Sign in to follow this  
Caramel_Pinay

Lowes asked me for ID. I told them "NO"

Can you imagine how rampant ID theft would be if nobody asked for ID and everyone knew they did not ask for ID? The thieves would have a field day. that is like saying no more police force. Some of you want to take the only thing stopping an ID attacker away from just walking in to some store and going on a shopping spree. If they ID hack online at least they need an address. In a store they could travel a state over and buy everything they want and just disappear. I have seen some absurd debates before but this takes the case. We have more pressing concerns than you feelings were hurt or your freedom was abused because you were forced to take 10 seconds out of your lives to stop ID theft. The whole point that a clerk is gonna steal your ID info is also absurd. Sure it happens but I would bet my children that it is not even remotely close to the ID theft done from stealing info and using it in stores that was not stolen from a clerk.

PLEASE USE THE IGNORE SERVICE THAT IS PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE AND WE WILL BOTH BE HAPPY

This is a debate George. A debate has two sides. believe it or not people do disagree with you.

Can you imagine how rampant ID theft would be if nobody asked for ID and everyone knew they did not ask for ID? The thieves would have a field day. that is like saying no more police force. Some of you want to take the only thing stopping an ID attacker away from just walking in to some store and going on a shopping spree. If they ID hack online at least they need an address. In a store they could travel a state over and buy everything they want and just disappear. I have seen some absurd debates before but this takes the case. We have more pressing concerns than you feelings were hurt or your freedom was abused because you were forced to take 10 seconds out of your lives to stop ID theft. The whole point that a clerk is gonna steal your ID info is also absurd. Sure it happens but I would bet my children that it is not even remotely close to the ID theft done from stealing info and using it in stores that was not stolen from a clerk.

I got news for you picantel.....our ID theif was issued LEGAL id cards in another state using our identifying information.

So where exactly would ID verification prevented this form of ID theft? For all intents and purposes this person had what appeared to be LEGAL ID Legally issued. And it was issued by California home of the tougest id theft laws in the country.

The whole premise of checking ID for the purposes of verifying identity is bogus on so many levels. The only people it would catch are stupid novice crooks. THe real crooks can have authentic documents in minutes. Notice I didn't say authentic looking documents. I mean actual authentic documents that would pass law enforcement checks. Therefore checking my ID only inconveniences me and exposes me to risk while it does absolutelly ZILCH to reduce fraud and Visa and MC know this even now, which is why the policy hasn't changed one iota.

If the ID issuing pool is already corrupted what purposes does checking ID serve? Absolutely none.

GEORGE seems to be a well-informed guy on credit card policies, retail, and fraud with cards.

I have not yet seen something written by him in these debates that is wrong.

The fact that ID can not be required for a sale on a signed card is a fact... and any retailer violating that is doing it in violation of their agreement with the card companies.

Also - it is true unsigned cards are "NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED"... but most retailers will just check ID.

Why is showing your ID such a big deal? Your card could be stolen and you still signed the back of it?

What are you proving by walking out of a store???

Why is showing your ID such a big deal?  Your card could be stolen and you still signed the back of it?

we are proving that we've got options and can buy elsewhere and they lose a customer, possibly for life.

Why is showing your ID such a big deal?  Your card could be stolen and you still signed the back of it?

BE MY GUEST...YOU SHOW YOUR ID

I DON'T CARE!!!

Why not just glue your ID to your credit card so it is easier to hand both to the cashier?

I wonder how many ID thefts the people here who are against showing IDs have been through. My guess is none. You just have no idea how time consuming having your ID stolen can be or stuff being taken out in your name. NO IDEA.

I have had my identity stolen. When I was in college. I have more than a passing knowledge of what it is like and I am against ID for credit cards. I know how common it is to use id to facilitate fraud and identity theft in Florida.

I just recently had a discussion about this with one of the merchants I frequent. He said that the signing of the charge slip is just a formality and didn't really mean anything. He told me I could have signed Elvis Presley for all he cared. I was told the credit card companies he deals with don't bother asking for the signed charge slips anymore. It's all done electronically now. So using matching signatures as a verification is useless.

He is dead wrong. All MC/Visa agreements require card present transaction receipts to be kept for a certain period of time. I forget off hand how long, but I think it is 3 years. They don't ask for the receipts anymore, because the info is transferred through the phone lines automatically. Back in the day all receipts had to be turned in.

Now, the merchant only needs to hand over the receipt if the customer initiates a chargeback. If your friend lets somone sign a receipt with "Elvis Presley" and they initiate a chargeback, he has no defense. It is automatic, because he can not produce a receipt signed by the alleged cardholder. In card present transactions, it is almost impossible for a merchant to get a chargeback if the follow all of the rules.

Merchants that want to check ID to "prevent fraud", have been burned, because they didn't follow policy. If they did, they wouldn't have any problems with chargebacks.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines