WE HAVE ALSO PROVED THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL SIT AT THEIR COMPUTER AND ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO GO ALONG WITH ALLOWING A BUSINESS TO NOT FOLLOW THE CREDIT CARD POLICY THAT THEY AGREED TO WHEN THEY SIGNED UP WITH VISA/MC/AMEX

GEORGE is right.

Tell them to take the card... or put the stuff back on the shelf themselves. Or dump it.

Ever been asked for ID to pay a $100 bill with a credit card at a restaraunt.

I think not... they know they have 2 options

1) Get paid

2) Not get paid.

And Visa has established that they make more money off Subway and Walmart than to care about the policy.

:aggressive:

-Subprime

VISA & M/C should either enforce it, or not enforce it and do away with it. The policy, that is. Equally, across the board. Wal-Mart and Mom & Pop.

If they choose to enforce it, graduated suspensions from accepting that particular card. One day for the first violation and one added day for each subsequent violation.

And Visa has established that they make more money off Subway and Walmart than to care about the policy.

:dntknw:

-Subprime

Exactly! If they don't enforce it, then creating a scene and staging a "protest" at the register accomplishes nothing but wasting time.

Or...

How about having the transaction fee go up for violation.

1% per violation, for 90 days.

That way if they keep doing it over and over they get a transcation fee of like 20%... then 50%, etc.

They'll probably stop after the first few violations.

That way big retailers are hit just as bad as small ones.

MABYE a warning the first time.

Today I went to a store at the mall... Sweet Tooth from Heaven or something. They had a sign up saying $0.50 charge for credit card purchase under $5.00

Was getting some chocolates there... they sell by the pound. The total was $4.70.

Handed over my Visa card, and the guy goes "Less than 5 dollar... there is a 50 cent fee."

This is a CLEAR violation of merchant policy:

VISA does not allow merchants to charge you a fee for using your VISA card.

So, I told him that the Visa Merchant policy does not allow an extra fee for using credit cards. I told the guy that they have to accept it, or they will be reported to Visa for violation [by me] and could be fined.

Realizing that I was right... he said, "Yes, sorry...I can take it without the fee. We just put the sign up to try to get people to use cash for small stuff because of the merchant fees... but I know we must accept it and no fees if they want."

That was good enough... I paid $4.70 with my Visa.

However, I believe such signs may be in violation of the merchant policy. But, from what it seemed, the guy is jsut a manager of that small franchisee... I didn't bother to report them.

Now, before anyone asks me why I didn't use cash:

1) They accept Visa, they must follow the policies.

2) I did not have enough cash to pay for it at the time... only had about $3.

3) I am not going to pay an extra $3 to use an ATM that isn't my bank.

4) It is safer to use the card than carry cash... zero liability if stolen. With cash, too bad, unless the cops catch the theif.

Anyway... anyone else see this sort of stuff before? Someone trying to charge a fee for using a card, or for using it under a certain value?

Interestingly, if I didn't start reading these forums, I might have just gone along with being charged an extra fee (after all it is just 50 cents)... but I have realized the importance of cardholders standing up for their rights.

Today I went to a store at the mall... Sweet Tooth from Heaven or something. They had a sign up saying $0.50 charge for credit card purchase under $5.00

Was getting some chocolates there... they sell by the pound. The total was $4.70.

Handed over my Visa card, and the guy goes "Less than 5 dollar... there is a 50 cent fee."

So, I told him that the Visa Merchant policy does not allow an extra fee for using credit cards. I told the guy that they have to accept it, or they will be reported to Visa for violation [by me] and could be fined.

Realizing that I was right... he said, "Yes, sorry...I can take it without the fee. We just put the sign up to try to get people to use cash for small stuff because of the merchant fees... but I know we must accept it and no fees if they want."

However, I believe such signs may be in violation of the merchant policy. But, from what it seemed, the guy is jsut a manager of that small franchisee... I didn't bother to report them.

4) It is safer to use the card than carry cash... zero liability if stolen. With cash, too bad, unless the cops catch the theif.

Anyway... anyone else see this sort of stuff before? Someone trying to charge a fee for using a card, or for using it under a certain value?

Interestingly, if I didn't start reading these forums, I might have just gone along with being charged an extra fee (after all it is just 50 cents)... but I have realized the importance of cardholders standing up for their rights.

report them anyways!

And we have also managed to ESTABLISH that NOBODY bothers to use the search function

OR

bothers to listen to either the site owners or the moderators

regarding this totally tired subject.

Does the same rule apply to a Visa debit card?

This happened to me a few weeks ago at a McDonald's between Los Angeles and Las Vegas (not quite sure where I was!).

PS

I merged these last two threads together.

For those of you watching.

report them anyways!

Will it do any good... they didn't charge, and accepted the card.

Also - why merge these? 1 was on ID, one on an ADDED FEE.

because it is basically a continuation of the same concept.

Just a different twist.

And

if the last one is any indication probably by the time I wake up in the morning there will be several pages of people reiterating their positions from previous posts and NO MEANINGFUL discussion

And

it will get off topic

And

it will get closed again.

So lets try to keep it civil, well mannered and an actual discussion instead of a constant back and forth and it can continue for 4,445 pages for all I care.

So lets see where this one goes.

because it is basically a continuation of the same concept.

Just a different twist.

And

if the last one is any indication probably by the time I wake up in the morning there will be several pages of people reiterating their positions from previous posts and NO MEANINGFUL discussion

And

it will get off topic

And

it will get closed again.

So lets try to keep it civil, well mannered and an actual discussion instead of a constant back and forth and it can continue for 4,445 pages for all I care.

So lets see where this one goes.

You have a better chance of getting me to eat a salad :dntknw:

I am glad this has been reopened. It was sad the other one was shut down for cussing. Just out of the blue here come all these dirty words.

While the column was serving no further meaningful purpose it was a distraction from the day to day business that all of us enjoy or endure. Maybe in a different column would be better placed, but still it had value about the subject at hand.

From those other threads I have developed the following policy.

My temperature on ID check with signed credit card will follow my urgency for purchase. If I'm doubled over with a bowel blockage and needing to get home with my Ensure, I'm going to do what it takes to get on the road. If I have been window shopping and picked up a few items they will more than likely be in for a fight. If I'm starving cause I had to work past lunch on some car dealers voice mail system, I'm going to flip the DL out. If I'm killing time and just stuffing my skinny butt, the fight is on!

I'm thinking this will work well for me.

I am glad this has been reopened. It was sad the other one was shut down for cussing.  Just out of the blue here come all these dirty words.

While the column was serving no further meaningful purpose it was a distraction from the day to day business that all of us enjoy or endure. Maybe in a different column would be better placed, but still it had value about the subject at hand.

From those other threads I have developed the following policy.

My temperature on ID check with signed credit card will follow my urgency for purchase.  If I'm doubled over with a bowel blockage and needing to get home with my Ensure, I'm going to do what it takes to get on the road.  If I have been window shopping and picked up a few items they will more than likely be in for a fight.  If I'm starving cause I had to work past lunch on some car dealers voice mail system, I'm going to flip the DL out.  If I'm killing time and just stuffing my skinny butt, the fight is on!

I'm thinking this will work well for me.

Same here... if it's critical that I get the thing, I'll probably just show ID... I'll put up a bit of a fuss first and report them later, though.

On the topic of adding a fee to credit card purchases... that is even dumber than requiring ID on a signed card.

I went to target today and some guy asked for my ID so I shot him.

I went to target today too, had to pay cash. Us bankrupt folks have to preserve with little CL we have for "just in case" My Orchard card was within $93 dollars of being maxed so I lay a $20 on the belt. No ID check. I'd really been curious to know if my mastercard would have required "ZAC" to ask for my ID.

Plus I was sorta in a hurry as I had been dispatched to a Chrysler Plymouth dealer with an out of service PBX due to Hurricane Dennis. They say time is money when the phones aren't ringing. So I took my twinkies and dew and fled.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JerHawk
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines