Sign in to follow this  
GEORGE

SIGN YOUR CARD!!!

The only problem is I believe that the CC compnies hold you responsible if you don't sign the back.  Whereas they are more willing to help you if you signed it and the retailer didn't catch the mistake.

If your card was stolen how would they know you didn't sign it?

ASSUMING IT IS RECOVERED AT POS

Someone explain to me why so many people here insist (and rightly so) that CAs, OCs, and CRAs follow the laws and rules of credit reporting and collecting, yet will not follow a simple rule themselves.

A credit card is not valid unless signed.

It doesn't say "sign if you want to." It doesn't say "write see ID here."

Pretty simple. If you don't want to follow the terms of agreement, don't apply for the card.

I disagree --- I don't sign the back of mine, simply because I WANT them to ask for my id! If I sign the back and someone steals the card they probably won't ask for an id -- If I don't sign it they will ask for an id and the person who stole my card won't be able to use it. Simple logic.

GIVE THE CASHIER THE CARD AND YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AT THE SAME TIME!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED

I'LL KEEP MY DRIVERS LICENSE IN MY WALLET WHERE IT BELONGS!!!

I found a solution to this years ago. I "sign" my name in a straight upright print. Completely spelled out, very neat.

But my true and accurate legal signature is not that.

No one has ever "compared" signatures before.

Technically your card is not valid unless signed. 

Having said that, I had to sign my own card at a store the other day. 

Of course, almost 2 years later, I hadn't even taken the activation sticker off of it.  Half the cards in my wallet still have that on it.  :dntknw:

I sign the back of my card with "PLEASE CHECK ID"....The few that have actually Looked at the signature stripo did a double take and asked me for my ID...Most clearks NEVER ask me for ID!

I disagree --- I don't sign the back of mine, simply because I WANT them to ask for my id! If I sign the back and someone steals the card they probably won't ask for an id -- If I don't sign it they will ask for an id and the person who stole my card won't be able to use it. Simple logic.

Or, the person who stole your card signs it - in their handwriting - and it makes it easier for them to use.

NO SIGNATURE ON THE BACK OF THE CARD...

ME--->I NEED A LICENSE NO SIGNATURE ON THE CARD...

"IT SAYS CID" WITH ATTITUDE

OH YOUR NAME IS CID???

WHY DOES IT SAY MARY SMITH ON THE FRONT OF THE CARD???

George,

This reminds me! The other night we bought the kids some new shoes. Shoe store asked for ID. My DH thought it was great and complimented the lady..knucklehead! LOL As soon as we left I informed him that was a big no no. I didn't raise a stink at the store because I figured I'd just look like a *****.

I know it's technically against the rules, but sometimes I think we do ourselves a disservice when we rail against everything just because it's against the rules. I see the asking for ID thing, while annoying, as a legitimate protection for me as a consumer, so I grudgingly comply. I predict these rules will cease within the next couple years, and card issuers might even begin to require checking of IDs.

For what it's worth, I sign my card and write "check id" on the back.

George,

This reminds me! The other night we bought the kids some new shoes. Shoe store asked for ID. My DH thought it was great and complimented the lady..knucklehead! LOL As soon as we left I informed him that was a big no no. I didn't raise a stink at the store because I figured I'd just look like a *****.

I know it's technically against the rules, but sometimes I think we do ourselves a disservice when we rail against everything just because it's against the rules. I see the asking for ID thing, while annoying, as a legitimate protection for me as a consumer, so I grudgingly comply. I predict these rules will cease within the next couple years, and card issuers might even begin to require checking of IDs.

For what it's worth, I sign my card and write "check id" on the back.

I'm willing to accept ID REQUIRED

BUT THEY MUST REMOVE THE SIGNATURE STRIPS FROM THE CARDS AND 100% OF THE BUSINESSES NEED TO PARTICIPATE...

You can't have it both ways so no ON-LINE SALES...NO PHONE SALES...NO US MAIL SALES (IN PERSON SALES ONLY)

I still don't see how anyone's protecting themselves by NOT signing the card.    :rofl:

They're not. In fact, they're assisting the thief. All a person has to do is sign the card, with the cardholder's name, in their own handwriting, and voila!... legitimacy in the eyes of the merchant. Especially if the thief knows "the rules" about asking for ID.

I worked in retail for about 3 years. If the card from the customer asked me to see an ID on the back, I'd ask for it. If it was signed, I'd match the signature to the receipt (but only if i wasn't in a crabby mood). If it didn't have a signature or a request to see ID on the back, I'd do neither of the above.

Sometimes, if I had a long line of customers, I would just swipe the card and give it back to the customer not requesting ID or matching signatures on receipt & card. Sorry...but I just don't have the time in these situations.

Edited by boyblue_77

Had a FirstUSA card confiscated from me because I didn't have it signed at POS. Got angry and called FirstUSA about it and demanded I be reissued a card. They put me through hoops to get my card back but it was worth the pain. Found out about that there were about$4000 in charges that I didn't make and both myself and FUSA started investigating.

I spent months sorting through my legit charges and having to prove that the others were not my charges. To my betterment, FirstUSA stood up for me and when I brought up that my card wasn't signed and they directed the POS to confiscate it, I had legs because all purchases made by me or another who was falsely using my numbers was credited back to me. Over $8000 in charges over a three year span by me and by another. My debt was expunged and I do not show any activity with FUSA on my credit report. However I pretty much had already paid my debt to them before I knew any better. I probably got about $1200 free and clear.

They never gave me another card and refused to open a new account under my name.

CVCII ID came into existence, at least to me, shortly thereafter.

Any POS can actually confiscate a CC that is not signed. It just doesn't happen too often with the cashiers at WAl-Mart who have a line 10 deep. That is why the POS swipe terminals have become prevalent.

My buddy Mike owns the beer distributorship where we live. He gets paid from his CC terminal only if he gets the CVCII. Same over the phone if you buy something. The retailer gets paid only if they have the CVCII.

In other words, if you just give the numbers on the front for a purchase, you can dispute it.

Had a FirstUSA card confiscated from me because I didn't have it signed at POS. Got angry and called FirstUSA about it and demanded I be reissued a card. They put me through hoops to get my card back but it was worth the pain. Found out about that there were about$4000 in charges that I didn't make and both myself and FUSA started investigating.

I spent months sorting through my legit charges and having to prove that the others were not my charges. To my betterment, FirstUSA stood up for me and when I brought up that my card wasn't signed and they directed the POS to confiscate it, I had legs because all purchases made by me or another who was falsely using my numbers was credited back to me. Over $8000 in charges over a three year span by me and by another. My debt was expunged and I do not show any activity with FUSA on my credit report. However I pretty much had already paid my debt to them before I knew any better. I probably got about $1200 free and clear.

They never gave me another card and refused to open a new account under my name.

CVCII ID came into existence, at least to me, shortly thereafter.

Any POS can actually confiscate a CC that is not signed. It just doesn't happen too often with the cashiers at WAl-Mart who have a line 10 deep. That is why the POS swipe terminals have become prevalent.

My buddy Mike owns the beer distributorship where we live. He gets paid from his CC terminal only if he gets the CVCII. Same over the phone if you buy something. The retailer gets paid only if they have the CVCII.

In other words, if you just give the numbers on the front for a purchase, you can dispute it.

I'm confused. Did the bogus charges start before or after the card was confiscated?

I guess that is with the idea that they may get the card back.   Today it does not really matter whether you sign it or not.  Most stores have do it yourself swipers. So the cashier never touches your card

Even with the do-it-yourself swipers,

I have had cashiers take the card from me, see my signature and still ask for ID.

They stare, examine and do a psychological profile on me. Then they swipe the card themselves behind the register.

Bastages. if I reach for the self-swipey they ask for ID.

I can NEVER use my CC without an ID...NEVER.

The only time is if I use my Debit card w/pin# or Sam's Club which has a photo on it.

What's the point?????

CP, me too. Maybe they are not used to ethnic people with credit cards. No flames wanted or needed! :search: Thanks.

I work at Sears and I always check the back of the card for a sig. I keep the card at the register until they sign the reciept to make sure the signatures match.

Some people are real j@ck@sses when I ask for their ID, I tell people that they need to sign their card, mostly Sears Card, because we're not supposed to accept it without one.

Most people act like I just called them out for their first born child, and it really pisses me off, but then again, nobody likes retail sales people...

I work at Sears and I always check the back of the card for a sig. I keep the card at the register until they sign the reciept to make sure the signatures match.

Some people are real j@ck@sses when I ask for their ID, I tell people that they need to sign their card, mostly Sears Card, because we're not supposed to accept it without one.

Most people act like I just called them out for their first born child, and it really pisses me off, but then again, nobody likes retail sales people...

NOT ONLY CAN WE REFUSE TO ACCEPT AN UNSIGNED CARD (VOID IF NOT SIGNED)...BUT WE CAN REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON

I like retail sales people, I married one! Now she is a school teacher, now there is a respected job!!!

Thanks, I signed all my cards last night, I think I found five unsigned.

I've always signed my cards because of the void if not signed note on them, my sig is usually scrunched anyway because of limited room so isn't my usual signature.

I figure if anyone ever stole the card and it was blank it would be easy for them to put their own sig on it. That and if they had my actual card they'd probably have my wallet or purse and would find my sig on something else - it's pretty rare for a retail cashier to even compare the signatures around here, usually only if the mgr is near or they seem new to the job.

chris

I sign all of my cards, but I welcome it when they ask for an ID. In Vegas, nearly everywhere we went, they asked for ID. I don't have any problem with that.

Same thing in Texas, they ask for it everywhere...

Here in DC, hardly ever.

I guess that is with the idea that they may get the card back.   Today it does not really matter whether you sign it or not.  Most stores have do it yourself swipers. So the cashier never touches your card

I have had cashiers take the card from me, see my signature and still ask for ID.

They stare, examine and do a psychological profile on me. Then they swipe the card themselves behind the register.

I can NEVER use my CC without an ID...NEVER.

The only time is if I use my Debit card w/pin# or Sam's Club which has a photo on it.

What's the point?????

I'm sorry, C.P., but before we can allow you to post this, I'm afraid we'll need to see some I.D.

One thing I learned from this thread...

Apparently, GEORGE is a register jockey / manager.

... and I had him pegged for the guy who controls all the traffic lights...

... or maybe working for Ted Turner adding COLOR to all those old movies...

This gets me. They put in the self-service card swiper so that I can do the work, then the cashier asks for my card anyway. If they're going to handle the card anyway, why not just keep the old equipment and swipe it themselves?

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. tmkats
      tmkats
    2. Kmlingo5
      Kmlingo5
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    J9196
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines