Insurance experts please!!!

verbeek98

The last post in this topic was posted 6077 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Yesterday I went over to a friends house to cookout and whatnot to celebrate the holiday. I parked my car in front of the curb right in front of their house. We were all playing poker in the garage with the door open when all of the sudden I hear a crunch. We all know the sound, some 16 year old girl from across the street had backed into my car. Much to my horror, I see the car speed away very quickly. Of course, my natural reatction was to run after it and I got the licsence plate number. I was about 3 blocks down from running and when I came back the car was back to the scene and everyone was telling me to calm down. Of course I was upset, someone hit my car, LEFT THE SCENE, and Im supposed to be calm. Anyways, the girl said she didnt know she hit me and thought it was the curb. They are neighbors of my friends, no harm done.....shes back.

So we exchanged info and I told them I wanted the police to come out to do a write a report just to cover my butt. When the officer got on the scece he asked what happened and told me we have some options. One was that we would write a report but both hers and my insurance would go up. WTF? Are you kidding me?? This cant be true, and I let him know I thought so. We ended up getting "blue reports" which are reports we fill out oursevlves and send into the state.

I called my insurance agency just to make sure and she was a moron in her own right.... So someone tell me, is that true or not?? I haveheard that before but I just want to know nextime this happens.

I'm no expert here, but I have had a few dealings with insurance companies! What you were told does not sound right UNLESS she was an uninsured motorist in which case, if you had comprehensive insurance (or insurance to cover uninsured motorists), your insurance company would pick up the cost for repairs and your premiums would most likely go up. But, if she had insurance and it was determined that she was "at fault" her insurance company should cover the repairs and her insurance would go up.

Of course, it all depends on how the claim is written and the insurance company! My sister got hit in a parking lot (which is a tricky situation anyway) and the daughter of the lady who hit her was a claim adjuster and wrote up the claim in such a way that my sister ended up being liable for the damage to both cars??!

So...you never know...but in this situation, it seems pretty clear cut (to me at least).

I'm no expert here, but I have had a few dealings with insurance companies!  What you were told does not sound right UNLESS she was an uninsured motorist in which case, if you had comprehensive insurance (or insurance to cover uninsured motorists), your insurance company would pick up the cost for repairs and your premiums would most likely go up.  But, if she had insurance and it was determined that she was "at fault" her insurance company should cover the repairs and her insurance would go up. 

Of course, it all depends on how the claim is written and the insurance company!  My sister got hit in a parking lot (which is a tricky situation anyway) and the daughter of the lady who hit her was a claim adjuster and wrote up the claim in such a way that my sister ended up being liable for the damage to both cars??!

So...you never know...but in this situation, it seems pretty clear cut (to me at least).

She was totally in the wrong, I wasnt even in the car. But you're right - I thought was he said was BS, but I cant find anywhere where thats an absolute truth. And sure her insurance will cover but w/o a police report can they refute the incident?? I have plenty of witnesses to account for what heppened....

In my opinion, the policeman was wrong in telling you NOT to have a police report made.

YOUR insurance Co. CAN hold you liable for any damages THEY may have to pay because of your not getting the accident reported properly.

The 15 year old may be covered under her parent's policy, OR MAY NOT.

Many parents choose NOT to inform their insurance company when there is a new teen driver as THEIR rate will skyrocket.

She may only have a learners permit, and was driving without a licensed driver.

You need to have the police come back and fill out a FULL accident report.

You need to know her parent's insurance information, her license # and it's status.AND you MUST report this to your insurance Company, THAT CLAUSE IS IN YOUR POLICY.

I have seen situations where ALL the damages were charged to the innocent victim, including INJURIES claimed by the offending driver because THEY claimed the car they hit was illegally parked and caused a hazard.

I'm an insurance agent and can tell you exactly what will happen. Your loss will be covered by the other persons property damage coverage. If they are uninsured, then either your uninsured motorist property damage, or collision will cover this. If this is the case, then your insurance company will go back after the other party for damages (subrogation).

Either way, you weren't at fault, and you should see no increase in premiums. Don't ever listen to police officers, as they no very little about insurance and how it works.

We had a similar incident. My car was parked in the parking lot of our apartments. Some guy just rammed it and the car next to it. He had no insurance. My uninsured motorist fully covered it and my rental car, no deductible. My insurance company sued HIM.. I never had to do a thing, nor did it affect my rates.

I am 99% sure we did a police report. It was almost 5 years ago and I had a homebirth the same day, so I was upstairs with the new baby...DH had to handle the whole thing LOL

ALWAYS!!!!ALWAYS!!!! DID I SAY ALWAYS!!!! GET A POLICE REPORT!!!

I can`t begin to tell you how many people go to court...they tell the Judge they did`nt file a police report when asked for it. When you tell a Judge the Police said not to fill one out they seem to NEVER believe you were told that by an Officer.

Make sure you keep a copy of what you do have.

Good Luck.

INSURANCE COMPANIES PRIMARY JOB IS TO COLLECT PREMIUMS

"IF" they can refuse to pay for a HIT & RUN ON A PARKED CAR...more money for them

"IF" they can raise your rates for a HIT & RUN ON A PARKED CAR...more money for them

well i had a similar thing happen, i posted somewhere else about it, but in short my car was in a marked stall and some (insert explinative here) hit the rear bumper of the car dragged said bumper halfway down the street before it came loose. jerk never stoppped. police report filed, witnesses statements taken. Cold french fries eaten. Insurance rates spiked. Dumped ins company (AIG).

was treated as a claim. Cause i didnt have the 2k to pay outta pocket. So i guess it is a little different......

well i had a similar thing happen, i posted somewhere else about it, but in short my car was in a marked stall and some (insert explinative here) hit the rear bumper of the car dragged said bumper halfway down the street before it came loose. jerk never stoppped. police report filed, witnesses statements taken. Cold french fries eaten. Insurance rates spiked. Dumped ins company (AIG).

was treated as a claim. Cause i didnt have the 2k to pay outta pocket. So i guess it is a little different......

well this wasnt a true hit and run, she did come back and give ins info. I will file a claim on her ins not on mine...

If you can provably blame the damage on a specific other person then your premium won't be increased. (If "someone" hits your parked car and you can't find who it was, you may be better off not filing a claim as they will increase your premium). Even if the other person wasn't insured, your company can still sue them.

The key is the proof. DO file a police report and try to convince the police to charge the other person with a violation. If there is a court date, DO appear in court (as a witness) and tell the judge your side. Once the other person is convicted it will be dificult for the insurance company to attach any blame to you.

well this wasnt a true hit and run, she did come back and give ins info. I will file a claim on her ins not on mine...

Call your insurance company and have them look into the other persons insurance and such. My insurance company made sure everything went smooth when a person hit me once. Even if they don't have insurance, I hope you have uninsured motorists and they'll just sue them back for the money.

The last post in this topic was posted 6077 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.