Removing Old Addresses

The last post in this topic was posted 1861 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to credit repair. I've read a lot on this forum about removing old addresses (can't admit that I haven't read more than a couple pages in each thread) but I don't understand this whole idea still. I just recently moved to a new address. I've reported this address to all of my accounts in positive standing, but have 4 credit card accounts in negative standing (90-120 days late) due to my unemployment as well as 3 old medical collections that I have not reported my new address to yet.

The all credit cards were opened under an address where I lived 2+ addresses ago, and went into negative standing under my last address. Can someone please explain, in salamander-proof form, what I should pursue and why???

I still don't understand what removing these previous address that I've lived at does. Sorry for the confusion!

When you have ONLY your current address on your credit report, you make it as hard as possible for CAs to "verify" information with partial matches, etc.

Probably the best thread on CB about this is: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=369820&p=3444018

Thank you! I had actually read that post before I posted in here, but it just doesn't give the whole process of what to do next (step-by-step) toward getting the item removed. I've read through a lot of the credit repair 101 posts on here, but there are just hundreds of pages of posts to read through and the information is kind of scattered.

Once I remove all old addresses, do I do the "1-2 punch" method with the collection agency? Or what is the next step, in detail?? Thank you again!!!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to credit repair. I've read a lot on this forum about removing old addresses (can't admit that I haven't read more than a couple pages in each thread) but I don't understand this whole idea still. I just recently moved to a new address. I've reported this address to all of my accounts in positive standing, but have 4 credit card accounts in negative standing (90-120 days late) due to my unemployment as well as 3 old medical collections that I have not reported my new address to yet.

The all credit cards were opened under an address where I lived 2+ addresses ago, and went into negative standing under my last address. Can someone please explain, in salamander-proof form, what I should pursue and why???

I still don't understand what removing these previous address that I've lived at does. Sorry for the confusion!

When you have ONLY your current address on your credit report, you make it as hard as possible for CAs to "verify" information with partial matches, etc.

Probably the best thread on CB about this is: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=369820&p=3444018

Thank you! I had actually read that post before I posted in here, but it just doesn't give the whole process of what to do next (step-by-step) toward getting the item removed. I've read through a lot of the credit repair 101 posts on here, but there are just hundreds of pages of posts to read through and the information is kind of scattered.

Once I remove all old addresses, do I do the "1-2 punch" method with the collection agency? Or what is the next step, in detail?? Thank you again!!!

After removing old addresses, and if you have a CA you need to deal with, I would send a DV letter to that CA.

And, if I may clarify.. Are you asking what to do, in order to HAVE old addresses removed? (Separate from what removing old addresses can do in benefiting you, you want to know HOW to make that happen, yes?)

After removing old addresses, and if you have a CA you need to deal with, I would send a DV letter to that CA.

And, if I may clarify.. Are you asking what to do, in order to HAVE old addresses removed? (Separate from what removing old addresses can do in benefiting you, you want to know HOW to make that happen, yes?)

Thank you again, and I think I may have found the answer to my own question with your last response, so maybe you can let me know if I'm on track now:

Have the CRAs remove the old addresses, then simply send a DV letter to the CA. If the CA doesn't respond within 30 days, or can't provide proof of debt, then the item will be removed from my credit report? If that's at all accurate, how exactly do I go about getting the collection account get removed from the credit report if the CA doesn't respond or can't provide proof?

Thank you again, and I think I may have found the answer to my own question with your last response, so maybe you can let me know if I'm on track now:

Have the CRAs remove the old addresses, then simply send a DV letter to the CA. If the CA doesn't respond within 30 days, or can't provide proof of debt, then the item will be removed from my credit report? If that's at all accurate, how exactly do I go about getting the collection account get removed from the credit report if the CA doesn't respond or can't provide proof?

:good:

IIRC, you can then send a letter to the CRAs demanding removal, since the CA did not meet its burden under FCRA/FDCPA (Fair Debt Collectors Practices Act,) and that should do it (reporting an illegal collection.)

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20 :good:

I should also point out that what I described is different than a 1-2 punch. A thread on the 1-2 punch can be found here http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=428895 :dntknw:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what was the outcome of removing your old address? I actually initiated a dispute with EQ but also had my lawyers draft up a letter to dispute the information as well.

• 2 months later...

In many cases, a simple phone call to the CRA can get old invalid addresses removed, however, some folks are having a problem with that issue, so here are some ideas that may work.

First, of course, make sure you have opted out and have give it enough time (2-3 weeks) to "take".

Next, take a close look at the addresses you wish removed,if there is the SLIGHTEST discrepancy, write a short note to the CRA, include a copy of a current utility bill with your current address, and a copy of your drivers license with your current address, say this" Enclosed please find proof of my residence address, please remove the address of XXXXX as shown on my credit report # xxxx, as it is inaccurate and I am concerned that this inaccurate address may create an opportunity for identity theft.

