Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Tip to increase positive accounts

If you apply for and am approved for a card before the date they report to CRA's you still get a Paid on time notation on your report. I just saw this for the two Juniper accounts I opened and the Providian.

"If you apply for and am approved for a card before the date they report to CRA's you still get a Paid on time notation on your report."

Yet another observation supporting Special Relativity.

I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where a card would report before you applied for it, unless it's possible to transmit information backwards in time.

Example. Card is applied for an approved on 7/18 the bank that issues the card sends their info on 7/20 and you don't don't get the card until 7/29 because your card was opened prior to 7/20 you get credit for the 0 due 7/20 because you could not spend on the card until you get it in August.

That happened to me when I opened my Walmart MC card. Reported 0 balance and on time before I got the card.

The other odd thing that happened was I got about a 40 point bump in FICOs because the bucket I was in had dropped my scores a large amount for having balances on all my existing cards even though the balances were quite low compared to my CLs. The additional, 0 balance card recovered my scores even though it was also a new account reporting.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, cashnocredit said:

That happened to me when I opened my Walmart MC card. Reported 0 balance and on time before I got the card.

The other odd thing that happened was I got about a 40 point bump in FICOs because the bucket I was in had dropped my scores a large amount for having balances on all my existing cards even though the balances were quite low compared to my CLs. The additional, 0 balance card recovered my scores even though it was also a new account reporting.

Utilization ratios look at not just overall percentages on each card and total available, but ALSO the ratio of cards with a balance to cards.  This is why only ONE card should report a small balance for maximum score potential...

1 hour ago, centex said:

Utilization ratios look at not just overall percentages on each card and total available, but ALSO the ratio of cards with a balance to cards.  This is why only ONE card should report a small balance for maximum score potential...

This was the older FICO from about 5 years ago. One card with a balance was optimal and there were small drops as the number with balances increased but when all of them had small balances it dropped like a stone. So when the new Walmart account reported (with only $800 CL-lol  My other cards were all 10K or more), and it had zero balance, there was a strong pop up which overcame the new account penalty. That showed up later when I zeroed out most of the balances. It was only a few points IIRC. Also, the newer FICO score is much less sensitive to having all the cards reported balances. I see FICOs now drop only about 10 points from 810 to 800 or so with small balances on all accounts. OTOH, my accounts are a lot older.  I no longer prepay balances as the differences are not material and I'm not really into the optimize FICO thingy anymore. It's good enough.

Edited by cashnocredit

On 6/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, cashnocredit said:

This also happened to me with PenFed.  I’m assuming the challenge is figuring out the closing date. 

10 hours ago, misterq said:

This also happened to me with PenFed.  I’m assuming the challenge is figuring out the closing date. 

Shouldn't be a challenge...a call to the customer service number on the card will generally yield that information.