Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Leo

showing ID

If the credit card companies mandated the checking of IDs before completing a CC transaction, I would reluctantly comply. You agree to the terms of the card when you accept the card. But as of now, it's not required and I won't show ID as a condition of sale.

But there are many things to consider before you assume showing ID makes for a safer world.

Consider this. Showing ID can actually facilitate ID theft and credit card fraud. Most credit card fraud is committed by people who only have your card information, and it's mostly done online. Forcing people to show ID opens up the greater possibility of theft of their personal information, resulting in full blown ID theft.

One of the easiest ways to steal card information is through the use of card "skimmers." With many states (and eventually all of them) turning to the use of digital drivers licenses, it's entirely feasible that skimmers can be configured to read the information encoded on those licenses, opening the door to ID theft. Or the information can simply be copied. The point is, the more times you show people your personal information, the more likely it will pass by someone who has less than honorable intentions.

Being forced to show ID will not stop fraud. Anyone engaged in the business of fraud or ID theft will have no problem producing easy to make fake IDs to match whatever infomation they need.

"If" I could show my university id instead of my dl (no ssn, no dob, no address, etc) then MAYBE I would consider it..but it's got my name and my picture.

As of now, I just say "I don't have it" (unless of course I'm in a HURRY, then I reluctantly fork it over--doesn't happen often though).

I actually like the picture on the card's.  Makes things much easier.

You have to show id to write a check so what's the big difference with a credit card?  This is not a invasion of your privacy, your SSN is not on your drivers license.

So when your credit card is duplicated onto a fake card and the credit card company that lost your info did not tell you becuase they're afraid or whatnot.  You're not going to complain to macy's that they did not card the guy that bought a few grand worth of shoes or something?

What would I care? I wouldn't be held responsible for the charges.

Why is it so difficult to understand that while it may not show up as a line item on one's bill, the cost always gets passed down to the lowest rung on the ladder (consumers) in the form of higher prices and/or fees? You most certainly are paying for it.

You're naive if you believe the elimination of fraud will result in those savings being passed down to you. It's part of the cost of doing business, and if eliminated, would simply result in higher profits for the companies involved, not lower pricing to you.

Business 101: Theft is part of the cost of doing business, and the cost of doing business gets passed to the comsumer.

Business 102: The elimination of any cost of doing business results in more profit to the company, not a cost savings to the consumer.

Why do we have two threads about this now?

AND WHY DO YOU ASK???

Because unless I get a good answer, this whole place is getting shut down.

AND EXACTLY WHO WOULD BE THE ONE SHUTTING DOWN?

Do NOT let your alligator mouth let your mockingbird A$$ bite off more than you can chew up.

AND WHY DO YOU ASK???

What exactly is your issue Justin? And why are you making idle threats about "shutting us down"?

I'd like to know this as well....

I would LOVE a copy of the Visa/MC policy stating that it is against the TOS to ask for ID.

I want to carry it in my wallet to show every store manager when I refuse to show it and challenge them to follow the rules by simply comparing the signatures.

The 3 most important reasons for me using credit cards are cash/rewards back, purchase protection, and convenience. The first 2 are self-explanitory, the 3rd is more involving. Unlike writing checks, swiping a card is easy, no writing out a check, no showing of ID-the license is very vulnerable. With the card I'm in and out. This is a huge reason why I use a card. FAST. My time is money, right now I wouldn't go to a gas station where I was forced to go inside to pay.

I think if the CC were required to mandate showing ID, a lot of CC usage would go down. Many people don't use CC's for rewards. Though many people use them because they don't have the money to pay, convenience really sells the cc.

I vote NO on ID requirement.

Edited by TrevorHere

Do NOT let your alligator mouth let your mockingbird A$$ bite off more than you can chew up.

TOO FUNNY!!! :blink::P:rofl:

And George..not withstanding your LORD or GOD standing... CREDIT CARDS ARE NOT MONEY EITHER!!!

And yes I do ask for ID sometimes. 4 yrs ago I sold some high dollar electronics to a gentleman who charged it on "his" VISA card...to the tune of $1800. Well 2 wks later VISA is telling us they are going to CHARGE BACK to the store the $1800....The card was stolen and the THEIF signed the cardholders name on back so the signatures matched...VISA inquired if we had ID'ed this person..(company rules said to ID CC purchases oner $200.00). I HAD TO TELL THE TRUTH AND SAID I ONLY MATCHED SIGNATURES (VISAS RULE!). Result ...VISA charged back the $1800.00 and I was FIRED for not following COMPANY RULES, therefore failing to protect the companys assets. VISA said IF the person has shown ID that matched the cardholders name then there would not have been a chargeback!

So as far as I am concerned NUFF SAID!!!

I would LOVE a copy of the Visa/MC policy stating that it is against the TOS to ask for ID.

I want to carry it in my wallet to show every store manager when I refuse to show it and challenge them to follow the rules by simply comparing the signatures.

found it on the other thread:

http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsroom/pr...earch#anchor_18

Are merchants allowed to set a minimum transaction amount for consumers who wish to use their Visa card?

Merchants are prohibited from establishing a minimum transaction amount for all Visa transactions.

Are merchants allowed to ask for identification when using Visa products?

While a merchant may ask for identification if fraud is suspected, it is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer’s Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call 1-800-VISA-911.

It sounds like MC/Visa wants it both ways. No ID unless fraud is suspected. Then Charges back because you did not ID and it was fraud. Maybe they should send out a crystal ball or at least a Magic 8 Ball with there merchant account kits. Then you can ask the 8 ball if you need to check ID for this transaction.

BTW I don't care what they SAY their policy is. I do not believe they will cancel a merchent account for asking for ID. Not gonna happen.

Edited by johnm160

It sounds like MC/Visa wants it both ways. No ID unless fraud is suspected. Then Charges back because you did not ID and it was fraud. Maybe they should send out a crystal ball or at least a Magic 8 Ball with there merchant account kits. Then you can ask the 8 ball if you need to check ID for this transaction.

BTW I don't care what they SAY their policy is. I do not believe they will cancel a merchent account for asking for ID. Not gonna happen.

Then all the merchant would have to start doing is to say they suspect fraud on each transaction. Does seem like kind of a vague policy. Either have a policy to check the id or not but don't bog it down with a bunch of vague requirements.

Justin, I see you watching this thread. I want an explanation to your threat. It would be in your best interest to explain it.

ya can't mess with the imaginary enigma also known as Zeus :)

ya can't mess with the imaginary enigma also known as Zeus  :)

Good thing you fixed that. lol

Tee had it right.

AND WHY DO YOU ASK???

Care to explain this threat Justin?

Some guy ran by my computer as I was preparing to write a thoughtful, meaningful post and put that in and hit "Add Reply." Then, with lightning fast fingers, he put a virus on my computer that locked it up so I couldn't get back on to edit it before the edit button timed out. Don't worry, I am OKAY. Man this neighborhood is getting bad.

AND WHY DO YOU ASK???

Care to explain this threat Justin?

Some guy ran by my computer as I was preparing to write a thoughtful, meaningful post and put that in and hit "Add Reply." Then, with lightning fast fingers, he put a virus on my computer that locked it up so I couldn't get back on to edit it before the edit button timed out. Don't worry, I am OKAY. Man this neighborhood is getting bad.

Is someone smoking something?? :)

I smell something funky...

Bullshit-Negation_in-color_small-Sign.gif

Edited by TeeSharice

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tianaj
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines