Sign in to follow this  
missty1029

Duns and Bradstreet-Your Credit File

Hi!

If I bump up my Paydex score to 80, how do the trade terms change with suppliers?

For example, if I currently have a Paydex score of 50 and my vendors are offering me net 15. Will my vendors offer me net 30 if I get my Paydex score to 80?

would be curious to know your thoughts and experiences on what the sensitivity of the Paydex score is to terms offered by vendors. Can I use a Paydex score of 80 to negotiate better trade terms with vendors, and what are my chances of success?

Many thanks!

Frustration with D&B...

I just got off the phone with D&B where I had a marvelous conversation with a woman who was supposed to help me get some incorrect information corrected on my D&B company report.

Unfortunately, this individual had no interest in doing that… why? Because I haven’t bought the $361 lifetime DUNS number registration package.

I was trying to get my record updated since D&B claimed to have checked with my state’s Secretary of State’s office and didn’t find a corporate charter… and they reflect that statement in my DUNS file. Amazingly, my corporate charter was in my very hands for two weeks before I registered for a DUNS number, so I contact D&B hoping to get that seemingly derogatory statement removed from my DUNS file. What I got was someone pushing the $361 lifetime DUNS registration on me.

“Well sir, the reason it says you don’t have a corporate charter is because you haven’t paid for our lifetime DUNS registration…â€

I rebutted calmly.

“Well sir, there are two different types of DUNS records verified and unverified, and yours is unverified, and the only way to change that is by paying the $330…â€

I rebutted calmly.

“Well sir, if someone were to contact us about your company we really don’t have any information on your company since you haven’t paid for our registration to validate your DUNS number…â€

I rebutted calmly. I inform her that I have my DUNS report in front of me.

“Well sir, D&B doesn’t stand by your company as real until you purchase our DUNS registration. Anyone can get a free DUNS number…â€

I attempt to rebut politely, but since I interrupted her she continued…

“Well sir, I can see that you’re upset. What I’ll do is send you information explaining the difference between the verified and unverified DUNS accounts…â€

At that point I raised my voice for the first time, “I don’t need any sales material to try and sell me on your registration package. What I need is you to fix your mistake on my DUNS report, you guys claim to have talked to the Secretary of State’s office two full weeks after I got my corporate charter and certificate of incorporation, and you have incorrectly reported the information on my report.â€

At some point she interrupted me and offered to transfer me to the Update Office, which I accepted. (The number is 866-834-4699, in case anyone else would like to bypass the sales team.)

Oh really now… and only “real†companies can pay $330 to register the number… come on now. I’m registered with the CCR, registered as a state vendor in one state and as a state approved contractor in another, and have been incorporated for nearly six months. I pay taxes on my business! But, uh-oh, if I don’t pay D&B my business suddenly isn’t real?

This lady reminds me of the people I worked with when I did telemarketing in college. No class, doesn’t listen to a damn thing you say, and keeps harping the sale.

Now once I was transferred to the Update Office, the foreign sounding gentleman who talked to me was very happy to update the information for me… and I didn’t even have to pay the $361. (Although he said it would take 1 to 2 business days for it to show up on the report, so who really knows, maybe they will try and extort me for $330 before they correct THEIR mistake.)

Wheeew. Now that I got that out of my system, I feel a helluva lot better. Back to work.

Frustration with D&B...

I just got off the phone with D&B where I had a marvelous conversation with a woman who was supposed to help me get some incorrect information corrected on my D&B company report.

Unfortunately, this individual had no interest in doing that… why? Because I haven’t bought the $361 lifetime DUNS number registration package.

I was trying to get my record updated since D&B claimed to have checked with my state’s Secretary of State’s office and didn’t find a corporate charter… and they reflect that statement in my DUNS file. Amazingly, my corporate charter was in my very hands for two weeks before I registered for a DUNS number, so I contact D&B hoping to get that seemingly derogatory statement removed from my DUNS file. What I got was someone pushing the $361 lifetime DUNS registration on me.

“Well sir, the reason it says you don’t have a corporate charter is because you haven’t paid for our lifetime DUNS registration…â€

I rebutted calmly.

“Well sir, there are two different types of DUNS records verified and unverified, and yours is unverified, and the only way to change that is by paying the $330…â€

I rebutted calmly.

“Well sir, if someone were to contact us about your company we really don’t have any information on your company since you haven’t paid for our registration to validate your DUNS number…â€

I rebutted calmly. I inform her that I have my DUNS report in front of me.

“Well sir, D&B doesn’t stand by your company as real until you purchase our DUNS registration. Anyone can get a free DUNS number…â€

I attempt to rebut politely, but since I interrupted her she continued…

“Well sir, I can see that you’re upset. What I’ll do is send you information explaining the difference between the verified and unverified DUNS accounts…â€

At that point I raised my voice for the first time, “I don’t need any sales material to try and sell me on your registration package. What I need is you to fix your mistake on my DUNS report, you guys claim to have talked to the Secretary of State’s office two full weeks after I got my corporate charter and certificate of incorporation, and you have incorrectly reported the information on my report.â€

At some point she interrupted me and offered to transfer me to the Update Office, which I accepted. (The number is 866-834-4699, in case anyone else would like to bypass the sales team.)

Oh really now… and only “real†companies can pay $330 to register the number… come on now. I’m registered with the CCR, registered as a state vendor in one state and as a state approved contractor in another, and have been incorporated for nearly six months. I pay taxes on my business! But, uh-oh, if I don’t pay D&B my business suddenly isn’t real?

This lady reminds me of the people I worked with when I did telemarketing in college. No class, doesn’t listen to a damn thing you say, and keeps harping the sale.

Now once I was transferred to the Update Office, the foreign sounding gentleman who talked to me was very happy to update the information for me… and I didn’t even have to pay the $361. (Although he said it would take 1 to 2 business days for it to show up on the report, so who really knows, maybe they will try and extort me for $330 before they correct THEIR mistake.)

Wheeew. Now that I got that out of my system, I feel a helluva lot better. Back to work.

Wow. I called in the afternoon Friday to get the problem fixed, and as of 10:32am Monday morning, D&B have corrected their mistake... and I didn't have to buy a thing.

So here it is 28 days since I asked for my duns number.. does it actually take 30 DAYS ? WTF Will it just magically appear when I check on their site? Or do I have to do something to see it?

Try searching the D&B business database to see if your company has been added. They might have forgot to mail you the paperwork.

You can register for eupdate through the search system.

Well I called and was told 30 BUSINESS days and to call back on next friday if I dont get the number. What a terrible company they are. I should have just done the Government Contract thing and been done with it.

Well I called and was told 30 BUSINESS days and to call back on next friday if I dont get the number. What a terrible company they are. I should have just done the Government Contract thing and been done with it.

Be glad you did not go through the government site, it can cause you problems down the road (big ones). If you don't get anything after 30 days, call them up.

Did you try searching for your company in the business search function?

Yes I did and have basically everyday. I understand waiting but coming from a business mindset that when you think others are actually doing their jobs and you are sitting on your hands... Nothing gets done and valuable time is wasted.

It also took nearly 30 days, in fact, I think it was 30 days exactly after applying for an duns number that I received it in my email.

if i have a duns number that was obtained when filing as sole proprietorship, can i then update the duns to reflect that its a corp and not a sole prop? i just got an email stating that i have my duns number and i need to call them for it. id like to tell them that its a corp and not a sole prop can i do that or will i need to get a new duns number? i also need to add "inc" to the name they have for my business......is this possible?

Edited by bluesmap

I received my DUNS# 6 months ago and tried to get my eupdate password online and I got an email saying I need to call in.

Sigh, I read this whole thread and hope I can get it without as much hassle as Ive been seeing. If anyone has a current working number to bypass the sales dept please PM me.

Thanks

That was easy.

My file was empty so when she tried to sell me stuff I told her I had absolutely no $$$ cos Im new.

She transferred me to the right dept and after a 2 minute hold I has my password.

I have 2 business registered with DnB, a automotive company that folded in 2001 and another cleaning service which was started in 2005. Both of my companies are listed in business search on the website, but in my account info only the older company is listed. How does this translate for my Paydex? Do they just associate the EIN of my new business with the paydex or is it for my old company with no TLs reporting. I still havent gotten the number even tho i have been in the system for 4 years and have at least 2 TLs (Citibank business cards). Also, how do i get my ID number from EXP?

Experian I just paid for the monitoring and got the number which has been worth it. DNB should be associated with your Federal tax ID.

First of all, if you allow a company to hard sell you, they never stop. Learn how to say NO. Get your point across! Second, using the line for government grants is risky and you are more like to get flagged. If you were to use this expression in addition to "you need it for a potential investor", you are much more likely to get it right away, no hassle, no wasted time. Once again, DO NOT LET ANYONE hard sell you. Any your paydex score is based on your previous 6, yes 6 month period. Use your credit or lose it. If you're just getting started, sign up for a few smaller limit cards, use them, and pay them off every month. Getting started is the most crucial part of building business credit. Mess it up, you'll have one hell of a time rebuilding. A DnB number is not your FEIN. Always make sure the information you provide is complete and correct. Trying to fix any incorrect information is sure to be a hassle.

I called DnB today to get my Eupdate password and got it with no hassle!

one step closer to business credit land!!!

:) Your on the right path, don't let the bullies at D&B knock you off it!!

Something that came to my mind and after some research fueled my desire for knowledge a little more.

I have been in business for a year now but I just got my DnB # and started the process to build business credit.

After reading the posts i see that, in order to acquire a Paydex, I need at least 5 TLs on my DnB profile and most of you suggest getting accounts with Quill, Viking etc.

Out of all the companies I deal with, not including my utilities, 5 already have accounts through DnB.

Now, how can I add them to my business profile? Do I have to purchase the credit builder to do that?

If I only have COD with them, can i still add them to my profile?

This companies are big accounts to me, I average 30,000 a month in expenses with them...

Anyone knows?

Something that came to my mind and after some research fueled my desire for knowledge a little more.

I have been in business for a year now but I just got my DnB # and started the process to build business credit.

After reading the posts i see that, in order to acquire a Paydex, I need at least 5 TLs on my DnB profile and most of you suggest getting accounts with Quill, Viking etc.

Out of all the companies I deal with, not including my utilities, 5 already have accounts through DnB.

Now, how can I add them to my business profile? Do I have to purchase the credit builder to do that?

This companies are big accounts to me, I average 30,000 a month in expenses with them...

Anyone knows?

I received my paydex with 3tls. So not sure if you really need 5tls. There are tons of variables in regards to business credit, no set formula, every business produces different numbers, If you have high trade lines that aren't reporting to Dnb, at some point you have to ask yourself is spending a few hundred bucks to add those tradelines (if applicable) worth it for your business. Also you may want to check your experian as well, maybe some lines have reported there as well.

Anyone knows?

COD shows up on your credit report as a cash experience. This is a different section of your D&B file. It will help a little, but not as much as a "term" account. Regardless, call them to see why they haven't reported if they truly report to D&B.

I called DnB today to get my Eupdate password and got it with no hassle!

one step closer to business credit land!!!

:unsure: Your on the right path, don't let the bullies at D&B knock you off it!!

Hello Greywolf,

What number did you call to get the eupdate password so easily? The number I call (1-888-814-1435) takes me directly to what I believe is more of a sales department... and they do just that, attempt to sale,

It really depends on the rep that you get on the line from D&B. Some are more aggressive than others.

I remember guiding a friend of mine and I was with him when he got on the phone with D&B. The rep told him that he had NO duns number and that he has to pay this and that ...anyway as he was talking I was checking his e mails and we found the Duns number e mailed to him 1 month ago !

I told him to politely get off the phone. Then we applied for the e password on the website and got it in the email like 1 day after that.

Always keep a great relation with D&B. One sure way is to BUY one of their packages as soon as you can afford it .

I don't know if anyone already posted the DNB Dispute Department's phone number before, but just in case, here it is: 877-753-1442

If you have a late payment, or something that's taking your paydex down, call this number and tell the rep that you checked your dnb file through eupdate and saw some inaccuracies. As a result of that, your paydex is low.

They will start a dispute. They won't tell you which company is putting the negative remark on your report, but they will confirm it with the company. Mostly, they will delete the negative item.

If the info is accurate, then they will give you the name of the company and ask you to deal with the company.

I used this dispute department twice, and they removed the negative remark.