Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Best Buy asked for ID

The last post in this topic was posted 5499 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Well,

Went to pay for my items at Best Buy, and the clerk asked for additional ID when I handed him my card (didn't even wait for me to sign). Claimed it was now "corporate policy" for ALL credit card transactions. Either the clerk is a dud or the company.

do you not have an ID?

I dont see why people get upset when a store clerk asks for ID.

I was at walmart the other day and a guy got upset when the clerk asked for ID when buying a Movie.....he was 19 or 20 buying a R movie......

The register prompted the clerk to ask and he did.....

Personally, I think it should become mandatory to look at ID for all credit card purchases. It would end a lot of fraud........

Their policy is in violation of MasterCard, Visa, and American Express merchant policies.

File complaints with Best Buy, your card issuer, and Visa/MC/AmEx.

I hope you told them they are in violation, signed, and left without showing them ID. You don't need to. ID CAN NOT BE REQUIRED AS A TERM OF THE SALE IF THE CARD IS SIGNED.

If the card is NOT signed, they can ask (and should) for ID, however.

You think checking ID cuts down on fraud? Mabye... but most fraud is not face-to-face... it's card-not-present stuff like online. Then there's the fact that with your ID info identity theft is easier.

PLUS - fake IDs can be made... illegal -- but so is credit card fraud. Criminals will do it.

I believe it is their company policy. It is at least store-wide policy at one place in Lubbock. Call your issuing bank and 1-800-VISA911 to report them. Not sure about the Mastercard number.

Well,

Went to pay for my items at Best Buy, and the clerk asked for additional ID when I handed him my card (didn't even wait for me to sign).  Claimed it was now "corporate policy" for ALL credit card transactions.  Either the clerk is a dud or the company.

DID YOU TAKE A WALK???

DID YOU CALL 1-800-VISA-911

Edited by GEORGE

do you not have an ID?

I dont see why people get upset when a store clerk asks for ID.

I was at walmart the other day and a guy got upset when the clerk asked for ID when buying a Movie.....he was 19 or 20 buying a R movie......

The register prompted the clerk to ask and he did.....

Personally, I think it should become mandatory to look at ID for all credit card purchases.  It would end a lot of fraud........

YOU LIKE SHOWING ID

SHOW IT!!!

Why would he walk? If you explain that you aren't showing ID, and that you don't have to, they might just say "ok" and you can take your stuff and go without needing to show ID.

If they already swipped your card, and you sign, you've now paid for the items... they are yours.

I used a debit card instead - but told them it was against their merchant agreement. It was for a Platinum Mastercard. I found it insulting, and the card was signed (and a whopping two days old). Not like couldn't read the signature or something.

I used a debit card instead - but told them it was against their merchant agreement.  It was for a Platinum Mastercard.  I found it insulting, and the card was signed (and a whopping two days old).  Not like couldn't read the signature or something.

WHY would they not ask for ID with DEBIT!!!

Edited by Elotemuygrande

Why would he walk?  If you explain that you aren't showing ID, and that you don't have to, they might just say "ok" and you can take your stuff and go without needing to show ID.

If they already swipped your card, and you sign, you've now paid for the items... they are yours.

"IF" THEY DON'T BACK DOWN!!!

TAKE A WALK!!!

"IF" YOU SHOW ID THEY WIN!!!

I used a debit card instead - but told them it was against their merchant agreement.  It was for a Platinum Mastercard.  I found it insulting, and the card was signed (and a whopping two days old).  Not like couldn't read the signature or something.

You might have been charged twice... if they had swipped the mastercard already.

Should not have given in to them...

Why'd the take the debit w/o ID?

PIN #

ACTUALLY - nevermind my question too.

If he did debit with a PIN #, they can't ask for ID on that either (just like a signed card).

Either way, he gave in... they won.

PIN #

*slaps self*

DUH

Even people I know that use debit use it just like a regular VISA(credit transaction, no PIN).

DEBIT card is ONLY for the ATM.

I have so much more credit than bank account I could never go overlimit but I could go overdrafted. DEBIT for me would be stupid.

Edited by Elotemuygrande

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning a request for supplementary information for a Visa transaction. Merchants may not refuse to honor a Visa card simply because the cardholder refuses a request for supplementary information. The only exception is when a Visa card is unsigned when presented. However, "See ID" is not considered a valid signature. In these situations, a merchant must obtain authorization, review additional identification, and require the cardholder to sign the card before completing a transaction.

Many cardholders have expressed concern about the recording of supplementary personal information on a bankcard sales draft. In response, several states have passed legislation that prohibits requiring such information on the transaction form. To find out if your state has passed such legislation, please contact your state legislator's office.

Please notify the disputes area at the financial institution that issued your card account of any merchant practices that you feel are inappropriate. Your card issuing bank has access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by your bank to document and file merchant complaints. It is not necessary for your bank to be the offending merchant's financial institution in order to file a complaint for you.

As an alternative method, to report merchant practices that you feel are inappropriate, you may wish to contact the Visa Call Center Services at 1-800-VISA-911 (1-800-847-2911).

We hope this information proves helpful.

Thank you for writing,

Visa Webmaster

Look its very simple if your asked for ID 2 options.

1 You either show ID

2 Or you walk out.

How many $6/hr clerks are going to know about Visa/MC policys. You might as well be lemonade againest the wind.

End of discussion.....

sterb038.gif

I am drowning in these show-id threads. Is there any chance that people will ever get tired of this topic?

lgt

Look its very simple if your asked for ID 2 options.

1 You either show ID

2 Or you walk out.

How many $6/hr clerks are going to know about Visa/MC policys.  You might as well be lemonade againest the wind.

End of discussion.....

Make a fuss... they may just say "whatever" and you can go without the ID.

With a check card / debit card, the only differences between using pin [debit] or signature [credit] is that using signature can be slower as far as funds actually being removed from the account (there may be a hold, then they are taken).

With pin, it is instant.

Also, with pin, you have less protections (the zero-liability visa policy is only signature based transaction).

Debit is not just for using the ATM - it can be used for purchases.

sterb038.gif

I am drowning in these show-id threads.  Is there any chance that people will ever get tired of this topic?

lgt

It goes a little beyond a pet peeve for some of us.

I won't be questioned, mistrusted, or treated like a criminal suspect if you want my business. No showing ID, and no reciept at the door. I am backed by Visa, Mastercard, and American Express policies and procedures and often by state law.

One of the most irritating things is to watch the sheeplike behavior of customers. They actually wait in line at the door for some $5/hour guy to rub a marker on their reciept while I just walk past the whole mess. I just about blow a gasket when people are thankful they had their ID checked.

That's my REAL pet peeve is to see people just blindly accept whatever they are told to do.

Edited by Elotemuygrande

It's my pet peeve that we need 1498 threads about ID....Walmart asked me for ID, Lowes asked me for ID, Best Buy asked me for ID, my uncle's girlfriends mom asked me for ID.....who caresssssssssssss

Guest picantel

Great another ID thread

With all the rogue collectors, violating CRAs, and abusive OCs out there I can see that we should all move showing IDs to the top of the abuse list.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Nicnac0326
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines