Sign in to follow this  
missty1029

Duns and Bradstreet-Your Credit File

rigirl (or to anyone who can answer this appropriately)

I was actually thinking of using a mailing center addy for my business because currently I rent and my address as an apartment number in it. Would I be better off maybe leasing a tiny business office just for physical presence? I would really hate to list an apartment number on applications. Secondly, the efficiency and reliability of mail in my area is terrible.

Any thoughts?

instead of using APT# 230 say suite 230

:D Hi all-

I am new to this site and have read through some of the information posted. I have noticed that all of you have a plethora of information. It's amazing! Anyway, I have a file, which DNB calls "support" file. I am only able to update my contact information over the phone and I can't do anything else with my file. The representative said that in order for me to add financials, trade references, etc. to my file, I would have to upgrade, which would cost $500. The only way around that was to find a company that would launch an investigation, if the information in my profile was incomplete (when applying for credit). In this case, I would be contacted by a DNB representative who would request all of the information needed to complete my file free of charge to me. My question is, does anyone know a company that I could request credit from, (which they would find an incomplete file when checking my business credit) would launch an investigation?

Thanks for your help in advance, Sadiqa

rigirl (or to anyone who can answer this appropriately)

I was actually thinking of using a mailing center addy for my business because currently I rent and my address as an apartment number in it. Would I be better off maybe leasing a tiny business office just for physical presence? I would really hate to list an apartment number on applications. Secondly, the efficiency and reliability of mail in my area is terrible.

Any thoughts?

instead of using APT# 230 say suite 230

Or unit, I try to use unit number whenever I can. But some companies have a system that looks up your address and they can tell what it really is, so it makes it hard sometimes to not give that impression.

I just Called D&B and told them I was applying for a fed Grant to get a rushed Duns # and they asked me for the Grant #. They said that It has to express on the application that a duns # is Needed.

Does anyone know where I could find that???

I just Called D&B and told them I was applying for a fed Grant to get a rushed Duns # and they asked me for the Grant #. They said that It has to express on the application that a duns # is Needed.

I don't know about grants. When I got my number I told them it was so I could be a federal "sub-contractor".

Ok, the last thing i posted got pulled from the board for solicating, even though I have no connection with the company except i became a customer. Anyway I am not clear on what is solicating and what is not. So I am going to post this one anyway and hopefully this will not also be consider a solication.

i used this company to get my duns number really quick. www.ccr.gov I started an application and then they gave me a number to call to get my duns number. I don't remember the telephone number but if you go there you can get it. I got my duns number VERY FAST. No paydex or other stuff just my duns number.

Good luck

I got the same thing when I called today for the first time to apply. Now, the lady was a little rude and told me "they need the grant # in order to provide me with the DUNS #". I went online and researched for FEDERAL GRANTS... there are a couple sites that will give you the grant #.. for example, if "applying" for one with the Department of Education, then the # begins with something like ED-GRANTS-######-###. There are thousands of them online, direct from the governemtn, and from all departments, so pick one and call...

After I called again, and gave my grant #, the other lady placed me on hold forever (well, like 5 mins)... and then I hung up. I called again and told the guy (why are they nicer with the opposite sex?) that I've called in several ocassions to request a # for a Federal Grant and got hung up, placed on hold, etc. He didn't even ask for the grant # (after I did my research), asked me all the info regarding the business and gave me my number.

Do I need an EIN for my business? We're just starting and are not making that much money!

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, for a legitimate business, you need an EIN number, because to get a bank account they will use that. If not they and others will ask for your social, and that totally negates the protections afforded with obtaining business credit.

Thanks so much for this information,

I was wondering if you could explain the EU update a little more.

What EU actually stands for and How I would find it.

I don't know about grants. When I got my number I told them it was so I could be a federal "sub-contractor".

Hey guys, i just wanted to chime in on this particular topic since I now have personal experience with it. B)

I called D&B around Dec 20 to get a Duns number. Went through the menu for "gov grants" and lady asked for an ap number. Of course, I didn't have that... so I said I would just go ahead and fill it out online and wait for it.

So, I went online, picked "just a duns number" and filled it all out. Hit submit and nothing happened. Hit it again... a couple times... nothing. Found a number to call, which I did, and told the guy of my woes, that I just hit submit and am sitting here. He went through all sorts of tech questions, nothing worked. Then the correct screen pops up out of nowhere, and we both think I am done.

I wait till today, with no word about what my number is or anything, and so I called. Got transfreed to grants and contrascting department, and she found my info, but it looked like it had been tossed because I had not responded to something. I didn't get anything to respond to. So she said I could wait and see if it eventually shows up, but she thought it wouldn't. I could get it right then with her, but there was a possibility that one was issued and there would be two files. They cannot be merged later and one would be deleted.

I got my number right then with her, and I doubt if there will be two files.

So, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

On January 25th (last Monday) I used the ccr.gov site and got a DUNS number within 24 hours.

But, I tried using the search on the main D&B page today (you can search by number) and my info. is not coming up. (This is at http://www.dnb.com/us/ then click on advanced search).

Is there a lag time between the time I get my number and the time it should show in the DUNS online system?

Obviously if I can't log on anonymously and see that my company is assigned that number, the creditors I am applying to can't find that information out either.

Should I be worried and contact D&B, or should I give it more time?

Thanks!

John

OK, here's a question. I just sprang for the comprehensive report, because I'm planning on building up the TLs. In the Payment Analysis section, where they break down your payment history, there's an entry for $500 balance, $500 due, $0 past due" - under the category "Unfavorable Comments".

What the heck is THAT? :)

I'm going to call them in the AM and see what's up.

Also, I have a Paydex but no D&B score ... when does D&B actually score you?

Thanks, all!

Noob with a question on topic about DNB and Paydex

Got my DNB number about a year ago, but when they called wanting money creditbuilder told them not interested and put it out of my mind. Until the other day I pulled up my account and noticed I had a Paydex score of 62. I never gave out my Duns number and was wondering how I would look to vendors I'm applying for credit with. I just started with the list of credit apps. suggested on another post.

Any comments would be helpful here, and I'm enjoying the vast knowledge set before me.

I called the toll-free number and was not able to obtain a DUNS. So I went to ccr.gov on tuesday and I received my number today! :clapping: I've been reading on what to do now. So it outta be pretty interesting. This site is great!

Edited by sniper

I got the same thing when I called today for the first time to apply. Now, the lady was a little rude and told me "they need the grant # in order to provide me with the DUNS #". I went online and researched for FEDERAL GRANTS... there are a couple sites that will give you the grant #.. for example, if "applying" for one with the Department of Education, then the # begins with something like ED-GRANTS-######-###. There are thousands of them online, direct from the governemtn, and from all departments, so pick one and call...

After I called again, and gave my grant #, the other lady placed me on hold forever (well, like 5 mins)... and then I hung up. I called again and told the guy (why are they nicer with the opposite sex?) that I've called in several ocassions to request a # for a Federal Grant and got hung up, placed on hold, etc. He didn't even ask for the grant # (after I did my research), asked me all the info regarding the business and gave me my number.

Do I need an EIN for my business? We're just starting and are not making that much money!

I think its important what you tell them when you call them. Their link

https://eupdate.dnb.com/requestoptions/government/ccrreg/

says

"Assignment of the DUNS number is free for ....federal contractors, prospective government vendors and applicants and recipients of federal grants"

Has anybody called them and said that you might be a 'prospective government vendor' instead of mentioning grants?? This should be a lot easier. I am about to get a DUNS number for my 2nd company and want it right away. The first time around, I waited for 30 days and did not get it. I then called the sales manager and told him that D and B was engaging in unfair business practises and preventing me from getting my DUNS number. He helped me to get it within 24 hours. I would like to avoid that mess and time period and go through the above link, stating that I may be a 'prospective government vendor'.

Any suggestions?

After reading through this thread, I've been able to get my DUNS number. Thanks to everyone!

Now I've been reading other threads that say I should get an Experian Biz credit rating. How do I get my corporation on Experian's system? Is there a number that I should apply for directly on Experian's website?

Thanks,

uptempo777

Someone just replied to me on another thread that I had started -

Experian's reports are available for a fee at www.smartbusinessreports.com.

Looks like there is no free way to see your report. Also what I hear is that Experian simply creates a credit file once your vendors start reporting - so there is no application process or number to get.

Anyone who might know more, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

Can anyone help me with this?

Got a DUNS number by saying that I needed it to go goverment bids

and the next day I logged in and presto my numbers there...then today

I get this message:

Warning:

This account has been locked out.

Please call customer service to reset your password.

(866) 472-7362

What's up with this?? Has this happened to anyone else on this board?

Let me know your comments.

Thanks.

I have a question about this. I got a DUNS number also, but everytime I check for my company info, I cannot find it, and it cannot find the DUNS # in the database. I called on of the reps and they said that they number would not be in there for 30-45 days. Is this true? Or like karosmom, should I be able to view it immediately? It's been almost two weeks now and still I can't view it, or if I type my company name it doesn't appear.

ALso, can anyone out there who has that unlimited credit file checking service pull a report for me? I would GREATLY appreciate it, would like to see the info in a previous companies file before I take it over.

Did you receive an email confirmation? Also the easiest way to obtain a duns is to go through http://www.ccr.gov.

I got my duns in two days along with a wealth of other info..

Yes That was a very easy way. Got my number in one day. I went to the eupdate site and got a password with in hours.

Thanks for the information :)

I get this message:

Warning:

(866) 472-7362

What's up with this? Has this happened to anyone else on this board?

Thanks.

Not the lockout but....

I already have a small business but wasn't listed on Duns...never had heard of it. I also have credit already with my biz ...

Ok, so after reading the boards(great resource) I applied online for a DNB # without buying any of their adons.

I have been getting voice and emails regarding needing info.

What possibly more can they need?

I will be getting back to her Wednesday.

I get this message:

Warning:

(866) 472-7362

What's up with this? Has this happened to anyone else on this board?

Thanks.

Not the lockout but....

I already have a small business but wasn't listed on Duns...never had heard of it. I also have credit already with my biz ...

Ok, so after reading the boards(great resource) I applied online for a DNB # without buying any of their adons.

I have been getting voice and emails regarding needing info.

What possibly more can they need?

I will be getting back to her Wednesday.

They are going to ask you some basic information about your company, how many employees, length of establishment, owners, financials etc.

I have a existing DUNs number and filing with the eUpdate. Should I just take that and modify it? Or do I just make a new one?

Also what a good place for me to file a LLC?

Edited by jdmscene