If there is NO inaccuracy,or if it was a P.O. Box, substitute the underlined phrase with this:"as I have not lived there (or had that PO Box #) for quite some time, and since many other people have been using that address (PO Box#) in the years since I was there, I am concerned that the reporting of this address on my current report may create an opportunity for identity theft"( you can add this if appropriate "as I have a fairly common name")

-Is it still important to wait 2-3 weeks for opting out to "take"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to add. I know its been covered a lot but I simply called TU and equifax today and requested to have names, old addresses, work info , and bad numbers deleted and both CRA's did it with out hesitation. I had trouble finding an equifax number that would let me talk to a rep. Every number on my new report was an automated system.

This is the number I found online that got me right through with no problems to a live person.

Equifax 1800-846-5279

• 3 months later...

hi

thats a nice advice. ive a quick qstion here.. ive a baddy on my CR where i lived few years ago and three CAs are referring to it on exp. an year ago i moved back there and i lived till recently and i have one CA to it. the difference is the first baddy although refers to same address as second doesnot have the apart# complete instead of ###x it has ### u guys think i can do something here. also i just notice in exp two times my name is spelled wrong with missing letters with two different name ids.... how abt it... thanks for ur help

Just to add. I know its been covered a lot but I simply called TU and equifax today and requested to have names, old addresses, work info , and bad numbers deleted and both CRA's did it with out hesitation. I had trouble finding an equifax number that would let me talk to a rep. Every number on my new report was an automated system.

This is the number I found online that got me right through with no problems to a live person.

Equifax 1800-846-5279

I contacted TU today after not being able to get back into the TU interactive site, they deleted the addresses and bad numbers right over the phone :good:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Whychat.

I started deleting address only 4 days after opting out. Let me tell you its been so tough to get the addressess deleted. The reps delete them and they spring back up. I suspect it might have been due to the opting out not taking effect. I will wait another 2 weeks before I try again.

I forgot to opt out of Innovis. I also found out that paypal shares your address with the CRA's. I read their privacy policy today. I have had my identity misused so privacy is very important to me not to mention its effect on my credit. I am guessing I have only begun to scratch the surface of this. Next is old addresses with my bank? yikes!

Thanks again Whychat, awesome post. :grin:

I have a somewhat related question. I have addresses of rental properties I own on my credit report. Sometimes they seem take over as my current address even though I've never lived there. Is there any way to address that? The CRAs just say "Well that's the address your mortgage company is reporting, so we have to report it that way". The mortgage statements are addressed to my personal residence though.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to get an old address deleted from my fiancé's report. Tu and EQ did it no problem with an online dispute. When I tried Tu for my report, it went through a different system of steps even though we used the same link?!?!

Apparently Ex won't do online dispute unless you mark it "I have never lived there" or "fraud alert". So he called and the car refused. We will be sending out handwritten letters as soon as his new license comes in the mail. But all the utilities are in my name, so I'm not sure what mail he should send!

• 3 months later...

Two questions on having old addresses removed via online dispute:

1. Should I, or is it just better in general to go with a phone call?

2. Equifax (the only one I've tried so far) only gives three options. This address is not mine, belongs to a family member, or fraud. Would I want to use "not mine" if it's just old?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Aside from negative report accociated with old addresses Do many addresses do the frequent moves impact my credit score?

No. Frequent moves or addresses have no bearing on FICO score.

FICO score consists of:

35% payment history
30% amounts owed
15% length of credit history
10% new credit
10% credit mix
EDIT: Ooops.. didn't see that question was from a year ago. :blush2:
Edited by deanmartini

Well I started today, and called equifax. asked to remove old addresses and the girl didn't have any problem submitting it to remove addresses. i guess i get an email when it's done.

:good:

Can do it online too with EQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I have several addresses in which I am requesting removal due as it has been several years, in addition I wish to request the various versions of my name to be removed. If I have accounts older than seven years, although CA is reporting as newer, can I request all of these deletions in the same letter? I only have one that is within seven years and it is an unknown. This is on my EX. Please advise. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have several addresses in which I am requesting removal due as it has been several years, in addition I wish to request the various versions of my name to be removed. If I have accounts older than seven years, although CA is reporting as newer, can I request all of these deletions in the same letter? I only have one that is within seven years and it is an unknown. This is on my EX. Please advise. Thank you.

EX is very difficult to get to remove addresses and names. I suggest you start here:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=528144

It is generally not advised to dispute addresses and accounts at the same time. Once you have gotten as much of the addresses/names deleted that you can, start a thread of your own with details about the accounts you are dealing with, and we will be able to advise you further.

so what your saying is to write the CA about the old addresses to get then to take them off??? Then I can start the dispute process for my credit reports?

yes

The last post in this topic was posted 1861 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.