Sign in to follow this  
Why Chat

Removing Old Addresses

In many cases, a simple phone call to the CRA can get old invalid addresses removed, however, some folks are having a problem with that issue, so here are some ideas that may work.

First, of course, make sure you have opted out and have give it enough time (2-3 weeks) to "take".

Next, take a close look at the addresses you wish removed,if there is the SLIGHTEST discrepancy, write a short note to the CRA, include a copy of a current utility bill with your current address, and a copy of your drivers license with your current address, say this" Enclosed please find proof of my residence address, please remove the address of XXXXX as shown on my credit report # xxxx, as it is inaccurate and I am concerned that this inaccurate address may create an opportunity for identity theft.

If there is NO inaccuracy,or if it was a P.O. Box, substitute the underlined phrase with this:"as I have not lived there (or had that PO Box #) for quite some time, and since many other people have been using that address (PO Box#) in the years since I was there, I am concerned that the reporting of this address on my current report may create an opportunity for identity theft"( you can add this if appropriate "as I have a fairly common name")

Thanks Whychat - Your advice is always most useful and there are a couple of phrases in there I shall use on my next letter.

WhyChat- what can I do if the CRA's are adding my MIL address when the cards of hers that I am an AU on post? (Especially regarding EX and their "connected to TL's" deal)

Thanks

WhyChat- what can I do if the CRA's are adding my MIL address when the cards of hers that I am an AU on post? (Especially regarding EX and their "connected to TL's" deal)

Thanks

<_< Send the CRA a letter and tell them the truth about the address being your MIL, not yours, give them the account # also of the account that you are AU on.

Of course, you risk having that account shown as in dispute or deleted, so if your MIL has no problem with misaddressed mail for you coming to her address, leave it alone.

This was my experience with having old addresses removed. So far I have only dealt with Experian and they were o.k, but not great. I had a lot of addresses that were incorrect, like for expample the zip code was wrong, or it was MIL's address. They removed most of them except for an address in CT. that I never lived at, but was reported incorrectly by a bank that I applied for a mortgage with. That is why they didn't remove it. They said I had to go to the OC and I explained that I only applied, and that I went with another bank and it was highly unlikely they would help me since they didn't get my money! I tried the ID theft angle and they didn't care, they said it was impossible. I have called three times and they still will not remove. On another note, I opted out with Experian and somehow that opt out transferred to Equifax whom I have not contacted about opting out. Odd.

as for "opting out" if you do it thru one it is suppose to opt you out at the other two as well...

In many cases, a simple phone call to the CRA can get old invalid addresses removed, however, some folks are having a problem with that issue, so here are some ideas that may work.

First, of course, make sure you have opted out and have give it enough time (2-3 weeks) to "take".

Next, take a close look at the addresses you wish removed,if there is the SLIGHTEST discrepancy, write a short note to the CRA, include a copy of a current utility bill with your current address, and a copy of your drivers license with your current address, say this" Enclosed please find proof of my residence address, please remove the address of XXXXX as shown on my credit report # xxxx, as it is inaccurate and I am concerned that this inaccurate address may create an opportunity for identity theft.

If there is NO inaccuracy,or if it was a P.O. Box, substitute the underlined phrase with this:"as I have not lived there (or had that PO Box #) for quite some time, and since many other people have been using that address (PO Box#) in the years since I was there, I am concerned that the reporting of this address on my current report may create an opportunity for identity theft"( you can add this if appropriate "as I have a fairly common name")

Does removing old addresses raise your credit score?

I am having hell columbia getting these taken care of, too.

First, TU did it. Now my current addy is the OLD addy I had deleted!

Experian flat out told me, "NO."

Equifax won't even accept my letter.

I am so frustrated. :lol:

Do you risk losing positive tradelines by removing old addresses? For example, I have some old positive trade lines from 8 years ago when I lived at another address. If I remove that address, do I risk losing the tradeline?

Do you risk losing positive tradelines by removing old addresses? For example, I have some old positive trade lines from 8 years ago when I lived at another address.  If I remove that address, do I risk losing the tradeline?

I was wondering this too

They removed most of them except for an address in CT. that I never lived at, but was reported incorrectly by a bank that I applied for a mortgage with. That is why they didn't remove it. They said I had to go to the OC and I explained that I only applied, and that I went with another bank and it was highly unlikely they would help me since they didn't get my money!  I tried the ID theft angle and they didn't care, they said it was impossible.

This happened to my DW with EXP. It's still showing, they refuse to delete it, even though she has never lived there, or even close. They told her it's probably the bank's address, and even though the bank knows it's not her's, they took it upon themselves to report it as such.

EXP took several different phone calls to delete the others. They were especially difficult for some reason. EQ and TU were simple.

She even sent a copy of her SS# and DL to prove her identity and current address...it didn't help.

After I got off the phone with Experian and they said they would remove the old addys, I'm still watching to see it actually happen - I thought it would be instant as it appeared to me at least that they were removing them while we spoke. Does it still take a few days to show up?

Does removing old addresses raise your credit score?

No, it does nothing to change your score. What it accomplishes for many people is to remove information which " can " be used to verify account information. If a person had negatives on her/s report, then disputed as " inaccurate " or " not mine " with the CRA, the presence of matching addresses can help the CRA verify the information is correct.

If the addresses did not match the CRA would more likely be forced to use outside data to verify the account information, which increases the chances the data could not be verified.

If negative accounts were then deleted, most scores would go up. So in a roundabout way, deleting old addresses can increase the chances of a higher score with an actively disputing consumer's report and score.

Yeah, me too when it comes to EX I have sent the letter and my DH has called I don't know how many times. I keep telling him not to give up yet. Just today got an update and about half of them were removed but the ones that really need deleted are still there. I guess I will have him call again.

I have had luck with ex and eq I keep calling back until I get someone who speaks american they help and understand those of them in INDIA love to stick it to us AMERICANS.

I have had luck with ex and eq I keep calling back until I get someone who speaks american  they help and understand those of them in INDIA love to stick it to us AMERICANS.

But people in India do speak English. Actually they are bilingual.

I think your 'anger' is displaced. They have been hired by our corporations who decided to outsource and they picked up the work.

I have had luck with ex and eq I keep calling back until I get someone who speaks american   they help and understand those of them in INDIA love to stick it to us AMERICANS.

I think your 'anger' is displaced. They have been hired by our corporations who decided to outsource and they picked up the work.

I am not angry and ENGLISH is much much different then AMERICAN

I have had luck with ex and eq I keep calling back until I get someone who speaks american   they help and understand those of them in INDIA love to stick it to us AMERICANS.

Oh puleeeeze, let's NOT GO THERE PEOPLE!!! :yahoo::stop::stop:

This is an important thread Why Chat started. Let's keep the thread on the original topic.